Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

corn in the bible posted:

yeah because a tie would defer to the lower court which sided with the unions

And they still have to decide in June? That's amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
I like how Scalia is dead.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."
:siren:

https://twitter.com/WhiteHouse/status/698675851504840704

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

yeah because a tie would defer to the lower court which sided with the unions

A tie would be able to be retried once the seat was filled, wouldn't it?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Jack Gladney posted:

And they still have to decide in June? That's amazing.

if the gop wins the election then unions won't be saved

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Mors Rattus posted:

yeah they can decide to hear it again later because a decision wasn't reached

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XckfQq3CUjY

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!

Mors Rattus posted:

Could be, but probably wouldn't be. It's late enough in the term that it's more likely cases would just be decided 4-4. Not necessarily required, as they could always reset for next term, but it's most likely.

Here's the SCOTUSBlog rundown of current close cases. The most interesting one is probably affirmative action. Kagan recused herself from that case, meaning the conservative wing could still have a 4-3 majority.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
I saw a comment that the longest period between a nominee and confirmation was 125 days. Not sure if that is 100% accurate but it does make it seem like Obama will get to appoint Scalia's successor, one way or another. If the GOP manages to block an appointment until November it will just fuel the rhetoric that they are the opposition and can't get anything done. if the point of doing it is to get a Republican president to appoint the next justice, then you shouldn't be crippling your party's chances to win.

If anything they will probably use their majority in the senate to force Obama to replace Scalia with a more moderate candidate.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Offer Bernie the seat, I'm only half joking.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

Slowpoke! posted:

I saw a comment that the longest period between a nominee and confirmation was 125 days. Not sure if that is 100% accurate but it does make it seem like Obama will get to appoint Scalia's successor, one way or another. If the GOP manages to block an appointment until November it will just fuel the rhetoric that they are the opposition and can't get anything done. if the point of doing it is to get a Republican president to appoint the next justice, then you shouldn't be crippling your party's chances to win.

If anything they will probably use their majority in the senate to force Obama to replace Scalia with a more moderate candidate.

There's been vacancies much longer than 125 days, but the reason the 125 days is relevant is because the Senate Republicans won't be able to pretend that their obstruction is "normal." They could keep refusing to even vote on a nominee, but there could be a political price for it. We shall see.

sexy fucking muskrat
Aug 22, 2010

by exmarx
I wouldn't be surprised if Obama has already called Srinivasan (or whoever his top choice may be) asking about the nomination, he's going to want to get it out there as early as he can.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

TheAngryDrunk posted:

There's been vacancies much longer than 125 days, but the reason the 125 days is relevant is because the Senate Republicans won't be able to pretend that their obstruction is "normal." They could keep refusing to even vote on a nominee, but there could be a political price for it. We shall see.

Also their patron saint Reagan appointed Kennedy in 1988 right before leaving office, and refusing to allow Obama the same wouldn't look good at all.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

TheAngryDrunk posted:

Has obstruction been anything but successful for the republicans since Obama has been in office? They will pay no political price if they somehow drag out a confirmation until after Obama leaves office.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

TheAngryDrunk posted:

Apparently the longest vacancy was 27 months, when the Senate rejected John Tyler's nominations repeatedly. "Obstructionist Senate" is not a new thing.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Charliegrs posted:

Has obstruction been anything but successful for the republicans since Obama has been in office? They will pay no political price if they somehow drag out a confirmation until after Obama leaves office.

Yes, but...this may well really push voter participation, and that works for Dems, not Republicans.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Mitt Romney posted:

I'm with Kalman, I hope Obama nominates Jane Kelly. Seems like she would have a much better chance politically.

Jane Kelly the XCOM operative?

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

Charliegrs posted:

The difference is that this fight is going to be roughly a billion times more public and significant than anything that has happened so far. Most people don't follow cabinet nominees, but people won't be able to ignore this if they try. This is gonna be yuge. Yuge!

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

obama should nominate hillary

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Offer Bernie the seat, I'm only half joking.

