Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cangelosi
Nov 17, 2004

"It's cute," he said to himself warily, "but it's not normal."

Kadorhal posted:

Also, on the coincidences me never shutting up about Infinity front, for this month they're rerunning sets of old challenges to get Ace Combat Zero paint schemes. Sortie with certain craft or use certain weapons or whatever and you can get the Gault and Sorcerer paint schemes (there's actually a third but I haven't actually gone for any of them yet so I don't remember, might be Wizard's F-16XL).

Course I don't care about that cause they're also dropping Idolmaster planes and I need me a Chihaya Eagle to turn it into a 4AGM-spewing monstrosity.

I think the Wizard paint scheme is available for both the F-16XL and the Black Widow II. The latter might have been a lucky drop, but I'm not sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

I have to wonder, did any of the Ace Combats have the F-19 (which was the curved wing plane that the media speculated about while the F-117 was being developed, if memory serves). Or had tghe F-117 already dropped so the magic was gone?

Because gently caress it, if they're going to put test beds in as squadron or production aircraft, why not?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Veloxyll posted:

I have to wonder, did any of the Ace Combats have the F-19 (which was the curved wing plane that the media speculated about while the F-117 was being developed, if memory serves). Or had tghe F-117 already dropped so the magic was gone?

Because gently caress it, if they're going to put test beds in as squadron or production aircraft, why not?

The F-117 was public knowledge by the time the series began, yes. Ace Combat, to its credit, has largely stayed away from the oogie boogie speculative fighters. The only two exceptions I know of are the Aurora in Electrosphere (the speculative SR-71 replacement that never materialized), and the FB-22 Strike Raptor, which was proposed as a fighter bomber variant of the F/A-22, but spiked by the USAF before a single plane was ever built.

I'm still kind of peeved though that PA's love for test planes and prototypes only covers America and Europe, because I would kill to see the Avro Arrow in an Ace Combat game :canada:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
I think it's a market-driven decision if anything but I agree, I'd love to see more non-American and non-Russian planes make it in, prototype, production, you name it. The entire UK aviation industry produced some wild-looking aircraft that would be totally fine aesthetically in Ace Combat, much less stuff like an Arrow. You get your token Saab product and a Harrier maybe and then ...meh.

also older jets but I think we've discussed Ace Combat: Area 88 Edition being probably the best game ever made which is why it'll never happen.

e: vvv same

Psion fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Feb 13, 2016

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

I'd love to see the English Electric Lightning in AC7 but I know it's just not going to happen.

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

I really want some Chinese jets in the games at least for more variety.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

nine-gear crow posted:

The F-117 was public knowledge by the time the series began, yes. Ace Combat, to its credit, has largely stayed away from the oogie boogie speculative fighters. The only two exceptions I know of are the Aurora in Electrosphere (the speculative SR-71 replacement that never materialized), and the FB-22 Strike Raptor, which was proposed as a fighter bomber variant of the F/A-22, but spiked by the USAF before a single plane was ever built.

I'm still kind of peeved though that PA's love for test planes and prototypes only covers America and Europe, because I would kill to see the Avro Arrow in an Ace Combat game :canada:

Meanwhile HAWX 1 didn't give two shits about that and just went full bore with mostly useless aircraft.
Amongst the aircraft available were:
A-12 Avenger II - A prototype US Navy stealth strike aircraft that went nowhere if I recall right.
SR-71 Blackbird - Yes, this thing was flyable in this game.
YF-21A - The prototype precursor to the SR-71.
YF-17 Cobra - The plane that later became the F-18.
F-18 HARV - Which was a NASA research jet in the 80's and 90's.
F-18 RC - Recon variant of the 18D Hornet. Odd choice when both the F-18C and the F/A-18 Super Hornet are already available to you.
FB-22 Strike Raptor - Pretty much the best attacker in the game if the stats are to be believed.
Mig-MFI - Also known as Mikoyan Project 1.44.
Mirage 4000 - Prototype upgrade for the Mirage 2000 built in the 1980s, only one prototype ever built.
RF-15 Peak Eagle - Apparently a recon variant of the F-15C. Only reference I can find of this though is via a Tom Clancy wiki as the normal wiki is mum about it.

