Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

suicidesteve posted:

Affinity is probably the hardest deck to consistently play wall in the format.

It was my first modern deck and one of my favorites. Yet I still ran burn at regionals because I didn't want to think that hard all day. It's very rough and requires tons of reps and line analysis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Chill la Chill posted:

Look you guys, as much as we all would prefer some kawaii desu anime art on them instead, at least it's actually on the card. It defeats the purpose if you're just gonna have some lame art on a sleeve.

Yeah I dislike MLP and all but the shrieking reactions over them make it worthwhile.

Reminds me of all the poo poo lost when how Shaky Kane sliced a copy of Fantastic Four 2 to use for making an issue of his comic Bulletproof Coffin Burroughs cut-up style.

The freakout was cool because the comic's been reprinted 900 times and it's not like it was a NM copy anyway. Comics are meant to be read. Making new art with it is the best possible use.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL
Won gameday 3-0 with Jeskai Thopters.

Never don't play Hangarback Walker.

Backno posted:

It's funny how many people give us Affinity players zero credit for our play. They seem to forget that it's super easy to miss a point or 2 of damage early and have it cost them a game.

Affinity is my first modern deck and I've been on it for a couple months now. Playing the deck and solving complex lines of play tickles my brain in ways not many decks could.

Pyronic fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Feb 14, 2016

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Pyronic posted:

Affinity is my first modern deck and I've been on it for a couple months now. Playing the deck and solving complex lines of play tickles my brain in ways not many decks could.

Its not as complex, but I find a similar enjoyment playing infect when you can win from what was previously a losing board state.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Play any deck you don't play and you'll wonder how people win with it.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

I have played Enchantress extensively and I don't wonder how anyone wins with anything

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

rabidsquid posted:

I have played Enchantress extensively and I don't wonder how anyone wins with anything

enchantress is sweet

I just wish it wasn't bad :(

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Elyv posted:

enchantress is sweet

Same. Except moreso because it's my favorite Legacy deck.

:negative:

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

Pyronic posted:

Never don't play Hangarback Walker.

Is this close to your list?
http://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/363479#online

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

I'll post the list tomorrow, but it was similar to the post-oath list at the bottom of this: http://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles/budget-magic-81-48-tix-standard-ur-thopters

Weapons Trainers and Stoneforge Masterworks were amazing. White was pretty much only a splash for the trainers, off 4 prairie streams and 4 strands. Hadn't even thought to try Jeskai Charm.

Some sweet plays: On kinda stalled board, Fling 5 counter Hangarback with Pia and Kiran, have engineer in play, play 2 weapons trainers, swing for 24-ish?

keeblerdrow
May 4, 2004
Still not king, damnit.
Today I found out the foil to Bant Company. It's Mardu Green, featuring Rhino and GDD. Its main threats are things you never want to bounce, like ever. And the rest of it is kill spells and card draw. I had my poo poo pushed in by it while I easily trounced every other match (if I didn't mulligan myself into oblivion).

My highlight of the deck was having 2 Wall of Resurgence post-board and winning a game 2 on the draw against UR Prowess. Him with a solid 7, me with a 4-card-1-lander. Hit Collected Company mana on turn five, it netted me a Wall and a Reflector Mage and he never recovered. His draw wasn't even that bad, too.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
I've been looking for sideboard answers to Chalice on 1 in my BUG Infect deck, is Punishment too narrow? It also kills Endless One, and can kill multiple things in Affinity, but there are a lot of situations where it would be a total blank.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Konstantin posted:

I've been looking for sideboard answers to Chalice on 1 in my BUG Infect deck, is Punishment too narrow? It also kills Endless One, and can kill multiple things in Affinity, but there are a lot of situations where it would be a total blank.

What's wrong with Abrupt Decay?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Lightning Lord posted:

Yeah I dislike MLP and all but the shrieking reactions over them make it worthwhile.

Reminds me of all the poo poo lost when how Shaky Kane sliced a copy of Fantastic Four 2 to use for making an issue of his comic Bulletproof Coffin Burroughs cut-up style.

