Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
The funky thing that happened is a garbage press.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Yeah you should definitely get a replacement for that.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
I sent a message to Relapse pretty much the moment I saw it, so I'm just waiting for them to get back to me.

Perpetual Hiatus
Oct 29, 2011

Well I finally managed to press my 7" after literal years, so much stronger than it originally would have been in so many ways. And it works like I dreamed on vinyl, all the dirt blends into the hiss and you cant tell whats what and it starts to crack out at the end due to being right to the inside of the disc...Its loving alive finally!

Its alive!!

Its not a 78 but whatever.

Obligatory box shot.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
Congrats, that's really awesome.

caligulamprey posted:

Prime Amoeba Records-ing while in California on vacation.

I saw this and was like "Oingo Boingo made the It Follows Soundtrack???" for far too long before realizing I'm a dumbass

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Perpetual Hiatus posted:

Well I finally managed to press my 7" after literal years, so much stronger than it originally would have been in so many ways. And it works like I dreamed on vinyl, all the dirt blends into the hiss and you cant tell whats what and it starts to crack out at the end due to being right to the inside of the disc...Its loving alive finally!

Its alive!!

I have no idea what this is, but it looks pretty, at the very least. :shobon:

In other news, I won the Bjork sweepstakes (thanks again, Mulva). And now some lucky goon will win a free download:

Lastly a trip to do some crate digging in Richmond yesterday proved fruitful:

I'd only listened to East of Underground before now, but that alone was worth the $25 asking price, especially compared to discogs.

Moai Ou
May 18, 2004

WE LOVE SHOOTING GAMES!

Fun Shoe

Ballz posted:

I have no idea what this is, but it looks pretty, at the very least. :shobon:

In other news, I won the Bjork sweepstakes (thanks again, Mulva). And now some lucky goon will win a free download:

Looks like I'm the lucky goon. Thank you!

fromsinkingsands
Oct 10, 2005

Gotta find Jason.
GoHastings has a 30% off sale if you use the code LOVETHEPOP. A majority of what I had in my cart was discounted, with a few exceptions. Definitely some good deals to be found:

Radiohead - King of Limbs - $10.54
Flaming Lips - Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots - $13.43
Incubus - SCIENCE - $13.17
Oldboy Soundtrack - $11.05
Sufjan Stevens - Carrie & Lowell - $9.41
Henry Mancini Collection - $0.91 (B-BAM!)
Sigur Ros - Agaetis Byrjun - $17.50
Portishead - Dummy - $15.56
Deltron 3030 - S/T - $10.91
Arca - Xen - $10.15

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Been looking for Dummy, but they only ship to the US. :negative:

I did pick up a couple iconic electronic albums recently and I reserved a special one that should be coming into the shop this weekend. :toot:

Edit: Just remembered I still have a couple out of print EBM records on the way too, I'll post the whole haul once they all come in.

Jehde fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Feb 12, 2016

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

Thanks for the tip. I've been wanting the Ramones S/T for awhile and didn't want to pay inflated vinyl prices. $11 is good for me.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

fromsinkingsands posted:

GoHastings has a 30% off sale if you use the code LOVETHEPOP. A majority of what I had in my cart was discounted, with a few exceptions. Definitely some good deals to be found:

Radiohead - King of Limbs - $10.54
Flaming Lips - Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots - $13.43
Incubus - SCIENCE - $13.17
Oldboy Soundtrack - $11.05
Sufjan Stevens - Carrie & Lowell - $9.41
Henry Mancini Collection - $0.91 (B-BAM!)
Sigur Ros - Agaetis Byrjun - $17.50
Portishead - Dummy - $15.56
Deltron 3030 - S/T - $10.91
Arca - Xen - $10.15

They also have 35% off all used with IHEARTYOU this weekend.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

LOVETHEPOP isn't working for me. :emo:

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU
So Massive Attack is coming out with a new EP release. It'd be the first one I'd be able to get on the ground floor since I started collecting but right now as far as I can tell it's only available in their store in the UK and I'm not sure I can justify spending $40 on a record with only four songs.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I've got a question that isn't 100% on-topic, but if anyone's going to know how to deal with it, it'll be this thread.

I've got a component system I occasionally run my turntable through, when it's not going into my PC, and I just had a sudden urge to listen to the radio for a bit (we've got a station that spun off the local NPR station that plays great stuff around the clock) and I realized it doesn't have an antenna. On top of that, being bad at electronics, I have no idea what I'm looking for to plug into the antenna jacks (multiple) that are on the back of the core unit here. It's got a 75 ohm and 300 ohm FM jack and a separate jack for an AM antenna. What any of this means to me, the consumer, in 2016, I couldn't tell you.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Start with speaker wire and make a T shape on the wall behind the system. If that doesn't work you might have to buy something but it should be fine.

