Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
I kinda loved this game. My favorite part about it is that it let me indulge my inner Ansel Adams and commit to taking the best drat possible photographs of these crazy computer-generated landscapes. That was a nice touch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jkyuusai
Jun 26, 2008

homegrown man milk

Hobo Clown posted:

Wait, he says his first game Juliet was in Australia, and his second game he put her in a home. Does Juliet end up their either way? I definitely put her in a home in my game, and Henry says multiple times that she's in Melbourne. Not really important, either way. Just not something I thought could change.

I opted to take care of her. Henry starts drinking a lot and eventually gets a DUI. Her parents find out and take her to Australia at that point.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I took her to a home and her sister visits every day. Is the home in Australia or Boulder? I missed how she ended up in Australia.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Raxivace posted:

This reminds me, what do the teens say in their note if you don't break or steal the stereo and don't take their alcohol?

pretty much You're a creepy rear end in a top hat that likes spying on naked girls

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I'm not sure if I liked this game or not. There are some neat touches I have to admit though. I disliked the ending somewhat as well.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I really liked everything, it felt like a neat little package. I liked the story idea of this PTSD ranger who became a hermit deciding to gently caress with these two people after he ran out of books or whatever

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Just beat it, and want to do another 1-2 runs to find different dialogue branches. I know not much will change, I just want to hear the conversation outcomes. The only anachronism I found in the dialogue was that I didn't go up to the tram until a few days before the end, but when Henry radioed Delilah about it they acted like they'd only known each other for a "few days". I assume you're supposed to have that conversation when you inspect the telephone line, but I didn't. Then for whatever reason it kept giving me the radio option which repeated the same dialogue, which didn't happen anywhere else - usually it takes away the option to radio in again.

I love how paranoid the latter half of the game is. They come to a conclusion that makes sense, but up until then it really ramps up the WTF-ness of some of the things that happen. I felt like the very ending could've been a little more decisive (there are a lot of "maybes" in the dialogue) and I felt like there could've been more revealed about Delilah, but otherwise I have no problem with the reveal or the conclusion. I apparently missed a lot of things though, going by other people's posts. No turtle or raccoon for me.

Cowman posted:

Did anyone else throw the stereo in the lake? I did and the reactions made me laugh.
I did. There was a nice little callback to it later when it seemed like Henry was about to be framed, which surprised me. They thought of everything. It reminded me of the trial scene in Chrono Trigger where everything you did in the first couple scenes came back later to make you look guilty.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan
I absolutely loved this game. The ending was perfectly fine and consistent with the rest of the experience.

It really does feel like gamers have been conditioned to expect either crazy/bombastic twists/endings or really black and white happy/sad endings. I can understand people feeling a little flat at the ending, but I can't think of any reason besides that to condemn it. Thematically and artistically, it seems perfectly fine to me.

As for the issues some people have with the length; while I can't tell you how to define value, I do think it's a shame that there's people who will discount or devalue something like this because it wasn't "long enough". It seemed like a complete experience to me which is all it should have been. There's certainly games out there where that could be a real issue, but with a narrative game like this where the pacing was great and the story was "complete" it seems like a strange criticism.

This will go on the relatively short list of games I have that I really want to be able to forget so I can experience it again for the first time.

Mr Scumbag fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Feb 13, 2016

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Is the ending feeling flat not a good reason to call it out?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Mr Scumbag posted:

As for the issues some people have with the length; while I can't tell you how to define value, I do think it's a shame that there's people who will discount or devalue something like this because it wasn't "long enough". It seemed like a complete experience to me which is all it should have been.
I thought the length was good. I was getting pretty sick of it by the end and was like "eh if this doesn't end soon..." Mostly just because backtracking and the same cinematographic climbing/repelling got a little old. Thankfully it will bring you back to your tower after a lot of scenes.

I really couldn't imagine it being much longer. Walking simulators really should be short and sweet, which I think this nailed.

Anyways I completely dug the 80s-ness and landscape. D & Henry banter is more the meat and potatoes of it which really sold it and I probably would have really disliked the game without it. Ending was pretty so-so but sort of what I expected based on their Gone Home ending. I don't know why but I was really getting "Adventureland" sort of vibes, I guess it's that sort of bonding-over-summer away from home experience thing that doesn't last.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Feb 13, 2016

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

NESguerilla posted:

It's a criticism you can have, of course, but it kind of assumes endings shouldn't be flat or melancholy, which is a little weird, in my opinion. I wouldn't have mentioned it at all if it didn't seem like such a popular opinion. Given that it fits in very well with the theme and grounded nature of the story, it's consistent which, like it or not, ties up the game adequately.