The freakout was cool because the comic's been reprinted 900 times and it's not like it was a NM copy anyway. Comics are meant to be read. Making new art with it is the best possible use.

Those early Marvel books (early in quotes because the company was much older but anyway) didn't have large print runs even by the day's standards and while that was a cool issue its kinda depressing thinking about how there's one less copy of that book in existence

Trades exist but a print of a painting isn't the same thing as the painting, y'know?

DoctorOozy
Jun 22, 2013

Like you get in packing paper?

Eikre posted:

Speaking of art on sleeves, do they make sleeves with boarders on the face, to deal with the disparity in reprints from before 2010? Seems like a thing people would want.

They exist but don't ask me the source. I played a guy at a pptq in York who's sleeves had printing on the front that made every card look white boarded.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Hmm, I'm at a loss for what to play in modern given that I don't want to buy into Eldrazi. I could jam Bring To Light into Ad Nauseam (the redundancy!), attempt to make Reality Acid work, or just keep playing my Knight of the Reliquary/Eternal Command mashup that only really gained a single Sea Gate Wreckage from Oath and probably has an awful matchup against an Eldrazi deck running Cavern.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Elyv posted:

enchantress is sweet

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Same. Except moreso because it's my favorite Legacy deck.

:negative:

If enchantress was not bad, it wouldn't be so sweet.

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon

Pyronic posted:

Can you post the decklist or PM it to me?

edit: lmao someone got mad and bought an avatar? hahahahahahahha

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

Who are you, and why should I care?

gonadic io posted:

Hmm, I'm at a loss for what to play in modern given that I don't want to buy into Eldrazi. I could jam Bring To Light into Ad Nauseam (the redundancy!), attempt to make Reality Acid work, or just keep playing my Knight of the Reliquary/Eternal Command mashup that only really gained a single Sea Gate Wreckage from Oath and probably has an awful matchup against an Eldrazi deck running Cavern.

I've had fun playing Blue Moon at my local store, but it is pretty combo heavy. Went 4-0 last night against Instant Reanimator, Ad Nauseam, a Mardu tokens deck, and UR Eldrazi. Normally there are like 4-5 burn decks out of 20 people but none of them showed up.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
So, where did LSV upload that video where he drafted 6 Bone Saws? I've only watched his CF content.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

AlternateNu posted:

So, where did LSV upload that video where he drafted 6 Bone Saws? I've only watched his CF content.

It's the first draft in this stream: http://www.twitch.tv/lsv/v/43784028

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

gonadic io posted:

It's the first draft in this stream: http://www.twitch.tv/lsv/v/43784028

Danke

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

rabidsquid posted:

If enchantress was not bad, it wouldn't be so sweet.

I don't think it's possible for Enchantress to not be sweet, even if it was good.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Elyv posted:

I don't think it's possible for Enchantress to not be sweet, even if it was good.

Cast elephant grass, draw 4 cards

Enchantress is the best bad deck.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
Went 3-2 with standard UR Eldrazi in game day. Pretty drat funny. I lost to Jeskai Aggro and bant company by only having 2 lands both games.

Jeskai just ran me over with mantis rider, so I need to have more 3 damage removal in the SB and Bant I started wih 2 land hands and never drew another land in both game which went at least 6 turns each. So maybe I need to go up to 24-25 lands.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Cast elephant grass, draw 4 cards

Enchantress is the best bad deck.

Cast Elephant Grass, Solitary Confinement, and Sterling Grove, hide in my pillow fort while drawing all the cards.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Elyv posted:

Cast Elephant Grass, Solitary Confinement, and Sterling Grove, hide in my pillow fort while drawing all the cards.

The enchantress mirror is hysterical to watch

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

If anyone else has listened to Maro's podcast about reprints, it makes me hate magic creative. I can understand killing something because it would be too strong for Standard, but killing something for flavor reasons makes my blood boil. You can make up whatever flavor your want.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Went 3-2 with standard UR Eldrazi in game day. Pretty drat funny. I lost to Jeskai Aggro and bant company by only having 2 lands both games.

Jeskai just ran me over with mantis rider, so I need to have more 3 damage removal in the SB and Bant I started wih 2 land hands and never drew another land in both game which went at least 6 turns each. So maybe I need to go up to 24-25 lands.

