Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
Can you use this to smith non-weapon-metal weapons? For when your only metal ore is native gold or garnierite?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

I really wish Toady would add more industry to sugar. Something like mixing milk and processed sugar to make frosting that we could then to foods with and sculpt/engrave with images into the frosting using the new design engraving options. Dwarves would get happy/sad/mad from eating food with stuff like liked/mourned/hated engraved in it. It would add a lot of fun to the otherwise kind of bland kitchen options. Maybe add baking too at the same time so you could have a whole cake industry.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
That sounds like the can of worms coins are currently stuck with.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

Crimson Harvest posted:

Can you use this to smith non-weapon-metal weapons? For when your only metal ore is native gold or garnierite?

I haven't gotten that far in a 0.42.06 game yet, but I bet you'll have to do something like that with DFHack (if it can force that) still.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

scamtank posted:

There's a few jobs it still doesn't involve. If you want to dictate something like what goes in that next batch of roasts or which trash wood only should get burned into charcoal without horrible stockpile-link-ban-forbid tweaking, DFHack still has duties to pull.

I'm fine with that, the new options seem to target production chains that output permanent products, who cares what wood gets burned or what roast gets eaten. Yes, there's going to be a possible "suboptimal" effect on wealth, but wealth tied up in consumables is literally worthless in DF.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Omnicarus posted:

I really wish Toady would add more industry to sugar. Something like mixing milk and processed sugar to make frosting that we could then to foods with and sculpt/engrave with images into the frosting using the new design engraving options. Dwarves would get happy/sad/mad from eating food with stuff like liked/mourned/hated engraved in it. It would add a lot of fun to the otherwise kind of bland kitchen options. Maybe add baking too at the same time so you could have a whole cake industry.
Hell, cooking in general. Meat and vegetables can rot without preservation, so you have to pickle them in brine, salt them, dry them to jerky, pack them in sugar, bake them into pies and cakes, can them in glass jars and clay jugs, whatever. Roast flour and water into bread, possibly with cheese and garlic and other delightful additions. Add sugar and syrup for icing, eggs and oil to make yummy cakes. Maybe something for new reactions, because Urist McEscoffier has come up with something new to make with 2 llama meat, 1 peacock egg, and 1 pig milk. I call it Elephant de Urist.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I think that would be more fun in adventure mode when that mode is fleshed out but Id rather it stay a bit abstracted for fortress mode.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Met posted:

I think that would be more fun in adventure mode when that mode is fleshed out but Id rather it stay a bit abstracted for fortress mode.

This is Dwarf Fortress we're talking about. The moment Toady decides to implement cooking properly you know the kitchen will be asking if you want white bread, brown bread, rye bread, spelt bread...

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

Tenebrais posted:

This is Dwarf Fortress we're talking about. The moment Toady decides to implement cooking properly you know the kitchen will be asking if you want white bread, brown bread, rye bread, spelt bread...

Straight, Sponge, Poolish, or Sourdough.

You know breadbaking would force players to use more than plump helmets to make liquor, because you'd obviously need your own yeast or sourdough sources.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Honestly, I'd be down.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

I think that cheap eastern copy, A Game of Dwarves, had a pretty good idea going with food stores and feasty times.

You have an abstracted "ready food stock" that goes up when you throw meats and vegs into the kitchen pots and slowly goes down to simulate spoilage. Dining tables act as portals into the meal pool that dispense meals when asked and subtract the biomass from the total. The meals themselves are generic, but dining tables keep track of what raw materials they've swallowed. That way the meals can be flagged to let eaters know whether they're having their favorites or not.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Tenebrais posted:

Thankfully no, now that 42.06 allows you to set job materials. You just tell it to make bread, and set that job to use white/whole wheat/rye/whatever flour. This will instead require the querns have to have options for making white/brown/whole grain flour, but that should be simple for the same-ish reason. Sourdough/poolish/sponge fermentation will almost certainly be a thing, though, and so might marbled bread, baguette/sandwich/boule loaves, cheese/garlic/pepper additions, and possibly even shaping the dough into interesting figures. This is a loaf of bread. It is a well-designed image of a hedgehog. It menaces with spikes of dough. It is adorned with a honey glaze.

