Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

EVGA Longoria posted:

Alright, I'm going to do something dumb. I'm getting my Conquest cards Monday. And there's a GNK Monday night. So I'm going to get my cards, sleeve up a deck and play.

What's a good, simple deck I can pick up and play with? I've played a couple rounds on OCTGN and I have a feel for the rules, just want something simple and straightforward I don't have to practice beforehand.

A Cato Sicarius Space Marine deck is both straightforward and strong. Splash in some IG and you should be set

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

Even without the events of forty years ago, I think man would still be a creature that fears the dark.
Conquest rules, I certainly hope they don't cancel it anytime soon. The Planetfall cycle has been really exciting (I think Boundless Hate was the best pack ever) and has shaken up the meta a lot, so I'm excited to see where things will go from here.

The most obvious LCG to cancel would probably be Star Wars IMO - the game is more or less an alpha version of Conquest - but I suspect the strength of the license alone means that if they did cancel SWLCG there would be another Star Wars card game waiting in the wings shortly afterwards, which doesn't really help if they're in fact trying to restrict the overall number of LCG games that they have out at a time. I haven't heard the interviews or statements alluded to earlier about this, though. Is there a source on the "we think the market is saturated and will cancel an LCG to make room for L5R" claim, or is it just speculation?

Fetterkey fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Feb 14, 2016

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?
Pretty sure it's all hearsay, none of the current LCGs are doing anywhere near as poorly as CoC or Warhammer: Invasion were, so there's not a whole lot of incentive for FFG to cull further. Dropping those two was the cull already.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Fetterkey posted:

Conquest rules, I certainly hope they don't cancel it anytime soon. The Planetfall cycle has been really exciting (I think Boundless Hate was the best pack ever) and has shaken up the meta a lot, so I'm excited to see where things will go from here.

The most obvious LCG to cancel would probably be Star Wars IMO - the game is more or less an alpha version of Conquest - but I suspect the strength of the license alone means that if they did cancel SWLCG there would be another Star Wars card game waiting in the wings shortly afterwards, which doesn't really help if they're in fact trying to restrict the overall number of LCG games that they have out at a time. I haven't heard the interviews or statements alluded to earlier about this, though. Is there a source on the "we think the market is saturated and will cancel an LCG to make room for L5R" claim, or is it just speculation?

No we're just speculating what would be next. As pointed out, they already canned two to make room for Conquest and Lot5R.

MisterShine
Feb 21, 2006

EVGA Longoria posted:

Alright, I'm going to do something dumb. I'm getting my Conquest cards Monday. And there's a GNK Monday night. So I'm going to get my cards, sleeve up a deck and play.

What's a good, simple deck I can pick up and play with? I've played a couple rounds on OCTGN and I have a feel for the rules, just want something simple and straightforward I don't have to practice beforehand.

A core? Three cores? Any war packs?

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

MisterShine posted:

A core? Three cores? Any war packs?

Everything. Friend is dropping out because he doesn't have time for it anymore so I'm picking everything up for $90.

TheHoosier posted:

A Cato Sicarius Space Marine deck is both straightforward and strong. Splash in some IG and you should be set

Thanks, any suggested lists? CardGameDB and ConquestDB don't seem to have a Hall of Fame or anything similar to make it easy to find good decks.

EVGA Longoria fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Feb 14, 2016

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

I played three games of Conquest yesterday and it was swingy as hell with 6 different decks. Is this game good with tournament quality decks, or is it swingy too?

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

EVGA Longoria posted:

Everything. Friend is dropping out because he doesn't have time for it anymore so I'm picking everything up for $90.

Thanks, any suggested lists? CardGameDB and ConquestDB don't seem to have a Hall of Fame or anything similar to make it easy to find good decks.

http://www.cardgamedb.com/index.php...iking-deck-r457

Guy claims he went 7-1 with this. Its SM/Tau. Looks strong to me. CardgameDB has articles on deckbuilding, as well

TheHoosier fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Feb 15, 2016

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

Even without the events of forty years ago, I think man would still be a creature that fears the dark.

djfooboo posted:

I played three games of Conquest yesterday and it was swingy as hell with 6 different decks. Is this game good with tournament quality decks, or is it swingy too?