It also featured the F-15 S/MTD as the F-15 ACTIVE, the YF-23 as the Black Widow II, the X-29 and the SU-47.
The strangest choice of plane was probably the XA-20 Razorback, which apparently was a plane featured in EndWar. And still got beaten by the F-22 in terms of stats according to the hangar listing. :v: (According to a wiki I found it comes equipped with two GAU-8s even.)
Funny enough the last plane you unlocked at level 39 was the Rafale M, which is the carrier based version of it. I'm not sure if that is them running out of ideas or just French bias.

It also was a bit of a dick where certain plains had zero special features, even advanced versions of other planes. The F-14D Super Tomcat for instance had no special features what so ever while the other two variants did.

Otherwise the available aircraft for HAWX1 is a somewhat weird choice since they mix freely with both modern and a bunch of mid to late cold war jets.

I will however leave you with this gem:

"Tom Clancy Wiki posted:

The FB-22 (sometimes known as the Strike Raptor[2]) is an incredible plane. Designed to replace the F-15E Strike Eagle, it has a delta wing and a longer fuselage and better range than its air-superiority version, the F-22 Raptor. It is designed so that it can carry more ordnance in a stealth ordnance pod, allowing it to have a bigger payload while keeping its stealth. However, despite its capabilities, it was cancelled in 2006 in favor of a bomber with a longer range. However, if developed, it would be a competitor to the A-20 Razorback and the YF-23 Black Widow II.

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

Wait was the SR-71 only in some special recon stealth mission or could it actually conduct combat operations?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Psion posted:

I think it's a market-driven decision if anything but I agree, I'd love to see more non-American and non-Russian planes make it in, prototype, production, you name it.

It's also an issue of licensing too. Just about every modern AC game starts with one, if not multiple screens of copyright information sucking off the big defense contractors like Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Dassault, et al. for letting them use their actual planes rather than come up with weird knock offs like some other budget flight sims are forced to do. There's probably some planes they just can't get the rights to use. I can imagine that's why there's no Chinese planes in the games.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

I thought I was an Ace Combat fan but some of the poo poo you're digging up in the ancillary posts is impressive, crow. Keep it up.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Dreamsicle posted:

Wait was the SR-71 only in some special recon stealth mission or could it actually conduct combat operations?
Unarmed reconnaissance only.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Okay, so:

:siren::siren::siren: A U D I E N C E | P A R T I C I P A T I O N | T I M E :siren::siren::siren:

Since we're fast approaching the end of the LP; I'm hoping to have the final mission and accompanying videos up by next Saturday, assuming I can pin Blind Sally down for one final recording session before then; I would like to take stock of things in preparation for the upcoming post-mortem loving around video.

With that, I'm asking: What would you like to see me show off / do in Ace Combat Zero that you haven't seen yet (to the best of my abilities)? And please, no bullshit "UGB a plane huuurrr :downs:" requests.

Here's what I'm already planning to show off just to give you some ideas:

• All planes in flight at least once
  • All paint schemes in action
  • All cockpit views
  • All special weapons in action
  • All 3 secret planes
  • A write up on the scrapped 4th secret plane
  • Free Flight mode for certain missions
  • Codebreaker cheat codes and what they do
  • Special unlocks for S-ranking all Ace missions
  • Dialog differences between Ace styles and player determined events

Etc., etc.

So think about it and post your requests in the thread and I will try to work them in to the video(s).

Beyond that, once I finish with Zero, I will be taking a short break before starting Ace Combat 2, probably like 2 to 3 weeks, primarily to 1) actually play through 2 completely so I'm not making a blind rear end out of myself trying to LP it, 2) give Lunethex and ACES some breathing time to finish Electrosphere and Mercenary Mode, and 3) just relax and maybe read a drat book or something, I dunno.

If anyone also feels like bravely jumping in and doing a Soldier run through the game just to complete the Ace Style trifecta, I'm not opposed to that either. I will leave the thread open for as long as it takes for Lune and ACES to finish up their work, but just be forewarned that AC2 (and all other games from here out) will have its own thread separate from this one. I'll put the link to the new thread in this topic when it goes live and just in case when I close the this thread I will also make sure to link to the AC2 thread in the final post.

Thank you all for your time.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
It's going to take more than a few weeks to finish Electrosphere let me tell you.

Well...ok to be fair if I wasn't lazy I could sit down a few days, get it all hammered out and there you go. But my XCOM :qq:

In all seriousness I did record the last of UPEO.

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

radintorov posted:

Unarmed reconnaissance only.

I mean in HAWX.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Well I wouldn't mind if somebody finished the last boss with guns only because it's quite entertaining to do (and fits the game's motifs better than missiles). It hasn't even got to be in ace difficulty.

