Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

a perfect society should have no sedition laws (and no sedition, but alas)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

FuhrerHat posted:

why shouldnt they be treated completely normally
the whole protest was even non-violent for the most part

these people deserve due process, nothing about them is extraordinary

that being said, its too bad a jury of their peers cant convict them

It was pretty violent when they crashed a road block and tried to pull out a gun.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Darth123123 posted:

It was pretty violent when they crashed a road block and tried to pull out a gun.

the one guy responsible for that is dead

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

FuhrerHat posted:

a perfect society should have no sedition laws (and no sedition, but alas)

So tell me about this midget, we are waiting for arraignment anyways.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Darth123123 posted:

So tell me about this midget, we are waiting for arraignment anyways.

my dick my right

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Cthulu Carl posted:

And Lo, did Jesus stand on the mount shouting "I have a cross at my head right now!"

And so it was that a lone legionary named Marcus strode forth and declared. "But Jesus! If thou come peacefully, thou might enjoy the warmth of our chariots!"

To which Jesus looked down upon Marcus and spoke, "Wouldst though also bring forth mine weed that I may toke of it? And wouldst thou bring forth a pizza for I am hungry."

The disciples were shocked at this. "But rabbi!" Shouted Peter. "Surely a trip to Denny's would be preferable to pizza!"

At this Jesus flew into a rage. "Do not call me rabbi! I am not a rabbi for it was the Jews who were responsible for the Second Punic War, and responsible for the Romans mutating thine bretheren with chemtrails!" And so it was Jesus did deliver his sermon to those at the foot of the hill, turning one hour into seven. And Judas did say, "My Lord, I do not believe there is anything I can sayeth to you anymore."

And so did Marcus once again step forth and spoke. "Jesus, I have talked to the Centurions and if you come with us, we shalt have our legions shout hallelujah for thee!"

lol

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

FuhrerHat posted:

Well completely normal would make more sense if they committed sensical crimes.

They won't be treated badly but they will probably do federal time for their federal crimes. Fair enough.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

that's probably totally how it happened and then the apostles just jazzed it up for the book

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

FuhrerHat posted:

Watch how quickly the bullets fly if BLM shows up to a protest armed to the teeth and publicly states they will fight to the death any attempt by the authorities to arrest them.

I'd like to believe this is law enforcement turning a new page on standoff situations but until someone besides fringe right militia types are treated the same way I can't help but believe the only reason the FBI didn't give them a "surrender or else" ultimatum within the first week (and carried through on the "or else" part) was to not give the militia movement any more ammunition.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Geoj posted:

Watch how quickly the bullets fly if BLM shows up to a protest armed to the teeth and publicly states they will fight to the death any attempt by the authorities to arrest them.

I'd like to believe this is law enforcement turning a new page on standoff situations but until someone besides fringe right militia types are treated the same way I can't help but believe the only reason the FBI didn't give them a "surrender or else" ultimatum within the first week (and carried through on the "or else" part) was to not give the militia movement any more ammunition.

I've only been following this intermittently until the final 4, is BLM "Butt Lover Man"?

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

I've only been following this intermittently until the final 4, is BLM "Butt Lover Man"?

Beareau of land management

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Cthulu Carl posted:

And Lo, did Jesus stand on the mount shouting "I have a cross at my head right now!"

And so it was that a lone legionary named Marcus strode forth and declared. "But Jesus! If thou come peacefully, thou might enjoy the warmth of our chariots!"

To which Jesus looked down upon Marcus and spoke, "Wouldst though also bring forth mine weed that I may toke of it? And wouldst thou bring forth a pizza for I am hungry."

The disciples were shocked at this. "But rabbi!" Shouted Peter. "Surely a trip to Denny's would be preferable to pizza!"

At this Jesus flew into a rage. "Do not call me rabbi! I am not a rabbi for it was the Jews who were responsible for the Second Punic War, and responsible for the Romans mutating thine bretheren with chemtrails!" And so it was Jesus did deliver his sermon to those at the foot of the hill, turning one hour into seven. And Judas did say, "My Lord, I do not believe there is anything I can sayeth to you anymore."

And so did Marcus once again step forth and spoke. "Jesus, I have talked to the Centurions and if you come with us, we shalt have our legions shout hallelujah for thee!"

And Jesus spake, "Verily will I come to you, would thou but have a cookie."

And Marcus did produce a cookie, and all sang hallelujah to the highest as Jesus entered his kingdom.

And the false prophets wept.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Raku posted:

I kept waiting for it to scroll down to a shot of space from the title crawl, and then for a long scene of a tarp hurtling through space pursued by the FBI
I love this, someone pls make a video edit so this becomes real

Cthulu Carl posted:

:captainpop:

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

It is important to not execute people like this. Just look at Anders Behring Breivik.
He killed scores of children, and within less than 2 years was whining that he was restricted to non-violent PS2 games. He's going to suicide himself in comfy Norway jail for reasons even more petty than the ones that drove him to kill 70+ people.

We need to protect people like this and let them take their ideologies to their natural conclusions.

And anyway, I think a medicated David Fry would be okay playing Rayman 2 a couple hours a day. And reading anime 'graphic novels' from the library when he wants to beat off. Or at least way better than he was before the standoff.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Cthulu Carl posted:

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Okay I've flipped on the Feds again. Taking Cliven Bundy seems to have been the final horcrux of Scalia so I will now never forgive them for not having done so in 2014, again

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
it's like the end of Dark Crystal with Scalia dying

yeah it's a happy ending but holy gently caress I'm still creeped out

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Nigmaetcetera posted:

10 to 20 years seems appropriate, not a bunch of goonish hyperbole about summary executions, black site torture, and public humiliation.

anyone who openly defies their government is something worse than an animal. they should die and forever be forgotten.