I suppose my problem is that some people are wording their criticisms in a pretty strong (over the top, IMO) way and some are even writing the game off. I don't want to tell people what they should like and value or not, but it really is a shame that the game can be "ruined" for some people who were otherwise enjoying it because the ending wasn't as grand or exciting as they'd hoped.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

sticklefifer posted:

I did. There was a nice little callback to it later when it seemed like Henry was about to be framed, which surprised me. They thought of everything.

I recall the developers saying the originally didn't think of it, but when they started testing the game, they noticed a significant number of testers threw the boombox in the lake for some reason. So they did the smart thing and added in responses for it.

Mr Scumbag posted:

It's a criticism you can have, of course, but it kind of assumes endings shouldn't be flat or melancholy, which is a little weird, in my opinion. I wouldn't have mentioned it at all if it didn't seem like such a popular opinion. Given that it fits in very well with the theme and grounded nature of the story, it's consistent which, like it or not, ties up the game adequately.

I suppose my problem is that some people are wording their criticisms in a pretty strong (over the top, IMO) way and some are even writing the game off. I don't want to tell people what they should like and value or not, but it really is a shame that the game can be "ruined" for some people who were otherwise enjoying it because the ending wasn't as grand or exciting as they'd hoped.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: a melancholy ending is not the problem. The ending being inconsistent and bait-and-switchy is the problem. They could've made the game all about Henry and Delilah and their problems and forest fires and drunk teens and forgot about the whole other angle, and it would've been better.

Hyper Crab Tank fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Feb 13, 2016

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Vando posted:

So I've just been watching the IGN super secret Firewatch spoiler cast and oh my god the Vanaman Hat Reveal has slain me. Appears at 44:40 and obviously there are other spoilers surrounding it, though it isn't really a spoiler itself unless you're Past Sean Vanaman or are really wild about hats.

Also to come back to this: the rest of the cast really goes into why some of the decisions were made that some people have been highlighting as less than great. Usually it's because of technical limitations, or the fact that everything becomes dependent on every prior choice the further you go into the game and it's hard to make the story still 'work' with all those variations.

I hadn't really thought about what it takes to make a game like this (I avoided all the pre-release devblogs etc) and the cast really opens up what a technical achievement it is, especially with a small team. I did like the part where Sean talked about having to write parts of the script through gritted teeth because "this is wrong! This isn't how the story should go! I hate this!", but because the player choices could have led to that point, it had to be written that way.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Yeah, I dunno, but I would have preferred an ending in which the entire conspiracy/Ned thing was missing completely. Just two people talking and discovering each other through conversation and maybe just have the fire go out of control naturally, which would still have been a nice way to wrap things up. The game wanted to be both a walking simulator but be a huge mystery as well and it just didn't work for me.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Cable posted:

So I think I just got a game-breaking bug. In day 77, after I find the reports about Henry and Delilah, and Delilah tells me to go back to the lookout, instead of leaving I just saved the game and went to sleep. Now I just loaded that save, but apparently when I hop the rocky gap the floor should've crumbled and it hasn't (I looked it up on Youtube). Anyone with this problem?

Had exact same problem in the same spot, no solution besides maybe grab an old save from PS+ if you can. It was so far along that I just watched the rest on youtube, super bummed still.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

The ending being inconsistent and bait-and-switchy is the problem.

The ending seems perfectly consistent with the rest of the game to me. The other part of your argument still seems strange to me. It seems like you don't think endings should be subversive, which I completely disagree with.

Unless I'm misunderstanding "bait-and-switchy". I don't see how any interpretation of that would make it an argument I would agree with, though. Wouldn't that mean any ending with a twist? I honestly have no idea.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
I said it before, but it's somewhere back in the dark depths of like a dozen pages ago, so: It's fine to subvert the player's expectation, but only if the subversion is actually good and interesting and fleshed-out. What this game does is spend 50% of the game or so setting up an idea about a conspiracy, which is not exactly a new idea or anything, but okay, it's somewhat interesting. Then in the last 10 minutes of the game it reveals no, it was Old Man Jenkins all along, ha ha. Who then escapes leaving the player with no satisfying conclusion to any story arc - not Henry's, not Delilah's, not Ned's. It's promising fireworks and then going out with a fart.

tl;dr: If you're going to do a subversion, make the subversion better than what you were fronting.

Hyper Crab Tank fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Feb 13, 2016

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

The subversion only works if you end up giving a poo poo about the story of Ned and Brian, whereas I felt it was a deviation from everything I considered relevant or interesting about the experience.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Rookersh posted:

It's literally the same thing.