VKing
Apr 22, 2008
Complete any mission on Ace difficulty.

Alternatively, complete the Excalibur mission where you're only allowed to use missiles against planes.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Dreamsicle posted:

I mean in HAWX.
Ah, sorry. :downs:
No, in HAWX it's basically a plane like any other except maybe its top speed is slightly higher than usual.
Not that it's easy to tell given how Flight Assist On flight works in that game. (ie: not very well :v: )

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

nine-gear crow posted:

With that, I'm asking: What would you like to see me show off / do in Ace Combat Zero that you haven't seen yet (to the best of my abilities)? And please, no bullshit "UGB a plane huuurrr :downs:" requests.

Ace Combat Zero has multiplayer that I used to play with my brother quite a bit. Maybe you could show that?

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

Do you plan on showing off the Gauntlet, Crow? That might be worth bringing up (and it'd be the best place to show off the bonus planes).

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

Okay, so:

:siren::siren::siren: A U D I E N C E | P A R T I C I P A T I O N | T I M E :siren::siren::siren:

Since we're fast approaching the end of the LP; I'm hoping to have the final mission and accompanying videos up by next Saturday, assuming I can pin Blind Sally down for one final recording session before then; I would like to take stock of things in preparation for the upcoming post-mortem loving around video.

Here's what I'm already planning to show off just to give you some ideas:

• All planes in flight at least once
  • All paint schemes in action
  • All cockpit views
  • All special weapons in action
  • All 3 secret planes
  • A write up on the scrapped 4th secret plane
  • Free Flight mode for certain missions
  • Codebreaker cheat codes and what they do
  • Special unlocks for S-ranking all Ace missions
  • Dialog differences between Ace styles and player determined events

Etc., etc.

So think about it and post your requests in the thread and I will try to work them in to the video(s).

Beyond that, once I finish with Zero, I will be taking a short break before starting Ace Combat 2, probably like 2 to 3 weeks, primarily to 1) actually play through 2 completely so I'm not making a blind rear end out of myself trying to LP it, 2) give Lunethex and ACES some breathing time to finish Electrosphere and Mercenary Mode, and 3) just relax and maybe read a drat book or something, I dunno.

If anyone also feels like bravely jumping in and doing a Soldier run through the game just to complete the Ace Style trifecta, I'm not opposed to that either. I will leave the thread open for as long as it takes for Lune and ACES to finish up their work, but just be forewarned that AC2 (and all other games from here out) will have its own thread separate from this one. I'll put the link to the new thread in this topic when it goes live and just in case when I close the this thread I will also make sure to link to the AC2 thread in the final post.

Thank you all for your time.

Secret and super planes
Gauntlet Ace Run (with special boss)
Full motion video sequence starring you
Use an unguided bomb

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I've actually done The Gauntlet on Ace for crow, and once I get the rest of my poo poo up to date (I have everything recorded, and like five vids with commentary sitting in :effort: limbo), I'll have him post it.

So don't worry, you'll at least get to see that.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:
Use a fighter with EW.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

IronSaber posted:

Use a fighter with EW.

One of the secret planes has it as a subweapon, and it's also the worst subweapon because it's loving BORING compared to the other two.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

nine-gear crow posted:

Whatever else you do? Fly the first mission in the most overpowered plane in the game.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

nine-gear crow posted:

Do the final mission in the Mig-21bis. :colbert:

I would suggest doing it in the A-10, but I already did it and the Mig-21 is one of the few planes I didn't try to use for that. :v:

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

UGB a carrier.

It's practically a plane! But it's on the ground ocean!

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Redo the entire LP using only the F-35 while pretending it's a good plane.

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

Play Mayhem again in a J-35, guns only.

Artificial Beats
Jan 15, 2016

Finish the final two missions using the [INFORMATION REDACTED].

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Are you mad? We can't use [INFORMATION REDACTED]! It doesn't even have legs yet!

Artificial Beats
Jan 15, 2016

I figured it'd be a good way to give a certain someone a taste of their own medicine after a (presumably) canon Cipher victory. Also because it just wrecks the penultimate mission, which really isn't a fun ride when using the F-15C or any other mid-level to entry-level planes.

