Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

The first arc of Mercury Heat was really good. This new issue though, it uh, it kinda took be by surprise and I'm not sure if I like where it might go with this but I trust Gillen to do something good with it.

Oh god Gillen, please do something good with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I almost tweeted to Gillen specifically to call him names after I saw those last few pages.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

HorseLord posted:

You can't gently caress in a fursuit. It'd be like trying to gently caress in those clothes Arctic explorers wear crossed with an old timey diving suit. You'd overheat and pass out. Unless someone has built some special watercooled fucksuit or something.

Have they?

A friend of mine made a killing by making just that, actually.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010

team overhead smash posted:

The first arc of Mercury Heat was really good. This new issue though, it uh, it kinda took be by surprise and I'm not sure if I like where it might go with this but I trust Gillen to do something good with it.

Oh god Gillen, please do something good with it.

I'm interested in this, but anything from Avatar press wards me off big-time. I'm still pissed at Neonomicon. Is this worth checking out?

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:

Yeah, it's written by Indie darling Kieron Gillen who I have personally had a boner for for several years and is set in the future with several key technological/cultural changes which serve to make the setting unique including dystopian libertarianism, modifiable and accessible memories and skills, body augmentation and personality profiling. The first arc is a good and interesting detective/action story that's resolved on the sixth issue, the second arc is just starting and we'll see how it goes.

I kinda feel the same way as you about most Avatar products, which is why the twist in the newest issue put me off. Turns out that there's a crossover with Crossed, which kinda kills my aforementioned boner but I'm still holding out hope that Gillen will surprise me.

team overhead smash fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Feb 4, 2016

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

team overhead smash posted:

Turns out that there's a crossover with Crossed, which kinda kills my aforementioned boner but I'm still holding out hope that Gillen will surprise me.

What? How could that possibly work?

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Unbelievably Fat Man posted:

I don't read Island because Brandon Graham, while making things I like, has super weird and questionable taste. There's like two comics in it I find interesting and the rest are viscerally not my poo poo. It's sad because I'd like to see more anthologies but it's hard to justify shelling out the price of two or three other comics for like a dozen pages of something I want.

Same thing goes for Dark Horse Presents too, but Onta definitely doesn't help.

I'm not sure what is and is not your poo poo, but I get a kick out of Vertigo's quarterly anthologies, CMYK (now in trade) and SFX (which just wrapped up). Strange Sports Stories was also a good time.
Hooray, anthologies! :)

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Chairman Capone posted:

What? How could that possibly work?

Our Hero turns up at a suddenly abandoned research station to discover some folks have gone Crossed, and her partner brings up Ennis. It's akin to if someone found creatures that were clearly copies of Romero's particular brand of zombie and said as much; someone's clearly purposefully emulated the Crossed virus and someone somewhere in the process read the Crossed comic.

Crossovers are usually dumb as gently caress in the best of times, so I'm not particularly confident about the outcome either, but we'll see. I really like the particular combo of tech in this universe.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I was looking at the comic shop today and took note of some titles that seemed interesting to me at a glance. Can anyone vouch for the following books?

Kennel Block Blues
Star Trek: Star Fleet Academy (looks kinda fun!)
The Spire
Negative Space
Wild's End
God Hates Astronauts

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Hedrigall posted:

God Hates Astronauts

I enjoy this but the humor is very specific in style and you may dislike it for no particular reason.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

God Hates Astronauts is one of the weirdest craziest dumbest no sense making comics I've ever read. And I loved every page of it. It is the stupidest thing you will likely ever read, and I say that completely as a positive.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
The Spire is great, I think I remember someone saying it reminded them of Planescape. But if not, I'll say that :colbert:

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
There's a new company called Overground Comics that's establishing its own superhero universe. It has to be better than Double Take, at least. Some of their stuff is free on their site:

http://overgroundcomics.com/free-reads/

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Locke & Key’s Joe Hill And Gabriel Rodríguez are doing Tales From The Darkside for IDW.
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/02/19/locke-keys-joe-hill-and-gabriel-rodriguez-on-tales-from-the-darkside-from-idw/

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark
That is the Hellraiseryest thing I've seen that's not actually Hellraiser since Event Horizon was in theaters.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

This poster reveals a pile of Aftershock creators who haven't had their books announced yet.

I hope Fracesco Francavilla is there for interiors/writing and not just covers.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Feb 20, 2016

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Copra round 3 is out and i didn't know til now :toot: http://bergenstreetcomicspress.bigcartel.com/

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

TheQat posted:

Copra round 3 is out and i didn't know til now :toot: http://bergenstreetcomicspress.bigcartel.com/

Yeah, I went to order Round 2 a few weeks ago and saw that was out and got both.

I had been hoping Fiffe would be at Awesomecon or Baltimore Comicon last year to buy from him but he wasn't. :(

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Hm was that it for I Hate Fairyland?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

SynthOrange posted:

Hm was that it for I Hate Fairyland?
No. Skottie Young tweeted that issue 5 was intended to be the end, but it's been doing so well he's continuing. (I haven't read the issue yet, but if it feels like a finale, that's why.)
https://twitter.com/skottieyoung/status/699986179496742912

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

Hedrigall posted:

I was looking at the comic shop today and took note of some titles that seemed interesting to me at a glance. Can anyone vouch for the following books?

