Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Souvenir idea for visitors to the stimpire. T-shirt with the catchphrase "I visited the stimpire, and all I got was this lousy penedectomy".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

I got banned from that stupid twitch chat for asking why Jared wasn't fired yet. Luckily I made a bunch of new accounts to troll that gently caress with for next time.

He has just the most punchable face and personality. He is the community manager star citizen deserves.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power
What do they do with the skeletons? Why do they fill the skeleton space with liquid? Is there more source material this is all very confusing.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Meow Tse-tung posted:

What do they do with the skeletons? Why do they fill the skeleton space with liquid? Is there more source material this is all very confusing.

Well, really it all goes back to the conflict between the Fourth and Seventh Stimpires, but it mostly boils down to "because we can"

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

jaegerx posted:

I got banned from that stupid twitch chat for asking why Jared wasn't fired yet. Luckily I made a bunch of new accounts to troll that gently caress with for next time.

He has just the most punchable face and personality. He is the community manager star citizen deserves.

Do the shitizens even like him? They talk about other members of staff like they're best mates and on first name terms, but you never (or at least I havn't) seen much worship of Rando Hobo.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

jaegerx posted:

something to stoke your troll mojo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_XvXkQH2e0

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Dusty Lens posted:

You know actually now that I think about it there are a number of logistically unsustainable practices that I've observed in stimpire lore.

One among the thread said it best when i voiced similar concern :

The stimpire is only fumy when taken to 11 and keep there without further consideration

So deskeletonize with a straw and use the worst kind of triple electricity away !

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

I'd love to throw down the gauntlet on this loving shill and tell him if there's no trolls in star citizen, stop banning people for "trolling".

I'd probably get banned for trolling, though.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
I, for one, support the development of a sustainable stimpire. One in which we can endure the worst kind of electricity for however long it takes for the pain to triple.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

He should have made this the final post in the locked and sunk Cutlass thread.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

Make The Stimpire Great Again

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
how long after that stream ended do you think Huckaby had to attend a meeting about pgabz latest youtube video.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

RedTonic posted:

I, for one, support the development of a sustainable stimpire. One in which we can endure the worst kind of electricity for however long it takes for the pain to triple.

But should it be green energy? I think a perfect Stimpire would run on power generated by people forced to run in giant hampster wheels under threat of a really nasty Chinese burn if they stop. The chinese burn would be applied with a lawnmower.

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Ostentatious posted:

To Stimpinity... and BEYOND!

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

Dusty Lens posted:

You know actually now that I think about it there are a number of logistically unsustainable practices that I've observed in stimpire lore.

there's like a thousand public executions you have to watch a day, and if you blink, you get executed, or something like that? basically the execution backlog would be in the hundreds of years after like 3 months. and if you go to a restaurant you have to eat people, so why go?

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Bootleg BBC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrI_iyBzH4g

STim-StAr.CiTiZeN.DvD.SCR.CAM.1.5aud.mkv

edit : holy poo poo this guys channel is um..sigh, time for another computer again.

Lime Tonics fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Feb 13, 2016

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Gilganixon posted:

to the stimpire with your smilies

and not one of the good stimpires either, i'm talking about the fourth one

speaking of:

The saga continues!

WHATEVER WILL BECOME OF OUR BRAVE CREW

hail the stimperium

Gilganixon posted:

speaking of:

The saga continues!

hail the stimperium

12 pages back but all my loving 5's, this is so great.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Ostentatious posted:

Keep your stimp hand strong.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Toops posted:

Ok, few pages back, but I'm gonna try to answer this honestly. I've thought a lot about it. I'm not sorry about the length.

No, I don't think it's possible to make a game of Star Citizen's scope today. It's not because game engines can't do it. It's because we lack the communication and dev tools required to break the art-code boundary.

There's a huge problem in game design that's been there from the start: 3d art assets are tightly coupled to the code that controls them, but they are developed almost completely separately by people with very different kinds of brains. Artists operate in the visual control space. Programmers operate in the logical control space. These modes of thought aren't very compatible. This problem becomes magnified by scope, which is another word for complexity.

The pressure on the art-code boundary rises exponentially with increased complexity. This is why simple games with limited scope have been hitting so hard, and why large projects with unbounded scope keep falling flat. Fallout 4 is a good game, but you can see right where the vision and the execution exploded and had to be walked back to feasibility.

A Good Post. It's not just project management that kills it but the lack of a common meta layer for art and code to merge. This is why engines are written and licensed, and current engines are already pulling in licensed assets to cut down dev time and effort. And then it's the 90/10 rule, someone's got to sit down and be motivated/compensated enough to take the next engine the next 1-5% closer.

The trouble is, as our computing logical framework currently sits, the more new concepts you try to evolve, the greater the expansion of your lower meta levels is needed, it's almost paradoxical. Unless you can make 1's and 0's do something totally novel you're trapped. OK, there's a lot of good games that have required pushing the hardware/software layers and generally we've been up to it, but that 90/10 rule comes in as we're squashed up against the limit of our computing paradigm. Maybe a lot of this gets solved with quantum computing, but it sure as hell isn't going to get solved now and not with Star Citizen.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Matlock Birthmark posted:

How did I miss this? While I'm sure sounding nice, this seems excessive maybe? Help me out here I honestly might not understand game development.

Edit: Nvm, this was another funding goal.
6 mil: *Star Citizen and Squadron 42 will feature a full orchestral score.