Speaking of which, I'll also throw in a challenge/request for re-finishing the final mission on any difficulty using the F-15C in its "true" SP paint scheme. I'm not referring to the tiger-stripe one, if that helps.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

PoptartsNinja posted:

Whatever else you do? Fly the first mission in the most overpowered plane in the game.
This. I want to see just how much the difficulty ramps up over time, and how much you can punch the game in the dick by going back with better stuff.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

radintorov posted:

Do the final mission in the Mig-21bis. :colbert:

Winner! :circlefap:

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Shei-kun posted:

This. I want to see just how much the difficulty ramps up over time, and how much you can punch the game in the dick by going back with better stuff.

The most overpowered plane makes just about every mission a joke.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Alright, so far I have:

• Beat the final boss with guns only (SIGSEGV)
  • Complete any mission on Ace difficulty (VKing)
  • Do Sword of Annihilation with missiles only (VKing)
  • Show of Ace Combat Zero's multiplayer (MegaZeroX)
  • Show off the Gauntlet (Dr. Snark) - ACES is handling this one
  • Full motion video sequence starring nine-gear crow (Nanomashoes) :fuckoff:
  • Show off Electronic Warefare special weapons (IronSaber) - covered under "Show off all special weapons"
  • Do Glacial Skies with the most OP plane in the game (PoptartsNinja)
  • Beat the final mission with a MiG-21bis (radintorov)
  • UGB a carrier (Veloxyll)
  • Pretend the F-35 is a good plane (Nanomashoes)
  • Do Mayhem with guns only in the J35J Draken (Dreamsicle)
  • Beat the final boss at his own game (Artificial Beats) :getin:

That's probably closing in an hour's worth of content, so I'm going to split the update into two videos: the stuff I was going to show off anyway, and then the viewer request stuff. So if anyone else wants to see anything, keep the requests coming.

Edit: of the lot of them, the only one I can't promise I'll deliver on is Mayhem (Guns Only), just because it's a huge enemy-heavy mission, I suck at gun kills, and it has the potential to turn into a bore with how long its going to be. Be prepared for corner cutting and loophole abuse, is all I'm saying :ssh:

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Feb 14, 2016

YOTC
Nov 18, 2005
Damn stupid newbie
I'll add in : best the final boss with a FAB .

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

Look, just sign the stupid petition. I've got stuff to do.

Veloxyll posted:

UGB a carrier.

It's practically a plane! But it's on the ground ocean!

My suggestion is basically this, but use guns instead.

Preferably destroy it in one pass, too.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

I'm developing an aggravation for the endgames of Ace Combat 3 because all the battles eventually boil down to luck and the game is cheating so massively for the AI planes and it's all down to the way they fire missiles. I plan on going over it in the video but it's like the biggest heap of bullshit ever that I have to say something about it now. Basically if you get a missile fired at you, you can't do anything about it. You're totally hosed, because the way it tracks you is it knows exactly where you're going and where to hit you center mass. It literally trails alongside your plane until it can slam into the middle of it. No matter what kind of turns you do, no matter how you fly, if you get shot at, it's game over and it royally pissed me off when I recorded the General Resource route. The only way to win is to not get shot at which means watching the wolfpack of planes surrounding you and making sure nobody is coming in at you from a particular but recognizable angle, because when they do they will always shoot and always hit. Oh and you'll waste like 10 missiles per enemy plane sometimes because they can dodge everything in ways you should be able to but can't. It puts the QAAMs of AC4 to shame. Oh and the missiles always fly faster than you. I get a plane that can go over Mach 4 and it happened.

So imagine all this surrounded by 8 planes all out for your rear end.

Also there's literally roving gangs of warplanes that when shot at disperse and engage as normal but even when not engaged they still fly around in perfect formation and will do the above. And to feed my pride for A ranks, you have to win under a timer in the next UPEO mission. When I made the first recording of it I did so well I thought I instinctively got past the difficulty of it. Then I got a B rank because of the timer. Then I died about 30 times off camera learning exactly how all this stuff I just typed up works to get the A rank.

Basically to sum it all up: :suicide:

Lunethex fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Feb 14, 2016

Skwerl
Sep 3, 2006
damn kids...
Actually, I think a while ago I thought I saw someone literally downed acz's final boss fight with UGB.

The same was also doable in Assault Horizon as well...

Edit: I found the ACZ ugb clearing on youtube. SPOILER WARNING!!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9hCUb9-zwo

Skwerl fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Feb 14, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElTipejoLoco
Feb 27, 2013

Let me fix your avisynth scripts! It'll only take me a couple horus.
Can you catch up to and shoot down Pixy after he defects using a sufficiently overpowered plane or cheats?

• Locked thread