Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

"let's take this somewhere private" can't be gotten by doing 1v1s and suiciding to heat four times. Do they have to be full matches? I"m not allowed to join a clan for another two days so that's gonna be rough.

I want that hula girl.

e: it showed up after my next real game.

Krinkle fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Feb 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Spades posted:

Stalker or King Crab? I'm liking the little kid bambambam from the Trial crab, but I hear the Stalker's pretty good too.

Still waiting for a GIRL invite - game name is Slobbergoat.

The king crab looks cool and is fun to play, but frustrating because of easy to hit hitboxes and really low arms. The meta right now is large laser focused, the stalker is just flat out better and because of hit boxes and weapon arm height on the crab always probably will be. The Battlemaster has better quirks for the same builds the stalker makes and can hill hump just as well, and is not dead meat to roaming lights like the stalker is. The rhino stalker is an awesome build that the battlemaster can't do (4 SRM6+A and 6 medium lasers), but it's of questionable viability with the meta swinging back to large laser sniping.

grissenko posted:

So, is the AMS working at all anymore? I've been running it on my Wolfhound and I get completely wrecked by LRMs...

One AMS vs. a pubbie firing 2x lrm15 or being shot by more than one person at once is not going to help a light mech avoid much damage. Just break down and buy cheetahs they are basically immune to LRM.

If you just love the wolfhound that much for some reason then get target deprivation and never worry about it ever again.

Washout fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Feb 13, 2016

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Spades posted:

Stalker or King Crab? I'm liking the little kid bambambam from the Trial crab, but I hear the Stalker's pretty good too.

Still waiting for a GIRL invite - game name is Slobbergoat.

inviting now!

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
Is the Urbanmech legitimately good?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Krinkle posted:

"let's take this somewhere private" can't be gotten by doing 1v1s and suiciding to heat four times. Do they have to be full matches? I"m not allowed to join a clan for another two days so that's gonna be rough.

I want that hula girl.

Has to be at least 4 people to count IIRC. Jump on mumble and let people know you need private matches and I'm sure you'll find another 3 willing to help.

I suggest using trial Adders in Terra Therma.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Farecoal posted:

No, it's just fun. 100kph is not enough speed to survive in a light, and it can't mount any good builds because it has so few hardpoints. At best you can do 4 mpl. Or 2 ml and 1 lpl. It needs some amazing quirks to be good.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

PoptartsNinja posted:

Has to be at least 4 people to count IIRC. Jump on mumble and let people know you need private matches and I'm sure you'll find another 3 willing to help.

I suggest using trial Adders in Terra Therma.

It showed up after the next real match. 1v1s race to heat death is fine!

e: But what does score of 150 mean on all these achievements? Do 150 damage to something? Get 150 experience? Where's the match score? It can only ever be 12:0 so I don't know what they mean.

Krinkle fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Feb 13, 2016

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Washout posted:

No, it's just fun. 100kph is not enough speed to survive in a light, and it can't mount any good builds because it has so few hardpoints. At best you can do 4 mpl. Or 2 ml and 1 lpl. It needs some amazing quirks to be good.

50% cool down to ballistics and slap an ac20 on one would be funny

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Krinkle posted:

It showed up after the next real match. 1v1s race to heat death is fine!

e: But what does score of 150 mean on all these achievements? Do 150 damage to something? Get 150 experience? Where's the match score? It can only ever be 12:0 so I don't know what they mean.

Match score is on the score sheet at the end of every match.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

I've been specifically looking for the words "match score" to be huge and definitive is it in the pulldown menu of "components shot off" "times you sat on an objective" "ps. match score was x"?

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/KuecfRvsElE/maxresdefault.jpg

Match score is just to the right of the status column with all the red deads in it. You get to this screen by pressing team stats up top there.

A Curvy Goonette
Jul 3, 2007

"Anyone who enjoys MWO is a shitty player. You have to hate it in order to be pro like me."