Or, to make things even worse the other way: He starts tracking calories for each food item, so dwarves now have to eat beyond simply shambling down to the food stockpile every couple months. Or macronutrients; feed your military dwarves a high-protein diet, give the carbs to your workers.

FalloutGod
Dec 14, 2006
So whats the oldest fort everyone's ever had? I'm still new so I tend not to get past year two or three before I restart thinking I could do the beginning part better in some way or another. Post some screenshots to if you don't mind. I like seeing how people organize. Also any favorite intelligent and well versed in the game LP'rs? Captnduck seems to be the go to guy in that respect but I have a hard time getting passed his accent. Does toady ever post about the forts hes created?

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

FalloutGod posted:

So whats the oldest fort everyone's ever had? I'm still new so I tend not to get past year two or three before I restart thinking I could do the beginning part better in some way or another. Post some screenshots to if you don't mind. I like seeing how people organize. Also any favorite intelligent and well versed in the game LP'rs? Captnduck seems to be the go to guy in that respect but I have a hard time getting passed his accent. Does toady ever post about the forts hes created?

If you don't love his smooth Dutch accent you need to reconsider your life choices. Hell I was just listening to him play euiv earlier without even bothering to watch.

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

hello i am your heart how nice to meet you

darthbob88 posted:

Hell, cooking in general. Meat and vegetables can rot without preservation, so you have to pickle them in brine, salt them, dry them to jerky, pack them in sugar, bake them into pies and cakes, can them in glass jars and clay jugs, whatever. Roast flour and water into bread, possibly with cheese and garlic and other delightful additions. Add sugar and syrup for icing, eggs and oil to make yummy cakes. Maybe something for new reactions, because Urist McEscoffier has come up with something new to make with 2 llama meat, 1 peacock egg, and 1 pig milk. I call it Elephant de Urist.

I want this so bad. Just the addition of salt, and making salt an important resource would improve the game for me. Salt is a vital commodity that has driven trade, exploration, and warfare throughout history. I don't really even care how it would affect gameplay - the fact that it's handwaved away in my favorite history simulator just bothers me.

I have opinions about salt, you guys :spergin:

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Esme posted:

We'll take them with a grain of salt.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

FalloutGod posted:

75 years of megaproject fun.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

So the werejackal guy I had locked in the hospital got out somehow and I don't know how he did it. I saw cats going up to two different doors of the hospital and having questions marks flash over them, then suddenly he just left the room and two of the doors were unlocked. I assigned him to a squad and had him attack one of the merchant dwarfs who never left and just stand around outside, who thankfully killed him. Can dwarfs or cats unlock doors?

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Do dwarves die of old age?

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Not good ones. But yes.

FalloutGod
Dec 14, 2006

Gibbo posted:

If you don't love his smooth Dutch accent you need to reconsider your life choices. Hell I was just listening to him play euiv earlier without even bothering to watch.

Haha I totally understand listening to certain people. One of my favorites in that regard is PlumpHelmetPunk but with the Captn I just can't understand what hes saying sometimes which sucks. When I'm not just watching for entertainment and trying to learn having crisp clear communication helps. He does seem like a cool dude though. Hmm... I guess I'll start watching his videos more. Maybe I'll get better parsing what hes saying the more I listen.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

FalloutGod posted:

Haha I totally understand listening to certain people. One of my favorites in that regard is PlumpHelmetPunk but with the Captn I just can't understand what hes saying sometimes which sucks. When I'm not just watching for entertainment and trying to learn having crisp clear communication helps. He does seem like a cool dude though. Hmm... I guess I'll start watching his videos more. Maybe I'll get better parsing what hes saying the more I listen.

