Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koRiuyVh_JU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

Smythe posted:

i think im going to probe stux for a lot of his bad posts over the past few pages.

peace be upon smythe

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

Noted videogame producer :laugh:

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

echinopsis posted:

yeah the iPhone, and iPad were certainly trend following devices

I still don't understand what possible use case you could ever have for an iPad, or any other smartphone-OS tablet. At least Microsoft makes an x86 Surface.

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Larry Parrish posted:

I still don't understand what possible use case you could ever have for an iPad, or any other smartphone-OS tablet. At least Microsoft makes an x86 Surface.

They're entertainment devices.

Otaku Alpha Male
Nov 11, 2012

bitches get ~tsundere~ when I pull out my katana

cool when will they offer this in the apple store

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.

Otaku Alpha Male posted:

cool when will they offer this in the apple store

Theyre clearing space right next to the belkin screen protector machine for it

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

poty posted:

im in team stux which almost got autocorrected to stud which i agree with

i have made a terrible mistake i withdraw my support completely. stux has been an heretic towards our lord and savior steve the infallible and should be stoned and permabanned

im of the opinion that tim is a good sheperd of the sacred apple but sadly hes human and has made a few mistakes lately

one day steve will come back. in the meantime i pray that tim finds his inner steve

Otaku Alpha Male
Nov 11, 2012

bitches get ~tsundere~ when I pull out my katana

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Smythe posted:

i think im going to probe stux for a lot of his bad posts over the past few pages.

bless

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx
can't wait for new 4" phone, I can do without apple pay (lol) but so long as the loving thing has thumbprint I'm sold

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Internaut! posted:

can't wait for new 4" phone, I can do without apple pay (lol) but so long as the loving thing has thumbprint I'm sold

why wouldn't the new phone have apple pay?

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Last Chance posted:

why wouldn't the new phone have apple pay?

real answer: as a cost-cutting measure leaving out the nfc hardware to keep the unit price down

ideal answer: because tim is making an effort to correct his mistakes and phase out poorly conceived features

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Stymie posted:

real answer: as a cost-cutting measure leaving out the nfc hardware to keep the unit price down

ideal answer: because tim is making an effort to correct his mistakes and phase out poorly conceived features

apple pay works pretty flawlessly but it's rare i ever think to use it.

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

except the new 4inch iphone is gonna have apple pay

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.

cremnob posted:

except the new 4inch iphone is gonna have apple pay

And iOS 5

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
including Apple Pay is like the entire reason they're doing a new 4inch phone instead of just selling the 5 still

I dunno why anyone would be excited to buy a slightly upgraded version of an old phone with a tiny screen though. like if you're gonna spend money get the new $#%#!!

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

lol

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Apple Pay has always worked on my machine.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm working retail while I wait for college to start and Apple Pay or any other contactless NFC payment system is totally pointless because company policy still requires people to enter their PINs manually for debit accounts or to sign all receipts for credit accounts. It's slower and more of a hassle to use them.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Larry Parrish posted:

I'm working retail while I wait for college to start and Apple Pay or any other contactless NFC payment system is totally pointless because company policy still requires people to enter their PINs manually for debit accounts or to sign all receipts for credit accounts. It's slower and more of a hassle to use them.

though on the other hand, all of the vending machines at my university are now equipped for apple pay so it is more convenient than swiping a card or feeding change

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Stymie posted:

i think the biggest innovation that steve brought to apple wasn't just his sense of design or what makes a good product, it was the utter contempt he had for people who actually work in tech, including engineers and especially executives

tim actually lets the very bad and dumb employees have their sway and as a result design and overall quality is slipping because if you give them an inch they'll take a mile

Programmers aren't engineers.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Larry Parrish posted:

ur company's pos is a pos

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Citizen Tayne posted:

Programmers aren't engineers.

no, but the people who poorly designed the post-jobs apple hardware would be considered engineers

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

these funny or die vids are a bit too monkey cheese for my taste

what do you mean its real

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mishaq posted:

ur company's pos is a pos

The whole system crashes and reboots every time the cable modem loses connection

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Larry Parrish posted:

every time the cable modem loses connection

the_state_of_american_broadband.txt

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

Larry Parrish posted:

way to go not working for a place pro enough to embrace Square as the One True POS system

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug
Samsung Pay. It just works.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

theultimo posted:

Samsung Pay. It just works.

until they actually turn on their chip readers

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

computer parts posted:

until they actually turn on their chip readers

actually samsung pay can work with chip readers, because the credit card number it blasts to fool the magstripe reader into thinking a card was swiped can still be tokenized, i.e. its not the same numbers that are actually printed on the card. but that requires samsung to work directly with every bank

the tokenized number wont have the flag to require a chip be used so it could still work, but that's just the bank's decision. if youre directly converting your debit card to samsung pay and then your bank updates your card to have a chip and there's no integration beyond that, then yeah it wouldnt work

its just a really ghetto way of getting mobile payments going in the us in the interim while everything transitions

for poors.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

i cant wait until this stupid stalemate with businesses purposefully disabling the RFID readers on all their terminals finally ends so i can use apple pay everywhere

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Stymie posted:

no, but the people who poorly designed the post-jobs apple hardware would be considered engineers

what are ur thoughts on the A9 SOC

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Stux posted:

what are ur thoughts on the A9 SOC

which one?

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer
is there a good a9 vs a bad a9?

or someone is confusing a9 with a9x?

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
as i understand it, there are two major manufacturers for the a9 chip and one of the two has significant performance problems i don't recall which

moreover, one was produced in korea and one in china resulting in some nationalist furor over which was installed in a given phone

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
it's entirely possible that this is all rumor, however i just know it was introduced and installed in a very bad phone

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
also, thank you smythe for your vigilance

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Stymie posted:

also, thank you smythe for your vigilance

you're very welcome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Stymie posted:

as i understand it, there are two major manufacturers for the a9 chip and one of the two has significant performance problems i don't recall which

moreover, one was produced in korea and one in china resulting in some nationalist furor over which was installed in a given phone

sarnsung and tsmc

they use different process nodes and have different performance characteristics and power envelopes, so of coursed they're mixed randomly through the 6s and 6s+ lines

• Locked thread