What're you running in yours? I'm making a u/colorless Standard Eldrazi and it's just 4 of's Prophet of Distortion, Mimic, Cultivator Drone, Endless One, TKS, Reality Smasher and 3 Drowner of Hopes with 4 of's Slip Through Space and Negate for defense with 25 lands. I haven't played it yet since I'm still waiting on cards to come in the mail, but I'm hoping it's just a fun, slower version of the Atlanta PT stuff.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

GoutPatrol posted:

If anyone else has listened to Maro's podcast about reprints, it makes me hate magic creative. I can understand killing something because it would be too strong for Standard, but killing something for flavor reasons makes my blood boil. You can make up whatever flavor your want.

Yeah "this valuable modern staple refers to a particular creative element, therefore we can never reprint it or create a functional reprint" is the worst.

In the other direction, Maros fixation on ~*the color pie*~ to the exclusion of all else is annoying. Dude objected to Song of the Dryads being in a commander precon because he feels it's a pie violation. The only removal green should ever, ever get after all is against artifacts and enchantments, or the limited all-star that is fight. Nevermind that this card was made to help a weakness in mono-green decks, nevermind that it's similar to cards like Lignify and Beast Within, it was a huge mistake that's going to lead to green swords to plowshares being printed in every set. Also, nevermind that it's for EDH, a format that Maro has admitted to really not knowing much about, so it will never touch standard, and it's not like Song of the Dryads is tearing up Legacy. It's like he was so traumatized by Planar Chaos not selling a trillion boxes and market research showing that it was unpopular among newbies that he decided that the reason was Color Pie Violations.

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Feb 14, 2016

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I don't think he liked Beast Within either.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I don't think he liked Beast Within either.

I know, that was part of his justification for hating Song, the menace that was Beast Within in standard.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Lightning Lord posted:

Yeah "this valuable modern staple refers to a particular creative element, therefore we can never reprint it or create a functional reprint" is the worst.

In the other direction, Maros fixation on ~*the color pie*~ to the exclusion of all else is annoying. Dude objected to Song of the Dryads being in a commander precon because he feels it's a pie violation. The only removal green should ever, ever get after all is against artifacts and enchantments, or the limited all-star that is fight. Nevermind that this card was made to help a weakness in mono-green decks, nevermind that it's similar to cards like Lignify and Beast Within, it was a huge mistake that's going to lead to green swords to plowshares being printed in every set. Also, nevermind that it's for EDH, a format that Maro has admitted to really not knowing much about, so it will never touch standard, and it's not like Song of the Druids is tearing up Legacy. It's like he was so traumatized by Planar Chaos not selling a trillion boxes and market research showing that it was unpopular among newbies that he decided that the reason was Color Pie Violations.

profoundstatement-buffering asked: Why does Song of the Dryads make you sad?

It means that Commander drifts farther and farther away from being Magic.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

See also, Hornet Queen, and also the totally Not Red Card that is Snapcaster Mage

It honestly just bothers me that Maro is completely obsessed with making everything samey in every set: Green has fatties and no removal, red has tiny little dudes that go fast, and have removal that leads to the caster potentially getting all the feelbads, and blue is the only color to get countermagic ever because

Count Bleck fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Feb 14, 2016

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Warping Wail out of the sideboard is pretty tits, I boarded it in a lot on Friday. Only 4 people for game day today...

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
It's because the color pie is what makes the game work. You'll be happy to know that Maro does not have be-all end-all control over what gets printed. Most of the time some card doesn't get reprinted it's development, not Design. Sam Stoddard and Aaron Forsythe talk about it quite a bit themselves - the reason people want [Powerful Modern Card] to get reprinted is because its powerful and was too good for Standard even when it existed, but trying to put those cards back in has a tendency to suck (because those cards sucked for some reason). They let Thoughtseize through even though it sucked in testing because they figured people were howling for a big Modern reprint, but in the end they felt like doing it was still a mistake for Standard because it made for miserable gameplay.

