Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

UberJew posted:

Codex are impacted by bluescreen and I enjoy having my answer to them be 'just shoot them with the sniper, problem solved' (though if you'd rather not use that ammo then EMP bombs will also oneshot them)

Bluescreen rounds work on Codex? Weird, they count as organic for most other things including mind control.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Speedball posted:

Bluescreen rounds work on Codex? Weird, they count as organic for most other things including mind control.

They are cyber-bodies with what look like meat brains in the codex brain pickup, so that's why I suspect

either that or it's a bug, but you can oneshot them with bluescreen snipers and emp all day every day

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Fangz posted:

Yellow move, not blue move. And again you're requiring the other character do a main gun shot, thus requiring two character turns. Instead of just happening to clip the Codex in the process of grenading a whole horde of other enemies, or face-offing a pack.

The whole point of allowing the Codex to clone and dealing with the clones with reaper is that you save yourself from dedicating actions specifically to taking out the Codex. If you have another character that *can* shoot the Codex, why not just shoot the dude with a rapid fire shot or a fan fire shot?

I mean the way you do it, assuming that somehow all your pistol shots hit, you end up with a dead codex and a pistol shot on everyone. Do it with Face-off -> reaper, and you end up with a dead codex, a pistol shot on everyone, and a ranger with one action left if the codexes were a yellow move apart, two actions left if the codexes with a blue move apart.

But...you're dedicating the Reaper guy's turn to taking out the Codex. Either way you're spending a guy's turn to kill the Codex. The odds that a reaper guy will be able to yellow move to a codex and slash it, blue move(because reaper only gives 1 AP) to a clone and slash it, blue move to any other clones that happened to form if you hit more than one codex and slash them, and then still have enough movement to get somewhere to cut someone else aren't super high. You're also not wasting a sharpshooter's turn to face off a bunch of codexes to death because they can lightning hands a guy, single pistol shot a guy, then face off to clean up.

I guess I never had to do logic puzzles in my head to kill Codexes. Every other class always solved the problem of accidental Codex splits for me without an issue without having to pass up rapid fire.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Kanos posted:

But...you're dedicating the Reaper guy's turn to taking out the Codex. Either way you're spending a guy's turn to kill the Codex. The odds that a reaper guy will be able to yellow move to a codex and slash it, blue move(because reaper only gives 1 AP) to a clone and slash it, blue move to any other clones that happened to form if you hit more than one codex and slash them, and then still have enough movement to get somewhere to cut someone else aren't super high. You're also not wasting a sharpshooter's turn to face off a bunch of codexes to death because they can lightning hands a guy, single pistol shot a guy, then face off to clean up.

I guess I never had to do logic puzzles in my head to kill Codexes. Every other class always solved the problem of accidental Codex splits for me without an issue without having to pass up rapid fire.

The first kill procs implacable, so the Reaper guy gets back to 2 AP after the first kill. The +1 AP Reaper gives you per kill can be used for any purpose, including shotgun attacks. You aren't dedicating the ranger's turn to killing the Codex at all.

EDIT: VVV It's also amazing for Reaper rangers for obvious reasons.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Feb 13, 2016

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

RBA Starblade posted:

Wait hold on. Grappling doesn't take an action anymore? Hot drat!

It's amazing for snipers, especially in urban areas. There's almost always a building close enough to start a height-advantage Killzone+grenade podkill on the first turn.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
My best ranger got Chain Shot from the AWC, so I picked Reaper as his capstone ability. Reaper (along with Bladestorm) was really clutch in a few situations but I still wish that swords were some combination of more accurate and more damaging.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
If a character dies at on the square adjacent to the only ladder up to the tree fort watch tower she was in, good luck going up there to get them! gently caress this game.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
You know, I'm starting to wonder if, somehow there isn't actually a way to increase that starting pool of rookies beyond 8. I don't see any mods doing it, and the only thing I can find in the file actually increases the number of recruitable rookies in the "Recruit" tab, not your actual starting roster.

I just want to be free of that drat "not enough soldiers for a full squad" warning after the first mission when 3 soldiers get hurt :negative:

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

The Little Kielbasa posted:

Would kill for a mod that eliminated about 90% of the geoscape, God is that a piece of crap. Much worse than EU/EW, and it was the worst part of those games too.

