Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man
First of the three Nomad Alguaciles done

EDIT: Close up shows highlights (and mistakes) better. Also 7 fingers on right hand.

richyp fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Feb 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
Nice paintjob, but wrong faction.

:911:

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

DJ Dizzy posted:

Nice paintjob, but wrong faction.

:911:

Thanks. I know they're not CA but they came with the game and it'll give me a set of minis for an imaginary opponent, as will the PanO ones.

I do like me some USAriadna though, maybe my next purchase if I don't get some Batman miniatures.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

The windows aren't amazing but I did what I could.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

First thing I noticed were the windows and I thought "those are friggin neat".

I'm so used to seeing just a black for windows that yours look sweet as hell.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
That crunching sound you hear is me smashing my Stormtalon to dust in a fit of jealous rage.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
Some gloss varnish on the windows might look pretty cool. (And if it doesn't work out, you can just put some matte varnish on top.)

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
Hey everyone; I want to strip some models to remove my terrible first time paint jobs. A few Qs:

1. Will clean spirit remove paints?

2. Will clean spirit remove automotive primer? I used automotive spray primer to base a few of them when I ran out of black spray.

3. Will the clean spirit unglue anything I superglued down?

4. Is it okay on plastics?

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

spectralent posted:

Hey everyone; I want to strip some models to remove my terrible first time paint jobs. A few Qs:

2. Will clean spirit remove automotive primer? I used automotive spray primer to base a few of them when I ran out of black spray.

I don't know about auto primer, but I used clean spirit in a stripping tutorial I did for the OP. It's fine on styrene plastic but I'm not sure what it does to CA/super glue. You can use white spirit also but you'll need to be careful about what container you use for stripping - if you're using plastic, do a test first. Metal or glass is best.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Finished that Knight and his Skitarii buddies:

I kinda love LEDs now

lots more pics here https://imgur.com/a/qdNP7

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Does anyone have any advice on stripping superglue from resin? Would Simple Green work (and not gently caress up the resin)?

e: Problem solved through careful application of a hobby knife. Thankfully the join was just an L shape and not something more complex.

Avenging Dentist fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Feb 13, 2016

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
I don't know about Simple Green, but Super Clean at least nomnoms superglue. I've also heard of people dissolving it with thin plastic glue.

Mechanically scratching it off is going to be easier if you pop it in the freezer for a bit beforehand, too. Basically the glue absorbs moisture into its crystal structure as it sets. Freezing the glue makes the moisture expand and break that structure as it does.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Yeah, I ended up trying that, and maybe it helped. And then I glued everything back together, and it ended up in the exact same spot! It turns out the pieces are just subtly asymmetrical. :saddowns:

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

DJ Dizzy posted:

Grey wash?

Secret Weapon does a few, Vallejo Smoke is a popular option, you could do a thin application of Nuln Oil, you could also get away with just using the secret weapon Cool Grey wash which I'm pretty sure was designed to exclusively do trolls and plasma guns. Basically what you're trying to do is put down a base coat of white, then deepen the shadows on that white by a few shades with a grey wash. Something like VMC Sky Grey mixed with Future would also probably do a similar job. You're then putting down a thin very bright blue glaze to tint all the skin and recesses that color. After that you can do a final highlight layer of white to bring out the highlights as well.

Chance II
Aug 6, 2009

Would you like a
second chance?
I wish I had a decent camera because I'm pretty happy with some of the red-box games minis I've recently finished.

I'm trying to finish up some barbarian wild men types but I'm having trouble getting the warpaint to look right. The blue stripes I put on the priestess type don't really pop like I would like them too. Then again, I was planning on covering her up a little with them so maybe its okay if the warpaint isn't too bright.

This is kind of the look I'm going for.

And this is an earlier attempt at a blue ink tattoo on another model.

Chance II fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Feb 13, 2016

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

krushgroove posted:

Finished that Knight and his Skitarii buddies:

Yessss

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
So drat good.

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

spectralent posted:

I started using spirits to strip paint from models after reading this thread and it works generally good. I usually soak my stuff in it for a night and then run over them with a nail brush. It doesn't seem to damage plastic figures, some minis I had it soaking in there for over a month now, because I couldn't be assed to scrub them.

It wont touch superglue, I had to bring in some acetone to solve that problem. (Whoever suggested it in this thread, love you!) However acetone will most likely melt your plastic, I only tried on white metal figures.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Wierre posted:

I started using spirits to strip paint from models after reading this thread and it works generally good. I usually soak my stuff in it for a night and then run over them with a nail brush. It doesn't seem to damage plastic figures, some minis I had it soaking in there for over a month now, because I couldn't be assed to scrub them.

It wont touch superglue, I had to bring in some acetone to solve that problem. (Whoever suggested it in this thread, love you!) However acetone will most likely melt your plastic, I only tried on white metal figures.

That's good; I don't want to unglue everything, so :D

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
I'm stripping a bunch of Eldar stuff and had to check that polypropylene (food containers) are okay to use with white spirit - they are! So I'm using a big red Cadbury's selection box filled with models and white spirit. Clean spirit should be safe as well.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
I use Isopropyl alcohol. It doesn't do wonders - some paint just doesn't go away - but it sure is safe to leave miniatures floating in it.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man
Last 2 of the Nomad grunts finished so that's the 3 Alguaciles finished.