Not sure what decks you were using, but tournament quality decks are way more consistent than starter/one-core decks. FFG went the "lots of variety but few duplicates" option with their core set, which ends up leading to some pretty inconsistent decks.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

TheHoosier posted:

http://www.cardgamedb.com/index.php...iking-deck-r457

Guy claims he went 7-1 with this. Its SM/Tau. Looks strong to me. CardgameDB has articles on deckbuilding, as well

Has anyone actually used the Nocturne Ultima Storm Bolter? I think every time I see it come into play, whatever unit had it (Blood Angel Veterans) either dies or somehow gets controlled (Archon's Terror, Eldorath exhaust, etc.) until it dies. 3 resources is a lot of investment into something, vs. the 1 for Ion Rifle that has a really frightening benefit. 6 ATK Blood Angel Veterans loving suck! Similarly, I'm not sure if Iron Halo is just a consolation prize/2 shields when compared against the Tal Blade.

I'm not sure how I feel about a deck that has a bunch of cards for the explicit purpose of them being used as 2 shields, which is sorta the impression I get here. I might also throw in a couple Elite units. Firedrake Terminators seem to be the best one for Space Marines.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

GrandpaPants posted:

Has anyone actually used the Nocturne Ultima Storm Bolter? I think every time I see it come into play, whatever unit had it (Blood Angel Veterans) either dies or somehow gets controlled (Archon's Terror, Eldorath exhaust, etc.) until it dies. 3 resources is a lot of investment into something, vs. the 1 for Ion Rifle that has a really frightening benefit. 6 ATK Blood Angel Veterans loving suck! Similarly, I'm not sure if Iron Halo is just a consolation prize/2 shields when compared against the Tal Blade.

I'm not sure how I feel about a deck that has a bunch of cards for the explicit purpose of them being used as 2 shields, which is sorta the impression I get here. I might also throw in a couple Elite units. Firedrake Terminators seem to be the best one for Space Marines.

Yeah i'd ditch the Storm Bolters for FD Terminators for sure. Yeah they seem to be for shields since the Events are more crucial

nyxnyxnyx
Jun 24, 2013
2-Shields are OP, never let anyone tell you otherwise.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Do you deal a feinted enemy a shadow card and it stays there?

Does the Power of Mordor count itself?

Baron Porkface fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Feb 15, 2016

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Feint - yeah deal it a shados card at the start of phase since feint happens after dealing cards. Then discard it whenever but officially discard at the end of the phase.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Power of Mordor - i would say no, dont count it. I think you're supposed to end up with the same amount of cards as before you drew power of mordor. But its lotr lcg so if you do what's worst for the player then it's probably correct.

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

The Codex kickstarter has been progressing well and just hit the stretch goals where the Deluxe set includes the white and purple factions, for those who were speculating about this earlier.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Single Tight Female posted:

Balls! I knew I meant to do something when I got back. Uh I just turned on the thingy that lets users email you if you want to do that. I've never needed PMs before so gonna save the :10bux:
Don't worry - I was going to ask if I could buy that spare copy of The Black Riders you said you had, but FFG have it listed as "shipping now", so not to worry :)

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Amoeba102 posted:

Feint - yeah deal it a shados card at the start of phase since feint happens after dealing cards. Then discard it whenever but officially discard at the end of the phase.

End of phase? Why? Is it resolved?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Fetterkey posted:

The Codex kickstarter has been progressing well and just hit the stretch goals where the Deluxe set includes the white and purple factions, for those who were speculating about this earlier.

I just noticed one of the characters is named "Jaina Stormborne" :lol: gently caress off David Sirlin, maybe kickstart some originality.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Baron Porkface posted:

End of phase? Why? Is it resolved?

The end of the combat phase. The enemy doesn't attack so the shadow card never resolves, it is just discarded. This helps thin the encounter deck just a little so you might dodge a bad card if you're lucky.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

I dont think thats true, Carn Dum relies on shadow cards being piled up.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Baron Porkface posted:

I dont think thats true, Carn Dum relies on shadow cards being piled up.

Because that's a special quest effect. Normally you'd discard shadow cards at the end of the combat phase.

The Clutches of Carn Dûm
Type:
Quest
Encounter:
the Battle of Carn Dûm
Quest Points:
Card Text:
Setup: Add Thaurdir to the staging area, Captain side faceup. Add 1 copy of Carn Dûm Garrison per player to the staging area. Search the encounter deck for 1 copy of Accursed Battlefield and make it the active location. Shuffle the encounter deck.