Ned dies because he's deciding to stay in the woods during a massive fire?

I'm pretty sure Ned doesn't die. He's been in the area for years and has become quite the survivalist, I think, not to mention he was already an accomplished outdoorsman before Brian's death. We know he's seen multiple huge fires in his time staying at the park, and it's reasonable to think he should be able to navigate to further areas of the park while avoiding the deadly areas being burnt right now.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
My problem is the ending was so abrupt. The game actually starts ending before you even conclude the story. "Wow, that's what happened, huh? Oh well it's time to go home, bye."

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Cojawfee posted:

My problem is the ending was so abrupt. The game actually starts ending before you even conclude the story. "Wow, that's what happened, huh? Oh well it's time to go home, bye."

I just finished it and I totally disagree with this. The 'main plot' is resolved, and then the game gives you a good 20-30 minutes to reflect and discuss it before the credits roll. It feels really natural.

Super, super good game. The only thing that's left me confused is the bit where you overheard Delilah talking to someone else, presumably about you, and it seems like she's doing something shady. Was that just dropped or did the resolution go way over my head?

Anyway I now really want to buy myself some walking boots and go hiking through some English forests. I'd better get back to XCOM 2 so these harmful urges can pass.

EDIT: Holy poo poo people are actually wishing the game ended with a big silly LOST conspiracy? 'Kay then.

stev fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Feb 13, 2016

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

Steve2911 posted:

Was that just dropped or did the resolution go way over my head?

It's just her talking to someone else and meant to lead the player into getting paranoid. Pretty great.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I agree with Steve2911, though that being said a an actual LOST game by these people would be super cool.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

KoldPT posted:

It's just her talking to someone else and meant to lead the player into getting paranoid. Pretty great.

Yeah, she gets pissed off at you and refuses to talk to you for a little while if you decide to be super insecure. She was just talking to another lookout or something.

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
The ending could have gone MANY different ways, but instead it really did just pull a Scooby Doo. 'It was me all along. Also I've already escaped. Bye.' and then Henry wanders off and leaves. It didn't need to have aliens or paranoia conspiracies, it could have been the benevolent little story about actually trying to stop fires, with Delilah along for the ride, and you can still make it a good story about two wounded people trying to find healing out in the woods. Instead there's just a bunch of build-up and no pay off. In anything.

Like, there's no way to tell me that the ending is something I will somehow end up liking. I like most of the rest of the game. The ending is poo poo. I don't like the ending. And endings are very important things in stories and games. The rest of the game ranges from okay to very good, but that ending is just...hm.

Also apparently one of the devs is sad/angry on Steam comments that people are saying that they got refunds for the game being too short or that the game isn't worth the price, and they had it really hard and they had to share a bathroom and you people just don't understand. :/

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

QUEEN CAUCUS posted:

Also apparently one of the devs is sad/angry on Steam comments that people are saying that they got refunds for the game being too short or that the game isn't worth the price, and they had it really hard and they had to share a bathroom and you people just don't understand. :/

Did you actually read that comment? That's a pretty gross exaggeration of what she said, which was a pretty drat good and honest thing. http://steamcommunity.com/app/383870/discussions/0/412446890557047927/#c412446890557147384

Also the rest of what you said is wrong.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Well not all of it. The part about the game's ending being bad is right

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT

Steve2911 posted:

Did you actually read that comment? That's a pretty gross exaggeration of what she said, which was a pretty drat good and honest thing. http://steamcommunity.com/app/383870/discussions/0/412446890557047927/#c412446890557147384

Also the rest of what you said is wrong.

In fact I purport that everything I said was in fact right. :smug:

The ending was bad, they took a risk career and money wise and had to share a microwave (as happens pretty much every time a new business starts), and it seems to be paying off well for them sales-wise at #2 on Steam, but their game is a lot shorter than they advertised and there's a lot of people who don't like it and don't feel it's worth the money.

I personally don't think the game is worth twenty dollars, but it might be worth ten. It's a lovely game, but it has problems.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

QUEEN CAUCUS posted:

their game is a lot shorter than they advertised and there's a lot of people who don't like it and don't feel it's worth the money

Out of interest, where did they advertise the game's length?

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT

Steve2911 posted:

Out of interest, where did they advertise the game's length?

