Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

zoux posted:

I wonder who's read the most comics ever. Fan or industry person?

Either Mark Waid or Kurt Busiek.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

Mark Waid

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Definitely some unemployed weirdo living in a basement with access to a good tracker.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Only because Gruenwald passed away.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I didn't realize there was an actual answer to that question, I guess he's a noted reader of comics?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Mark Waid? Dude's an encyclopedia.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Mark Waid is the kind of guy that probably reads comics he hates just because he needs to know what's going on.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

Mark Waid is the kind of guy that probably reads comics he hates just because he needs to know what's going on.

I'm pretty sure he's said as much. There was a big trivia contest at the Chicago Comicon like 10 years ago and they kept asking questions about Image books and Waid didn't know any of them and he was getting madder and madder about it. When he didn't win he got kind of huffy that he'd have to read lesser comic books.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I do seem to recall that there was a "Stump Mark Waid" panel at a convention and someone started to ask a question about Rom and he just said he doesn't know anything about Rom.

Fake edit: I just looked up the panel report and not only did that happen, but he also said he hadn't read any of the New 52 books (this was in 2012, so maybe that has changed).

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Endless Mike posted:

I do seem to recall that there was a "Stump Mark Waid" panel at a convention and someone started to ask a question about Rom and he just said he doesn't know anything about Rom.

Fake edit: I just looked up the panel report and not only did that happen, but he also said he hadn't read any of the New 52 books (this was in 2012, so maybe that has changed).

Yeah he's super bitter about comics and it's just getting worse with old age.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Rhyno posted:

We should buy him an account.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

Well, it was only a matter of time before a comic creator got weird later in life.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Rhyno posted:

I'm pretty sure he's said as much. There was a big trivia contest at the Chicago Comicon like 10 years ago and they kept asking questions about Image books and Waid didn't know any of them and he was getting madder and madder about it. When he didn't win he got kind of huffy that he'd have to read lesser comic books.

Wizard had a "Comic Book IQ Test" in the 90's, and Mark Waid was the only creator they tested that got a perfect score. Knowing what each letter of SHAZAM meant put him over the top.

As much as he loves old school books he's not afraid to hammer out hyper time with Morrison, or write All New All Different Avengers. When he left DC you know there was a problem, because there's no reason why you wouldn't have him writing a book for you.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

zoux posted:

The Flaming Carrot.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
This is why I'm prepared to put Busiek above Waid. Busiek just send to love all comics.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Waid is such a comic nerd that it extends well beyond the books themselves. Like he knows the entire history of the industry down to like what editors were working on what back at DC and Marvel in the '50s and '60s. It's truly an encyclopedic knowledge of everything involving comics.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Didn't he make literal catalogue cards for every single comics character he read about with their background, origin, etc. when he was a kid?

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
If I'm being honest I probably would have done the same thing if the Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe hadn't already been a thing thanks to a previous generation of nerds like Mark Gruenwald and Peter Sanderson.

Which is to say I made an abortive Lotus 1-2-3 spreadsheet to track changes between OHTMUDE editions.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

I just conducted a pretty powerful exorcism in the dolls thread, and I must have more swole magic than I thought, because it moved at the speed of wizard (much faster than the speed of time) and as a side effect managed to annihilate whatever foul energies were still animating Justice Scalia, somewhat earlier today.

I just don't know what to do with all of this newfound power.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Squizzle posted:

I just conducted a pretty powerful exorcism in the dolls thread, and I must have more swole magic than I thought, because it moved at the speed of wizard (much faster than the speed of time) and as a side effect managed to annihilate whatever foul energies were still animating Justice Scalia, somewhat earlier today.

Alito or Thomas, please?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Squizzle posted:

Kill them all! :devil:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

CapnAndy posted:

Alito or Thomas, please?

Go for Alito, Thomas wouldn't know how to vote with both Alito and Scalia gone.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Squizzle posted:

Check you're pms.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Squizzle posted:

Pat Robertson is somehow still alive. Go for it.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Travis343 posted:

Pat Robertson is somehow still alive. Go for it.
NO!

He dies last.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
It's bad when people die, and my sympathies go out to Antonin Scalia's family and loved ones. It's good that he's no longer in a position of legal authority, tho.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

boom boom boom posted:

It's bad when people die, and my sympathies go out to Antonin Scalia's family and loved ones. It's good that he's no longer in a position of legal authority, tho.

