Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

Humboldt Squid posted:

Borr is li yong riu and has lots of res and high level gear for sale at grover terminal.

I'd be terrified to outfit my ship there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

staberind posted:

loving . gently caress. gently caress gently caressgently caressgently caressgently caress

So, the x52 is nice and mansized. however, saitek have loving chimps making their drivers and software.

gently caress

gently caress SAITEK. AT ALL COSTS. gently caress THEM. gently caress.

gently caress

Haha, Saitek is really really good at crappy drivers. My favourite is when I unplug the device, MFD file system driver starts eating about 20 % of system resources and needs to be killed manually. Mind you, it doesn't do it when joystick is plugged in, it happens immediately after unplugging. You might ask - why would a joystick even need a file system driver? Who knows! Also - my advice, remove throttle detents much more pleasant without them.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Stop buying Saitek products people. Yes they have more LEDs and things but just buy a CH joystick and never replace it.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Daztek posted:

Today I discovered docking computers, they seem pretty handy, I can't wait for it to introduce my face to a wall :allears:

They work much better than in Frontier : Elite II but we all know real pilots boost in and out of the mailslot and cut everyone in line. That Type-9 will just have to wait for his turn.

Visited "Mother Goat" and did a courier mission for the Diamond Frogs. They paid good money and one of the station food cart was selling delicious borsh.

10/10, would deliver sensitive data for them again.

Serious question : Would getting Horizon make more mission available to me ? I know i'm low rank but sometime i must fly to 1-2 stations before i find any mission available.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Humboldt Squid posted:

Borr is li yong riu and has lots of res and high level gear for sale at grover terminal.

This looks perfect, thank you. LYR discount, with federal shipyards on site and imperial ones one or two jumps away, also discounted!

aleksendr posted:

They work much better than in Frontier : Elite II but we all know real pilots boost in and out of the mailslot and cut everyone in line. That Type-9 will just have to wait for his turn.

Serious question : Would getting Horizon make more mission available to me ? I know i'm low rank but sometime i must fly to 1-2 stations before i find any mission available.

Real pilots blow through the mailslot to skip the line, then engage the docking computer because it has mystical powers to negate forward thrust. :shepface:
I think you will find better mission options available in Horizons, I almost always see surface missions on the board.

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Feb 13, 2016

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
Now that Horizons is a dlc rather than a standalone gamespansion or whatever, is the "ED or Horizons?" popup steam gives you actually the choice between 32/64 bit?

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Atrayonis posted:

Apparently you gain exploration points for driving your SRV on planets, more the farther you are away from Sol.
Just driving around and shooting space rocks netted me 1% once, but that took a while and I was only 1k lys out.

Are there any hard numbers or sources on this? I'm pretty far from home and if driving around can help me out I'll definitely do it.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Where can I shoot mans on surfaces? Like is there an RES equivalent in horizons? Im at 63 GC

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe
Okay, just doodling around looking for unidentified signal sources has got me about 260K in bounties, and I haven't spent a penny yet. How much cash should I collect before I start buying anything? I have read a dozen "beginner's guide to elite dangerous" things and none of them make any sense.

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

Buy anytime, I'd just keep enough cash on hand to cover your rebuy cost for if you get blown up. Modules sell back at 100% cost so buy whenever you want. If you didn't like what you bought you can get all your money back on it.

Ships sell back for less, 90% of their cost, modules attached to your ship sell at 90% as well, so sell them all/downgrade as much if you sell your ship.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

shadok posted:

Okay, just doodling around looking for unidentified signal sources has got me about 260K in bounties, and I haven't spent a penny yet. How much cash should I collect before I start buying anything? I have read a dozen "beginner's guide to elite dangerous" things and none of them make any sense.

That's enough to buy an Eagle and a bit of equipment, which I suggest you do if you're bounty hunting.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

BMan posted:

That's enough to buy an Eagle and a bit of equipment, which I suggest you do if you're bounty hunting.

Probably better off jumping straight into a Viper, he only needs a little over 300k for a full D spec viper + insurance and that will broadly outperform a higher spec Eagle because of the huge difference in hardpoints, shields and power distributor (3D distributor almost equal to 2A)

The cost of ships vs. modules at the very low end is kind of messed up.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Dandywalken posted:

Federal Assault Ship: Large Multicannon Edition en route :getin:

Yeah, gonna take a break from Frag FAS to mess with big multis, gonna be all like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LT9-qL_fh10

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

RabidWeasel posted:

Probably better off jumping straight into a Viper, he only needs a little over 300k for a full D spec viper + insurance and that will broadly outperform a higher spec Eagle because of the huge difference in hardpoints, shields and power distributor (3D distributor almost equal to 2A)

The cost of ships vs. modules at the very low end is kind of messed up.

