Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

voltcatfish posted:

Oh: if I already own MH4U and love it, is it worth throwing :10bux: at Toukiden Kiwami?

It seems to have the rep of being the best MH ripoff?

It's MH but faster paced and less flower collecting but it's still the same sort of thing so it depends if you're burned out on hunting games or not

It's also hunting games distilled down to virtually nothing but killing big monsters, so if you like the surrounding fluff of an actual MH it might get a bit dull.

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Feb 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
The best Not-Monster-Hunter remains Soul Sacrifice Delta

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

God Eater?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Is SSD even considered a hunting game? It seemed more like an arena battler from what I played.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Yeah, I wouldn't really call it a hunting game either. It's good, though.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Stux posted:

im both chies

Because you're twice as terrible as the other Games posters....like Chie is twice as terrible as everyone else?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Wamdoodle posted:

Because you're twice as terrible as the other Games posters....like Chie is twice as terrible as everyone else?

what the gently caress

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Sakurazuka posted:

It's MH but faster paced and less flower collecting but it's still the same sort of thing so it depends if you're burned out on hunting games or not

It's also hunting games distilled down to virtually nothing but killing big monsters, so if you like the surrounding fluff of an actual MH it might get a bit dull.

Does Toukiden have cool looking bosses

Wamdoodle posted:

gently caress off troll

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Baal posted:

On my phone so posting pictures is a pain but I thought they were pretty interesting, mostly demon looking things. I wish they'd managed to make them work without just growing phantom limbs after you'd broken them off though. The biggest problem is there's not really enough and it eventually gets fairly repetitious (it's an Omega Force game so).

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!

Wamdoodle posted:

u've picked the wrong thread to air out this horrific opnion scum

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Midjack posted:

what the gently caress

Baal posted:

gently caress off troll

Lol. I'm kidding. Chie is cool and good.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Erg posted:

I don't have a problem with Cyber Sleuth's translation as much as a weird decision they made. The protagonist is silent and speaks in punctuation, but only if other characters are around. If they're by themself, they speak in full sentences just fine. It's so odd and really stands out to me.
And they're voiced, but only when yelling at their Digimon. It's the weirdest virtual autism I've seen in some time

voltcatfish posted:

Oh: if I already own MH4U and love it, is it worth throwing :10bux: at Toukiden Kiwami?

It seems to have the rep of being the best MH ripoff?
The online seems to be nearly dead by now, so if you're not dragging a friend along that may factor into your choice

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I put like 30 hours in to Kiwami without touching online

The AI companions were better at the game than I was :negative:

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

Recommended by 10 out of 10 Aragami

Yeah, the AI is way too good in Kiwami. They will keep the oni in lockdown for an eternity while destroying every single part.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Isn't Toukiden 2 open world and all this cool stuff?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah, I'm really looking forwards to it.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I'm not a big fan of the Monster Hunter type games and all but I'm interested in Toukiden 2.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Are the characters from P4 in P2, as well? What about other games? Same locations? Or is it just one of those things where Chie is just in the games.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Waltzing Along posted:

Are the characters from P4 in P2, as well? What about other games? Same locations? Or is it just one of those things where Chie is just in the games.

i'm kinda confused about what you're asking, but persona 2 is two games about this person

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
She could've just worn a single question mark and drawn out roughly the same reaction from the audience.

Mithaldu fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Feb 14, 2016

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Mithaldu posted:

She could've just worn a single question mark and drawn out roughly the same reaction from the audience.

maya is cool, fool

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

The Colonel posted:

i'm kinda confused about what you're asking, but persona 2 is two games about this person

Read through the comments on the previous page.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Waltzing Along posted:

Read through the comments on the previous page.

i mean, i was aware of the bootleg persona 2 thing, but the way you phrased it kind of confused me on whether you were talking about that or what

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Miku sings a song about the Vita:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HinT8DXYdDk

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Couple of noob questions about SSD.

1. Is there any way to tell how much health an enemy has?
2. Is there any way to tell how many charges a spell has and how do I recharge one in battle.
3. Can someone explain the meter in the top left? I know it relates to save/sacrifice but I'm not sure what it does
4. Does the game open up and start giving you more than one thing to do after a while? I just got to the part where you kill your partner.

Thanks

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

NESguerilla posted:

1. Is there any way to tell how much health an enemy has?
2. Is there any way to tell how many charges a spell has and how do I recharge one in battle.
3. Can someone explain the meter in the top left? I know it relates to save/sacrifice but I'm not sure what it does
4. Does the game open up and start giving you more than one thing to do after a while? I just got to the part where you kill your partner.