The actual killing aliens part is awesome as gently caress though, despite the occasional shot through walls.
Geoscape in XCOM2 is infinitely more fun to play. It only needs to inundate you with more poo poo to make it actually challenging though. There have been a few times where the whole board is clear even when I have taken a whole continent so all I can do is sit at home and get some bonus intel for a bit until something pops.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Apoplexy posted:

A reminder: The no-miss sword mod exists and is next to mandatory.
Yeah, I have a swords rebalance mod that makes them stronger and even gives the end tier swords a little armor piercing, and frankly I don't care how much people like Fangz say I'm making them overpowered because if I sink every perk into swords on a guy I want those swords to kick rear end. :colbert:

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

The Tier-3 sword having armor piercing on it at least makes sense. It's a plasma blade.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Lunethex posted:

The truth is out there.

VAHLEN LIVES

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Zomborgon posted:

It's amazing for snipers, especially in urban areas. There's almost always a building close enough to start a height-advantage Killzone+grenade podkill on the first turn.

My sniper finally Got Gud. I'm proud of him.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Chryssalids are the loving worst. I don't even care that they attack on my turn and put permanent poison on my soldiers that kills them and turns them into chryssalids. That's perfectly fine and I don't mind it one bit.

But do they really have to aimlessly move around the map in the fog of war, forcing me to slowly blue move/overwatch around the map for like 10 turns after everything else is dead? Jesus christ, just loving attack me.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Somehow I've managed to get in some sort of strange rhythm with missions where they happen in clusters with like three weeks of uninterrupted scanning in between. Avatar Project fills up, gotta go counter it. Immediate guerrilla ops. And then a council mission like a day later. On the bright side, this means that I'm starting to level up soldiers outside of my A-team because I'm usually having to send one or two people to the med bay each mission, but still.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Like there was ever any doubt.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

I really don't get why armor doesn't stop wounds by default. Perhaps it's to try and encourage squad rotation, but it just makes armor seem less worth the cost.

Good on the modder for fixing that.

Imps
Feb 16, 2011

Welp, that was a hell of a ride.

RIP Deadlock "That flaming car looks like a good place to take panic cover."
RIP Candyman "Yeah, that Sectopod is stunned for one more turn."

About 110 of those aliens were killed by my best sniper "Big Shot" who almost bled out as I completed the final mission. It's a terribly grueling mission, I was about two turns from being overrun.

After getting psionics late in the game this time around, I think I might try to rush it on the next one. Domination, stasis, null lance... They're all so awesome.

Imps fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Feb 13, 2016

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Gunder posted:

Is there a way of preventing the Andromedon second stage stuff?

Haywire protocol

Mymla posted:

Chryssalids are the loving worst. I don't even care that they attack on my turn and put permanent poison on my soldiers that kills them and turns them into chryssalids. That's perfectly fine and I don't mind it one bit.

But do they really have to aimlessly move around the map in the fog of war, forcing me to slowly blue move/overwatch around the map for like 10 turns after everything else is dead? Jesus christ, just loving attack me.

Battle scanners will cause them to unburrow (as well as reveal faceless). Mimic beacons will also cause them to unburrow and waste an attack

Away all Goats fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Feb 13, 2016

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
I suffered a real world casualty due to XCOM.

I ran up to the gatekeeper and killed him with a grenadier. When he exploded the magnetic gatling gun sound got stuck on.

The next time a grenadier fired the two sounds constructively added.

RIP 1 speaker. Thanks Jake.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Its your fault. Xcom 2 should of taught you that speakers can't be trusted.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Is this mod reliable? It seems like most mods more complex than adding a new flag or tweaking an INI stat have some problems people didn't notice at first that end up breaking campaigns.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

does anyone know if the 2 rookies who die in the tutorial count against the no one dying achievement?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Vib Rib posted:

Yeah, I have a swords rebalance mod that makes them stronger and even gives the end tier swords a little armor piercing, and frankly I don't care how much people like Fangz say I'm making them overpowered because if I sink every perk into swords on a guy I want those swords to kick rear end. :colbert:

I dug into the .inis to tweak them a little bit. Added 1 damage to the Arc Blade and Fusion Blade each, 1 AP to both, and 1 Armor Shred to the Fusion Blade. Not a huge buff, but it makes a difference. It's made up for because if I'm getting dudes close enough to be using swords they're always going to be at more risk than anyone else.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
Are we going to see a fix for vipers being able to pull dudes through full cover or should I just try to get a refund

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Internet Kraken posted:

Its your fault. Xcom 2 should of taught you that speakers can't be trusted.

