Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS

atomicthumbs posted:

When was the last time

That photo (at the very least) was from an exhibition by National Geographic in 2002. They aren't "new".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

I just hate seeing anything go to waste.

LAM TAN TAI posted:

The vast dark forest was my giant darkroom. In the morning I’d rinse the prints in a stream and then hang them from trees to dry. In the afternoon I’d cut them to size and do the captions. I’d wrap the prints and negatives in paper and put them in a plastic bag, which I kept close to my body. That way the photos would stay dry and could be easily found if I got killed.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Staged or not those photos are great.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Hey you guys think the back of this d800 looks alright or what?

http://vancouver.craigslist.ca/pml/phd/5434100807.html

For sale by a local camera shop.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Foggy night, decided to take a drive and see if I could find a good photo or two.

Was tailed for a solid five minutes by a police SUV who finally pulled me over for Failing To Use A Turn Signal. Not even a mile or two outside my own neighborhood.

loving bored suburban cops.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
What do you drive?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

iSheep posted:

Foggy night, decided to take a drive and see if I could find a good photo or two.

Was tailed for a solid five minutes by a police SUV who finally pulled me over for Failing To Use A Turn Signal. Not even a mile or two outside my own neighborhood.

loving bored suburban cops.

I hope you had a huge telephoto on your camera in the passenger seat when he came to the window.

JUST OUT FOR A DRIVE OFFICER HEH MIGHT SEE SOME BIRDS :pervert:

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

gently caress the police

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

VelociBacon posted:

I hope you had a huge telephoto on your camera in the passenger seat when he came to the window.

This, unironically (except for the :pervert: That's the ironic part of my support for this).

My 500mm stays in the back of the cab of my truck, along with my tripod. I have shot it through either front window while pulled over at the side of some random road, balancing the weight on the window frame and twisting the focus desperately trying to line up on an owl or a vulture or whatever. I have also stopped near another vehicle with a similar giant-rear end supertele sticking out of a window to see what they were looking at.

That's how I got to see some lovely cockatoos.
SD 117 Around Hobart Pt 5 Birdstop 6 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

What do you drive?

Also this, plus: How did you drive? A slow creep down a residential street, looking like you're searching for an empty house to break into?

I was pulled over very late one night, years ago on an otherwise completely empty road for "running a yellow light". The officer told me, just before he sent me on my way, that the *real* reason was I was a young man driving a minivan at night - those get stolen and used for strings of burglaries, filling the back with TVs and whatnot.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

VelociBacon posted:

I've had this exact conversation with several cops.

I've also had this conversation with some really scary hillbilly types in remote areas.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
The travel thread must be closed because I can't post in it from awful.app, so here goes:

I'm in Denver for the weekend, what's cool around here?

I don't mind driving an hour or two out of the city if something is really worth it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Rocky Mountain NP is pretty badass, but I assume all the rad stuff is buried in snow right now, like driving up to 12,000 feet. But the stuff near the park entrance is probably worth a visit for winter wonderland scenery.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

BANME.sh posted:

I'm in Denver for the weekend, what's cool around here?

Weed

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

What do you drive?

2006 Ford F150.

ExecuDork posted:

Also this, plus: How did you drive? A slow creep down a residential street, looking like you're searching for an empty house to break into?

I was pulled over very late one night, years ago on an otherwise completely empty road for "running a yellow light". The officer told me, just before he sent me on my way, that the *real* reason was I was a young man driving a minivan at night - those get stolen and used for strings of burglaries, filling the back with TVs and whatnot.

Speed limit. Once I confirmed they were tailing me my driving probably got a bit panicky because I knew they were gonna find any loving reason to pull me over.

VelociBacon posted:

Just my tripod and camera bag. But boy howdy did his partner check every inch of the cab with his flashlight through the passenger window.

Fun experience, can't wait to do it again A+++++

Ultimately:

bobmarleysghost posted:

gently caress the police

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

VelociBacon posted:

Hey you guys think the back of this d800 looks alright or what?

http://vancouver.craigslist.ca/pml/phd/5434100807.html

For sale by a local camera shop.