Rambling Robot
Sep 13, 2011
Duggar Fan Club Superstar #1 LOL
im not reading 217 pages of redneck lore.

so, are they all arrested or dead by now?

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

TacticalUrbanHomo posted:

anyone who openly defies their government is something worse than an animal. they should die and forever be forgotten.

Authoritarians should be imprisoned after they commit their inevitable crimes, then ridiculed for their hatred of freedom of expression until they kill themselves. If they don't kill themselves, their section of the prison should be made a part of the tour for elementary school children so they can throw empty Reese's Cups wrappers at them. If you do not believe in Liberal Democracy*, you are evil and I would kill you if I had the chance without getting caught.

*only the most American flavors of liberal democracy count.

I ain't joking, we're gods compared to you foreign freaks

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Rambling Robot posted:

All of them are in jail awaiting trial. Cliven Bundy decided he was going to fly up and take charge and got arrested too. He's facing millions in fines and I believe 60+ years in prison for the poo poo in 2014. David Fry the weird guy that livestreamed the whole thing is caro level schizo and is wearing some sort of suicide suit which is basically a rigid fabric apron to make sure he doesn't hang himself.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Rambling Robot posted:

Yes

Sound
Oct 18, 2004

theultimo posted:

Beareau of land management

black lives matter is what e meant I think

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

Rambling Robot posted:

They're all dead. Everyone's dead.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Sound posted:

black lives matter is what e meant I think

Yes, this.

We'll never know for sure though - any group of non-whites has to know it will end in a bloodbath if they try an armed standoff with the government. The last time anyone tried it the police dropped literal bombs on them.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Geoj posted:

Yes, this.

We'll never know for sure though - any group of non-whites has to know it will end in a bloodbath if they try an armed standoff with the government. The last time anyone tried it the police dropped literal bombs on them.

that wasn't even a protest of any kind. it was police raiding a housing commission to serve warrants, which resulted in the police getting shot at.

the last time brown people in america tried anything like what these guys did was the california state capitol stuff with the black panthers back in, I think, 1970. except the black panthers in that example were actually protesting something and had a real agenda besides "me and people like me should be allowed to break the law whenever we feel like it for reasons we won't try to elaborate on".

Cover my Eyes
Mar 31, 2011
Damnit, go to work for a couple days and this thread blows up. Now I have to play catch-up. :argh:

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Cover my Eyes posted:

Damnit, go to work for a couple days and this thread blows up. Now I have to play catch-up. :argh:

no you don't. the four holdouts turned themselves in after several days of talking to the FBI and, I think, some random state legislator from nevada? there were some uploads of the audio posted so find that and listen if you're interested but otherwise there's not anything particularly compelling in the last sixty or seventy pages.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
The founder of a pro-Bundy coalition of hillbillies who were organizing another bird sanctuary standoff shot and killed his cofounder because they were arguing about guns

:gizz:

Antonin Scalia is dead.

:gizz: :gizz:

God Bless America

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

that wasn't even a protest of any kind. it was police raiding a housing commission to serve warrants, which resulted in the police getting shot at.

I think you'd be hard pressed to call the Oregon situation a protest of any kind either.

The MOVE fiasco is the closest analog we have to non-whites staging an armed standoff, and while I've heard plenty of (mostly conservatives) say that the way the FBI handled Oregon is an indication the government learned its lesson from Ruby Ridge and Waco I seriously doubt anyone but white fringe-right anti-government militants would be shown this degree of patience and restraint. Anyone else would have been given hours to surrender under threat of death instead of an indefinite period of time.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Geoj posted:

I think you'd be hard pressed to call the Oregon situation a protest of any kind either.

Right, that's why I instead described it as

"me and people like me should be allowed to break the law whenever we feel like it for reasons we won't try to elaborate on".

quote:

The MOVE fiasco is the closest analog we have to non-whites staging an armed standoff

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
The Black Panthers' protest at the California State Assembly was not a standoff. They violated no laws, didn't make any absurd demands, they didn't shut down the state government or threaten to shoot law enforcement if their demands weren't met. The only similarity between the two is people with guns on government property.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Geoj posted:

The Black Panthers' protest at the California State Assembly was not a standoff. They violated no laws, didn't make any absurd demands, they didn't shut down the state government or threaten to shoot law enforcement if their demands weren't met. The only similarity between the two is people with guns on government property.

That's all true, but the local law enforcement apparently didn't see it that way since they arrested all of them. And that is the action they took, arrest, not summary execution.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

there is no way what they did should be weighed as heavily as something like murder, cmon

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

And that is the action they took, arrest, not summary execution.

Do you think the same thing would have happened if the Black Panthers had issued threats to shoot anyone opposing them, or to shut down the state assembly until their demands were met?

Also during the 60s police shootings were far more rare than they are today (law enforcement averaged about 3 per day in 2015.) It honestly wouldn't surprise me if the exact same protest carried out now resulted in summary executions of most/all of the protesters.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

lol looks like someone tooks his guns from his cold dead hands

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

VikingSkull posted:

Honestly, if I was a stupid Republican Jesus Freak, I'd be worried to...because between all of this and Trump being the nominee, it means that God hates you.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

VikingSkull posted:

This must be a video game children thing

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

Honestly, if I was a stupid Republican Jesus Freak, I'd be worried to...because between all of this and Trump being the nominee, it means that God hates you.

I'm less afraid of the apolocalypse and more afraid of people who need it to happen because they will never let the rest of us live in peace until it does

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Alan Smithee posted:

I'm less afraid of the apolocalypse and more afraid of people who need it to happen because they will never let the rest of us live in peace until it does