I'm a little sad that you never get to fight the Speaker. He's clearly a Thin Man, they could have just reused all those old animations and let us take bloody revenge for all the rookies killed through full cover.

Number 1 Sexy Dad posted:

Are we going to see a fix for vipers being able to pull dudes through full cover or should I just try to get a refund

Working as intended? That's what it's for, to pull you out of cover. It has a decent chance to whiff, too.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

If full cover made your guys immune to the aliens' tricks, this game would be entirely too easy. Learn to handle it.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Playing multiplayer made me realize how lovely the Viper's tongue grab actually is. The range on it is pitiful.

Vengarr posted:

I'm a little sad that you never get to fight the Speaker. He's clearly a Thin Man, they could have just reused all those old animations and let us take bloody revenge for all the rookies killed through full cover.

At least he got the poo poo beaten out of him by angry civs.

The reason you don't get to see him die is probably because he's gonna be in the sequel. The ending shows that ADVENT isn't completely gone, just heavily diminished. So he'll probably show up at some point while you're busy fighting off psi Cthulhu.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

stop being a baby

Literal Nazi Furry
Jan 27, 2008

Swastika - Helvetica - Ikea
Last night I dreamt of Adolf searching for Anne.
I lay on my back
standing alone in the corner watching the girls dance.

I'm on crystal meth.
I piss in my pants.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Nordick posted:

If full cover made your guys immune to the aliens' tricks, this game would be entirely too easy. Learn to handle it.

yeah yeah yeah, what a big man you are. everyone's very proud of you.

It seems pretty OP that an attack that moves your guy a quarter of the way across the map and usually permanently incapacitates him also happens to work through walls. Maybe if the cover were destroyed or damaged, so that it at least looked halfway logical, it would be less rage-inducing.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Doing the final mission. Is there something up with the gravity or why is the grenade launcher / grenade range like two meters?

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Hey, what do you have to do to get this cutscene? I don't think I've seen it, and I beat the game once already and am halfway through another.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

You should get a refund.

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

Anyone know if the game will use mod added part (like Capnbubs Accessories Pack) when it randomly generates troops?

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

yeah yeah yeah, what a big man you are. everyone's very proud of you.

It seems pretty OP that an attack that moves your guy a quarter of the way across the map and usually permanently incapacitates him also happens to work through walls. Maybe if the cover were destroyed or damaged, so that it at least looked halfway logical, it would be less rage-inducing.

it leaves the snake man out in the open, ready to get demolished, and your trapped shoot man gets a full turn. it's actually basically suicide for the snake man.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Foul Fowl posted:

it leaves the snake man out in the open, ready to get demolished, and your trapped shoot man gets a full turn. it's actually basically suicide for the snake man.

IDK, man I keep getting wiped out by these loving snakes. I don't understand how to kill them and I don't understand what you mean by 'your man gets a full turn' - every time I get slurped it's death in approximately one turn for the trapped shoot man.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
1) They only do 2 damage/turn, meaning you can quite happily leave them there for a turn without them dying most of the time 2) They're always out of cover when they're constricting a man so you have a 70% or better shot usually 3) Once you do hit them, your trapped man gets a full turn meaning death of snake.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

khy posted:

Anyone here use SweetFX?

I have questions.

Specifically, I wanted to try that preset that enhances clarity - Nibi's. It says "Just put the binaries and this preset file in your directory". My question is this :

I know I copy all the .dll and .fx files, do I need to copy the injector.ini file? What about the sweetfx folder, which has a shaders subfolder and poo poo that looks necessary? And the sweetfx_settings file?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
What is the use of picking up a dead soldier's body?