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012
If anyone is interested, Academy on 18th just priced a huge stack of Sarah 7"s and some 10"s.

I got the eternal 7" and popkiss 7" and the rest is for a friend but I get to listen to them until popfest in May. :twisted:

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

BigFactory posted:

Start with speaker wire and make a T shape on the wall behind the system. If that doesn't work you might have to buy something but it should be fine.

Any particular jack or just try 'em all? Would I need to then split it again or run an extra wire to get AM as well?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Allen Wren posted:

Any particular jack or just try 'em all? Would I need to then split it again or run an extra wire to get AM as well?

Aren't there usually 2 fm jacks? You can find directions to build a real dipole antenna but unless you're trying to pickup a weak signal you should be able to just play around. Split your wire in two after a bit so you can have one side go one way and one side the other way.

And I think am likes a loop? Not sure on that.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

BigFactory posted:

Aren't there usually 2 fm jacks? You can find directions to build a real dipole antenna but unless you're trying to pickup a weak signal you should be able to just play around. Split your wire in two after a bit so you can have one side go one way and one side the other way.

And I think am likes a loop? Not sure on that.

I'll gently caress around with it, thanks. I'm gonna need more wire, though, I thought I had a bunch laying around, looks like I'm wrong.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Allen Wren posted:

I'll gently caress around with it, thanks. I'm gonna need more wire, though, I thought I had a bunch laying around, looks like I'm wrong.

I don't think you need a lot. 3 or 4 feet should be enough.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
Kind - Rocket Science.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

A lot of my recent discogs pickups have been coming from Germany. It's mostly out of practicality; a lot of things I want I see listed from Britain or the Netherlands, but their costs and overseas shipping are ridiculous. For whatever reason, I've been finding the German listings to be much more affordable. The following all cost between 10 and 20 dollars, and that's with shipping included.

Jneiro Jarel - Big Bounce Theory Part 2 EP.
I've been a huge fan of Jneiro since I first heard Shape of Broad Minds back around 2008 or so, and his Fauna LP is probably in my all-time top 10 albums. This is from a few years before that, and is an EP of some alternate mixes to songs from his album Three Piece Puzzle.

Daft Punk - Harder Better Faster Stronger Hip Hop Remixes
There's a bunch of different versions of this release, I wanted to make sure I had one featuring the Slum Village remix of Aerodynamic. And I admit I'm a bit of a sucker for the :nyoron:

Ghostfunk
Bootleg of unofficial, Afro-funkcentric Ghostface Killah remixes. It seems about once a year a new pressing is made on different colored wax. It's really, really good. Go listen for yourself

krampster2
Jun 26, 2014

Any Australians in here? Where do you guys buy your records online?

I miss when in 2011-13 the AUD/USD was not 0.7 and you could buy whatever you wanted from the US but now it's all buggered and buying anything internationally is terrible, particularly with the international shipping rates record retailers charge.

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:

krampster2 posted:

Any Australians in here? Where do you guys buy your records online?

I miss when in 2011-13 the AUD/USD was not 0.7 and you could buy whatever you wanted from the US but now it's all buggered and buying anything internationally is terrible, particularly with the international shipping rates record retailers charge.

Check out this ebay seller: http://stores.ebay.com.au/importcdsau15/

They have a huge range, prices are often cheaper than in store, and the shipping is free.

Those golden days when the dollar was at parity and before the USPS massively increased international shipping were awesome.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Ballz posted:

Ghostfunk
Bootleg of unofficial, Afro-funkcentric Ghostface Killah remixes. It seems about once a year a new pressing is made on different colored wax. It's really, really good. Go listen for yourself

This is real loving good.

That said, I need to listen to more African stuff in general. I am like mega-ignorant.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Chill Callahan posted:

If anyone is interested, Academy on 18th just priced a huge stack of Sarah 7"s and some 10"s.

I got the eternal 7" and popkiss 7" and the rest is for a friend but I get to listen to them until popfest in May. :twisted:

:eyepop:

krampster2
Jun 26, 2014

Doctor Cave posted:

Check out this ebay seller: http://stores.ebay.com.au/importcdsau15/

They have a huge range, prices are often cheaper than in store, and the shipping is free.