Nice, a hybrid model!

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

Party in the front, business in the back

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
improving my photos one step at a time

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Exposure through osmosis.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

xzzy posted:

Rocky Mountain NP is pretty badass, but I assume all the rad stuff is buried in snow right now, like driving up to 12,000 feet. But the stuff near the park entrance is probably worth a visit for winter wonderland scenery.

Yeah. I'm in a small town just outside Denver. The cool stuff is tough to get to right now, but you can drive West on 285 and get to Guanella Pass. https://www.codot.gov/travel/scenic-byways/north-central/guanella-pass

I think it's open, and even if closed, you'll have a nice drive with some good views.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
https://instagram.com/p/BBunKoUt9Nx/

The comments are wonderful

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Lmao

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

quote:

It's like a insult to me. I try each day to become a better photographer always trying to find an original and different point of view. But this is grabbing your cam and shooting the first thing I have in front of me. OK, a guy with a BOY cup and behind the Gize effigy. Buy where is the composition, the light, the surprise, the awesomeness?? Sorry but I don't buy this.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If random internet sperg is taking it as a personal insult, I hope they make a thousand more pictures just like it.

gently caress you, internet sperg.

Though I would like that photo better without the person in pink on the left. But that's just me.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Martin Parr is a huge troll and he knows it.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

lol this is a 30min drive from my place, is it worth checking out ?

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
lmao

quote:

jimmykarlssonse - I don't get it and it's so aggravating. I struggle now for years to get noticed as a photographer (not here on Instagram) and to make a living. So far without any greater success. But this picture which to me says nothing is apparently what it takes to get noticed and accepted into Magnum Photos. Maybe I should start taking snapshots without meaning, build up a portfolio with them and show it to all agencies around the world instead.

http://jimmykarlsson.com/wp/fotograf-orebro-fjugesta-kumla-hallsberg/

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Take bad photos and no one notices you? I'm shocked!

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
They aren't even bad though, thats the problem. They are just plain boring average snaps.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

They aren't even bad though, thats the problem. They are just plain boring average snaps.

The first one looks like a competent stock photograph (2016 value: 49 cents), the other two are not good.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
The second one looks weird but I guarantee whoever that girl is and whoever that kids parent are really like the photos and thats why his ego is so big.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Something about the photo of that kid really bugs me.

Like, I think it's the fact that it looks like he has a double chin and god drat two year olds shouldn't have double chins.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

HookShot posted:

Something about the photo of that kid really bugs me.

Like, I think it's the fact that it looks like he has a double chin and god drat two year olds shouldn't have double chins.

I think the pose looks forced and unnatural for a kid this age.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Yeah his arm is waaaaay above his head it looks uncomfortable as hell.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
So Pentax have finally confirmed their first full-frame and the Pentax thread is archived due to a lack of anyone giving a crap...

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Pablo Bluth posted:

So Pentax have finally confirmed their first full-frame and the Pentax thread is archived due to a lack of anyone giving a crap...

It's a sign of how late Pentax is to the FF game.

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

unpacked robinhood posted:

lol this is a 30min drive from my place, is it worth checking out ?

looks good, I would go

http://www.mairie-vannes.fr/vannesloisirs/le-kiosque/le-kiosque/article/le-kiosque-picture-yourself/

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

alkanphel posted:

It's a sign of how late Pentax is to the FF game.

They were too busy making MF digital affordable and it owns.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006

(Ignore terrible image quality, I only have access to MS paint with the computer I'm using.)

Images 0 to 4 in my screenshot are snaps of a fake sunrise happening. I've written a script to grab segments of each shot and merge them all into one image. The script can handle a few images up to thousands stitched together like this. If anyone has any interest in this let me know, I'd love more input. Otherwise I'll just go back to working on this by myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crap nerd
May 24, 2008
Is it just putting similar sized images side by side like that? Also, heads up if you're using python, you need to pass in some optional parameters writing out the image to set the jpg quality.