Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nickutz
Feb 3, 2004

Put blue and red chicken in mouth plz
For some reason AMEX is mailing me targeted sign up bonus offers for the PRG when I've already had that card and bonus in the past. I'd gladly accept the sign up bonus again but I don't believe I'm eligible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

nickutz posted:

For some reason AMEX is mailing me targeted sign up bonus offers for the PRG when I've already had that card and bonus in the past. I'd gladly accept the sign up bonus again but I don't believe I'm eligible.

Check the fine print. Does it have the lifetime limit language? I got a PRG targeted offer without it. Never tested it cause I was working on some other minimum spends but you might think about it if your offer is like mine.

nickutz
Feb 3, 2004

pig slut lisa posted:

Check the fine print. Does it have the lifetime limit language? I got a PRG targeted offer without it. Never tested it cause I was working on some other minimum spends but you might think about it if your offer is like mine.

Can't seem to find the lifetime limit anywhere in the fine print from the mailer, or when I used the RSVP code online. Since I'm not working on any other required spend I'm jumping on it.

edit: Called Barclaycard today too about downgrading my Aviator Red to the no annual fee version, and not only did they waive the fee on my Red for another year but offered 5000 AAdvantage miles after $1k/90d spend. Plus a credit line increase with no hard pull. Didn't mean to back myself into two minimum spends today but 2k over 3 months is pretty easy.

nickutz fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Jan 25, 2016

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Does anyone know how often, if at all, you can re-apply at Chase for a rewards card? I'm planning to move my limit for my Slate over to my Amazon rewards card and close the Slate as it's paid off, just curious if in doing so I'll be able to apply for another one down the line.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

GobiasIndustries posted:

Does anyone know how often, if at all, you can re-apply at Chase for a rewards card? I'm planning to move my limit for my Slate over to my Amazon rewards card and close the Slate as it's paid off, just curious if in doing so I'll be able to apply for another one down the line.
In terms of the signup bonus, you are generally limited to once every 2 years. For some of the UR cards, they will deny your application if you've had more than 5 new accounts opened in the last two years.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Small White Dragon posted:

In terms of the signup bonus, you are generally limited to once every 2 years. For some of the UR cards, they will deny your application if you've had more than 5 new accounts opened in the last two years.

Oh cool, thanks. That's from the card opening date I assume, so if I close that card now I could probably apply for another one in around a year (have had it opened for 12 months now, and by then the other cards I have will have been older than 2 years as well)?

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

GobiasIndustries posted:

Oh cool, thanks. That's from the card opening date I assume, so if I close that card now I could probably apply for another one in around a year (have had it opened for 12 months now, and by then the other cards I have will have been older than 2 years as well)?

It's actually from the date the bonus posted, so depending on how quickly you meet the minimum spend it works out to 26-28 months from opening.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

pig slut lisa posted:

It's actually from the date the bonus posted, so depending on how quickly you meet the minimum spend it works out to 26-28 months from opening.

Well the slate's offer is 0% interest for 15 mo., $0 fee balance transfers, so I don't know how that translates compared to normal bonus cards.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Do people close cards and reapply for them to get signing bonus, or is this talk about getting signing bonuses through some other method?

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

GobiasIndustries posted:

Well the slate's offer is 0% interest for 15 mo., $0 fee balance transfers, so I don't know how that translates compared to normal bonus cards.

I'm a little confused. Are you talking about closing your current Slate, waiting, and then reapplying for a second Slate? Or would you be applying for a rewards card? If the former, I don't see a time limit in the T&C. I think the Slate's no-fee balance transfer and 0% APR are both "features" and not "bonuses", if that makes sense. If you'd be applying for a rewards card, your bonus eligibility would be totally unaffected by you having had the Slate.

Massasoit posted:

Do people close cards and reapply for them to get signing bonus, or is this talk about getting signing bonuses through some other method?

Yeah, people do this, although it's harder and takes longer now than it used to.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

pig slut lisa posted:

I'm a little confused. Are you talking about closing your current Slate, waiting, and then reapplying for a second Slate? Or would you be applying for a rewards card? If the former, I don't see a time limit in the T&C. I think the Slate's no-fee balance transfer and 0% APR are both "features" and not "bonuses", if that makes sense. If you'd be applying for a rewards card, your bonus eligibility would be totally unaffected by you having had the Slate.