Kennel Block Blues
Star Trek: Star Fleet Academy (looks kinda fun!)
The Spire
Negative Space
Wild's End
God Hates Astronauts

Belated but Wild's End is fairly decent. It's Dan Abnett doing Wind and The Willows in War of the Worlds. It's a bunch of Funny Animals stuck in an early invasion of extra terrestrial creatures. And as such it feels very British, where everyone aspires to survive so they can drink another day, and inbetween bouts of running away they just try to bum fags from one another (you know what I loving mean). Except the soldiers, who have fags to bum (get your mind out of the gutter). Notably the most competent of them is a quiet, shaken, former soldier who fought in what's pretty much WWI. Or Funny Animal WWI. In any case, the series is apparently divided into 6 issue mini-series, the first of which was about a year ago. It's main action was the band of heroes running away from various lamppost/tripods who are killing a number of them, while the second series is more paranoid military drama about what to do with this knowledge. The art style is fairly clean and expressive, presumably to create a ironic children's book aesthetic. Which is kinda undercut when the book opens up with people calling the local village drunkard a loony and a drunk. In anycase, it's a book that, to sound kinda pretentious, has a quaint charm that is beset by a grim foreboding of death.

In any case it's worth a read if it ever goes on sale on comixology, at least the first volume.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I feel incredibly blueballsed by the issue count on today's Plutonia.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

I liked the new The Goddamned, but the swearing and violence is total cheese ball. I laughed at Adam and Eve.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I realise it's probably not a BSS darling, but the new volume of Sunstone just came out and it's freakin' great. Sejic's facial work has always been a strength for him, and he makes a masterclass of it in this one, making it incredibly clear how the two leads are falling for one another while still being utterly oblivious about it. And that's the best part, it plays out like every romantic movie plot ever, with the big second act breakup and argument caused by miscommunication, but this actually lets you into the characters' headspace and has built up their personalities and relationship to the point where the lack of actually saying the words IS the problem, not just a symptom, and it makes sense within the context of who these people are.

Also, yes, he draws some boobs, butts and vaginas in bondage gear. And yep, they look good, but those are really just a garnish, when the power dynamics and specific etiquette of kink are the real elements that are being used to complicate the romance.

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

I'm a month late on this but what's up with (Saga 33's) fat The Will? Freelancer At Any Size?

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Happy Hedonist posted:

I liked the new The Goddamned, but the swearing and violence is total cheese ball. I laughed at Adam and Eve.

that ruled. if there weren't such self aware moments the book would be a lot worse for it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

I realise it's probably not a BSS darling, but the new volume of Sunstone just came out and it's freakin' great. Sejic's facial work has always been a strength for him, and he makes a masterclass of it in this one, making it incredibly clear how the two leads are falling for one another while still being utterly oblivious about it. And that's the best part, it plays out like every romantic movie plot ever, with the big second act breakup and argument caused by miscommunication, but this actually lets you into the characters' headspace and has built up their personalities and relationship to the point where the lack of actually saying the words IS the problem, not just a symptom, and it makes sense within the context of who these people are.

Also, yes, he draws some boobs, butts and vaginas in bondage gear. And yep, they look good, but those are really just a garnish, when the power dynamics and specific etiquette of kink are the real elements that are being used to complicate the romance.

Wasn't he really sick or something? I recall that being the reason he had to leave Rat Queens.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yes, and this book got pushed back several times as a result too.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
Anybody else reading "The Violent"? It's gritty and desperate without being dark for the sake of being dark. A story about the lovely things people in a lovely situation can be driven to do. Only three issues in.

Skeematic
Jan 18, 2003

Yikes.

Diet Poison posted:

Anybody else reading "The Violent"? It's gritty and desperate without being dark for the sake of being dark. A story about the lovely things people in a lovely situation can be driven to do. Only three issues in.

I've yet to read issue 3 but I really enjoyed the first two issues. You really want to pull for the dad, but he just makes stupid decisions like going to the bar or whatever.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

They put up a pair of preview pages (teasers) for WicDiv #18 as well as an alternative cover, it all looks glorious and bloody.

Also, Persephone skull eyes.

http://www.wicdiv.com/

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
Glad we're going back to full frontal covers. And really, is it a surprise that the Persephone teen is the one who comes back to life?

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

lotus circle posted:

Glad we're going back to full frontal covers. And really, is it a surprise that the Persephone teen is the one who comes back to life?

It was practically telegraphed, honestly. The real question is just how poo poo's going to get hosed up now.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

I have no idea what Prophet Earth War 2 was about. I really need to reread the entire series because I'm really confused.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

Happy Hedonist posted:

I have no idea what Prophet Earth War 2 was about. I really need to reread the entire series because I'm really confused.

Prophet always needs a re-read to make sense of it, and it's always, always worth it.

Street Soldier
Oct 28, 2005

An egotistical being like myself can't be allowed to live...
Finished Glory last night, can someone explain to me why her dad tried to kill her mum, and then 5 minutes later she was alive and okay and totally cool with him?

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

I thought it was a fake out of sorts He had to conquer the human half of their world or the demons would do it anyway but didn't want to actually kill her so he fake killed her for appearances. I would agree it all resolves really quickly but the book rushed to a conclusion due to cancellation.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Lumberjanes is crossing over with DC's Gotham Academy for a six issue miniseries.
http://www.villagevoice.com/arts/exclusive-boom-studios-announces-lumberjanes-and-gotham-academy-crossover-series-8367643

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

Enjoy both series a lot, and that cover art just "works" -- I don't know how often crossovers actually end up as genuinely "essential" comics, but this could be fun. Hadn't heard of the writer, but apparently she's been multiple-award-nominated, seems fairly selective about her projects, so I'm optimistic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:

onefish posted:

Enjoy both series a lot, and that cover art just "works" -- I don't know how often crossovers actually end up as genuinely "essential" comics, but this could be fun. Hadn't heard of the writer, but apparently she's been multiple-award-nominated, seems fairly selective about her projects, so I'm optimistic.

Needs a big Teen Titans style "ONE OF THESE CHARACTERS WILL DIE!!!! BUT WHICH ONE????" arrow on the front.