OTOH the Viper is like the least fun ship in the game and the Eagle the most.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

A super loving fun alternative to the viper is the DBS. Same loadout, better hardpoint location, way better jump range, better agility, armor tank instead of shield so you can stealth it if you want to. Price is similar iirc

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

K8.0 posted:

I believe that being HELLA FAST is objectively fun hth.

Your Loyal Vizier posted:

A super loving fun alternative to the viper is the DBS. Same loadout, better hardpoint location, way better jump range, better agility, armor tank instead of shield so you can stealth it if you want to. Price is similar iirc

It's like another 400k which is a lot when you're totally new but I agree it's straight up a more fun and better ship.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

K8.0 posted:

My eagle is making this weird, two tone sound when i push the engine past 75%, like a quick "ca-chunk, ca-chunk, ca-chunk" as if the hydrogen pellet pump is cycling in burst instead of smoothly. Think i should have the station crew check it out ?

I just realized you could sell visited systems data to stellar cartography services and i'm now nearly 40k richer. For a fast, low volume mission cargo delivery ship as an upgrade to my eagle should i consider an Asp or go straight to a Viper ? Or maybe just upgrade the Eagle to B and A modules ?

I know i'm still space poor but i love how the ships upgrades pans out so far. I have been evading interdiction but i would love to log a little more combat time so whats a good way or place to go to engage easy enemy NPCs ? I have cleared all the single player training combat but i'm still unsatisfied with my time to kill when using fixed weapons. The backside of a sidewinder is annoyingly slim..

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo

aleksendr posted:

My eagle is making this weird, two tone sound when i push the engine past 75%, like a quick "ca-chunk, ca-chunk, ca-chunk" as if the hydrogen pellet pump is cycling in burst instead of smoothly. Think i should have the station crew check it out ?

Eagles have Italian reliability. My life support goes out whenever I activate my guns. Puts any armed engagement on a natural timer.

BillyJoeBob
Feb 7, 2010

Anal-retentive, overly loquacious weapons scientist.

After donating an assload to Tun and 17 Draconis I finally got a 'vette.

I managed to outfit it enough to get it back to my home system after I got it at a Yong-mart, but its still in need of a lot of parts. I can't believe how well it flies even with D rank thrusters and the two huge cannons are fun even if I don't have PAC's yet.

Time to go fly more passengers on Robigo Airlines to pay for upgrades.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Joystick talk:

I look over at my $27 Logitech Extreme 3D Pro every time I see someone flame out about Saitek or some other $$$ joystick, then I give it a gentle caress for having lasted through the last 3 years of punishment without giving up on me.

Maybe someday I'll add a CH throttle.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

BillyJoeBob posted:

After donating an assload to Tun and 17 Draconis I finally got a 'vette.

I managed to outfit it enough to get it back to my home system after I got it at a Yong-mart, but its still in need of a lot of parts. I can't believe how well it flies even with D rank thrusters and the two huge cannons are fun even if I don't have PAC's yet.

Time to go fly more passengers on Robigo Airlines to pay for upgrades.

Welcome to the Best Club, Ship. I still can't believe the brown sea thinks its bad.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I've been working entirely on imperial reputation so far but the Fed Corvette is easily the best looking ship IMO. It just has a delightfully brutal appearance.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
I'm pretty new to this game and am having a hard time figuring out missions. Should I just avoid them entirely?

- One mission asked me to find a guy who had kidnapped someone. I found him, but so did some other NPC. The NPC blew up my target and in turn I blew up the NPC awarding me a 34k bounty. That was my most successful mission thus far (despite technically failing it).

- One mission asked me to find rare artwork, but I'm not sure how. I've gone to several weak signal sites and found wine floating in space. Do I eventually find the rare artwork or do I need to go to a different kind of signal source? I think the gameplay of hunting down random spawns is pretty weak sauce.

- One mission asked me to wait in a system to be contacted. I flew around for a while but was never contacted. Not sure what I was supposed to do there.

I don't mind a certain lack of direction, but this seems silly. The missions offer no real guidance and whether or not I run into what I need seems entirely random.

Despite the headaches, I keep coming back since the game looks so great in VR.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

DeadGame posted:

I'm pretty new to this game and am having a hard time figuring out missions. Should I just avoid them entirely?

- One mission asked me to find a guy who had kidnapped someone. I found him, but so did some other NPC. The NPC blew up my target and in turn I blew up the NPC awarding me a 34k bounty. That was my most successful mission thus far (despite technically failing it).

- One mission asked me to find rare artwork, but I'm not sure how. I've gone to several weak signal sites and found wine floating in space. Do I eventually find the rare artwork or do I need to go to a different kind of signal source? I think the gameplay of hunting down random spawns is pretty weak sauce.

- One mission asked me to wait in a system to be contacted. I flew around for a while but was never contacted. Not sure what I was supposed to do there.

I don't mind a certain lack of direction, but this seems silly. The missions offer no real guidance and whether or not I run into what I need seems entirely random.

Despite the headaches, I keep coming back since the game looks so great in VR.