Thanks

1. you only get the approximate idea from hitting down and the color of the outline
2. you can check before starting a mission. Arm Yourself, offerings, they'll have a number of casts. In battle, you can only tell if it's about to break - it flashes at 1-2 uses left. There are recharge points, and depending on your faction Save/Sacrifice/Fate will recharge your offerings.
3. you have 2 levels, Life (blue) and Magic (Red). If you have more Life levels than Magic levels, your arm is a Divine Arm and tends to power up healing spells/give you more HP. If you have more Magic levels than Life levels, you have a Dark Arm and that makes your attack magic stronger. The bars on the sides are "how much XP of type to next level" and the main circle in the middle is "relative levels".
4. you're basically done with the tutorial part. it'll open up a few categories of quest. i don't remember exactly when the non story missions open up though.

LibrarianCroaker fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Feb 15, 2016

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
http://forum.nichegamer.com/threads/undead-darlings-campaign.355/page-2#post-13248

Here's an interview with Nick Doerr, the guy who translated all the mainline Neptunia games except Rebirth 1. It has some pretty interesting stuff about the development, and how he was actually asked to come back because of the sheer amount of changes to characters in Rebirth 1.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Dehry posted:

http://forum.nichegamer.com/threads/undead-darlings-campaign.355/page-2#post-13248

Here's an interview with Nick Doerr, the guy who translated all the mainline Neptunia games except Rebirth 1. It has some pretty interesting stuff about the development, and how he was actually asked to come back because of the sheer amount of changes to characters in Rebirth 1.

From this article I learned that someone fan translated a Neptunia game because I guess being able to understand the jokes instead of "translator's note: this obscure Japanese meme is from this forum you will never be able to read. Hope you enjoyed having this joke explained to you" is undesirable to people.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

quote:

Now that we've entered a dark age of censorship masquerading as localization, is there any hope at all for people who just want to play games in a language they understand without any further changes?

:laffo:

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

First they came for the waifu petting...

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
I sometimes wonder how bad the howling would be if the internet was prevalent in the 80s considering Nintendo's censorship sprees.

I also don't understand people bitching about not-literal translations. Sometimes you have to compromise and sometimes things just don't translate well. But no, I need every lovely obscure 2chan meme in place so 5 people can laugh at it compared to the thousands or more who don't get it or think it's some weird translation hiccup.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

on the other hand there are some translations that are worth criticizing and i dont think boiling it down to that is really smart

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

oh ffs

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy

DEX Coming to vita.... it's been a slow week-end.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

NESguerilla posted:

FYI when you start doing Sorcerous Deeds and get introduced to the factions, you need to do the first few faction quests in the order they become available. This confused me for a while because I wanted to get going on Avalon quests and it wouldn't let me.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Dark Age of Censorship.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Schrodingers cat posted:

DEX Coming to vita.... it's been a slow week-end.

More cyberpunk is always welcome! This looks kinda neat.

Endorph posted:

on the other hand there are some translations that are worth criticizing and i dont think boiling it down to that is really smart

It's not an either/or but the notion that censorship with localization thing is some new terrible thing is naive and silly. Overall, I think the industry is a lot better about it than they used to be. NoA in particular has mostly kept censorship to the sexualization of underaged girls, which is a smart localization shift.

bloodychill fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Feb 15, 2016

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.

Endorph posted:

Oh sure some translations are garbage (haven't played it but SAO's apparently sucks, .hack back in the day [http://legendsoflocalization.com/qa-these-are-supposed-to-be-jokes-right/], working designs if you hate punched up translations) but there's a line between a bad translation and 'we didn't word for word translate a foreign joke/pun/meme and replaced it with something along those lines to keep the general idea of the scene'

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Have you played the neptunia games? People complaining about the localization there complained not because it wasn't 1:1, but because they did, figuratively, stuff like:

"Hi." => "Howdy pardna! How're ya on this fine day here?!"

And they did it all over the game, relentlessly.

He did explain now why that is (they didn't know what gets voiced and what doesn't, so they over-injected personality into every line to be on the safe side), but holy hell it is absolutely jarring when you play with english text and japanese audio and you have two entirely different things going on.

Also, now that you mention SAO. The original translation (after patch) was entirely usable, and mainly bad due to being awkward and having bad grammar/orthography. However the retranslation also sucks, because, while it may have perfect grammar/orthography, it changed the characters from "bunch of ordinary people stuck in a J-MMO" to "actual hardcore LARPers larping it up in the middle ages".

Just as there's many ways to cook a chicken, there's many ways to get a translation wrong, even when done with the best intentions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Mithaldu posted:

Also, now that you mention SAO. The original translation (after patch) was entirely usable, and mainly bad due to being awkward and having bad grammar/orthography. However the retranslation also sucks, because, while it may have perfect grammar/orthography, it changed the characters from "bunch of ordinary people stuck in a J-MMO" to "actual hardcore LARPers larping it up in the middle ages".

Just as there's many ways to cook a chicken, there's many ways to get a translation wrong, even when done with the best intentions.

Wasn't SAO's original translation basically machine-done with a little editing here and there? It seems like anything could be an improvement to that.