I believe they said it would be around 5-6 hours without exploration.
I completed it in 3, even after getting lost several times and leaving it open while I ate dinner, and leaving it on walking speed a lot because I was admiring the world.
It's quite a short game. And I don't have anything against short story games, and I like the game enough that I don't feel it's refund-worthy, but again, I wish I had waited and gotten it on sale.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

QUEEN CAUCUS posted:

I completed it in 3, even after getting lost several times and leaving it open while I ate dinner, and leaving it on walking speed a lot because I was admiring the world.
It's quite a short game.

A lot of people believe a lot of things.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

QUEEN CAUCUS posted:

Yeah ok, where?

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT

Phone posted:

A lot of people believe a lot of things.

I'm not going to go around digging for the exact quote source because I am just not that invested in this forums argument, but everything I'd heard right up until release was '5-6 without exploration'.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

QUEEN CAUCUS posted:

In fact I purport that everything I said was in fact right. :smug:

The ending was bad, they took a risk career and money wise and had to share a microwave (as happens pretty much every time a new business starts), and it seems to be paying off well for them sales-wise at #2 on Steam, but their game is a lot shorter than they advertised and there's a lot of people who don't like it and don't feel it's worth the money.

I personally don't think the game is worth twenty dollars, but it might be worth ten. It's a lovely game, but it has problems.

You left out the bit of the OP being a little shithead

quote:

So this game was 18$. I purchased it because i enjoyed games like this. And I enjoyed this game. Alot. Like, way more than a healthy amount. But it was 2-3 hours. I feel like there could of been more, and im thinking of refunding. But here is my problem: I loved this game. It was a unique game with awesome narration and storytelling. I like the developers. I mean seriously, have you seen how active they are on theese forums? What other dev is that connected to their community? I want to support the developers, but there was so much more i could of got with my 18$. Should i refund, or hold on to it?

quote:

Well, thats the thing. I liked it. I LOVED it. But there were other things i could of spent 18 - 20$ on that would of provided alot more gameplay. I'm really torn here.

quote:

I specificially said that i like and support the developers, and they should have money. It's just that i could of used my 18$ to get something much longer. Where the hell did i say they don't deserve the money?

quote:

quote:

Because you are having to ask whether or not to get a refund after completing the game that you enjoyed.
How in the name of god does that translate to "lel the devs dont deserve the moni xdddd" I'm saying i might want to refund it due to getting soemthing much longer with my 18$.

Hey guys, I just want to have my cake and eat it, too. Whoa, why are you guys acting like I said I liked cake. I don't understand where you drew that comparison.

Note: this dude said he decided to keep the game, but only after Jane posted.

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT

Phone posted:

How in the name of god does that translate to "lel the devs dont deserve the moni xdddd" I'm saying i might want to refund it due to getting soemthing much longer with my 18$.

Hey guys, I just want to have my cake and eat it, too. Whoa, why are you guys acting like I said I liked cake. I don't understand where you drew that comparison.

[/quote]

Granted. I didn't read the rest of the thread.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

NESguerilla posted:

I suppose it depends on why you think it's flat. Some people are mad they didn't find Area 51, but I thought it was fascinating seeing Henry and Delilah act paranoid, how they supported and suspected each other, and how they reacted to the truth. I guess because the game started off so grounded and was clearly being ambiguous about whether or not there really was an experiment, the ending was unsurprising (and sad--stepping over the boy's shriveled corpse, I felt so sorry for him).

The bitching over the price is entitled gamer crap; it's clearly worth its price as an escapist hiking simulator full of hidden details and dialogue choices to explore in subsequent playthroughs. It costs less than a World of Warcraft mount.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Toady posted:

I suppose it depends on why you think it's flat. Some people are mad they didn't find Area 51, but I thought it was fascinating seeing Henry and Delilah act paranoid, how they supported and suspected each other, and how they reacted to the truth. I guess because the game started off so grounded and was clearly being ambiguous about whether or not there really was an experiment, the ending was unsurprising (and sad--stepping over the boy's shriveled corpse, I felt so sorry for him).

The bitching over the price is entitled gamer crap; it's clearly worth its price as an escapist hiking simulator full of hidden details and dialogue choices to explore in subsequent playthroughs. It costs less than a World of Warcraft mount.

That's a helluva strawman you're packing there buddy

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Hakkesshu posted:

How is it a strawman?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Hakkesshu posted:

There was a link to a steamcommunity thread about someone hemming and hawing over getting a refund inside a SA Game's thread where people have said "beat it, got a refund, jokes on u".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Phone posted:

the steam forums are literally full of these kinds of threads and it's amazing that people will sit there saying "Hey I enjoyed this game but the internet doesn't like it so should I refund it?" They don't want to do any thinking for themselves and it's really weird.

• Locked thread