Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dex
May 26, 2006

Quintuple x!!!

Would not escrow again.

VERY MISLEADING!
the onion sum it up pretty well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

FTFY. I love the photo they chose to use. He looks exactly like the sort of person who would say the poo poo he said.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

Samfucius posted:

If Obama can't appoint anyone, the next Dem (assuming they win) should appoint Obama.

I dream about this very thing. It would be the biggest middle finger to the GOP :allears:

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Happy Landfill posted:

I dream about this very thing. It would be the biggest middle finger to the GOP :allears:

This is already a developing conspiracy theory in the FoxNews commenting community. I had to go there to read comments on Scalia's passing.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Is Obama even qualified for the job? Don't you have to be some sort of mega-lawyer turned judge?

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Baronjutter posted:

Is Obama even qualified for the job? Don't you have to be some sort of mega-lawyer turned judge?
Technically, you don't even have to have a GED to get appointed to any bench.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

Baronjutter posted:

He was a constitutional law professor so there's that

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

TotalLossBrain posted:

This is already a developing conspiracy theory in the FoxNews commenting community. I had to go there to read comments on Scalia's passing.

foxnews for some reason is my go-to news site but i don't see any comments there anymore, is there a secret comment area?

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

TotalLossBrain posted:

I will pass on reading Fox News comments while still hoping beyond hope that this comes to pass.

Also, how likely is it that they will hold up a new appointment until next year?

Edit: Are they even allowed to do that?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Obama is one of the poorer Presidents in recent times (Clintons might have had less money due to legal costs). There's no way Obama goes from one government paycheck to another one without years of speaking fees in between.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Somfin posted:

All you need to know about Scalia is that he cited 24 as a reason that torture should be legal.

Jack Bauer did nothing wrong.

Muffin Rhino
Dec 31, 2006

I am SO gay for Doctor Cox.
saw this on a facebook post about Scalia kicking the bucket:

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

im pooping! posted:

foxnews for some reason is my go-to news site but i don't see any comments there anymore, is there a secret comment area?

They're at the bottom of the article if enabled. A lot of articles don't have comments enabled for some reason.

quote:

Also, how likely is it that they will hold up a new appointment until next year?

Considering that the longest nomination to date has taken 121 days, not very. The timing is juicy and perfect for a nice cherry on top of the presidential election.
The fact that it's Scalia is just magic.

TotalLossBrain has a new favorite as of 03:59 on Feb 14, 2016

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

TotalLossBrain posted:

They're at the bottom of the article if enabled. A lot of articles don't have comments enabled for some reason.

Because the people who read Fox are such bigoted pieces of poo poo, even Fox doesn't want to have to deal with them.

Also - plausible deniability.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Samfucius posted:

If Obama can't appoint anyone, the next Dem (assuming they win) should appoint Obama.

Hahahaha, holy poo poo. Two weeks ago one of the dudes I work with was explaining to me how Hillary should be in prison because of emails and also how it was awful that she had promised to appoint Obama as a supreme court justice in the event of her election and an open slot on the bench. My immediate thoughts were that it would be pretty funny if both he and Scalia wound up on the Court at the same time. So much for that.

Also he explained to me the image posted several pages back, the juxtaposed empty fridge of The Working Man and the stuffed-completely-full-including-poo poo-that-doesn't-need-to-be-cold fridge of The Evil Poor. When I tried to point out to him that if this was possible he should probably be doing it (as a twentysomething with a kid, another kid due within the month, and who makes occasional comments about not being sure if he can cover bills) instead of making an almost-living wage as a machinist, he scoffed uncomfortably but managed to continue to insist that he had 'done research on this poo poo' and seen what food stamps can get you. Pretty sure that fridge is like three months' worth of food stamps for a family of our.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Come to think of it, Obama is roughly as qualified for the SCOTUS as Elana Kagan is/was. The precedent for appointing former presidents to the bench is htere (Howard Taft, who famously loved being in the SCOUTS far more than being president), plus, you can't really argue that Obama doesn't understand the law - he literally spent 8 years implementing it.

