Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

loga mira
Feb 16, 2011

WON'T SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF THE NAZIS?

laserghost posted:

Well, I'm sorry you didn't like PK, ultimately. If you want, add me on Steam (steamid: iprokka), I'll gift you Necrovision and Reflex to compensate for spent money.
Also, if you're not burn on the game altogether, ditch the first campaign and go for Battle Out Of Hell. The first two levels (Orphanage and Stalingrad) are interesting.

It gets better right after where I stopped, sorry for being a baby. I guess it's similar to Unreal where some maps are just way worse than others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

fishmech posted:

Ahhhh, classic

Beautiful.

http://www.warnerbros.com/archive/spacejam/movie/jam.htm

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

joedevola posted:

There don't seem to be any low end 3D engines for this sort of thing. May as well go with UE4 since from what I've seen it's a bit easier to work with than Unity.

I've been trying to make a little 3D platform game to teach my young ESL students the names of colours in Unity and just setting up a proper first person camera is a pain in the balls, and it runs like a dog on the school's old computers.

I've made the same basic idea before in the UT99 engine but I really want to avoid going through a game interface. They always figure out what the fire button is then that's that.

Can't you just... unbind that? Or give the player a dummy gun that does nothing?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Keiya posted:

Can't you just... unbind that? Or give the player a dummy gun that does nothing?

Its definitely possible, people make racing games and poo poo out of unreal engine. But its always been easiest at building FPS and takes a lot more work to turn into anything else.
I could imagine it being surprisingly tricky to disable the gun :v: Still probably worth googling about.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Zaphod42 posted:

Idtech3 is written in C.

Not C++. Not C#.

C. :unsmigghh:

It's because segfaults are sexier than link errors.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Tippis posted:

It's because segfaults are sexier than link errors.

hello,

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Zaphod42 posted:

Idtech3 is written in C.

Not C++. Not C#.

C. :unsmigghh:

Low end is Unity. If you want something simpler and lighter weight than Unity, you're rolling your own.

3D is a huge pain even for "simple" stuff, just setting up all the proper required configurations, environment and boilerplate code can take forever.

Idtech 2 and 3 are both written in incredibly solid C that compiles without a hitch even in present-day compilers over 15 years later. I haven't had as much free time lately but I've been playing around with Idtech 2 and I've found it pretty easy to make modifications to.

On the other hand I wasn't very happy with the mess of C++ that Idtech 4 was with bizarre coding choices like functions in classes having the same name as class members (it's a valid thing to do but it's confusing and I like seeing a couple thousand warnings when I compile thanks) and just seemed sloppy by comparison. Also I never could get the code provided by id to work properly; it would compile with only a few modifications but would work perfectly on some maps, crash on others, run at sub-1 FPS on others, and have yet more diverse issues on other maps like monsters not leaving corpses.

(I'm not trying to make a commentary on C versus C++ because I like both a lot but I feel like Idtech 4 is a particularly sloppy example of C++)

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Zaphod42 posted:

Its definitely possible, people make racing games and poo poo out of unreal engine. But its always been easiest at building FPS and takes a lot more work to turn into anything else.
I could imagine it being surprisingly tricky to disable the gun :v: Still probably worth googling about.

You can make a gametype where you just don't give a player a gun in UT99, it's how the original Unreal campaign started even.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

I think Id Software made a big mistake adding energy armor to Quake II. As soon as you pick it up, the game ceases to be a challenge.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Woolie Wool posted:

I think Id Software made a big mistake adding energy armor to Quake II. As soon as you pick it up, the game ceases to be a challenge.

Rogue and Xatrix's solutions for this in their expansions was to give a bunch of enemies power shields as well, plus energy weapons which ignore the armour.