Oh yeah that definitely makes sense, sorry for the confusion. Not that I'm planning on it, I was just wondering if, down the line, I'd be able to take advantage of their no-fee/0%APR 'feature' again if I ever had to. I don't need any of their rewards cards right now, I'm set with my Amex Blue and Amazon Visa combo for the time being.

antiga
Jan 16, 2013

I opened a citi double cash to use as a joint account with my SO for cable, phone bill, and groceries. Unfortunately I just found out citi won't do joint accounts and that's probably a deal breaker.

I have a chase freedom, Sallie Mae Barclaycard, and now double cash which I'll use for personal expenses. She has a very basic 1% card that needs to be replaced. We travel domestic 1-2 times per year so travel rewards are on the table but I was aiming for cash back. Recommendations for a joint card?

nickutz
Feb 3, 2004

I don't know if any of the major card issuers even offer joint accounts anymore. Usually you just add the other person as an authorized user.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
I have a couple questions, probably dumb ones. I've had a bank-issued credit card since I got out of high school 7 years ago. I want to finally get an "actual" credit card. I tend to pay my card off completely, so interest isn't a problem. I have been leaning towards the Discover It card and Chase Freedom Card. They seem to give basically the same rewards, but I guess I have a better sign on bonus ($150) with the Chase card, assuming I make that $500 in purchases. And recently I see the Amazon Visa as being attractive, I do shop there a fairly high amount. Any advice to sway me either way?

Also, will closing a credit card (my bank one) affect my credit score negatively? Or will just not using it?

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

I have a couple questions, probably dumb ones. I've had a bank-issued credit card since I got out of high school 7 years ago. I want to finally get an "actual" credit card. I tend to pay my card off completely, so interest isn't a problem. I have been leaning towards the Discover It card and Chase Freedom Card. They seem to give basically the same rewards, but I guess I have a better sign on bonus ($150) with the Chase card, assuming I make that $500 in purchases. And recently I see the Amazon Visa as being attractive, I do shop there a fairly high amount. Any advice to sway me either way?

Also, will closing a credit card (my bank one) affect my credit score negatively? Or will just not using it?

Depending on just how much you spend the Amex Blue Cash Preferred can be better for you than the Amazon visa. There's a yearly fee, but 6% back at grocery stores (including amazon gift cards) up to 6k spent per year (it works out to being a hair under 5% if you were to buy 6k in groceries and not take advantage of any amex offers). If you spend more than 2500 at grocery stores and Amazon a year it's going to be better than no-fee 3% cards.

There's no real downside to having multiple no-fee cards, assuming you manage them properly. I have both the Discover It and Chase Freedom, no reason not to get both. But don't "tend" to pay off your cards completely, always pay them off completely. Not completely paying off the balance of a rewards card defeats the purpose of having one.

Closing a credit card, especially your oldest one, will hurt your credit score. No penalty for not using it, but your issuer may close it after a long time with no activity. If there's no fee just leave it, and if it has a fee call them up and ask to downgrade it to one without a fee. Put a charge on it every month or two and you'll never have problems, you can always close it later.

becoming
Aug 25, 2004

Desuwa posted:

Closing a credit card, especially your oldest one, will hurt your credit score.

We had a big discussion about this a few months ago, but this isn't unilaterally true. It depends on the scoring model that is being used. However, it's probably smart to keep it open, as closed accounts will roll off your report after ten years, and having long-standing accounts in good standing helps to lessen the hit to Average Age of Accounts (AAoA), which absolutely will have an immediate impact on every credit scoring model.

So, in other words, if it's costing you nothing to keep it open, it's probably a good idea to keep it open. Put your Netflix subscription on it, have it auto-pay every month, and take ten seconds to look at the statement monthly to make sure a fraudulent charge didn't find its way on.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

becoming posted:

We had a big discussion about this a few months ago, but this isn't unilaterally true. It depends on the scoring model that is being used. However, it's probably smart to keep it open, as closed accounts will roll off your report after ten years, and having long-standing accounts in good standing helps to lessen the hit to Average Age of Accounts (AAoA), which absolutely will have an immediate impact on every credit scoring model.

