Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Murphy Brownback posted:

Just don't argue with Zaphod42. He doesn't have an agenda, he's just really really spergy about certain things and you'll never convince him of anything.

Zaphod's just... this guy, yknow?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patattack
Nov 23, 2008

The English Language!

My Lovely Horse posted:

I did feel like the reactions were a bit too shocked and panicky for the context of the scene, come to think of it.

You know, now that I think about it more, you're not wrong. It's the only moment in the movie where Daisy seems fazed in any way by Ruth's casual violence/rudeness towards her.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

hottubrhymemachine posted:

He knows a lot about game development. More than most people on this board. Love his posts about game developments.

We're in a thread about movies though, who cares about video games.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Haha I use this as my steam/twitter quotes forever and nobody ever gets it or cares. But I got this. And I cared.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Murphy Brownback posted:

We're in a thread about movies though, who cares about video games.

I never posted anything about video games in this thread. He's just upset about another thread and has nothing better to do with his life than complain about it here :rolleyes:

Which is pretty ironic considering his shitposting in said thread.

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Jason Schwartzman is one hoopy frood. ;)

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Light Gun Man posted:

"I want to film breaking a real antique".

So what I take from this discussion is that Hateful Eight is like that one scene from Fight Club where Edward Norton breaks Jared Leto's face.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
How can a protocol droid forget how to address a general repeatedly in the same scene.

Robot Alzheimer's?

It's his primary function ffs

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

syscall girl posted:

How can a protocol droid forget how to address a general repeatedly in the same scene.

Robot Alzheimer's?

It's his primary function ffs

He was built by an eight-year-old, cut him some slack.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

So in the trailer for fuller house Dj tanner has three kids and no husband around and her entire family raising them while she goes out and sluts it up. Way to take a nice family show and modernize it

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

oldpainless posted:

So in the trailer for fuller house Dj tanner has three kids and no husband around and her entire family raising them while she goes out and sluts it up. Way to take a nice family show and modernize it

Lmao what?

I'd still hit it, she's about my age :corsair:

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Oh for sure

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

oldpainless posted:

The gently caress are you on about?

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

oldpainless posted:

Source your quotes

Patattack
Nov 23, 2008

The English Language!

oldpainless posted:

[DJ/Danny] tanner has three kids and no [husband/wife] around and [her/his] entire family raising them

So, pretty similar to the old one.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The story is that her husband died or something, because so did Saget's wife in the original.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Aphrodite posted:

The story is that her husband died or something, because so did Saget's wife in the original.

It's like poetry, it rhymes.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Movies with terrible sound design/balance and the trend for.. I'm not sure what to call them, aural or throbbing kinda sound tracks? The latest offender was Sicaro, the dialogue was super quiet while the tension building doomy soundtrack in other scenes was obnoxiously loud.

My fault for trying to watch it on an airplane but I couldn't hear people talk without turning the volume up enough for the scene changes and soundtrack to blow out my eardrums. Had to give up on it not even halfway through.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Arrath posted:

Movies with terrible sound design/balance and the trend for.. I'm not sure what to call them, aural or throbbing kinda sound tracks? The latest offender was Sicaro, the dialogue was super quiet while the tension building doomy soundtrack in other scenes was obnoxiously loud.

My fault for trying to watch it on an airplane but I couldn't hear people talk without turning the volume up enough for the scene changes and soundtrack to blow out my eardrums. Had to give up on it not even halfway through.

This trend is so prominent and obnoxious. Even with a great sound system, I have to adjust my home theater quite a bit when watching a lot of thrillers and action flicks.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

I think in some cases its the surround>stereo mix that gets hosed up. Obvs I can't speak for your setups, but I only have stereo, and my parents have surround, and I've noticed that the literal same version of a movie will sound much better on their system than mine re voice vs. music.

donquixotic
May 1, 2007

Arrath posted:

I gave up on Focus because I couldn't hear a word anyone was saying

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Arrath posted:

Judging a movie based on airplane audio, :wtc:

Sicario was amazing as a soundtrack, and the mixing was great.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Judging a movie based on airplane audio, :wtc:

Sicario was amazing as a soundtrack, and the mixing was great.

Yeah I'll be the first to admit that the setup wasn't the greatest, free airline earbuds and a headphone jack I had to jiggle the connector into just right to get both channels included. BUT. On the same flight I also watched The Martian and Spectre just fine so I'm happy to level some grief at the movie itself, and this annoying fuckin trend in general.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Inzombiac posted:

This trend is so prominent and obnoxious. Even with a great sound system, I have to adjust my home theater quite a bit when watching a lot of thrillers and action flicks.

Man this poo poo. The Batman trilogy is notorious for this. The music especially was way too loud.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

For a while I especially noticed it watching Blu-Rays as opposed to DVDs. Always meant to check if the sound on BRs is (generally) in another format.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
In Predators they show that Adrien Brody is a natural leader by having him tell the others to reload their weapons after a fight. So they're all supposed to be the raddest baddest killerz on the planet, but they're all too stupid to reload?

