Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

Fans posted:

Brutal.

Speaking of which, we seem to have gone several pages without a single Pissflaps post. I hope he's ok (though I do appreciate that not posting in this thread is probably a good indicator of a healthy home/social life, rather than any cause for concern).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Continue to get confused and frustrated with me as I dance to your anger.

As I expect nothing more from ya you stupid runt!

Pork Pie Hat posted:

Speaking of which, we seem to have gone several pages without a single Pissflaps post. I hope he's ok (though I do appreciate that not posting in this thread is probably a good indicator of a healthy home/social life, rather than any cause for concern).

Say his name three times.

I dare you.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I lit some candles in front of a mirror and said his name three times once.

I ended up having a debate over semantics with my reflection for an hour.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Plucky Brit posted:

Do you think Russia would have even risked confrontation?

Considering the way Russia's handled things even without the threat of nuclear retaliation ("weren't us guv"), and very gradually leveraged Ukrainian internal conflicts, why not? Again, at what point exactly would Ukraine be faced with a clear, existential threat they could absolutely pin on Russia? Because that's kind of calculus involved when you interfere in another country it doesn't stop at 'whoa they have nuclear weapons best not get involved at all'

Renaissance Robot posted:

Let's take it to the nukechat thread if you want to continue, but: that's not how nuclear deterrence [supposedly] works.

There's debate to be had about whether MAD isn't just a tiger-repelling rock, but none of its proponents seriously suggest it's a universal defence, only that it stops you getting nuked.

Lots of people bring up Ukraine for exactly that reason though - in an alternate universe where they had nukes they definitely wouldn't have been invaded, this proves deterrence works! Ukraine didn't get nuked so there's no other reason to mention it!

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

I can't find any leadership polls to summon pissflaps with, but I did see this which is fun

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...y-a6745126.html

quote:

Police forces around the UK should save money by cutting back on investigations of historic child sex abuse, a Conservative peer has said.

Lord Lawson, who was Margaret Thatcher’s chancellor in the 1980s, said the police should not complain about a lack of resources for security work while the probes were being conducted.

"If you want funds maybe you should stop investigating all this child abuse. Hint hint."

Paxman
Feb 7, 2010

MrL_JaKiri posted:

You appear to be confusing "The news isn't covering Labour's attack on the government over this" with "Labour isn't attacking the government over this".

To quote the man himself

Corbyn ignored the doctors at PMQs with Cameron and issued that statement about the NHS in what the Independent calls an impassioned Facebook post.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
why would a nuclear-armed Ukraine insist on an existential threat, when a nuclear-armed Pakistan has its red line drawn on any substantive invasion or blockade by India?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Extreme0 posted:

Say his name three times.

I dare you.

Pissflaps pissflaps pissflaps

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008

baka kaba posted:

I can't find any leadership polls to summon pissflaps with, but I did see this which is fun

How on earth can 24% of Britain think the media is "too left wing" on immigration? Do these people want machine guns on the border?

I don't think I've seen a pro-immigration story in years.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It's not just print media, and the BBC had an immigrant on once and asked them questions and didn't throw rocks at them.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

feedmegin posted:

Helicopter drivers are troops.

dispatch_async
Nov 28, 2014

Imagine having the time to have played through 20 generations of one family in The Sims 2. Imagine making the original two members of that family Neil Buchanan and Cat Deeley. Imagine complaining to Maxis there was no technological progression. You've successfully imagined my life

NO gently caress YOU DAD posted:

How on earth can 24% of Britain think the media is "too left wing" on immigration? Do these people want machine guns on the border?

Yes.

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/694482097206091777

dispatch_async
Nov 28, 2014

Imagine having the time to have played through 20 generations of one family in The Sims 2. Imagine making the original two members of that family Neil Buchanan and Cat Deeley. Imagine complaining to Maxis there was no technological progression. You've successfully imagined my life

feedmegin posted:

Devastating news for the Remain campaign.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
they must be desperate if they have to cite online polls, we should tell them how Baby Hitler is set to win the presidency

baka kaba posted:

well off I go to Sweden then. I mean that does mean that there's lots of people who are more right-wing than the media but then I never interact with people anyway so what do i have to lose

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I'm not sure I believe a newspaper that is only 10 times better than the Daily Mail.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

I'm not sure I believe a newspaper that is only 10 times better than the Daily Mail.