So, in other words, if it's costing you nothing to keep it open, it's probably a good idea to keep it open. Put your Netflix subscription on it, have it auto-pay every month, and take ten seconds to look at the statement monthly always have your cards loaded into Mint and review transactions weekly to make sure a fraudulent charge didn't find its way on.
FTFY

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
Agreed, but with Quicken :devil:

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Desuwa posted:

Depending on just how much you spend the Amex Blue Cash Preferred can be better for you than the Amazon visa. There's a yearly fee, but 6% back at grocery stores (including amazon gift cards) up to 6k spent per year (it works out to being a hair under 5% if you were to buy 6k in groceries and not take advantage of any amex offers). If you spend more than 2500 at grocery stores and Amazon a year it's going to be better than no-fee 3% cards.

There's no real downside to having multiple no-fee cards, assuming you manage them properly. I have both the Discover It and Chase Freedom, no reason not to get both. But don't "tend" to pay off your cards completely, always pay them off completely. Not completely paying off the balance of a rewards card defeats the purpose of having one.

Closing a credit card, especially your oldest one, will hurt your credit score. No penalty for not using it, but your issuer may close it after a long time with no activity. If there's no fee just leave it, and if it has a fee call them up and ask to downgrade it to one without a fee. Put a charge on it every month or two and you'll never have problems, you can always close it later.

Thanks for the info. I should have specified that tending to pay = always pay in my case

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

antiga posted:

I opened a citi double cash to use as a joint account with my SO for cable, phone bill, and groceries. Unfortunately I just found out citi won't do joint accounts and that's probably a deal breaker.

I have a chase freedom, Sallie Mae Barclaycard, and now double cash which I'll use for personal expenses. She has a very basic 1% card that needs to be replaced. We travel domestic 1-2 times per year so travel rewards are on the table but I was aiming for cash back. Recommendations for a joint card?

I just opened one last month and was also disappointed that joint wasn't an option, but I just added her as an authorized user and it's close enough. I looked at others around the same time and didn't see joint as an option pretty much anywhere.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I'm not really one for churning, however summer tuition is unique and can be paid with a credit card. Any exciting intro promos I should jump on for an expected purchase of ~$3000 or should I just collect my 2% from Citi? Mostly just looking for cash back instead of miles or hotel points, so I guess I'm looking for anyone doing like a 5% cash back intro promo.

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I'm not really one for churning, however summer tuition is unique and can be paid with a credit card. Any exciting intro promos I should jump on for an expected purchase of ~$3000 or should I just collect my 2% from Citi? Mostly just looking for cash back instead of miles or hotel points, so I guess I'm looking for anyone doing like a 5% cash back intro promo.

Chase Sapphire Preferred, $500 off $4,000. (Or $625 if you buy airfare/hotels through their travel portal with the points). https://www.chase.com/online/sapphire/sapphire.html

Other choice: Barclay Arrival+, $400 off $3,000 - however, you'll need to find a $400 travel purchase to redeem against to get that value. http://www.findmybarclaycard.com/barclaycard-credit-cards/arrival-plus

Both have annual fees of around $100, but waived the first year.

antiga
Jan 16, 2013

CSP has lots of travel benefits and it's obviously valuable if you use the chase freedom a lot. But unless I'm missing something, it doesn't seem great for general use over the long term. I always assumed it was promoted on blogs mostly because of the generous referral, but maybe I'm wrong. Thoughts?

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
I'm renewing this month, but that's because I'm using the $10k limit on travel insurance on a trip this year and it's cheaper than buying the travel insurance outright. Also, the primary insurance on a car rental coming up is going to be very useful (so long as the agency doesn't literally force us to insure the car with them). I've never had to use the delayed baggage reimbursement, and I don't move enough through that card to be able to push large numbers of points into different loyalty programs connected to the CSP. I will not likely renew next year.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

antiga posted:

CSP has lots of travel benefits and it's obviously valuable if you use the chase freedom a lot. But unless I'm missing something, it doesn't seem great for general use over the long term. I always assumed it was promoted on blogs mostly because of the generous referral, but maybe I'm wrong. Thoughts?

Almost none of the cards with good bonuses are worth using long term. I think most travel blogs promote CSP because lots of people have freedom cards, the points are really flexible, and it's pretty easy to get.

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

Almost none of the cards with good bonuses are worth using long term. I think most travel blogs promote CSP because lots of people have freedom cards, the points are really flexible, and it's pretty easy to get.

CSP also has "travel delay protection" which is pretty great; if you have to swing an overnight delay, they will pay (up to $500) for your hotel and food and stuff, if you bought the plane ticket (or any part of it) on the CSP.

