Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Max Hammer posted:

Holy Christ, thank you for this. I didn't remember this game AT ALL, until I played that YouTube clip. Then it all came crashing back to me, all the hours I spent just racing around. And the graphics at the time were UNBELIEVABLE OMG!!!

So thanks for triggering a memory I didn't even know I had. But I definitely remember that guy and his ridiculous hair.

had a fairly similar reaction, filled the space in my brain that remembered "weapon-car game with crazy-haired man yelling at you"

i'm still trying to figure out the identity of an old isometric RPG where you needed a mirror shield before entering medusa's chamber, and also you could make your character walk around totally naked and it was very funny to me, a child.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Jerry Cotton posted:

There was a game (I'm thinking 80s) where it would delete a character from the diskette every time you died. I don't know what would have happened if you ran out of player characters :shrug:

e: This wasn't copy-protection. It would do that with legal copies.

About 10-12 years ago, someone in the game industry (I want to say Peter Molyneux, but I'm not 100% sure) said something about disliking how people don't read the instructions to a game before they start playing it, leading them to make a lot of bad criticisms and bad playing habits. I don't know if they were serious or not, but whoever it was said something like if they could make a game that you only had a single life in, and once you died, you had to buy it again, they would. The logic being something like that people would be forced to understand how to play the game before they even tried it, they'd spend time reading the manual, understanding the mechanics, paying attention to tutorial levels until you were 100% certain on how to play, etc.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

Buttcoin purse posted:

I read an article literally a few days ago that said those books are now available online free.

Also there's (unfortunately) Visual Basic :) I guess not everything is totally different, just most of it!

That's cool. The one I have is an omnibus edition actually, the second two sections of mine are on that site (Introduction to Computer Programming: BASIC for Beginners and Computer Spacegames)

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Max Hammer posted:

Holy Christ, thank you for this. I didn't remember this game AT ALL, until I played that YouTube clip. Then it all came crashing back to me, all the hours I spent just racing around. And the graphics at the time were UNBELIEVABLE OMG!!!

So thanks for triggering a memory I didn't even know I had. But I definitely remember that guy and his ridiculous hair.
We got Megarace with the CD drive we bought for our 386. Dad apparently got concerned about videogame violence and took it away. Little did he know that a few years down the road you'd be able to play a game where you can pick up a prostitute, have sex with her, then beat her to death, for points! That last point isn't true, he read that article too.

Apparently Megarace's soundtrack is also by Stéphane Picq, which makes sense being that it's a Cryo game.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I finally figured out what that nickelodeon thing was. Nickelodeon Director's Lab.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDU8kmU-zuM

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
My game consoles. I need to see if I can get the Odyssey to work with a modern TV

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Buttcoin purse posted:

I remember my dad bringing home a Toshiba laptop that looked like this from his work, and I sometimes used it when I went to his work. It had a :siren: plasma :siren: display a long time before plasma displays were something everyone wanted in their house.

I remember playing Castle Adventure on it.

I don't know how it got on there though and I didn't even remember its name, I had to go through all PC games on Moby Games starting from the beginning to find it. Some other memorable names came up when I was doing that: Lunar Landing, 3-Demon.

Speaking of lunar landing, did anyone else enjoy playing Astro Chicken in Space Quest III over and over? I saved game there and just kept going back over and over.

http://www.somethingawful.com/feature-articles/jeff-ks-flash/

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

JediTalentAgent posted:

About 10-12 years ago, someone in the game industry (I want to say Peter Molyneux, but I'm not 100% sure) said something about disliking how people don't read the instructions to a game before they start playing it, leading them to make a lot of bad criticisms and bad playing habits. I don't know if they were serious or not, but whoever it was said something like if they could make a game that you only had a single life in, and once you died, you had to buy it again, they would. The logic being something like that people would be forced to understand how to play the game before they even tried it, they'd spend time reading the manual, understanding the mechanics, paying attention to tutorial levels until you were 100% certain on how to play, etc.