Edit: You can get a Power Shield very early in The Reckoning from a secret but it almost doesn't matter because of all the Laser Guard and Phalanx Gladiator spam :argh:

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Feb 13, 2016

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Phalanx Gladiators are such triumphantly terrible enemies that I actually quit The Reckoning when they started to show up in numbers. gently caress that noise. Also the power screen like the Brains have would have been better than the energy armor because you'd still be vulnerable at the back and sides. Either that or make energy armor use cells at a rate of 5:1 or even 10:1 instead of 1:1 so it doesn't last long.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Woolie Wool posted:

Phalanx Gladiators are such triumphantly terrible enemies that I actually quit The Reckoning when they started to show up in numbers. gently caress that noise. Also the power screen like the Brains have would have been better than the energy armor because you'd still be vulnerable at the back and sides. Either that or make energy armor use cells at a rate of 5:1 or even 10:1 instead of 1:1 so it doesn't last long.

You're essentially at the end of the game when they start showing up in large quantities (first one is on board the cargo ship to the moon, and then there's only a few more levels left) so you didn't miss much except an unexplained rehash of the Makron fight.

The game actually has a fully-functional but unused Power Screen item which can be swapped in for the original, and it isn't hard to make either item less efficient. If you want I can make these changes and throw up the DLL or source somewhere.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

BattleMaster posted:

You're essentially at the end of the game when they start showing up in large quantities (first one is on board the cargo ship to the moon, and then there's only a few more levels left) so you didn't miss much except an unexplained rehash of the Makron fight.

The game actually has a fully-functional but unused Power Screen item which can be swapped in for the original, and it isn't hard to make either item less efficient. If you want I can make these changes and throw up the DLL or source somewhere.

I'll think about it if I start Xatrix or Rogue. If so then I'd ask you to nerf Phalanx Gladiators or turrets as well.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Woolie Wool posted:

I'll think about it if I start Xatrix or Rogue. If so then I'd ask you to nerf Phalanx Gladiators or turrets as well.

Aha, sure. Just PM me or poke me in the thread. I've played with the Quake 2 code for so long that these kinds of changes are no trouble at all.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Have you overcame the problems you last mentioned with the invasion mod? Or still no luck?

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

laserghost posted:

Have you overcame the problems you last mentioned with the invasion mod? Or still no luck?

poo poo's been getting crazy at school (I'm fourth year nuclear engineering) so I had to give serious programming a rest since I can easily just sit and spend days at a time on one project if I'm not careful. I plan on revisiting it when things slow down. Sorry :{

The main problem I was facing is that Quake 2's netcode freaks out if the packet being sent is too big (this happens with lots of enemies on screen or if lots of gibs are spawned when you blow up a large group of enemy all at once, etc.) A lot of the features I had planned are implemented but a bit unpolished though.

This isn't something I could fix without putting the spawn limits down to levels that would probably be boring, so I was going to figure out which source ports fix this problem and what I have to do to get the mod to work on them. It's my understanding that KMQuake2 is the most up to date port that fixes this problem but changes the mod API so I'll have to port my code over to it.

Edit: This is going to be my first project to finish when things slow down but I'm sorry that you've been waiting on me

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Feb 13, 2016

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Jehde posted:

Actually it was. Being written in ASM allowed the code to be much more effecient, which allowed for more concurrent simulations, allowing for bigger parks. Something RCT3 had a big problem with, which didn't use the same ASM engine as the first two games.

Things that have changed since:
  • Computers have continued to grow in power at an impressive rate
  • Compilers have become capable of doing code optimization on their own, in most case as well as an experienced ASM programmers
  • Game engines have grown in complexity quite a little bit

Douk Douk
Mar 17, 2009

Take your pervert war elsewhere.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Have you played Delver? It's not really a shooter, but a first person sprite-based roguelike.

I haven't but it looks pretty neat, I'll check it out. Thanks!