No way. Everyone dies, and he died at a very old age, in his sleep, while on vacation, after a day of leisure, having achieved nigh the pinnacle of professional and intellectual success in his field, in a way that gave him significant influence over the unfolding of history into the medium term of the future. That's a v. excellent death. There's no reason at all to feel bad about his death qua human death.

But also, he can't vote for shiiiiiiit anymore and lived to see mandatory gay marriages enshrined in law using quotes from his own sassy, bigoted dissents. :toot: :peanut: :duckie: :parrot: :cheers: :gizz: :bravo2: :goku: :fork: :love: :sax: :slick:

e: :boom: :keke: :newlol: :3: :sparkles: :awesomelon: :respek: :rock: :whip: :syoon: :woop: :hydrogen: :haw:

ee:

Squizzle fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Feb 14, 2016

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Having some haters out there is the ideal way to go. If everyone liked you, it means you didn't do anything that anyone will remember.

Or you were Mr. Rogers or something.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

CapnAndy posted:

NO!

He dies last.

Only once straight marriage is illegal, abortion is mandatory, state atheism is enforced, and America's Caliph is sworn in on the Satanist Quran in one hand and the Communist Manifesto in the other, will Pat Robertson finally be allowed to die, knowing that America's pact with Satan is irreversible.

Or when his 85 year old heart gives out, whichever one comes first.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

DrProsek posted:

Only once straight marriage is illegal, abortion is mandatory, state atheism is enforced, and America's Caliph is sworn in on the Satanist Quran in one hand and the Communist Manifesto in the other, will Pat Robertson finally be allowed to die, knowing that America's pact with Satan is irreversible.

Or when his 85 year old heart gives out, whichever one comes first.

Pat Robertson hasn't had blood in his veins since 1968. He's sustained by the tears of single mothers and the families of AIDs victims.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Because I was apparently smart and loaded up on Deadpool poo poo we did $1700 just in Deadpool sales today.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

but he also said he hadn't read any of the New 52 books (this was in 2012, so maybe that has changed).

This sounds kinda like when he said that he stood up and yelled during Man of Steel. Y'know, one of those stories you just roll your eyes and go "yeah sure Mark you're totally done with DC now" :rolleyes:.

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

Squizzle posted:

No way. Everyone dies, and he died at a very old age, in his sleep, while on vacation, after a day of leisure, having achieved nigh the pinnacle of professional and intellectual success in his field, in a way that gave him significant influence over the unfolding of history into the medium term of the future. That's a v. excellent death. There's no reason at all to feel bad about his death qua human death.

But also, he can't vote for shiiiiiiit anymore and lived to see mandatory gay marriages enshrined in law using quotes from his own sassy, bigoted dissents. :toot: :peanut: :duckie: :parrot: :cheers: :gizz: :bravo2: :goku: :fork: :love: :sax: :slick:

e: :boom: :keke: :newlol: :3: :sparkles: :awesomelon: :respek: :rock: :whip: :syoon: :woop: :hydrogen: :haw:

ee:

I very rarely post in here, mostly because I'm still catching up on comics after a 10-12 year absence, but I gotta say this is one of the best responses to his death I've seen today. Bravo, sir.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rhyno posted:

Because I was apparently smart and loaded up on Deadpool poo poo we did $1700 just in Deadpool sales today.

drat son, was anything in particular more popular, or was there something you recommended more to people who were just "give me Deadpool"?

And a general question for everyone, Cable and Deadpool is supposed to be a good series, right? I've been meaning to check it out.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Make money money money.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Lurdiak posted:

Make money money money.

Money for nothin'.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

That little Rhyno got his own cement pond, that little Rhyno he's a millionaire

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Jedi posted:

I very rarely post in here, mostly because I'm still catching up on comics after a 10-12 year absence, but I gotta say this is one of the best responses to his death I've seen today. Bravo, sir.

The best one was
https://twitter.com/BettyBowers/status/698639054003245056

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
We sold 7 of the Marvel Select figure, a bunch of banks, pins, ARTFX statues, lots of the classic trades, two omnis and hundreds of single issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

TwoPair posted:

This sounds kinda like when he said that he stood up and yelled during Man of Steel. Y'know, one of those stories you just roll your eyes and go "yeah sure Mark you're totally done with DC now" :rolleyes:.

I think that's a pretty good example of why he's done with DC. That, and DC editorial barely holding their comic line together.

• Locked thread