Thaurdir cannot leave the staging area and cannot take damage. At the end of the round, if Thaurdir is Champion side faceup, flip him.
Do not discard unresolved shadow cards at the end of the combat phase.
Forced: If there are 3 shadow cards dealt to Thaurdir, flip him.

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

Bottom Liner posted:

I just noticed one of the characters is named "Jaina Stormborne" :lol: gently caress off David Sirlin, maybe kickstart some originality.

Codex is in large part inspired by Warcraft III and Starcraft, and as such has a bunch of references to and inside jokes about those games. I don't see the problem?

Fetterkey fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Feb 16, 2016

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I'm on mobile, but Ser Gregor Clegane has been spoiled and drat :stare:

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Everything's been spoiled for King's Peace. And yeah, drat.

https://boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/41894/game-thrones-second-edition-lcg-spoilers

Edit: Oh I guess it's missing a Greyjoy card.

Also is it just me or does Tyrell not have anything particularly exciting coming in?

GrandpaPants fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Feb 18, 2016

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Bottom Liner posted:

I'm on mobile, but Ser Gregor Clegane has been spoiled and drat :stare:

I'm on mobile too and it ain't that hard to grab a pic or link.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Also there's apparently rumor that Valar Morghulis is coming back. That would be...interesting.

MisterShine
Feb 21, 2006

Not so much a rumour as one of the devs saying it is at some point in the future

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

PaybackJack posted:

Imgur doesn't work for me and I don't have the app.

What I really like about Lannister now is the ability to build heavy military or intrigue (or a mix) with the bankroll to support either really well, along with the accompanying events, etc. So many big threats and unique effects.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

PaybackJack posted:

Yeah, I'm going Lannister as my main deck when I get a hold of this... :stare:

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

I'm excited about some of the future Night's Watch spoilers. Ser Aliser Thorne should help alleviate the current mil icon issue. There's a new Weapon coming out for them as well, and an awesome plot.

But gently caress, man. Lannister doesn't need anymore help

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

GrandpaPants posted:

Also there's apparently rumor that Valar Morghulis is coming back. That would be...interesting.

MisterShine posted:

Not so much a rumour as one of the devs saying it is at some point in the future

I thought it had been said that Valar Morghulis itself wouldn't be coming back, but similar effects. Things like Varys, from my understanding.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

GrandpaPants posted:

Also is it just me or does Tyrell not have anything particularly exciting coming in?

It's just you. Both Ser Hobber and Mare in Heat are excellent. Why yes, I would like to tutor up Margaery/Sansa/Daenerys/Arianne/Melisandre/Catelyn/Asha, thank you. Mare in Heat is going to be really great on The Knight of Flowers, and will also be useful for shenanigans on others, like Arbor Knight.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Taran_Wanderer posted:

I thought it had been said that Valar Morghulis itself wouldn't be coming back, but similar effects. Things like Varys, from my understanding.

That was the original statement, but this week one of the devs specifically mentioned VM being brought in to 2.0. I think as long as it stays 2/0/0/4 then it would be a great addition to the game, as it's already really hard to recover from a behind position and more removal and board wipe options are usually healthy in card games. My friends and I are going to proxy it this weekend and see how it plays out.

Not Keyser Soze
Mar 7, 2007

Endless Celestial Sex
I think people are being blinded by the number 10 on the Mountain's card. I'm having trouble seeing how he doesn't just ruin your economy curve while accomplishing very little.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Kingsroad/Noble Cause that bad boy Actually that's awful and you shouldn't do that with anyone not named Twyin, Jaime, or Tyrion in Lannister. Still, would be hilarious

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

The Mountain is basically a beefed up The Tickler. He and the Hound should be mutually exclusive though.

But yeah, high military units are kinda not good,but at least he has a pretty reliable Renown proc.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Not that you can't just Tears him of course, but Tywin/Jaime Mil having Renown as well? And the gold gen with deck-staple Tyrion?

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

TheHoosier posted:

Not that you can't just Tears him of course, but Tywin/Jaime Mil having Renown as well? And the gold gen with deck-staple Tyrion?

More renown is never a bad thing. If there's any faction that has the tools to keep him alive, it's Lannister. I look forward to seeing what nonsense people will pull off with him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Put to the Sword being an almost given every time with Gregor is also A Thing.