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

It's possible that those guys were put enough out of sorts by being ripped from their homeworld and thrown into a totally alien environment with just a handful of strangers while being beset by crazy rear end alien wildlife that they'd forget to do some basic actions and routines, yes. They're not beep boop battle bots.

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

Actually, the movie takes pains to remind you that they are all murderous battle bots who should be able to handle the easiest part of using a gun.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Jaramin posted:

Actually, the movie takes pains to remind you that they are all murderous battle bots who should be able to handle the easiest part of using a gun.

The movie also takes pains to remind you that Adrien Brody is all but a natural leader because he goes "gently caress y'all, I'm out of here and if you want to follow me that's your problem" every 5 minutes. The movie is much better when you view it as "Inexplicably-cast-as-actionhero Adrien Brody saddled with a bunch of idiots, also Predators."

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

I watched Maze Runner and Scorch Trials recently, and while it's an enjoyable dystopian-future action romp, the basic premise seemed to make no sense at all (maybe it's explained better in the books, or will be in the third film).

So the Sun burnt the Earth and the survivors are all dying of a terrible virus, but some teenagers seem to be immune? Let's spend trillions on gigantic mechanised death-mazes filled with insane cyborg monsters, wipe their memories and try to violently murder them! That's easier than, like, medical research into the virus, right?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I was reading some comments on AV Club article and someone brought up a good point about Terminator 2. Why the gently caress did John Conner send back the exact same looking loving terminator knowing full well it would scare the ever loving poo poo out of Sarah?

Terminator and time travel movies are sort of low hanging fruit, I realize, but aside from "It has to star Arnold" was that ever explained?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

BiggerBoat posted:

I was reading some comments on AV Club article and someone brought up a good point about Terminator 2. Why the gently caress did John Conner send back the exact same looking loving terminator knowing full well it would scare the ever loving poo poo out of Sarah?

Terminator and time travel movies are sort of low hanging fruit, I realize, but aside from "It has to star Arnold" was that ever explained?

Skynet is not smart. They only had rubber skin Ahnold, and human tissue Ahnold before they went with Robert Patbot and Tittybot 5000.

If they had some ins with 80s era WWF they could have sent Andre le Giant in holocaust cloak bot and everyone would have just surrendered.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

BiggerBoat posted:

Yes, it is. The Arnold Terminators are specifically T-800 series 101s, and that was the only model of T-800 on-site at the time displacement facility.

A more questionable thing is why the Terminator refers to itself as a Cyberdyne Systems model. By the time it was made Cyberdyne Systems had been destroyed, and why would a robot designed to exterminate humanity associate itself with a human company anyway?

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

BiggerBoat posted:

Look, when you're fighting a guerrilla war against an unstoppable robot army, you take what you can get. It's not like John can pop down to Walmart and browse from a wide variety of flesh-covered robot supersoldiers. He sent back the same variant that originally went after Sarah because that's the one he had.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Inco posted:

Look, when you're fighting a guerrilla war against an unstoppable robot army, you take what you can get. It's not like John can pop down to Walmart and browse from a wide variety of flesh-covered robot supersoldiers. He sent back the same variant that originally went after Sarah because that's the one he had.

John Conner added groucho marx glasses, a fake nose and moustache, but they were inorganic and got burned away.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Jedit posted:

Yes, it is. The Arnold Terminators are specifically T-800 series 101s, and that was the only model of T-800 on-site at the time displacement facility.

A more questionable thing is why the Terminator refers to itself as a Cyberdyne Systems model. By the time it was made Cyberdyne Systems had been destroyed, and why would a robot designed to exterminate humanity associate itself with a human company anyway?

He also knew that it was the one he sent back.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid
I'm watching Cabin in the woods.

I got annoyed by the jump scare at the beginning, where the loving title of the movie comes up.

That's cheating. You can't just interrupt inane dialog with a scream and the title card for no reason.

Other than that, so far it's alright. Evil dead meets the cube.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Non Serviam posted:

I'm watching Cabin in the woods.

I got annoyed by the jump scare at the beginning, where the loving title of the movie comes up.

That's cheating. You can't just interrupt inane dialog with a scream and the title card for no reason.

Other than that, so far it's alright. Evil dead meets the cube.

It was also shamelessly stolen from Funny Games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3t5ho0eifo

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Tunicate posted:

John Conner added groucho marx glasses, a fake nose and moustache, but they were inorganic and got burned away.

From teh surprisingly good, The Punchline is Machismo

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Sleeveless posted:

It was also shamelessly stolen from Funny Games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3t5ho0eifo

I'm pretty sure that title card gag has been around a lot longer than whatever that link is from

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

I'm pretty sure that title card gag has been around a lot longer than whatever that link is from

It definitely is, but Funny Games is a p. good movie.