I'm actually just very good at curb stomping randoms on a team. :ssh:

Endbuster posted:

I was talking more about the arms that had the +4/-4 cooldown/duration stuff, also the A pod is fine for certain builds... But I guess you don't know those, or care to learn about them. AND what kind of idiot just lets the enemy peg their torso. Probably one that runs the A torso and tries to brawl... The point is, the the mech is going to get better and its already very very good. If you wanted both arms to boat lasers, you were taking a big hit to laser duration, which sucked.

Whatever works for you kid.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
Did they say anything about making capturing worth your time?
Right now its basically taking one for the team because youre gimping yourself out of rewards...

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Washout posted:

2 LL in a 180 standard build is doable, so long as you shield that side, which an urbanmech can very easily do.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

ZenVulgarity posted:

50% cool down to ballistics and slap an ac20 on one would be funny

Even if it had that it can only go 35kph with 3 tons of ammo with an AC20. If It got a generic 50% cooldown quirk then maybe it could work with 3 ML and an AC10, that would actually be unique and cool.

Washout fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Feb 13, 2016

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

Banano posted:

19 are you willing to turn over your customer database to me so that i may fulfill my dream of murdering every single pubbie with my bare hands?

We don't collect or store and personally identifying info that would help with this so even if I were willing to it would be useless to you.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Washout posted:

Uh all the Urbanmechs can fit dual LPL though?

Farecoal posted:

It's real damned loving durable for a light and the 360 torso twist is extremely handy. You basically function as a small striker that hangs behind the line and shoots between the larger mechs with relative impunity because you're so small. Expect to drop around 7mill on fitting the first one (XL180, Endo, DHS). Ferro is optional unless you want to rock dual LPL. I use 2xLL on mine and get 400+ damage games provided I don't get focused immediately.

Bolow fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Feb 13, 2016

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Bolow posted:

Uh all the Urbanmechs can fit dual LPL though?

2 LPL with an 180 XL or 2 LL with a standard engine. The builds are almost identical otherwise.

Endbuster
Jan 7, 2013

There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.

A Curvy Goonette posted:

Whatever works for you kid.

Thanks granpa. Tell you grandaughter I won't be calling her tomorrow on Valentines. It was a one time thing.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Did they say anything about making capturing worth your time?
Right now its basically taking one for the team because youre gimping yourself out of rewards...

Well you do get a little c-bill for capping. I uh... Guess that's something? :toot:

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Hey 19, any chance Russ is going to have a real ban wave? It really is starting to look like he was lying his rear end off about the last one. A group of us were playing CW las night and people aren't even being subtle about cheating now.

Spades
Sep 18, 2011

Pattonesque posted:

inviting now!

Cool - The unit invite says I'd be joining FFR, is that correct? I have broken my merc contract but it might take a while for that to take effect, apparently

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien
You know, If we were a real space mercenary force of giant robot pilots, I think we would be super good at it

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Spades posted:

Cool - The unit invite says I'd be joining FFR, is that correct? I have broken my merc contract but it might take a while for that to take effect, apparently

It is, but we'll be going Ghost Panda tonight.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

Tujague posted:

You know, If we were a real space mercenary force of giant robot pilots, I think we would be super good at it

Really good at not dying when a robot smashes our houses because we'd be in the basement?

teepo
Oct 14, 2004

yospos

Endbuster posted:

Are you someone that only uses metamechs builds and is incapable of theorycrafting your own stuff? Sounds like your stuck in the past man.

The point is, that's all gonna change. Timberwolf is still the highest average damage mech for me at 600 dmg per game average. Those horrible modules with great hardpoint layouts? You can stack them now. Its gonna b gud.

you have no idea how spot on you are

KlavoHunter
Aug 4, 2006
"Intelligence indicates that our enemy is using giant cathedral ships. Research divison reports that we can adapt this technology for our use. Begin researching giant cathedral ships immediately."
Hey, hey you, the jerk in the Rhino Stalker that just suicide charged in and took out my Timber Wolf in three alpha strikes. gently caress you. :argh:

