Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Turns out the hit percentages are rigged (in favor of the player) when it comes to consecutive hits and misses:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Brainamp posted:

Counterpoint: Avoid using mods your first time around. It's apparently pretty easy to gently caress up your saves with them, so just play vanilla once to be on the safe side.

That's not really an issue with the official example mods, though, just with new user-made ones that might change filenames around or otherwise break things mid-campaign.

The three LW-team mods fit seamlessly into the game. SMGs are well designed visually and fully moddable, and fit right in. The new heavy Mutons are a nice mid-game enemy variant, and the leader skills at least give you something to do with your B-team and perk facility once you've bought most of the stuff you need.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
I'd like some more elite variants on the basic aliens. Once you start getting gate keepers and stuff every mission you kinda miss the tactical relevance of vipers and sectoids and stuff, yet there's a room for them in the endgame that just isn't getting filled by the enemies that replace them.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Megasabin posted:

I'm not even making it far enough where decisions like that come into play. Like I'm squad wiping with character who have only level up once. The fights are basically me in high cover vs. aliens in mid-high cover, and the aliens are just hitting more of their 50-70% shots than I am. Panic is consistently ruining my runs, as I feel like everytime I eat a shot, another solider panics, which starts a really bad downward spiral. I'm using grenades, flashbangs, and cover.

I'll watch the videos, but similar to the first game, I'm starting to feel that early game just has a big pile of luck involved on whether you hit shots, get paniced, etc... in an otherwise equal firefight. The later the game goes, the better you aim/skills get to allow you to mitigate that. It was my least favorite thing about the first game, and it's quickly annoying me in this.

Don't just trade fire from cover to cover. Try never taking a shot that's less than 80%.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Motherfucker posted:

I'd like some more elite variants on the basic aliens. Once you start getting gate keepers and stuff every mission you kinda miss the tactical relevance of vipers and sectoids and stuff, yet there's a room for them in the endgame that just isn't getting filled by the enemies that replace them.

Agreed. Some more mid/late game variants to keep every enemy type active would be an improvement. Perhaps a poison spit attack on Vipers, or more directly aggressive psi powers on Sectoids? Have them visually distinct from the regular variants, of course.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Don't just trade fire from cover to cover. Try never taking a shot that's less than 80%.

I think I just need to work on flanking more. When I have my greandes I generally do well, but after I've used them, then I do find myself doing cover to cover fights. I think I'm adverse to aggressive flanking maneuvers, because the first few times I've done them, I've ended up activating another pod.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Dominic White posted:

Perhaps a poison spit attack on Vipers, or more directly aggressive psi powers on Sectoids? Have them visually distinct from the regular variants, of course.

Vipers already spit poison! If they fail a tongue grab or can hit like 3 people at once with it, they'll do it.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Count Uvula posted:

Vipers already spit poison! If they fail a tongue grab or can hit like 3 people at once with it, they'll do it.

Haha, I've never seen them try it. They're always either shooting or tongue-grabbing. Guess it's because I tend to spread my squaddies out, especially after getting royally boned by grenades a couple times.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I don't know if better enemy variety would solve much, considering the tactics to blow poo poo up doesn't really care if the plan is to kill them before they get a turn. I think the AI would be interesting if it was more like Xcom 1 where they retreat a lot more and go into overwatch.

The only times I really see overwatch are the commander mechs when they see my units.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I'm a tad disappointed with enemy variety too, though maybe its just the fact that it feels like ADVENT make up 75% of the enemies you face.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
What are the consequences of ignoring council missions?

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

BlazetheInferno posted:

Okay, random thought. To go along with this "increased squad size" mod, how might I go about increasing the size of the initial pool of rookies from the paltry *8* to something a bit more reasonable? Keeping in mind this will be my first time ever editing the files of a game like this :ohdear:

Anyone got an answer for this? I'm holding off on my next campaign until I can start with more than 2 soldiers that aren't part of the initial mission. =\

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Dominic White posted:

Haha, I've never seen them try it. They're always either shooting or tongue-grabbing. Guess it's because I tend to spread my squaddies out, especially after getting royally boned by grenades a couple times.

I've seen them spit poison one turn, and then tongue-coil the next so they were squeezing out a poisoned soldier for 3 HP/turn.