A 85 piece is pretty close to the standard modern symphonic formation, half of those being various strings. If they have the business sense of hiring some eastern Europe city philharmonic like Budapest or Sarajevo they can get a lot of recording time for those american $ and the music will be perfectly serviceable for a video game. Of course if they insist on the best and go for something like the Boston symphonic orchestra they will probably only get politely mocked when they show up with a half scribbled score.

But who play it is not the problem, since no matter who they pick to play their score, no orchestra can make bad music enjoyable. Unless they manage to steal a good composer( a real, honest to goodness composer, not some jumped up sound designer leading a good garage band) from another studio we can only expect a symphonic version of "Full Burn"

Laopooh
Jul 15, 2000

Gilganixon posted:

speaking of:

The saga continues!

hail the stimperium

Dude this is amazing. I read it on the pooper in a public place and couldn't stop cackling like mad. My stalemates must be getting nervous. The worst kind of electricity :lol:

The Stimpire is the funniest thing I've come across in months. All Hail the Stimperor!

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

padijun posted:

there's like a thousand public executions you have to watch a day, and if you blink, you get executed, or something like that? basically the execution backlog would be in the hundreds of years after like 3 months. and if you go to a restaurant you have to eat people, so why go?

I just make my own civil meat burgers at home. It's a lot cheaper and you can season them with as many tears as you want. If you go out for a civil meat burger, you're a sucker.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

padijun posted:

See, you brought up another issue here. Who's doimg the blink checking? Are the blink checkers allowed to blink? If they are not, who is checking the blink checkers? And so on. If they are allowed to blink, then what if they blink and the person they are blink checking blinks at the same time? Does that person get a pass, or is the suspicion of blinking while a blink checker blinks enough? What if the above happens, and another person's blink checker catches the blink occurring? Will the original checker get in trouble for missing the blink, or will the blink checker who caught the blink occurring be likely to get in trouble if he admits he stopped checking his designated blink check subject?

This is a very messy system, and i for one think that the author should at least write up some rules and regulations so we can get the minutia straight.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Lime Tonics posted:

Bootleg BBC

edit : holy poo poo this guys channel is um..sigh, time for another computer again.

They're walking on the world's most fragile eggshells haha

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Xaerael posted:

This is a very messy system, and i for one think that the author should at least write up some rules and regulations so we can get the minutia straight.

This problem is solved in proper stimpires by the use of random meaningless purges to prevent the system becoming self-aware and a threat to the stemperor. It takes time to educate the bureacracy to understand that as a replaceable cog their only duty is to be perfect, but with the proper application of fear it becomes self-policing, the only issue then is to minimize corruption.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Lime Tonics posted:

Bootleg BBC

Oh please, FBI probably gets so many pony hits that it's harder for their eyes to just not glaze over when they see it

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Lime Tonics posted:

Bootleg BBC

Generic informative piece for the masses. the BBC never take position or really question anything. Criticism is mentioned but not really explored. BBC Summary is "Its big and its not finished, we are neutral as if its good or not".

No new media or information we have not already seen here.

I Greyhound
Apr 22, 2008

MusicKrew Dawn Patrol

Ostentatious posted:

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx
Citizens will still get mad that the BBC mentioned that criticism even exists.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
typical bbc clickbait~

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

Lime Tonics posted:

Bootleg BBC

I laughed at Croberts uncomfortably stating, "One of the oxymorons of crowdfunding is that you're asking for money to make this game, you don't know how much money you're going to get, you know, unless you just want to pocket the rest of the money WHICH ISN'T MY THING AT ALL I WANT TO MAKE THE BEST GAME POSSIBLE"

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Beet Wagon posted:

Listen, just because the Fourth Stimpire is a nightmarish authoritarian hellscape where people are ground up for losing at sports doesn't mean they can't have nice things.

Yeahhhhhhhhh, no. Means EXACTLY that. I say this with all due love and respect, mind you.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

ComfyPants posted:

How do they even have time to manufacture gangrenous glass bandages when every citizen is forced to stare unblinking at each of the 14 billion daily executions while booing lustily? Their economy is questionable.

You learn to use your remaining limbs to work by touch. Geez....

Samizdata
May 14, 2007
EDIT: Stupid doubleposting double posts.

Apparently, the forums was "having a moment." First it wasn't there, then BAM!

Samizdata fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Feb 13, 2016

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
chris you look like you should probably get a little sleep dude.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
So how much gameplay of SQ42 did they show I'm refusing to give the BBC ad revenue?!?!?!

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

RedTonic posted:

What? Only ONE second?

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

TheLastRoboKy posted:

So how much gameplay of SQ42 did they show I'm refusing to give the BBC ad revenue?!?!?!

I took a snapshot of the one second of footage I hadn't seen before.

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

Doxcat is watching you PU.

TheLastRoboKy posted:

It isn't a link to BBC's page...it's a link to a brony stimpire citizen's youtube page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

A Neurotic Jew posted:

I took a snapshot of the one second of footage I hadn't seen before.

I look at this and all I can think is they're just making a space version of the musical CATS.

Goobs posted:

It isn't a link to BBC's page...it's a link to a brony stimpire citizen's youtube page.

Can you draw out the video as a series of slides on jpgs for me they're the only way I can be sure no one receives any sort of royalties from my viewing it?!

• Locked thread