Molyneux is one of the worst game designers ever. If it weren't for the spectrum, he would've been out of the business a long time ago.

e: Yeah sure Syndicate and Fable were playable but they're the odd men out.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Every molyneux game ive played has been poo poo and he strikes me as the type to defend them as misunderstood so i bet that quote is from him. Might as well be.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Peter Molydeux is a genius and I won't have anyone telling me otherwise :colbert:

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I was trying to find the quote to see who to attribute it to and have discovered there are games in recent years doing just that.

http://kotaku.com/if-you-die-in-this-game-you-can-never-play-again-ever-1690928265

http://steamed.kotaku.com/new-first-person-shooter-will-lock-out-your-steam-accou-1737430269

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer

JediTalentAgent posted:

I was trying to find the quote to see who to attribute it to and have discovered there are games in recent years doing just that.

http://kotaku.com/if-you-die-in-this-game-you-can-never-play-again-ever-1690928265

http://steamed.kotaku.com/new-first-person-shooter-will-lock-out-your-steam-accou-1737430269

And then you publish DLC giving you one more life. Each month or so.

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

Jerry Cotton posted:

Molyneux is one of the worst game designers ever. If it weren't for the spectrum, he would've been out of the business a long time ago.

e: Yeah sure Syndicate and Fable were playable but they're the odd men out.

Was he involved in Dungeon Keeper at all? That was good.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I hate Peter Molyneux. I haven't really played his games but he seems so smug about his games being so amazing that I don't want to.

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

Cojawfee posted:

I hate Peter Molyneux. I haven't really played his games but he seems so smug about his games being so amazing that I don't want to.

He's just one of those old rock and roll celebrity game designers who made a couple of great games 20-30 years ago and can't cut it anymore. None of the other rock star designers, except Richard Garriott can match his ego, but Lord British is charming in a crazy way.

e: I really wanted that Erich Chahi Populus rip-off to be good, but it wasn't.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

If Molyneux had had modern resources when he made Populous, it probably would've sucked.

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

Jerry Cotton posted:

If Molyneux had had modern resources when he made Populous, it probably would've sucked.

Good point, he probably would have made individual AIs for every mob and have them pass their eye color off to their kids at the expense of all the cool spells that let you flood and lava the bad dudes.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

BgRdMchne posted:

Yes. Apparently for the last year of development the dev team was moved into a small improvised office above Peter's garage, since relations with EA had soured so badly he had been locked out of his own studio.

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer

BgRdMchne posted:

He was. For that and Syndicate I am ready to forgive him for other transgressions.

Altough this wasn't too bad:

woodch
Jun 13, 2000

This'll kill ya!
The only Peter Molyneux game that I've knowingly played was Black and White. I got really into it for a while, then I hit that bug (or was it a feature?) where you can't progress to the next level, got fed up, and uninstalled it. I revisited it later after reading some guides and applying a patch or something, and tried again. In my awe of learning the world the first time around, I found that it was actually tedious micro-management to get your people to do what they should be doing on their own--ie. making enough food to live, getting enough lumber to build, etc. I got fed up all over again and uninstalled it again.

It was a pretty game, just really tedious if you wanted to progress at all.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."
Also Theme Park, that was Molyneux too.

Even the games universally hated on the internet were pretty good, they just couldn't live up to the hype that he caused around them. If it weren't for the hype they would've been pretty decent for their time. I don't even really believe he hyped them so much for selfish motives. There are people a lot worse in this industry.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

With all I've heard about him over the years he seems like the videogame industry's equivalent of Lucas; very good at core concepts but runs away with feature creep and dilutes his games into a shallow overstretched mess if he isn't questioned.

Doompants
May 22, 2015

Wintermutant posted:

While we're on the subject of obsolete MP3 players, this was my first one:

I can't really complain about that thing; sound quality may have been so-so, but it was as sturdy as a brick and still has my favorite shuffle functionality.