KlavoHunter fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Feb 14, 2016

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
Will the IIC Jenners be as good as they look?
I think about getting those next, but i dont wanna blow roundabout 20 mill for poo poo mechs.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Will the IIC Jenners be as good as they look?
I think about getting those next, but i dont wanna blow roundabout 20 mill for poo poo mechs.

the missile one and the one you get from preordering are p. good. not as good as the Oxide or SPL Cheetah

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

When I spectate people after dying they're doing cool things like pointing their arms different directions than their faces. I found the button that should do it, shift, but as I hold it down yeah they separate but they come right back together while this guy held it a nice long time so those missiles went over that hill and he protected his core by not facing where he wanted the missiles to go. How do I split and hold it like him?

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Krinkle posted:

When I spectate people after dying they're doing cool things like pointing their arms different directions than their faces. I found the button that should do it, shift, but as I hold it down yeah they separate but they come right back together while this guy held it a nice long time so those missiles went over that hill and he protected his core by not facing where he wanted the missiles to go. How do I split and hold it like him?

Turn off arm lock in the options.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Krinkle posted:

Turn arm lock off in the options, and set shift to toggle arm lock, not shift-hold to change it, much easier to deal with.

To keep the torso from following the arms, hold down ctrl, you can aim way off center in mechs with lower arm actuators.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

KlavoHunter posted:

Hey, hey you, the jerk in the Rhino Stalker that just suicide charged in and took out my Timber Wolf in three alpha strikes. gently caress you. :argh:

This is always me (the Stalker), I am bad at this game

just ask anyone who plays this game during Australian hours

That Gobbo
Mar 27, 2010
Picked up a Nova in anticipation of the flamer change. Takes a bit to get a decent run, but man this thing just loving chews poo poo up when it's working.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

Astroniomix posted:

Turn off arm lock in the options.

and to expand upon this, bind left shift as a toggle instead

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Also, I don't know about you guys, but I bound "throttle 100%" to the E key so I could just punch it and roll out. That's also how I found out that bringing up the map or battlegrid or opening a text box sometimes cuts your throttle to zero and sometimes doesn't, so you never know if your mech is going to keep marching while you chat or spy the route :pgi: :pgi: :pgi: :tali: :weedass: :wtc: :iiam:

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
I had a hankering for a mech game and started playing this today. What should I buy after a Stormcrow Prime? Light mechs look fun, should I get a Firestarter and a Jenner to go really fast?

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

Twerk from Home posted:

I had a hankering for a mech game and started playing this today. What should I buy after a Stormcrow Prime? Light mechs look fun, should I get a Firestarter and a Jenner to go really fast?

Arctic Cheetah with ECM is usually the light of choice with all SPL. Firestarters are cheaper, but have the XL engine to worry about.

Endbuster
Jan 7, 2013

There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.

Twerk from Home posted:

Arctic Cheetah is king of lights. Lots of trial mechs for you to dork around with so you learn what you don't like. Something really good may be snoring to play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.

Twerk from Home posted:

:spiderguy:

I've got mastery on three out of four Spiders and I'm gonna keep using them after I start and finish the fourth one. If you just want to go fast and have fun I don't think you can do better than these. Even the SDR-5V, supposedly the worst one, will run at 162.5 km/h and have five jumpjets worth of leaping while armed with an LPL with 30% duration/cooldown and 30% 10% (:argh:) range. One has ECM, another can carry an ERLL with four machine guns, and the hero version looks terrible but is surprisingly viable with practice. The Oxide may hit like a truck and Firestarters/Arctic Cheetahs are meta as gently caress, but none of them can move like a Spider.

edit: wait poo poo you're new, get one of other lights. I can get 500-600 damage out of the Spider but for the same effort I'd probably rock 800-1000+ with the others. You need to be really familiar with the map and how other mechs move before you can begin to weaponize a robot whose entire life is exploiting mobility, and even then an Arctic Cheetah will weaponize it more. But if you ever want something that can run down a fleeing Cheetah, give it a shot.

Sard fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Feb 14, 2016

• Locked thread