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Cat Mattress posted:

• Compilers have become capable of doing code optimization on their own, in most case as well as an experienced ASM programmers

That's kind of irrelevant to his point, which was that there was a good reason why the engine was coded in assembly at the time.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

To be fair it's still mostly because Chris Sawyer was a crazy coding wizard. :v:

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Cat Mattress posted:

This would be a good point if Rollercoaster Tycoon was released this year :psyduck:

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

RyokoTK posted:

This would be a good point if Rollercoaster Tycoon was released this year :psyduck:

Just lol if you aren't building to specs 10 years in the future.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

BattleMaster posted:

poo poo's been getting crazy at school (I'm fourth year nuclear engineering) so I had to give serious programming a rest since I can easily just sit and spend days at a time on one project if I'm not careful. I plan on revisiting it when things slow down. Sorry :{

No need to be apologize, good luck at school! You're probably doing some of the most complex work on Q2 modding in at least few years. Maybe some people will feel the itch to make a few maps for this mod, similar how Qonquer received a bunch of maps year or two ago. I always thought that there wasn't enough done with Q2 outside few ambitious TC' like Gloom.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

BattleMaster posted:

fourth year nuclear engineering

:stare:

Well, guess my accountancy exams don't sound too bad after all

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?

BattleMaster posted:

Idtech 2 and 3 are both written in incredibly solid C that compiles without a hitch even in present-day compilers over 15 years later. I haven't had as much free time lately but I've been playing around with Idtech 2 and I've found it pretty easy to make modifications to.

On the other hand I wasn't very happy with the mess of C++ that Idtech 4 was with bizarre coding choices like functions in classes having the same name as class members (it's a valid thing to do but it's confusing and I like seeing a couple thousand warnings when I compile thanks) and just seemed sloppy by comparison. Also I never could get the code provided by id to work properly; it would compile with only a few modifications but would work perfectly on some maps, crash on others, run at sub-1 FPS on others, and have yet more diverse issues on other maps like monsters not leaving corpses.

(I'm not trying to make a commentary on C versus C++ because I like both a lot but I feel like Idtech 4 is a particularly sloppy example of C++)

A comment from Carmack on that that I remembered reading:

http://fabiensanglard.net/doom3/interviews.php posted:

Fabien Sanglard - What motivated to move the team to C++ for idTech4 ?

John Carmack - There was a sense of inevitability to it at that point, but only about half the programmers really had C++ background in the beginning. I had C and Objective-C background, and I sort of "slid into C++" by just looking at the code that the C++ guys were writing. In hindsight, I wish I had budgeted the time to thoroughly research and explore the language before just starting to use it.

You may still be able to tell that the renderer code was largely developed in C, then sort of skinned into C++.

Today, I do firmly believe that C++ is the right language for large, multi-developer projects with critical performance requirements, and Tech 5 is a lot better off for the Doom 3 experience.

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

worst song, played on ugliest guitar
Further to the Vietnam FPS chat, what was the name of that truly appalling shovelware Vietnam game where 90% of the game was running around identical tunnels with about four total art assets and totally broken physics? I remember watching a let's play of the whole game once and listening to the guy almost losing his mind.

Elliotw2 posted:

You can make a gametype where you just don't give a player a gun in UT99, it's how the original Unreal campaign started even.

I know and I always managed to make it work somehow. Ideally I'd like a simple bare bones 3D engine that I can just launch into without a videogame front end and make more elaborate stuff. I'm going to give UE3 a go, presumably if it can output games for an old phone I can make it so it'll run on an old PC without a graphics card.

I should just learn how Minecraft works. Korean kids loving love minecraft.

joedevola fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Feb 13, 2016

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

joedevola posted:

Further to the Vietnam FPS chat, what was the name of that truly appalling shovelware Vietnam game where 90% of the game was running around identical tunnels with about four total art assets and totally broken physics? I remember watching a let's play of the whole game once and listening to the guy almost losing his mind.

Please be thinking of Tunnel Rats, the video game tie-in to an Uwe Boll movie.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

catlord posted:

Please be thinking of Tunnel Rats, the video game tie-in to an Uwe Boll movie.

Wasn't it Nam, and it was done on the Build engine? Or am I thinking of something else?

