Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce
I had a friend who got really into essential oils for awhile. It's pretty benign until you get into treating anything other than a headache or sore throat with literal actual snake oil, which most people don't. A friend of mine made a "natural sunscreen" with like coconut oil and some essential oils and no zinc oxide. Her toddler ended up extra crispy from an afternoon at the water park.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
So this is going down right now in Phoenix. Unsurprisingly, level headed people are expressing their very good opinions on Facebook.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Kiebland posted:

Why is "white guilt for stuff that happened years ago" always the go-to when conservatives get called out on being racist? Are they honestly THAT convinced that racism no longer exists?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Bomani's mentions could be an IOSM thread of its own.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Did I not see a him in that movie dumb and dumber
Oh wait no that's a video of him and his wife sorry

This is so tame, it's almost endearing as an insult :3:

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

Eponine posted:

I had a friend who got really into essential oils for awhile. It's pretty benign until you get into treating anything other than a headache or sore throat with literal actual snake oil, which most people don't. A friend of mine made a "natural sunscreen" with like coconut oil and some essential oils and no zinc oxide. Her toddler ended up extra crispy from an afternoon at the water park.

In one of the previous iosm threads there was a post by some lady whose baby had a horrible fever like 104 and it was in some ~natural mom~ group, so everyone was suggesting rubbing its feet with lavender or some poo poo, and some lady said to go to the hospital and another lady was just going off on her with paragraphs of BS. Luckily the lady took the baby to the hospital... After it had like 3 seizures.

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop
I know only one person who extensively relies on oils to cure everything, but she's a second grade teacher :(

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

Maker Of Shoes posted:

So this is going down right now in Phoenix. Unsurprisingly, level headed people are expressing their very good opinions on Facebook.

The icing on Will Power's comment cake is that the two girls were found with the gun in an isolated part of the campus, suggesting suicide and not Columbine-style murder. But hey, don't let reading or informing yourself about the situation get in the way of immediately vomiting your pro-gun opinions all over Facebook, right?

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
I can't find the image because the old thread seems to have been deleted and not just gassed, but if you're curious (and are ok with being really angry don't google a combination words like child, fever, seizure, natural cures. "Fevers are good! 105 is fine! My kid had seizures and they're fine!"

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Christo posted:

The icing on Will Power's comment cake is that the two girls were found with the gun in an isolated part of the campus, suggesting suicide and not Columbine-style murder. But hey, don't let reading or informing yourself about the situation get in the way of immediately vomiting your pro-gun opinions all over Facebook, right?

If teachers were armed they could have shot gun out of the girls' hands!

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Essential oils smell nice and feel good in a bath, I feel like that's enough of a selling point. I don't know why they had to be turned into cures for everything.

I like Lavender and Tea Tree oil, but I always dread running into some new-age loon when I buy them.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Elderbean posted:

Essential oils smell nice and feel good in a bath, I feel like that's enough of a selling point. I don't know why they had to be turned into cures for everything.

I like Lavender and Tea Tree oil, but I always dread running into some new-age loon when I buy them.

Marketing. Not everybody takes baths these days or cares much about their cleany time smelling nice. That also makes it a luxury; not everybody can afford that.

But everybody needs medical care at some point in their lives.

Bomrek
Oct 9, 2012

Elderbean posted:

Essential oils smell nice and feel good in a bath, I feel like that's enough of a selling point.

You might even call it a smelling point :downs:

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Maker Of Shoes posted:

I'm honestly surprised they weren't killed by the police

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Maker Of Shoes posted:

The teachers could have shot and killed them first and saved them from Hell

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Aesop Poprock posted:

The teachers could have shot and killed them first and saved them from Hell

Dear duckface at Starbucks:
It's not cute or awesome to let your crotch goblin spend 10 minutes "ordering" (rambling about teachers and bffs and why it was wearing a cape but certainly not ordering food or drink) while you stand there with your fake pursed lips (aka cat assholes) and do nothing. I think you were trying to smile but, with all that saline shoved in there who knows.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Eponine posted:

Coconut oil as a sunscreen was brought up in a wilderness survival course I did when we were discussing useful things to pack in survival kits. Apparently it's been determined to have an spf rating of about 2 or 3. I guess some people just ignore that part.

DavidAlltheTime
Feb 14, 2008

All David...all the TIME!
Oil of Oregano does a good job of preventing colds. Tea Tree oil is awesome for skin and for healing wounds.

Don't deny the power of oils just to sound cool, dweebs.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
The proper preparation and use of oils and other blade coatings is an essential element of monster hunting.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

DavidAlltheTime posted:

Oil of Oregano does a good job of preventing colds. Tea Tree oil is awesome for skin and for healing wounds.

They have their uses.

They do not cure literally everything.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

DavidAlltheTime posted:

I don't, it just gets crazy once it reaches "cures all ailments" levels. Tea Tree oil is also pretty good at getting rid of nail fungus.

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfv7wcmdUp8

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

I just want to know what is in a homeopathic first aid kit. Water with the essence of a bandage, diluted? Some stones to rub on a broken leg? Anti-bacterial wipes made of essential oils that have no anti-bacterial properties whatsoever?

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Probably just a regular kit that costs at least three times as much.

Unrelated: Do we have any "official homeopathic breweries"?