And now my excitement is gone.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

this is starting right now.

e: He sounds so robotic and uncaring (not surprising, I guess).

He's being very blunt that he's going to nominate someone and the Senate needs to do their jobs.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Feb 14, 2016

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Ninkobei posted:

Looking forward to the Whitehouse rebuttal: The American people did elect someone, and he serves for 4 years, not 3.
- but with more :supaburn:

I'd love to know what Obama was thinking when he heard the news. I can't think of any justice he got along with less. Or one that openly hated Obama less.

Bin Laden, Scalia... who will be third? Every president gets 3 after all.

Conservatives hate Roberts for the ACA though and this will make him hated even more. Which I'm fine with because the more the GOP hates Roberts the better the chances of him completely breaking one day and going full gently caress You Dad to the GOP.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Evil Fluffy posted:

Bin Laden, Scalia... who will be third? Every president gets 3 after all.
Three what?

Do you mean the Presidential seal's secret power to kill anyone, usable only three times by each President?

hypnorotic
May 4, 2009
My dad thinks Obama was disrespectful for not wearing a tie.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Evil Fluffy posted:

this is starting right now.

e: He sounds so robotic and uncaring (not surprising, I guess).

He's being very blunt that he's going to nominate someone and the Senate needs to do their jobs.

And he's done. That was probably the shortest Obama speech I've heard.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

hypnorotic posted:

Ties are illegal in Rancho Mirage, CA.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

hypnorotic posted:

:thejoke:

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Is there a transcript yet?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

So is this Srinivasan guy going to be cool and good, or is he another center-right establishment tool but likes gays and abortion?

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
So I heard about Scalia and came to this thread. Hit the "last seen" button and it skipped me to this post:

Rygar201 posted:

What happens if a Justice dies between arguments and the release of opinions? Does the replacement Justice get to vote? Do they reargue?

:v:

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

hypnorotic posted:

That kind of subtle fuckery is one of the reasons I love 8th-year Obama.

Tommah posted:

the ruling of the lower court holds as nonbinding precedent as i understand it

It wouldn't be non-binding, it would still be binding but only in that particular Circuit.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

Jack Gladney posted:

So is this Srinivasan guy going to be cool and good, or is he another center-right establishment tool but likes gays and abortion?

Uh, what do you mean by "another"?

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock
I hope Obama goes full HAM and nominates George Soros just to really grind GOP gears

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

I'm curious, what happens with Scalia's clerks? Do they just mill around awkwardly until the year is over, are they reassigned, or what?

they update their resumes

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

genuinely thought it was just going to be 33 minutes of title card and podium, then cut to black

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Rogue operating systems on occasion spread lies and rumors about me.

hypnorotic posted:

As opposed to thinking he was disrespectful for what he said about him?

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

SedanChair posted:

I like how Scalia is dead.

This.

I'm out of Internet contact all day, having a nice Saturday afternoon with the kids, and I get back to the news that Antonin loving Scalia is dead, he's dead Jerry, are you loving kidding me?!?

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock

mdemone posted:

This.

I'm out of Internet contact all day, having a nice Saturday afternoon with the kids, and I get back to the news that Antonin loving Scalia is dead, he's dead Jerry, are you loving kidding me?!?

I took a nap and when I woke up one of my life nemeses has eaten and then kicked the bucket. I'm of mixed emotions.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

TheAngryDrunk posted:

The difference is that this fight is going to be roughly a billion times more public and significant than anything that has happened so far. Most people don't follow cabinet nominees, but people won't be able to ignore this if they try. This is gonna be yuge. Yuge!

Man, I wish people cared this much. Most people couldnt even tell you how many Supreme Court justices there are. Only political wonky type people are going to care or even know about the impending confirmation clusterfuck we are headed for. Thats why I dont think this will have much of an effect on the presidential election.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

berserker posted:

I took a nap and when I woke up one of my life nemeses has eaten and then kicked the bucket. I'm of mixed emotions.

Was it an unpleasant nap or something? Crick in your neck?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
I took a nap and woke up to this. Ran downstairs to cheer with my wife, but felt kinda bad about it.