Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

I sense someone talking about... GUNDAM!

notZaar posted:

None of those games have good combat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

notZaar posted:

Well, I guess that's an opinion one can have.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
A Berserk game by Platinum would certainly be nice. And one guy who works at Platinum once said that hypothetically making a Berserk game would be cool, and then everyone on the internet freaked out and assumed that meant it was happening. It wasn't even Kamiya, the director of the company.

Franz von Dada
Feb 10, 2014

A Boy and His Parasite
A lot of people like the idea of a FromSoft Berserk game, but I'd say the combat in those is too slow for Guts.

Platinum would probably handle the combat better, but they'd have to tone down their usual silliness and I don't think they're able to do that.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Platinum are too busy making games based on 80/90's US cartoons at the moment anyway.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
I like the Souls games, but the combat in them is deliberately bad in order to encourage careful play. The animation lock alone would sink any traditional brawler. I think a good game based on the Berserk license should play more like Devil May Cry, with a fast paced and interesting mechanics that build off each other.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Severance is the closest thing to a Berserk game.

DMC is way too fast imo. I never got on with it because it was about hitting enemies loads of times rather than once, definitively, with a huge weapon.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

notZaar posted:

I like the Souls games, but the combat in them is deliberately bad in order to encourage careful play.
Do you mean "deliberately slow"? Because if it accomplishes its goals, I don't see how you can call it "bad".

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I wouldn't even call it slow, 'precise' is a better word. Especially for Bloodborne, which is anything but slow.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Combat closer to non-small weapons in monster hunter should be ok too. They still feel heavy and powerful but you can do all kinds of techniques if you have the proper timing.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

So guys, is this the manga version of A Song of Ice and Fire? :getin:

Cake Attack posted:

No, Berserk is good

:negative:

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Feb 11, 2016

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

No, Berserk is good

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

GreenBuckanneer posted:

So guys, is this the manga version of A Song of Ice and Fire? :getin:

No, that's HunterXHunter

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

notZaar posted:

I like the Souls games, but the combat in them is deliberately bad in order to encourage careful play. The animation lock alone would sink any traditional brawler. I think a good game based on the Berserk license should play more like Devil May Cry, with a fast paced and interesting mechanics that build off each other.

gamers are the worst

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

The combat in Dark Souls is very, very good.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I love Berserk and I love Platinum's games, but when I think of Guts' fighting style the phrase "SSS-Rank 50+ Hit combo" doesn't come to mind

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon

Butt Ghost posted:

The combat in Dark Souls is very, very good.

This.

Not fitting for a Berserk game, though.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Man with Hat posted:

This.

Not fitting for a Berserk game, though.

Big weighty swings with a sword the size of a dinner table sound perfect for Berserk.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

dis astranagant posted:

Big weighty swings with a sword the size of a dinner table sound perfect for Berserk.

But only if you jump around like a ferret in crack. Hiding behind a shield is very not Berserk.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Speaking of Berserk games, Kornel Kisielewicz was on Roguelike Radio not too long ago and it sounded like he was hoping to update the Berserk roguelike again at some point. So that'd be cool.
(the game's at https://sourceforge.net/projects/berserkrl/ BTW)

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

notZaar posted:

None of those games have good combat, though they nail the atmosphere of a world similar to Berserk.

lol dumbass

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

genericnick posted:

But only if you jump around like a ferret in crack. Hiding behind a shield is very not Berserk.

ya.....bloodborne.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

notZaar posted:

:what:

Cautiously optimistic about a new TV series, but then I remember what happened the last time I felt this way. :(

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
So I found this old C. J. Cherryh book, and look who's on the cover. (warning enormous image)

Separated at birth?

Pleiades
Aug 20, 2006
Yea, I've seen that too and honestly, it sounds like it's worth a read.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
fires of azeroth huh....

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Just play the Dreamcast game you losers.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Sakurazuka posted:

Platinum are too busy making games based on 80/90's US cartoons at the moment anyway.

Looking forward to the Captain Planet game being announced.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
https://www.tumblr.com/video_file/110522825248/tumblr_njhjarMNH01u613vw

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZO89Zo0DW4
There was a PS2 game.
Haven't played it so dunno if it's good but it looks decent and the sword makes a good sound.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.
It was slow and grindy and perfectly Berserk. Sometimes did a very decent job of finding a middle ground in conveying Guts' strength and speed as well as how impossibly unwieldy the dragon slayer is.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

freelop posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZO89Zo0DW4
There was a PS2 game.
Haven't played it so dunno if it's good but it looks decent and the sword makes a good sound.

The villain's name is Balzac.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

That was the Dreamcast game

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Do not dis-honor the Balzac.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honor%C3%A9_de_Balzac

Vedius Pollio
Sep 11, 2007

So they released the cast and staff for the new anime.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2016-03-22/new-berserk-tv-anime-cast-staff-july-premiere-unveiled/.100100

It's kind of a mixed bag. The staff seems pretty mediocre. On the other hand, it sounds like they're animating the whole conviction arc!

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Vedius Pollio posted:

So they released the cast and staff for the new anime.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2016-03-22/new-berserk-tv-anime-cast-staff-july-premiere-unveiled/.100100

It's kind of a mixed bag. The staff seems pretty mediocre. On the other hand, it sounds like they're animating the whole conviction arc!

most of the staff being known for comedy is a bit weird but Itagaki has at least been good doing that. Having Sagisu back to do music with an insert song by Hirasawa Susumu is great though. didn't care to look into the VAs.

.Clash
Apr 10, 2009
The Teekyu director. Amazing.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

There is some good news out of all of this, aside from a new teaser image - Miura himself will be an executive supervisor for the series, which is a likely explanation for the hiatus. Makes me wonder if he was irritated by how the films turned out?

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/daily-briefs/2016-03-25/berserk-tv-anime-new-key-visual-revealed/.100247

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.
Sweet I needed more Susumu Hirasawa showtunes in my life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.
There's a fancy new trailer.

Looks like they might have a new shader going on that mitigates the PlayStation 2 quality of it all a bit. The brief shot of Farnese's group shows that they're not afraid to use a bit of color either, which is nice as most adaptations have gone for fairly drab color schemes.