Suck a Dick No Homo
Apr 22, 2008

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Dear duckface at Starbucks:
It's not cute or awesome to let your crotch goblin spend 10 minutes "ordering" (rambling about teachers and bffs and why it was wearing a cape but certainly not ordering food or drink) while you stand there with your fake pursed lips (aka cat assholes) and do nothing. I think you were trying to smile but, with all that saline shoved in there who knows.

this is a weird display of satire

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

This is pretty mild, but I thought it was amusing that Yellow was lecturing Red on a topic that Red knows far more about. And then there's the weird tangent about tax-dodging dole bludgers at the end.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

For extra points, the guy who shared this is a college professor.

budgieinspector
Mar 24, 2006

According to my research,
these would appear to be
Budgerigars.

chitoryu12 posted:

For extra points, the guy who shared this is a college professor.

If you send it to his dean, and he gets fired, I'll buy you plat.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

budgieinspector posted:

If you send it to his dean, and he gets fired, I'll buy you plat.

Already got platinum. But now you've got me thinking...

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

So I went searching on his public Facebook and what else my brother texted me from him, and I gathered a few more screenshots to send to the assistant dean of the English department. Hopefully we'll receive some kind of response.

Here's the other two screenshots I got for him. The second one was a public post.

DavidAlltheTime
Feb 14, 2008

All David...all the TIME!
Wow, yeah, that's 'action required' material. Send it to the press if they do nothing. Send it to the press anyway.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I love how matter of fact and conversational the subtitles or followup questions are on those things "The president's a faggy Muslim poo poo eater!! Wow, what's your opinion? Pretty neat huh? Gee whiz!"

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Tiggum posted:

This is pretty mild, but I thought it was amusing that Yellow was lecturing Red on a topic that Red knows far more about. And then there's the weird tangent about tax-dodging dole bludgers at the end.

Well this went so much better than expected. I was just waiting for the anti vaxxer to come in and cringing in anticipation.

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

DavidAlltheTime posted:

you uh, got any sources on this? All I'm seeing is that tea tree oil "might kind of sort of be effective" for treating some skin problems (but not enough to be recommended for actual clinical use,) and I can't find anything at all for the oil of oregano claim.

I mean, from sources that aren't MOM'S HOME REMEDY DOCTORS BAD MEDICINE BAD THESE CRYSTALS CURE CANCER quality, anyway.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

https://nccih.nih.gov/health/tea/treeoil.htm

It seems like more studies need to be done, but it's fairly effective at treating nail fungus/athletes foot. Prescription drugs for chronic nail fungus can cause liver damage and still take 6-12 months to work so I can see why rubbing some oil on your nails might be preferable.

Elderbean has a new favorite as of 10:33 on Feb 13, 2016

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

FlyinPingu posted:

you uh, got any sources on this? All I'm seeing is that tea tree oil "might kind of sort of be effective" for treating some skin problems (but not enough to be recommended for actual clinical use,) and I can't find anything at all for the oil of oregano claim.

I mean, from sources that aren't MOM'S HOME REMEDY DOCTORS BAD MEDICINE BAD THESE CRYSTALS CURE CANCER quality, anyway.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24779581

I was skeptical too, since so much of that essential oils woo is just that, but it seems oil of oregano has been found by at least one study to have antiviral properties, specifically the ability to inactivate norovirus! :eng101:

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24779581

I was skeptical too, since so much of that essential oils woo is just that, but it seems oil of oregano has been found by at least one study to have antiviral properties, specifically the ability to inactivate norovirus! :eng101:

Then pharmaceutical companies will introduce the remedy in a pill or something and it will be back to "naturalists" screaming how unnatural that remedy is compared to "other tree treatment".

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

DavidAlltheTime posted:

congrats, you made the Dumbest poo poo I've Ever Heard thread! And they might rename it after you

It's mostly because of the last sentence. I like tea tree oil mixed with orange blossom.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k
Sorry I didn't know which thread to post this in so I'll post it here too, maybe one of you nice goons can spread this story around to stupid conservative/religious relatives?

Thin Privilege posted:

I swear to every diety ever, that as I was waking up this morning I was reading this story in my head. There were even pictures of her in a striped shirt, pregnant, with a husband who looked like Jim Bob.

quote:

Mary was a young girl.She lived a life of partying, doing drugs, and sleeping with both men and women. one day she found out she was pregnant so she did what many young girls do: drive immediately to the abortion clinic to get it out of her as soon as possible. On the way there she was looking at hear hands on the steering wheel and remember how small her hands used to be, she thought how precious her life has been, that she had been given this great gift of life. she turned her car around.

in a few days God came to her and told her he loved her and ALL his children, but he is saddened when his children live in sin. Mary listened as God spoke. It is those of us that follow GOD that are live happy, fulfilling, and peaceful lives. Oh, and a MERRY christmas.

Mary thought about God’s words every day. She stopped stopped doing drugs, stopped sinning through homosexuality, and began a successful career.. She is now married to a wonderful man and they are expecting their first child.

God’s words came to Mary and they come to you, but only if you listen!

Amen!

I should not read SA before bed... AMEN

e: gently caress it, photoshop is fun. share this

Thin Privilege has a new favorite as of 16:18 on Feb 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Frighteningly authentic.