Those golden days when the dollar was at parity and before the USPS massively increased international shipping were awesome.

Oh that looks pretty good actually, lots of classical which is what I'm after.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Really happy I grabbed the new Mssingno EP before it sold out:

Not super proud of purchasing the Shenmue OST (well, selections), but at least Data Discs do things right in terms of source material and working with original composers to remaster it:

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

Allen Wren posted:

That said, I need to listen to more African stuff in general. I am like mega-ignorant.

Same here. All I know about is Fela Kuti and Shaolin Afronauts (both of which own). Any enlightened goons want to share their favorite African stuff?

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

LooksLikeABabyRat posted:

Same here. All I know about is Fela Kuti and Shaolin Afronauts (both of which own). Any enlightened goons want to share their favorite African stuff?

Letta Mbulu is great:

Letta Mbulu - Normalizo
Letta Mbulu - Mahlalela
Letta Mbulu - Kilmanjaro

Discovered this incredible album recently as well: Hugh Masekela - Introducing Hedzoleh Soundz

Antibalas - Talkatif

That's all I've got really, only just really been introduced to afrobeat myself :v:

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

If you want a little jazz to go with your Afro beats, then definitely check out Mulatu Astatke. "Mulatu of Ethiopia" and "Yekatit Ethio-Jazz" are both great albums, and he's still cranking out music today, including some collaborations with The Heliocentrics.

Elrobot
Dec 28, 2004
Press the buttons all at once, all of the time
Zamrock pretty cool, I'm not an expert but would easily recommend checking out WITCH, Amanaz and Ngozi Family. There's a really good camp called African Scream Contest and I have the second volume of Ghana Soundz - the label Soundwaves does lots of that stuff including some Nigeria comps. Also would recommend Osibisa and the current project from a few of those guys KonKoma
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHgmsl9Wj50
love me some mbira

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!
W-whoooops!

The packaging is pretty neat in this one.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Pingiivi posted:

W-whoooops!

:master:

Still looking out for the top-left one, at which point I'll probably pick up the top-right one as well to round out my GY!BE.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

I haven't listened to it in some time, but I remember not being impressed with the vinyl version of F#A#Infinity. I like the CD version of that album, and I mean not in quality but y'know cause they're two different tracklistings and stuff.

That LP was also my first locked-groove and I sat there for 20 minutes listening to it until I realized... ah, memories.

1000 umbrellas
Aug 25, 2005

We thought we'd base our civilization upon yours, 'cause you're the smartest animals on earth, now ain't you?

LooksLikeABabyRat posted:

https://www.awesometapes.com

Soukous is kind of a pan-Congolese dance music that has a slightly different sound depending on the era... I think more than genre my understanding is that it encompasses party music. Diblo Dibala is a favorite:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WD8zFybhVSc

You really can't go wrong with Paul Simon's Graceland as a Western portal into Africa- the musicians on that record are all top notch, especially the guitarist Ray Phiri and the bassist Bakiri Kumalo. Ladysmith Black Mambazo is also great.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8ZWaMn6mEg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uf4YyXVoWeA

I generally love anything associated with the High Life genre; lots of sparkly melodic electric guitars, sick grooves, not as minor key as most Afrobeat.
City Boys International Band:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tl0MImVL3to

Also if you dig the electric guitar stuff that is prominent in all of these links, get into chimurenga from Zimbabwe, the leading example being Thomas Mapfumo and the Blacks Unlimited:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-mw9U5Fq4g

I could go for days about African music; this is an extremely cursory explanation of all these styles. It's a whole continent, y'all. Get into it!

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer

Pingiivi posted:

W-whoooops!

I just picked up all these AGAIN, someone had stolen them from me, I bought them all from a dude on SA-Mart for dirt cheap.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

WASDF posted:

I haven't listened to it in some time, but I remember not being impressed with the vinyl version of F#A#Infinity. I like the CD version of that album, and I mean not in quality but y'know cause they're two different tracklistings and stuff.

That LP was also my first locked-groove and I sat there for 20 minutes listening to it until I realized... ah, memories.

Yeah, the CD sequence is better than what came out on vinyl, but the packaging with the diagrams and crushed penny are neat lil' novelties.

I also got tricked on the locked groove. It was really seamless.

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!

Jehde posted:

:master:

Still looking out for the top-left one, at which point I'll probably pick up the top-right one as well to round out my GY!BE.

They're both on amazon (with random awesome price drops). Unless you're looking for a specific version?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

I'm trying to avoid ordering vinyl online, but if they dip low enough I might just.