I don't think you're going to see "big Modern reprint" unless that is a specific pack-purchasing hook for a set. That was the hook for Theros - the set was relatively low power and top down in a not-terribly-exciting way, so throwing Thoughtseize in there helped mitigate what was otherwise a dull set to purchase. Khans had fetchlands and Zendikar 2 has Expeditions, and I assume something chase-y other than "more cards" will exist in Shadows Over Innistrad.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
The problem with that is that the color pie as it is and adhering to it religiously is what makes the game poo poo as often as not. Wanna build a monogreen deck and have interaction beyond turning guys sideways? Tough poo poo, that's outside the color pie. Wanna have some guys to drop on turn 1-2 that are worth having around past turn 4? Too bad, that's red/white. Wanna draw cards ever? Better be playing blue, or black (but only if you're willing to pay life)!

When it gets down to the brass tacks, I'd rather they reprint cards that are $50+ from scarcity and deal with them in standard for a while than tell people they need four figures of disposable income to play in a format. And I'd rather them take a loving risk instead of samey horseshit every set because "oh no, the color pie won't let us." Creative should spend less time jacking off to a pile of hackneyed cliches and start being creative; it's supposed to be "this color is best at _____", not "this is the only color/pair allowed to do ______".

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Yawgmoth posted:

The problem with that is that the color pie as it is and adhering to it religiously is what makes the game poo poo as often as not. Wanna build a monogreen deck and have interaction beyond turning guys sideways? Tough poo poo, that's outside the color pie. Wanna have some guys to drop on turn 1-2 that are worth having around past turn 4? Too bad, that's red/white. Wanna draw cards ever? Better be playing blue, or black (but only if you're willing to pay life)!

When it gets down to the brass tacks, I'd rather they reprint cards that are $50+ from scarcity and deal with them in standard for a while than tell people they need four figures of disposable income to play in a format. And I'd rather them take a loving risk instead of samey horseshit every set because "oh no, the color pie won't let us." Creative should spend less time jacking off to a pile of hackneyed cliches and start being creative; it's supposed to be "this color is best at _____", not "this is the only color/pair allowed to do ______".
I'm really glad you're not in charge of magic.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Yawgmoth posted:

Where do you draw the line? What makes green green if it has ramp and weenies and fatties and can destroy creatures, artifacts and enchantments and draw cards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Lottery of Babylon posted:

profoundstatement-buffering asked: Why does Song of the Dryads make you sad?

It means that Commander drifts farther and farther away from being Magic.

Do you part of Trick Jarrett's job is making sure Maro bolds the right words on his tumblr? In fact, do you think part of the reason why his blog is so bad and has so many questions about the man's lunch habits can be chalked up to Jarrett's general incompetence?

Angry Grimace posted:

It's because the color pie is what makes the game work. You'll be happy to know that Maro does not have be-all end-all control over what gets printed. Most of the time some card doesn't get reprinted it's development, not Design. Sam Stoddard and Aaron Forsythe talk about it quite a bit themselves - the reason people want [Powerful Modern Card] to get reprinted is because its powerful and was too good for Standard even when it existed, but trying to put those cards back in has a tendency to suck (because those cards sucked for some reason). They let Thoughtseize through even though it sucked in testing because they figured people were howling for a big Modern reprint, but in the end they felt like doing it was still a mistake for Standard because it made for miserable gameplay.

I don't think you're going to see "big Modern reprint" unless that is a specific pack-purchasing hook for a set. That was the hook for Theros - the set was relatively low power and top down in a not-terribly-exciting way, so throwing Thoughtseize in there helped mitigate what was otherwise a dull set to purchase. Khans had fetchlands and Zendikar 2 has Expeditions, and I assume something chase-y other than "more cards" will exist in Shadows Over Innistrad.

No one is saying abolish the color pie but the apoplectic freakouts that Maro has over anything that even pushes up against the boundaries is just boring, like Count Bleck points out. The hoops certain colors jump through to do things other colors can just do are interesting design spaces that lead to cards like Hornet Queen. And yes, I know he's not the Lord of Magic. He's just the most public face of R&D.

sarmhan posted:

I'm really glad you're not in charge of magic.

lmao

• Locked thread