Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AllanGordon
Jan 26, 2010

by Shine

T r a v i s posted:

I love America so much, this is the greatest country of all time.

same

this election is even better than when they used to give out free booze to vote

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

South Carolina made a loving killing on the Iraq War

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

the_paradigm_shift posted:

Wasn't really expecting this from you since you always put on your adult pants before posting here but this is what joementum has been telling this thread for months now. Party politics is how our system works and actual renegade candidates have a huge wall to climb and have almost never made it.

The point is it has never been more apparent to the electorate than this election cycle, and the almost complete saturation of Internet access is making access to this information and understanding of how the parties operate even easier than ever before.

Oiled and Ready
Oct 11, 2004

He wished it could be as respectable and orthodox as spying. But somehow in his hands the traditional tools and attitudes were always employed toward mean ends: cloak for a laundry sack, dagger to peel potatoes, dossiers to fill up dead Sunday afternoons ...
http://www.salon.com/2015/05/20/george_w_bushs_cia_briefer_admits_iraq_wmd_intelligence_was_a_lie/

I know, Salon, but they did lie. It's factual that the CIA warned of impending attacks, and it's factual that we had no solid proof of WMDs, and the fact the media won't admit this is troubling.

Trump will get them there. Then he'll get them further, and finally, he'll drop the trutherbomb. That will be quite a shitstorm of an inaugural address.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Wasn't really expecting this from you since you always put on your adult pants before posting here but this is what joementum has been telling this thread for months now. Party politics is how our system works and actual renegade candidates have a huge wall to climb and have almost never made it.
It has never, ever been this blatant, or during a time where faith in the political establishment is at an all time low. We are in for a serious ride.

Dan Carlin put it best when he said that if we don't get a populist in 2016, we're looking at a hitler-like in 2020. It's not going to just go away.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Yeah, I was saying it all night in the debate thread, the average viewer response to the debate audience was totally "gently caress those shills".

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.

Oiled and Ready posted:

http://www.salon.com/2015/05/20/george_w_bushs_cia_briefer_admits_iraq_wmd_intelligence_was_a_lie/

I know, Salon, but they did lie. It's factual that the CIA warned of impending attacks, and it's factual that we had no solid proof of WMDs, and the fact the media won't admit this is troubling.

Trump will get them there. Then he'll get them further, and finally, he'll drop the trutherbomb. That will be quite a shitstorm of an inaugural address.

First day in office he will reveal, based on secret Presidential documents he can't share:

1. Obama not actually a citizen.
2. Jeb did 9/11
3. UFOs are real, that's how he came to this planet.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

FuriousxGeorge posted:

First day in office he will reveal, based on secret Presidential documents he can't share:

3. UFOs are real, that's how he came to this planet.

David Fry was right! :tinfoil:

Xenophanes
Nov 8, 2015

Aliquid posted:

this...this is a start. give me more

As a liberal skeptic, I have to say... Is this really any worse than 2008...or 2012. I mean, was a McCain-Palin ticket really a sign of a party that was coherent and ready to defend itself? Trump is ready to remake the party and deal with the consequences. #AllTrueRepublicans

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
The establishment is killing itself - it might get to the point when even if the establishment is right, they will still be ignored because of the mistrust they have sowed.

Like honestly a Trump 2016 success might be better than a Hillary 2016 success, just for the sake of 2020.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

rudatron posted:

The establishment is killing itself - it might get to the point when even if the establishment is right, they will still be ignored because of the mistrust they have sowed.

Like honestly a Trump 2016 success might be better than a Hillary 2020 success, long term.

Colbert feared extremists like Trump or Sanders having their followers get violent, what if he's a moron, and it's the establishment that will get violent?

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/GroverNorquist/status/698738293517619200

Top Bunk Wanker
Jan 31, 2005

Top Trump Anger

If I said the sky was blue you would load up weather.com and post pictures of zip codes where it was overcast that day.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Grover what the gently caress

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4R2aW03pwL0

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Top Bunk Wanker posted:

If I said the sky was blue you would load up weather.com and post pictures of zip codes where it was overcast that day.

The sky is not blue, sorry to shock you with reality

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

Top Bunk Wanker posted:

just calling bullshit on ya, forgive me for being correct this time

Mystery Goomba
Jun 4, 2011
I'm proud that we have Grover Norquist to speak out on behalf of proud capers such as myself.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

On the craziest night of the craziest primary somehow this feels like the craziest thing I've seen.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

STAC Goat posted:

On the craziest night of the craziest primary somehow this feels like the craziest thing I've seen.

I dunno, actual presidential candidates arguing Bush kept the country safe on 9/11 is pretty drat crazy. I've been able to explain away most of the crazy so far as "yeah it's batshit but it's because they believe ________". That's just loving nuts.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Apparently this is a thing, and I think Grover Norquist is wasted.

http://vapebeat.com/health/the-war-on-vaping-is-about-money-not-your-well-being

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2014/2/14/1275718/-Democrats-Stop-the-war-on-vaping

Top Bunk Wanker
Jan 31, 2005

Top Trump Anger

blue squares posted:

:eng99:

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
10 million superhero-americans, i salute you

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

blue squares posted:

It is blue, it's just not because the atmosphere scatters only blue light, human perception responses to light play a role. But color is all human perception anyone, technically it doesn't exist - there's no special difference between 400nm and 600nm as far as light is concerned.