If you use that once, it more than pays for the AF. However, there otherwise isn't much reason to keep the CSP other than being able to transfer points from the Freedom.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Bisty Q. posted:

Chase Sapphire Preferred, $500 off $4,000. (Or $625 if you buy airfare/hotels through their travel portal with the points). https://www.chase.com/online/sapphire/sapphire.html

Both have annual fees of around $100, but waived the first year.
Thanks! I think I'll give this one a shot. I believe it's one of the more difficult to qualify for, but I'm hoping I'll be okay. I'm not sure if it'll be worth keeping afterward since I don't travel much (at least not while I'm finishing up school) but who knows what a year from now will bring!

Going to read up on it a bit more on NerdWallet since I've never really done points cards, just cash back (Citi DoubleCash, AmEx BCP, and a Wells Fargo 1% that I keep because it's my oldest account)

Edit: I've read here and in other threads that high limits might be bad for churning, resulting in maybe having to call the reconsideration line if they think you have too much credit already. Is this true if it's through other banks or just banks you already have cards with? I've heard of having to call to do something like lower the limit on an existing Chase card in order to qualify for a new one. I have no cards with them but about ~$100k in combined limits from my other 3 cards.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Feb 3, 2016

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

Thanks! I think I'll give this one a shot. I believe it's one of the more difficult to qualify for, but I'm hoping I'll be okay. I'm not sure if it'll be worth keeping afterward since I don't travel much (at least not while I'm finishing up school) but who knows what a year from now will bring!

Going to read up on it a bit more on NerdWallet since I've never really done points cards, just cash back (Citi DoubleCash, AmEx BCP, and a Wells Fargo 1% that I keep because it's my oldest account)

Edit: I've read here and in other threads that high limits might be bad for churning, resulting in maybe having to call the reconsideration line if they think you have too much credit already. Is this true if it's through other banks or just banks you already have cards with? I've heard of having to call to do something like lower the limit on an existing Chase card in order to qualify for a new one. I have no cards with them but about ~$100k in combined limits from my other 3 cards.

As long as you haven't opened more than 5 cards in the past 2 years and your credit is otherwise good, you should be able to get the CSP.

The high limits thing is on a per-bank basis. Most banks operate in that they have an internal total credit limit they're willing to give you, and if you have enough cards to hit or exceed that limit, you won't be automatically approved for a new card. Not being auto approved is bad news for a churner, so that's why there's so much talk of micro-ing it.

If your utilization is high (above 30%) on your other cards, then that might be a slight issue, but I doubt a student's got $30K of credit card debt and if you do please for the love of God don't get into any more for $500.

Finally, Ultimate Rewards points (the ones the CSP gives you) can be cashed out for statement credits at 1 cent per point, so you can pretend like it just earns 1% cashback and that you'll get $500 after hitting minimum spend if you don't want to learn about UR.

You should also try adding an authorized user in the application (you just get an extra card which you can throw away or whatever), because that used to give you an extra 5K points/$50.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

For what it's worth, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is not super hard to attain as long as your FICO is over 700: https://www.viewfromthewing.boardingarea.com/2015/02/06/data-shows-credit-score-need-approved-best-rewards-card/

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Bisty Q. posted:

As long as you haven't opened more than 5 cards in the past 2 years and your credit is otherwise good, you should be able to get the CSP.
Just the DoubleCard and BCP in the last 2 years.

Bisty Q. posted:

The high limits thing is on a per-bank basis. Most banks operate in that they have an internal total credit limit they're willing to give you, and if you have enough cards to hit or exceed that limit, you won't be automatically approved for a new card. Not being auto approved is bad news for a churner, so that's why there's so much talk of micro-ing it.
That makes sense. Thanks for the explanation!

Bisty Q. posted:

If your utilization is high (above 30%) on your other cards, then that might be a slight issue, but I doubt a student's got $30K of credit card debt and if you do please for the love of God don't get into any more for $500.
Nah I'm at <1% (CreditKarma ends up reporting it as 0% every month) since my limits are so high and I also pay them off every month.

Bisty Q. posted:

Finally, Ultimate Rewards points (the ones the CSP gives you) can be cashed out for statement credits at 1 cent per point, so you can pretend like it just earns 1% cashback and that you'll get $500 after hitting minimum spend if you don't want to learn about UR.
Neat. I'll see if I want to go anywhere this summer and maybe throw it at airfare for the extra redemption value, but most likely I'll just cash it out. Otherwise I feel like I'm defeating the purpose of trying to maximize my return by opening another card if I just blow it on something frivolous that I wouldn't have spent money on in the first place.