If you like plump helmets so much, you should drop by the Arena thread. :v:

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

guys i made a mitsake i forgot this only worked with lava

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Kitfox88 posted:

guys i made a mitsake i forgot this only worked with lava

It works with water if you force it through a diagonal connection on the z-level you want it to stop on.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Ah. Knowledge for the future, then. :suicide:

How does desalination work again? Screw pump somewhere before the well/etc I want to draw clean water from, right?

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Kitfox88 posted:

Ah. Knowledge for the future, then. :suicide:

How does desalination work again? Screw pump somewhere before the well/etc I want to draw clean water from, right?

That'll de-murk it, but I think if you want to desalt it you have to make sure it doesn't touch natural floors or walls after the pumping process.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

Esme posted:

I want this so bad. Just the addition of salt, and making salt an important resource would improve the game for me. Salt is a vital commodity that has driven trade, exploration, and warfare throughout history. I don't really even care how it would affect gameplay - the fact that it's handwaved away in my favorite history simulator just bothers me.

You know, forcing food preservation as an early game / all game issue would help with the whole "I HAVE 800K UNITS OF FOOD" problem, and add a nice lurking "threat" beyond "I wonder when my first vampire/were thing will show up"

Of course until animals actually require food this could entirely be bypassed by keeping an infinite number of chickens and eggs so :cripes:.

Also if salt had to be a thing, coastal maps could use pumps to have salt pools. But then toady would need to make it so evaporation checks for crystalization etc etc etc.

Is this why we play this game?

Gibbo fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Feb 13, 2016

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

Marshall/Kirtaner 8/24 nevar forget! (omg pedo)

Gibbo posted:

Is this why we play this game?

What game?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
That'd also be a nice variety of localized craftsmanship, kind of like the real world developed a lot of diverse means of preserving food (drying, salting, pickling, fermenting, candying etc)

Tyshalob
Apr 10, 2008

om nom nom i eat ur town

Has anyone come up with a tool to replace Runesmith?

reading
Jul 27, 2013

Esme posted:

Jesus god DF is your favorite HISTORY simulator? Yikes!

Are you one of those people who accepts dragons, elves, and literal magic in your fiction, but then your immersion is ruined by homosexuality or female leaders?

(I'm jokingly referring to the backlash when Toady introduced homosexuality/bisexuality and people on the DF forums said it was "unrealistic" and "would never happen in Dwarven culture" and so on)

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

my favorite part of that was when someone on the bay13 forums tried to mod them all to be heterosexual again and broke it so that absolutely nothing wanted to have sex

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Much like the real world

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

Johnny Joestar posted:

my favorite part of that was when someone on the bay13 forums tried to mod them all to be heterosexual again and broke it so that absolutely nothing wanted to have sex

actual code from the Rubble mod system
code:
[!gays = (eval (rubble:configvar "USER_FIX_GAYS"))]
(if (type [gays] index) {}{
	[gays = <map 
		HUMAN=true

[!foundgay = false]

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
USER_FIX_GAYS

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

setval PURGE_QUEERS

the vaguely creepy bit is that it only applies to dwarves and humans. So it can't use even the thin excuse that it'd fix livestock breeding

to top it off there's also a comment clarifying that elves and goblins can keep their sickening ways

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

[!foundgay = false]

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

dwarves get really loving angry when birds fly overhead

everyones all vengeful because some keas wont piss off

just remembered they steal poo poo as well, i better make some crossbows

does lava still travel fast or can i avoid sacrificing a dwarf?

also i have a diplomat in my fort, he has met with my leader but now he's just pissing around and not leaving. what's going on?

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
Really excited for the next starter pack release. Want to choose my own engraving symbols, need twbt to live.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

hi

its been ages since ive had one of these and i dont have a military or anything. how do i work out how much of a threat this is without throwing dwarves at it? (i dont have a lot of dwarves)