Nonsense posted:

Colbert feared extremists like Trump or Sanders having their followers get violent, what if he's a moron, and it's the establishment that will get violent?
They already are! They're telling voters to 'put up or shut up' in the most direct terms they can, but there's no guarantee that's going to keep working.

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

♬ I Know You're Dying Trying To Figure Me Out♬

♬My Name's On The Tip Of Your Tongue Keep Running Your Mouth♬

♬You Want The Recipe But Can't Handle My Sound My Sound My Sound♬

♬No Matter What You Do Im Gonna Get It Without Ya♬

♬ I Know You Ain't Used To A Female Alpha♬
gotta include the other tweet as well
https://twitter.com/GroverNorquist/status/698717995250688000
the vaping voting bloc is not to be messed with

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven

a cop posted:

Yeah, I was saying it all night in the debate thread, the average viewer response to the debate audience was totally "gently caress those shills".

The audience booing Cruz sealed that with most conservatives.

Quidam Viator
Jan 24, 2001

ask me about how voting Donald Trump was worth 400k and counting dead.

Xenophanes posted:

As a liberal skeptic, I have to say... Is this really any worse than 2008...or 2012. I mean, was a McCain-Palin ticket really a sign of a party that was coherent and ready to defend itself? Trump is ready to remake the party and deal with the consequences. #AllTrueRepublicans

rudatron posted:

Like honestly a Trump 2016 success might be better than a Hillary 2016 success, just for the sake of 2020.

Yes, this is what it looks like when your systematic structure begins to break up as it has broken its own unwritten rules. No seriously: choose ANY outcome here for who wins the presidency, Trump, Cruz, Rubio, JEB!, Kasich, Hillary, OR Bernie, and tell me exactly how sane 2020 is going to be after 4 years. Tell me how we all go back into rank-and-file red state/blue state, Republican/Democrat straight ticket voters. Show me the rosiest picture of America you can imagine.

The descent we have seen from 2000-present in terms of coherence, actual statesmanship, intent to serve and lead the public, and actual effectiveness is not a phase: it is a very definite and accelerating trajectory.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

rudatron posted:

It is blue, it's just not because the atmosphere scatters only blue light, human perception responses to light play a role. But color is all human perception anyone, technically it doesn't exist - there's no special difference between 400nm and 600nm as far as light is concerned.

less than 50% of the sky appears to be blue at any given time.

I was bitten by a radioactive fishmech

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

mannerup posted:

gotta include the other tweet as well
https://twitter.com/GroverNorquist/status/698717995250688000
the vaping voting bloc is not to be messed with

Popcorn lung is over-rated.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Zohar
Jul 14, 2013

Good kitty

zen death robot posted:

But the audience hated Trump tonight :ohdear:

not the real audience

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe
The Montana-Idaho border still looks like John McCain's face

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad
It would be funny if the most crazy GOP primary in a long time resulted in the most electable candidate being nominated (Kasich).

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

If you vape for anything other than marijuana you deserve what you get

You're siding with Grover Norquist if you do this apparently, and when you're doing that it's time to sit down and soberly assess where you went wrong

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

Epic High Five posted:

If you vape for anything other than marijuana you deserve what you get

You're siding with Grover Norquist if you do this apparently, and when you're doing that it's time to sit down and soberly assess where you went wrong

People who vape tobacco are literally the worst. They constantly try to do it indoors in no-smoking establishments because "I'm not smoking, it's different."

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Mitt Romney posted:

It would be funny if the most crazy GOP primary in a long time resulted in the most electable candidate being nominated (Kasich).

I think that kind of makes perfect sense. After all this chaos Kasich is very appealing.

Also according to the new ARG poll Kasich is #2 in SC right now:
http://americanresearchgroup.com/pres2016/primary/rep/screp.html

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Trump getting booed isn't going to be a big deal in the end. He got booed, called the audience a bunch of donor losers, and then Rubio used the same defense later when he got booed. Cruz got booed as well. I think Bush and maybe Kaisch (and sleepy Ben) didn't get booed.

Rubio sounded like he rehearsed his closing statement for hours.

Youth Decay posted:

Rubio accused Cruz of not knowing Spanish, Cruz responded by yelling at him in Spanish.

This was one of my favorite things ever. I really have to wonder if Rubio knew Cruz actually can speak Spanish and just wanted to get Cruz, on national TV in front of millions of right wing assholes, to speak Spanish.

I just can't imagine Rubio actually thought that Cruz wouldn't know how to speak Spanish. I have no idea what Cruz said to him in Spanish but I'd be surprised if it was polite given his tone.

As good as that exchange was I don't think anything can top Trump's very clear "Bush lied about WMDs, destabilized the Middle East, and failed to keep us safe which is why 9/11 happened" stuff. Jeb has to have at least one adviser that's been telling him to not get drawn in to any "my brother kept us safe" arguments. If Trump makes it to the general and faces Clinton he's going to be able to savage her repeatedly on Iraq and the Middle East.

I know Gawker is little more than a tabloid but "Bush lied, People died" = Truther is lazy bullshit even by their already low standards. gently caress Gawker and their clickbait writers.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Cruz speaking Spanish was a master stroke by Rubio...

Cruz had a great first half since he didn't get involved in any scraps, in the second half he sort of fell apart and Trump kept stomping.

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES
Cruz used the Trump line of "well they are donors" when he got booed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.
The real jawdropper is going to be when Trump tricks Cruz into speaking French.

• Locked thread