EDIT: Group shot, slightly better light

richyp fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Feb 13, 2016

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
My Armada wrecks are nearly complete, i mostly need to make some blob shaped acrylic bases for them.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Does anyone have any tips on how to smooth/fill in small imperfections in resin? I could probably just use a sandable putty and fill the divots and sand down as necessary, but there's probably a better way. I know some of them can be thinned with water, but I'm fuzzy on the details there. If it helps, I have Green Stuff, ProCreate, Apoxie Sculpt, and Brown Stuff already, but wouldn't mind getting something new provided it does the job.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
If you don't want to mix it yourself Vallejo has a filler that comes in the same bottle as its paints. I forget what its called exactly, but its pretty much just for doing that. GW has pretty much the same thing they call liquid greenstuff.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
This is the unspiration thread, right?

I'm painting a hive tyrant and carnifex I have as a break from Salamanders. I'm trying to stick to the color scheme that I posted a while ago. This is the work in progress so far:

The model is pinned to the base but isn't glued in yet. Just need some thoughts is all. I'm not affraid of completely redoing it if need be.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

nesbit37 posted:

If you don't want to mix it yourself Vallejo has a filler that comes in the same bottle as its paints. I forget what its called exactly, but its pretty much just for doing that. GW has pretty much the same thing they call liquid greenstuff.

I might check out the Vallejo stuff; I've never heard a single good thing about liquid greenstuff. Ideally, whatever I use would be sandable to make my life easier.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Any advice on painting black power armor? I have made a poor decision and am starting 30k with a Dark Angels army. Instead of the dark green I'm used to, it'll involve a ton of black armor which I only have had limited experience with. I checked the OP and watched the tutorial there, but it seemed a little too sloppy to me. The process was essentially basecoat black, slop dark grey onto raised surfaces, and highlight with a lighter grey. Is that it? Is there anything more advanced or simply neater? I am a decently skilled painter so feel free to toss whatever at me.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Safety Factor posted:

Any advice on painting black power armor? I have made a poor decision and am starting 30k with a Dark Angels army. Instead of the dark green I'm used to, it'll involve a ton of black armor which I only have had limited experience with. I checked the OP and watched the tutorial there, but it seemed a little too sloppy to me. The process was essentially basecoat black, slop dark grey onto raised surfaces, and highlight with a lighter grey. Is that it? Is there anything more advanced or simply neater? I am a decently skilled painter so feel free to toss whatever at me.

Not that I have advice for you, but wouldn't it make sense that the armor would get dusty or lose some polish like almost immediately? Black would be a very high contrast for whatever armor-usable alloy you'd use to make the stuff, and it shows dirt.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Safety Factor posted:

I'd personally paint black in dark grey, like Vallejo dark grey, shade with black and do three layered edge highlights, each 33%-50% or so brighter than the last.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

That works, or just paint black and don't shade because how much more black can it be?

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Black then cover it in gloss varnish and complain about people scratching the paint every time your mans get shot.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I suppose, I've just always disliked models that are predominantly black (Raven Guard, Black Templar) painted straight black as it always looked like primer to me. :shobon:

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

ijyt posted:

I suppose, I've just always disliked models that are predominantly black (Raven Guard, Black Templar) painted straight black as it always looked like primer to me. :shobon:

I'd probably go with the black-grey to max desat gray approach as well; it helps add some depth to things.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
To detail the basic scheme a little more, 30k Dark Angels use red symbols and silver shoulder trim. They also feature some white/black checker patters that I'm excited to try out. I will be adding the occasional green stripe or panel for grins.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

To be fair I talk like I know what I'm doing but my paintwork is profoundly lovely, I mostly just pick up stuff from my dad I'm nowhere near good enough to replicate.

The milk-like paint thing is legit though.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

So after doing some research, Mr. Dissolved Putty sounds like what I want, probably. Are there any safety concerns with using a brush-on lacquer-based product indoors? I have a facemask with a particulate filter and I could get another set of filters if need be.

e: I have these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009POHH94

Avenging Dentist fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Feb 14, 2016

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Safety Factor posted:

Here's a good tutorial on it.

http://flameonminiatures.blogspot.com/2014/01/black-color-painting-tutorial.html?m=1

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Star Man posted:

This is the unspiration thread, right?

I'm painting a hive tyrant and carnifex I have as a break from Salamanders. I'm trying to stick to the color scheme that I posted a while ago. This is the work in progress so far:

The model is pinned to the base but isn't glued in yet. Just need some thoughts is all. I'm not affraid of completely redoing it if need be.
I always hate my WIP models until I'm almost done with them, don't give up hope. It looks like you've done a basecoat and wash of all the areas. I'd go through and neaten up with your basecoat color again, leaving the wash in the recesses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

OneTrueBru posted:

My ghetto-workbench made from Ikea stuff (bonus insanity carpet):

I just can't deal with clutter of any kind. Everything hobby-related is stored in the drawers and is just a quick chair swivel away when I'm working on something. The only thing missing is a poster or something to catch overspray - while the tabletop is easy to clean, the wall is an issue.

The compressor is a bit awkward but it's on a little dolly, so I can wheel it about if needed.

Nice, I love all the little drawers. Do you remember what it's called? I hope to start building my new workstation this summer, and that looks like just the thing!
Edit: And now I found it, Kallax.

Dr Hemulen fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Feb 14, 2016