Mom got myself and three brothers these for Christmas instead of iPods. They still, loving, work.

Max Hammer
Jan 3, 2008

ANTIFREEZE!!!

Keith Atherton posted:

My game consoles. I need to see if I can get the Odyssey to work with a modern TV

Because of this thread, when I went over to my parent's house this week I went up in the attic and started digging through boxes. Just when I thought all hope was lost, I stumbled upon my Sega Master System. And the 48 games that went along with it. I plugged it in and it started right up. All of the games still work perfectly. I am SO glad they didn't sell the whole collection to someone at one of their garage sales for $5. And now I have a chance to take another crack at a game I NEVER got to beat as a child:

That game reminded me of something I'm nostalgic about old games: some of them you needed to take notes. With Zillion, you piece together a new 'unlock' code with every room you enter, but it's 4 characters (odd shapes) and you need to enter them in order. So you sit with your pen and notepad, playing this game, and after a few hours you have and entire page filled with what looks like an alien language. Here, found a picture of the characters used:

God, that game was fantastic. Now I've got to go play it.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Doompants posted:

Mom got myself and three brothers these for Christmas instead of iPods. They still, loving, work.

That was my second MP3 player. This was my first. 32mb of Chumbawumba, Weird Al, and Blue Man Group.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Wall Balls
Jun 3, 2007

Spanish Castle Magic

my first was an ipod, not sure what gen. the hard drive eventually ceased in warranty and i got a new one free. years later i figure out that you can uncease it by slamming it into a table. i then had two ipods.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Big Mean Jerk posted:

That was my second MP3 player. This was my first. 32mb of Chumbawumba, Weird Al, and Blue Man Group.

haha drat what ever happened to rio?? they just sort of disappeared it seems like

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
ahh that reminds me of the days of proprietary audio formats like RealAudio that required you to download this bullshit software on every PC

worst thing ever. now that i think about it though... didn't Real have a really early streaming music library service a la Spotify? I can't think of the name of it right now but I'm pretty sure they did and of course they hosed it up (that and the timing was wrong). now the company does... who the gently caress knows their website is a mess some vague cloud storage poo poo haha:

http://www.real.com/

is that domain name their most valuable asset at this poitn?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

thathonkey posted:

haha drat what ever happened to rio?? they just sort of disappeared it seems like

Apparently they were bought out in 2002 and are now owned by a company who also own Denon and Boston Acoustics.

After my DellDJ died I bought a Zune. Let me tell you about all the exciting things my Zune could do;

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
youll sometimes come across people who are weirdly into zune and are genuinely mad that MS stopped making new ones. ive never used one personally.

it's maybe a slight stretch to consider the original ipod a relic but the scroll wheel was awesome:

physical controls are good for some things, touch is good for some things :shrug: maybe i'm just old but the original ipod was way more usable than fuckin itunes shitshow app on my iphone 6.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Max Hammer posted:

That game reminded me of something I'm nostalgic about old games: some of them you needed to take notes. With Zillion, you piece together a new 'unlock' code with every room you enter, but it's 4 characters (odd shapes) and you need to enter them in order. So you sit with your pen and notepad, playing this game, and after a few hours you have and entire page filled with what looks like an alien language. Here, found a picture of the characters used:

Zillion was one of the best games for the Sega Master System. The symbols are numbers with their mirror image on the left. That realization blew my mind as a kid.

thoughts and prayers
Apr 22, 2013

Love heals all wounds. We hope you continually carry love in your heart. Today and always, may loving memories bring you peace, comfort, and strength. We sympathize with the family of (Name). We shall never forget you in our prayers and thoughts. I am at a loss for words during this sorrowful time.