Someone can probably answer this better than another person new to the game like myself, but based on my little experience and reading stuff here and around the net: The first and third type of missions you listed are usually just plain broken and should be avoided. The second one might mean buying that specific rare commodity at whatever system/station sells it.

But yeah, the line I've heard is "Don't bother with any mission types besides courier, donation, bring us this commodity, and maybe assasination, type missions." I probably forgot some or don't know about them yet.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Right, I'm in a Vulture and I want to make enough money quickly to get a Python.

Res hunting?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

H13 posted:

Right, I'm in a Vulture and I want to make enough money quickly to get a Python.

Res hunting?

High intensity RES hunting yes. With 2 large pulse lasers you can hunt for hours without stopping - have something playing on another monitor and get yourself a bottle of wine, it's really relaxing. You will also make so much money.

If you really want to maximise your grind, join Zack (fed) or the Arissa Lavigny-Duval (Imp) and get to powerplay rank 2 (or more, but 2 is piss easy) in their faction. Then bounty hunt exclusively in a high intensity RES in one of their control systems.

You'll get +20% from your powerplay rank, +20% from hunting in their territory and another +20% for hunting in a control system. That's +60% to all your bounty hunting earnings which is just great.

Personally my preferred RES hunting grounds are in HIP 35246 since I joined Arissa's faction. You have everything from low intensity up to hazardous and across a few different plants too.

Head to the gas giant that's the 4th planet out. You're only ~90 LS from the nearest outpost to land at and the rings are full of extraction sites and conflict zones. Enjoy! :v:

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

The Federal Corvette looks like a little Star Destroyer, aka real cool.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
hey so i have a mission to deliver cargo to 'jasper' but no system is highlighted and jasper is not doing anything when i search for it. what is going on and how do i fix it?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

vorebane posted:

hey so i have a mission to deliver cargo to 'jasper' but no system is highlighted and jasper is not doing anything when i search for it. what is going on and how do i fix it?

Drop the mission. I don't think those ones are working reliably.

So long as the mission has a definite end point location (like an outpost or planetary base) you're fine though.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
drat i was looking forward to it i was gonna dodge pirates

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

The Adder looks adorable :3:

SuperiorColliculus
Oct 31, 2011

RabidWeasel posted:

I believe that being HELLA FAST is objectively fun hth.

Counterpoint: Eagle is objectively more fun than a viper.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

SuperiorColliculus posted:

Counterpoint: Eagle is objectively more fun than a viper.

Furthermore the Imperial Eagle is criminally under rated.

Zutaten
May 8, 2007

What the shit.

Daztek posted:

The Adder is my favourite looking ship because, paint it white and you're basically flying around in a space shuttle with slightly more maneuverability than the real space shuttle.

Hauler too. Spacevans forever.

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

Daztek posted:

I went straight from Sidewinder to Adder when I started. Spent forever in it.

Space RV explorer was my fav :3:

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Your Loyal Vizier posted:

I just bought a DBS last night after spending awhile dithering over whether or not it was a significant enough upgrade over my Viper. It was about $6m or so as specced out as I could make it, and is totally worth every penny. Jump range is super nice, but also that thing loving turns.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

kedo posted:

I just bought a DBS last night after spending awhile dithering over whether or not it was a significant enough upgrade over my Viper. It was about $6m or so as specced out as I could make it, and is totally worth every penny. Jump range is super nice, but also that thing loving turns.

The DBS and DBX are awesome ships and the Scout is the best silent runner in the game. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLXzEQyacMw

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

DancingShade posted:

If you really want to maximise your grind, join Zack (fed) or the Arissa Lavigny-Duval (Imp) and get to powerplay rank 2 (or more, but 2 is piss easy) in their faction. You'll get +20% from your powerplay rank, +20% from hunting in their territory and another +20% for hunting in a control system. That's +60% to all your bounty hunting earnings which is just great.

I don't think this is accurate. Everything I've read says that for ALD at least there's no difference in benefits between exploited and controlled systems. It only affects the system's income generation, you get her full bonuses in either place. I also read the summary of benefits from ALD entirely differently than you did... as I understand it she doubles bounties in her space, gives rank 2 followers in her space 20-50%, and doubles payouts (again!) for rank 5 followers. And that applies in exploited or controlled, despite the murky wording in-game.

I can't speak to Hudson since I'm not pledged to him to test, but as far as I can tell he only gives the x2 bonus at rank 5.

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Feb 14, 2016

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
So is Diamond Frogs the current cool kids club?
Oh and FYI: don't quit the game in your SRV, my Sidewinder vanished when I logged back in and I couldn't recall it.

Dreadwroth fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Feb 14, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
I spent over a month in a Cobra. I loved that ship! My Asp Explorer now is probably my main ship, even if I basically mained a Vulture for a couple of weeks. I still have my Imperial Courier which is an absolute blast for flying through canyons. I should get an iggle to see how that is for canyon racing.

• Locked thread