10 times a negative number is still a negative number

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008

dispatch_async posted:

When did Hurley and Warne turn into a Pitchshifter album cover?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

dispatch_async posted:

lmao at the shamelessness of this. i'm impressed

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

A poll on the Daily Express website reinforced the paper's line on the EU? Dying of shock, me.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

But they have a sample size of 68,777! That's a margin or error of 0.071%! That's statistics, is what that is. Might as well not have the referendum now.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

ronya posted:

why would a nuclear-armed Ukraine insist on an existential threat, when a nuclear-armed Pakistan has its red line drawn on any substantive invasion or blockade by India?

It puts the AD in MAD

And it hasn't exactly calmed things down, has it? Last I heard Pakistan was threatening to nuke India if they chased insurgents over the border like they did in Burma (with the cooperation of the Burmese government). They still fight over the border and Kashmir, so obviously it's not a particularly hard line that everyone's terrified of crossing

Point is this whole 'nukes stop countries from being invaded' argument is circular reasoning

Angepain posted:

well off I go to Sweden then. I mean that does mean that there's lots of people who are more right-wing than the media but then I never interact with people anyway so what do i have to lose

Sweden was doing well but things have gone to poo poo there politically lately. Probably a huge backlash right now

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Feb 13, 2016

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

NO gently caress YOU DAD posted:

I'm quite disappointed with how little we've seen of Watson. McDonnell's been the best of the big three and he's done pretty well, but I expected Watson to be at people's throats and he just hasn't been.
Is he not maybe keeping his head down for a while after the whole Lord Brittan thing?

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008

TACD posted:

Is he not maybe keeping his head down for a while after the whole Lord Brittan thing?
That's what I'm worried about. They're going to hammer him over it regardless, keeping his head down is doing nothing but letting the Tories get all their big hits in without anyone calling them out on it.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
existential MAD is for roughly equal nuclear powers, like the US and Russia; the most that weaker nuclear powers can do is threaten to do so much damage that they have to be taken seriously

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Holy poo poo

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/698590106710581248

piss.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Pork Pie Hat posted:

I've bought a new house and it takes a lot of time and effort to move I'm sorry.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Don't sign your posts

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
Labour closer to UKIP than to the Tories. Such times we live in.

Congrats on the purchase, flaps. Welcome to the wonderful world of things like Saturday morning trips to B&Q for tools and materials to replace a length of skirting board.

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008

LemonDrizzle posted:

Welcome to the wonderful world of things like Saturday morning trips to B&Q for tools and materials to replace a length of skirting board.

Welcome to the world of finding the things they didn't tell you about when you viewed the place / didn't pay enough for a thorough enough survey to catch, and learning about wiring, roofing and plumbing !
(PM me if you need plumbing/gas advice - I'm still gas-safe registered)

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
Skimp on your first set of tools. When you have a firmer idea of the kind of DIY you'll actually need to do, then fork out for drills and bits.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Renfield posted:

Welcome to the world of finding the things they didn't tell you about when you viewed the place / didn't pay enough for a thorough enough survey to catch, and learning about wiring, roofing and plumbing !
(PM me if you need plumbing/gas advice - I'm still gas-safe registered)
Seriously, your POs are fuckheads who you hate. You just don't know it yet.

ronya posted:

Skimp on your first set of tools. When you have a firmer idea of the kind of DIY you'll actually need to do, then fork out for drills and bits.
This isn't a bad idea, but I'd say specifically for drills, it's not worth skimping. If you have a DIY bone in your body, you will use them and use them a lot. Get a decent combi drill and a decent impact driver.

Otherwise, cheap out, and replace what breaks with good stuff, because you're using it enough.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

Pissflaps posted:

I've bought a new house and it takes a lot of time and effort to move I'm sorry.

You don't have to be sorry, I'm glad you're ok!

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

Close to 230k signatures on government e-petition to remove Jeremy Hunt as health secretary. Labour really should be putting the loving boot in by now.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Pissflaps posted:

Shocking laziness here, d'you think maybe you should put in a few more hours? If you want to be a Striver in Hardworking Britain you can't just piss around all day moving house, what would your manager say?

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
Corbyn's net favourability according to that ComRes poll is -29%.
IDS' is -22%.

So it goes.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

It worked!
I am the Piss Whisperer.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

LemonDrizzle posted:

Corbyn's net favourability according to that ComRes poll is -29%.
IDS' is -22%.

So it goes.

Being fair I'm sure Hitler's doing pretty well amongst our countrymen at this point.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Well there's nothing in the British constitution that says you have to be native born to be PM. Or alive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Guavanaut posted:

Well there's nothing in the British constitution that says you have to be native born to be PM. Or alive.

• Locked thread