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

worst song, played on ugliest guitar
I'm pretty sure it was Tunnel Rats. Can't find the good Let's Play I was thinking of though.

vvvv
edit: I think so!

joedevola fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Feb 13, 2016

Brovstin
Nov 2, 2012

joedevola posted:

I'm pretty sure it was Tunnel Rats. Can't find the good Let's Play I was thinking of though.

Was it the one Habermann did?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, since they're technically not shooters but they are old and first person, but I'm trying to dredge up the identities of two games from my childhood. This must have been back in the mid to late 90s and truth be told, I only ever played either game at a friend's house or my dad's laptop or something but for some reason they've stuck with me.

The first was some kind of early-3d, polygonal tank game. The (I assume) first level had you starting out on a road, being shot at by a blocky battleship off to the side and I think you'd end up sunk in a lake if you just drove forward. I remember this fact because nobody had any idea what controls were if they didn't involve arrow keys or a mouse and one of us only hit the throttle by accident.

The other game was considerably more advanced, graphics wise. It took place in a futuristic city and you flew around in a hover car. I think there were weapon pickups and badguys, but you might have also been able to just play the game like a space taxi. A lot of inertia to the controls, I think.

Anyway, if anybody has a clue to what the gently caress I am talking about that'd be swell.

Mordja fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Feb 13, 2016

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Mordja posted:

The other game was considerably more advanced, graphics wise. It took place in a futuristic city and you flew around in a hover car. I think there were weapon pickups and badguys, but you might have also been able to just play the game like a space taxi. A lot of inertia to the controls, I think.

My dad used to play this all the drat time. Trying to figure out the name. Will get back to you if I can drudge it up from the ol' memory banks.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Quarantine?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4rK5iqJke8

It also had a sequel, The Road Warrior, that was pretty cool.

Convex fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Feb 13, 2016

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Convex posted:

Quarantine

It also had a sequel, The Road Warrior, that was pretty cool.

Just checked, and nah, that's not what I'm thinking of. You were literally zipping around in a flying car and the aesthetic was much more Blade Runner. Might have been able to go 3rd person too.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

In 2022 AD cabbies will drive flying Checker Marathons.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AZlkJWzcdY&t=178s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApXltJ57QlM&t=60s

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?

Mordja posted:

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, since they're technically not shooters but they are old and first person, but I'm trying to dredge up the identities of two games from my childhood. This must have been back in the mid to late 90s and truth be told, I only ever played either game at a friend's house or my dad's laptop or something but for some reason they've stuck with me.

The first was some kind of early-3d, polygonal tank game. The (I assume) first level had you starting out on a road, being shot at by a blocky battleship off to the side and I think you'd end up sunk in a lake if you just drove forward. I remember this fact because nobody had any idea what controls were if they didn't involve arrow keys or a mouse and one of us only hit the throttle by accident.

Anyway, if anybody has a clue to what the gently caress I am talking about that'd be swell.

#1. I don't remember the mission format, but could this be Tank Commander by Domark (1995)?

#2. G-Police (1997)? There was another maybe more likely game that I remember playing a demo of, also in the late 90s. You flew a spaceship around a sci-fi city doing trading or combat or whatever a bit like in Elite, except in a city. Can't find what it was called. I do remember it had a pretty terrible draw distance.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Nition posted:

#1. I don't remember the mission format, but could this be Tank Commander by Domark (1995)?

#2. G-Police (1997)? There was another maybe more likely game that I remember playing a demo of, also in the late 90s. You flew a spaceship around a sci-fi city doing trading or combat or whatever a bit like in Elite, except in a city. Can't find what it was called. I do remember it had a pretty terrible draw distance.

Second one sounds a bit like Hardwar?

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?

Convex posted:

Second one sounds a bit like Hardwar?

That's it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i'm only enjoying project brutality for doom more and more as i play it. everything feels great to use and there's a huge amount of crazy enemies that feel like they belong. i highly recommend it.