Max Hammer posted:

Because of this thread, when I went over to my parent's house this week I went up in the attic and started digging through boxes. Just when I thought all hope was lost, I stumbled upon my Sega Master System. And the 48 games that went along with it. I plugged it in and it started right up. All of the games still work perfectly. I am SO glad they didn't sell the whole collection to someone at one of their garage sales for $5. And now I have a chance to take another crack at a game I NEVER got to beat as a child:

Impossible Mission on the C64. gently caress I hated that decryption puzzle.

Max Hammer
Jan 3, 2008

ANTIFREEZE!!!

Howard Beale posted:

Zillion was one of the best games for the Sega Master System. The symbols are numbers with their mirror image on the left. That realization blew my mind as a kid.

That realization just blew my mind right now. Holy poo poo! I did not know that's what they were. Thank you for that awesome piece of trivia knowledge.

For me, Zillion was by far the best game I played on that system. But in close 2nd and 3rd were Alex Kidd in High Tech World and Fantasy Zone. Oh, and Choplifter was pretty bad rear end too.

Jisei
Dec 22, 2004

A tiny bundle of supressed instincts held together by spit and caffeine.

LOVE LOVE SKELETON posted:

i'm still trying to figure out the identity of an old isometric RPG where you needed a mirror shield before entering medusa's chamber, and also you could make your character walk around totally naked and it was very funny to me, a child.

You're thinking of The Immortal. An awesome but frustrating game that makes Dark Souls look like Barbie's Pony Adventure. I never could complete it because I never did find the Mirror Shield.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

thathonkey posted:

youll sometimes come across people who are weirdly into zune and are genuinely mad that MS stopped making new ones. ive never used one personally.

it's maybe a slight stretch to consider the original ipod a relic but the scroll wheel was awesome:

physical controls are good for some things, touch is good for some things :shrug: maybe i'm just old but the original ipod was way more usable than fuckin itunes shitshow app on my iphone 6.

I bought an original iPod when they came out with a Windows version. You had to install a third party file management program for your PC which was a lot worse than iTunes.

I have a 3rd gen iPod too that I fired up recently and I tried touch scrolling the screen and thought it was broken because nothing happened.

iTunes is a mess and I hate using it. It served its purpose well way back when but there are so many added features now it's a pain in the rear end to figure out the simplest things. I wish I could just plug my phone into my PC, have iTunes come up with a dialog box with a button that says "Update and Backup this iPhone" and come back a half hour later and have everything backed up and updated.

They should have bit the bullet and rebuilt the UI from the ground up years ago.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I miss having a dedicated MP3 player with physical buttons because playing music off an iPhone while driving is a huge pain in the rear end.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

thathonkey posted:

ahh that reminds me of the days of proprietary audio formats like RealAudio that required you to download this bullshit software on every PC

worst thing ever. now that i think about it though... didn't Real have a really early streaming music library service a la Spotify? I can't think of the name of it right now but I'm pretty sure they did and of course they hosed it up (that and the timing was wrong). now the company does... who the gently caress knows their website is a mess some vague cloud storage poo poo haha:

http://www.real.com/

is that domain name their most valuable asset at this poitn?

I watched some episodes of South Park in their entirety on that thing back in 98.

Streaming.

56 kbps.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Jisei posted:

You're thinking of The Immortal. An awesome but frustrating game that makes Dark Souls look like Barbie's Pony Adventure. I never could complete it because I never did find the Mirror Shield.

Awesome, thank you. Now I can rest.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Negrostrike posted:

I watched some episodes of South Park in their entirety on that thing back in 98.

Streaming.

56 kbps.

I remember back in high school someone bragging about how they could download a half hour episode of south park....in just one hour :c00l:

They were talking about some postage stamp resolution .rm thing too probably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AbbadonOfHell
Jul 16, 2004
You know I would try to think of something funny to put here but ill just pass on that and threaten people with a + 2 board with a nail in it.

Jisei posted:

Pretty sure what he's describing is not in fact the Immortal but something else. There are no Medusa's/Mirror Shields/Nakedness in it that I'm aware of. Sorry to be a buzz kill.