Bisty Q. posted:

You should also try adding an authorized user in the application (you just get an extra card which you can throw away or whatever), because that used to give you an extra 5K points/$50.
Am I able to remove them afterward? What are the conditions for adding someone? I don't think I have anyone I trust enough for that. :(

pig slut lisa posted:

For what it's worth, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is not super hard to attain as long as your FICO is over 700: https://www.viewfromthewing.boardingarea.com/2015/02/06/data-shows-credit-score-need-approved-best-rewards-card/
Perfect. Hopefully I'll have no problem then. Thanks again to both of you. I'll see how this CSP goes. Every time I think I've got a nice small stable of cards to maximize my cash back, I find myself wanting to open something new. I was thiiiiiiis close to opening a Discover card a couple of months ago when they were doing that Apple Pay promotion that seemed to stack with their other introductory promotion.

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

Am I able to remove them afterward? What are the conditions for adding someone? I don't think I have anyone I trust enough for that. :(
You can literally give one to your cat if you want, the form just asks for their name (at least it did when I applied). You get the other card at the same time as yours, and it has the same account number as yours. I put down my middle name for the AU card then threw it away, just to get the extra $50.

I don't see any reference to the 5000 point AU bonus on their website, though, so it might not still be running anymore and the whole thing is moot :(

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Bisty Q. posted:

I don't see any reference to the 5000 point AU bonus on their website, though, so it might not still be running anymore and the whole thing is moot :(
I still see it, I think:

on this page:

https://www.chase.com/online/sapphire/sapphire.html

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

Derp, it isn't on the application page or anywhere in that flow, but I didn't go back to that page.

So, yeah, definitely add the AU and get rid of the card. $50 is $50.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

antiga posted:

CSP has primary insurance for rental cars, no foreign transaction fee, the card is made of metal, flexible rewards program, purchase protection for price changes, returns, extended warranty, damage/theft, and travel reimbursement for delays. The rental insurance is a big one.

becoming
Aug 25, 2004

Perfect. Hopefully I'll have no problem then. Thanks again to both of you. I'll see how this CSP goes. Every time I think I've got a nice small stable of cards to maximize my cash back, I find myself wanting to open something new. I was thiiiiiiis close to opening a Discover card a couple of months ago when they were doing that Apple Pay promotion that seemed to stack with their other introductory promotion.

Shoulda done it! Discover confirmed that it does stack, and it has been awesome. I was in the market for a new TV and refrigerator anyway, plus I bought a ton of poo poo for Christmas and picked up a few things for friends (they paid me back). I milked about $700 off of that promo, all of which will be doubled when my account hits the one-year mark. Plus, Discover has been just awesome to deal with. No idea how they justified that promo internally but I'm sure glad I got to take advantage of it.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

becoming posted:

Shoulda done it! Discover confirmed that it does stack, and it has been awesome.
Yeah it ended up being a low-budget Holiday season for me due to other financial obligations, so the only place to use Apple Pay would have been the grocery store. It ended up not really being worth it for me once I budgeted out the rest of the year. It definitely seems like it was a good deal though if I'd been planning to spend a lot at Apple Pay merchants.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
A bit late since you already got CSP but Citi Premier could be worth looking at depending on your spending habits - they just lowered the signup bonus to 40k instead of 50k so it can't match Chase there, but you get 3% back on travel expenses so if you spend lots on airfare or gas or public transit or taxis it could make up the difference over the year.

Same $95 annual fee waived the first year, same travel protections, same general redemption values for your points.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
There's a few other Citi cards I'd like to have but until they shut it down, Citi is a Platinum AA factory for me right now.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid
Looking for advice about AMEX MR rewards.

I want to apply\keep the Amex EveryDay® Credit Card to store my MR rewards while churning and also keep it permanently to build my credit since there's a $0 annual fee.

Should I 1 account with my wife as a secondary card holder or should we have two separate accounts?

When we churn the regular AMEX cards, will all the points go into one account if she is a secondary card holder? Or do we need to open two separate accounts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
I want to churn the AAdvantage Platinum card, but now you won't get approved for a card if you have opened or closed the card in the last 18 months.

So would this plan be the best churn option?

Today: Apply for card 1
18m: Apply for card 2
19-23: months: Close card 1
18m from ^: Apply for card 3
19-23 from ^: Close card 2

etc...

Or am I missing something?