Away all Goats posted:

I'm a tad disappointed with enemy variety too, though maybe its just the fact that it feels like ADVENT make up 75% of the enemies you face.

Once I got through about halfway I had missions where only one pod out of the 3-4 I'd see on a mission would have ADVENT. Later on the "boss" aliens become more and more prevalent. Of course there were still plenty of missions that were almost entirely ADVENT, but on average the split would eventually become 50/50 after a certain point it felt. The penultimate mission literally had 0 Advent on it for me. It honestly got to the point where I was happy to see Advent because most of the time they're so much easier than the full-on aliens. Yes the Elite Trooper may have more HP than a Sectoid, but even the Elite's version of the trooper's AI is very basic/dumb since all he's got is a gun and maybe a 1/4 chance to have a grenade.

I think the worst pod I got was one with a single Muton and 2 Andromedons. Sure a Sectopod or Gatekeeper is probably a bigger threat than an Andromedon but there's something about an enemy that basically transforms from effectively an Elite Muton when you kill it into a full health Robo-Berserker that kinda terrifies me.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Got guardian on a heavy and holo targeting on a ranger, pretty nice.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Tenzarin posted:

Got guardian on a heavy and holo targeting on a ranger, pretty nice.

I just got the vaunted Rupture Sniper. :hellyeah:

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Motherfucker posted:

There's a mod for a bigger badder muton that might interest you. It's made by the Long War guys and looks real high quality: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=577474474

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Odobenidae posted:

There's a mod for a bigger badder muton that might interest you. It's made by the Long War guys: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=577474474

As far as I noticed the Centurions really didn't do much besides have more HP/armor. Of course that alone is dangerous enough at times.

Besides, I basically considered the Andromedons to be the "elite" version of Mutons: with more health, armor and attack and a nastier "grenade" attack (that can be used on a cooldown instead of just once), oh and that then become Berserkers when you kill them the first time.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Kin33 posted:

About 3/4 through my 2nd campaign and I've NEVER had a VIP extract mission that wasn't possible. Some have looked very daunting but I play vanilla commander/ironman so I had to suck it up and they proved very doable. Like I start one corner, VIP is opposite corner, and extract in a third corner yet I still managed to make it with a turn to spare.

They also get psi stat on level up which makes a huge difference. I'm also pretty sure its one of the only random stat-ups in the game.

does will actually do anything for them? i didnt notice when i was messing with it

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
Will is purely defensive, Psi is actual attack.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Motherfucker posted:

The Alien Hunters DLC is almost certainly going to have this.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

I think the complaints about the difficulty are related to the fact that Firaxis did actually interesting things with soldier abilities now, versus very static and non game changers in EU/EW. I agree that it errs on the side of easy once you understand what's going on, but as this thread shows not everyone gets to that point. Also at least I feel that the 'internal' balance of classes feels good. I never once felt any of my soldiers was too strong, aside from my Psi-op, and the soldiers I thought are awful countless people have said are amazing. That's a pretty good balance at least.

I think a lot of us also realize that we are used to playing LW which is by design harder than EW and had different design goals. While they cribbed some stuff from LW, they still have their own vision. If we want to see real fire fights the game does need LW's soldier health changes, in terms of armor interacting with wounds and the bigger pods and better cover. Maybe not a bigger squad size just because your base classes are so effective/interesting.

For challenging someone like Beagle I think you have to do the insane mods he did, because he's so good. It's getting to be like world class raiders vs normal mmo players or something. :v:

(I am legit sad we don't see upgraded aliens in the base game because they are the interesting enemies.)

E: I also feel it's very important to point out the soldier classes are so much more FUN this time around. And that's important to keep. (Again except sniper for me because drat it I miss Double Tap.)

Eimi fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Feb 13, 2016

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Sorry if this was posted earlier and I missed it:

In a world where killer aliens battle deadly special forces, one Commander will rise to lead the humans to victory... by constantly reloading his save file. (I won't tell if you don't.)"

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I'm amazed this isn't some sort of conflict of interest.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Speedball posted:

I'm amazed this isn't some sort of conflict of interest.