Fingers crossed that the next 10 months mobilize the democratic party base. I registered to vote the day before Scalia died, and now it seems, It wasn't such a bad idea.

Bumblefuck!
Jan 20, 2007

Foxhound posted:

Someone do a quick summary on this guy for non-US goons?

“Mere factual innocence is no reason not to carry out a death sentence properly reached.” - a real thing an influential member of the highest court in the goddamn country actually said and believed

Bumblefuck! has a new favorite as of 05:11 on Feb 14, 2016

Gross Dude
Feb 5, 2007

Gross Dude

Bumblefuck! posted:

“Mere factual innocence is no reason not to carry out a death sentence properly reached.” - a real thing an influential member of the highest court in the goddamn country actually said and believed

Actually, no.

http://news.lawreader.com/2008/08/30/barry-miller-widely-published-scalia-quote-re-innocense-is-inaccurate-we-have-to-agree/

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Ah, I see, he merely pointed out that, by going out of our way to ensure that every possible precaution is taken in order that our criminal justice system imprisons the minimum number of actually-innocent convicts, it might make a lot of work for the courts because obviously all of those assholes are going to try everything they can to not be locked in prison.

Gross Dude
Feb 5, 2007

Gross Dude
I think that if someone is as big a dick as Scalia, we don't need to make up quotes.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

This was a favorite of mine

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

lmao

for context apparently he thought he was buying another exclusive album like the wu tang one. guess not!

Bumblefuck!
Jan 20, 2007

Fair enough. Hadn't seen that. There's plenty of genuine awful poo poo out there to choose from, anyway.

My point is, he was a grotesque, fleshy garbage bag of bigotry and hatred with legal authority, and I'm certainly not sad that he's dead.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Enourmo posted:

lmao

for context apparently he thought he was buying another exclusive album like the wu tang one. guess not!

He's definitely joking. Just said he's putting up a Gofundme tomorrow.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Enourmo posted:

lmao

Good lord you're dense

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUChQtZ07T8

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

What's the ethnic slur for French Canadians? I need to know it.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

It's not cool to shame RAV4 owners just because they can't afford an actual car.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Groda posted:

What's the ethnic slur for French Canadians? I need to know it.

Québécois

Staryberry
Oct 16, 2009
http://i.imgur.com/7cBJ59r.gifv

Doubtful Guest
Jun 23, 2008

Meanwhile, Conradin made himself another piece of toazzzzzzt.

Apparently, I used to do a similar thing as a child by rushing to the door to look through the letterbox at the postman. I am possibly half Labrador.

DavidAlltheTime
Feb 14, 2008

All David...all the TIME!

Just because we can't understand our pet's emotions doesn't mean it's okay to terrorize them.
I'm so sick of these 'hilarious' planks we play on animals for internet jollies.
The cucumber thing was awful, not funny. How is it funny to see the pet you supposedly love frightened to death??
/rant

If you need me, I'll be in PI, I guess..

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

DavidAlltheTime posted:

Just because we can't understand our pet's emotions doesn't mean it's okay to terrorize them.
I'm so sick of these 'hilarious' planks we play on animals for internet jollies.
The cucumber thing was awful, not funny. How is it funny to see the pet you supposedly love frightened to death??
/rant

You're currently trapped under a plastic bin aren't you

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

SLOSifl posted:

You're currently trapped under a plastic bin aren't you

someone send that man some cucumbers ASAP

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

DavidAlltheTime posted:

/rant

Oh come on man, some cats got scared and jumped because of a cucumber. That poo poo happens all the time. Sans vegetables.

Gross Dude
Feb 5, 2007

Gross Dude
My cat lives in constant fear of everything, so if I end up adding to the giant pile of fear, I'm not really making things any different.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Cats also love to sneak up on and scare each other. ANIMAL CRUELTY

Also, cats are assholes and deserve to be spooked frequently.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Bottom Liner posted:

someone send that man some cucumbers ASAP

Well, it is the day for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

DavidAlltheTime posted:

/rant

So that's your breaking point with this thread, huh.