Except it's not a review or even remotely considered as journalism?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Yeah, all that is is a brilliant bit of stunt casting.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
I thought those honest trailers just got someone who could do a good imitation of trailer voice guy. I didn't realize it was trailer voice guy.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Odobenidae posted:

There's a mod for a bigger badder muton that might interest you. It's made by the Long War guys and looks real high quality: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=577474474

Yeah thats the mod that made me wonder why they didn't have more mid range aliens

I mean they come on strong with psionics in that the most basic alien, sectoids, are throwing out insanity right off the bat but than... nothing? Not till gate keepers and avatars do you find other psychics and its like 'wheres my midgame?'

I mean I only saw one berserker in my entire campeign ever, but I'd like for an armored melee powerhouse enemy in the endgame that isn't 'three archons', also andromedons don't count because their melee only opens up when they stand next to a dude for a turn.

I'd argue elite sectoids should have solace and elite vipers should use poison ammo.

Motherfucker fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Feb 13, 2016

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

Elliotw2 posted:

The only difference between a faceless and a civilian is that the faceless don't run away if an alien walks through their rescue circle.

This is wrong, even if it is a whole bunch of pages back. I had a faceless run from a pod that included an instant overwatch MEC. It triggered the overwatch as a civilian and was promptly revealed as a faceless with 1 hp left due to the overwatch shot.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

In general I probably saw more Archons than I did Mutons my entire play through

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Bolow posted:

SO MANY, I'm sick to gently caress of archons

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Yeah psionics in this game are kind of weird on the enemy side, lacking any sort of midgame presence. Unless you count the codexes teleporting and void rift.

I feel like the enemy variety is better than EU where it was basically the same poo poo on literally every mission, with some enemies being relegated to permanent boss room duty. Also I feel like the late game enemies have nastier tricks compared to what the EU enemies could do, aside from Ethereals who were bullshit. I really miss mechtoids and cyberdisks though.

Its also weird that they made an advanced version of every advent unit but none of the aliens get upgrades. Vipers could easily remain annoying throughout the entire game if they got a survivability boost.

Bolow posted:

Archons are pretty much the only reason I didn't use bluescreen rounds over other ammo mods. At some point it felt like those assholes were the basic soldiers and dealing with their constant dodging was infuriating.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I don't care about any of this poo poo, because in the rest of humanity, this game runs like serious rear end, and the turns take too GODDAMN long

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Fargin Icehole posted:

I don't care about any of this poo poo, because in the rest of humanity, this game runs like serious rear end, and the turns take too GODDAMN long

yyyeah this too.

I'm lovin' it of course but it needs some patches, also let me skip some poo poo because I am sick to gently caress of having my controls wrenched away so we can talk about loving trains again.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
The fact that the hack screen (and excavation!) takes a few seconds to cancel is my latest pet peeve. Ugh what a horrible design.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Motherfucker posted:

I mean I only saw one berserker in my entire campeign ever

They're a terror unit like Chryssalids for some reason. I guess because Andromedons just straight up take their place in normal missions?

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

dyzzy posted:

The fact that the hack screen (and excavation!) takes a few seconds to cancel is my latest pet peeve. Ugh what a horrible design.

Right? Especially when you gently caress it up and its like "OKAY gently caress YOU AND gently caress OFF OUT OF MY FACE RRRAAA"

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Yeah I saw maybe two berserkers total before they disappeared completely. I do think Mutons get an upgrade somewhere along the timeline, I definitely remember seeing "Advanced Muton" in the shadow chamber sneak peeks that appear when you check out a mission.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Supposedly berserkers are terror units like faceless and chrysalids but I only saw them on one terror mission. They never appeared again after that mission, unlike chrysalids and faceless which become staples of terror missions once they are introduced. They also have dark events associated with them so you might see them in other missions.

So I guess the game needs a dark event where ADVENT will drop a berserker right in the middle of your squad on a random turn.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
I just had the :xcom: moment to beat them all. The game told me I had 103% chance to crit a Trooper.

One-hundred-and-three percent.

It failed to crit.

The next mission after that ended like this:

:clint: "Some men are put off by Bleeding Caverns...Not me though!"

:colbert: "Just so long as they don't care about your Successful Shot percentage, right?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Unfortunately, it appears that dominating a codex is not a viable way to get one for easy skulljacking. Very sad, I'd love to see it throw itself onto my Omniblade.

e: ...Unless you extract the Psychic, ending the domination.

Zomborgon fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Feb 13, 2016