Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

lmaoboy1998 posted:

If you're incapable of talking to other people, even those who share your overarching ideology but disagree with you on a few of the specifics, then you're probably not cut out for politics or for representing other people's interests generally.

From the top of the page:

[edit] Last page :v: [/edit]

MrL_JaKiri posted:

The argument Tatchell makes - that by sharing a platform she can argue with him - would hold more water if it was a debate or more free form and not a talk with a stated topic. If she appeared and used her speech to criticise Tatchell then that would be the news story, and she'd be vilified for using an unrelated event to criticise Tatchell.

So what should she do? Just shut up and not do anything?

She's choosing not to appear. That's it.

serious gaylord posted:

Theres a lot of whats wrong with student left politics right here in this thread. Look straight away as anything negative is construed as an attack or a threat. Things are gladly misinterpreted for the worst possible outcome just to fit the narrative that's wanted and outright lies are published as truth.

That's what is so hilarious about that link. That one of the greatest gay rights campaigners the UK has seen has been labeled as someone who incites trans phobic violence with utterly no evidence, and when the person who made those claims is called to account for them, they run and hide.

After the first paragraph I thought you were going to go on to support her, not oppose her!

She has chosen not to appear at an event. This has been reported as the NUS "No platforming" Peter Tatchell. That's a massive misinterpretation to fit the narrative that student activists are just a bunch of cry babies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

serious gaylord posted:

Actually the real problem with the left is we're all chewing our knuckles over this and not talking about the fact 260,000 people have signed the petition to get a motion of no confidence in Jeremy Hunt debated in parliament.

Which I signed, even though it completely misses the point that the problem isn't Jeremy Hunt, the problem is that any on-message Tory in his position would have done exactly the same.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

serious gaylord posted:

Actually the real problem with the left is we're all chewing our knuckles over this and not talking about the fact 260,000 people have signed the petition to get a motion of no confidence in Jeremy Hunt debated in parliament.

The second such petition, I believe. The first got roughly the same signatures, but didn't amount to much as they glossed over the no confidence in favour of talking about the contracts last year. It's at least the third time there's been a no confidence for Hunt too - the BMA told parliament they had no confidence in Hunt in 2013.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

serious gaylord posted:

There will be a govt response and that response will be "this is not what e-petitions is for"

hit button
Mar 18, 2012

MrL_JaKiri posted:

This has been reported as the NUS "No platforming" Peter Tatchell. That's a massive misinterpretation to fit the narrative that student activists are just a bunch of cry babies.

Who's reported that the NUS is "No platforming" him? It isn't implied in the Guardian article.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Namtab posted:

There will be a govt response and that response will be "this is not what e-petitions is for"

Pretty much!

Behold the last petition for this exact thing: https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/104334

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
I think we're conflating two seperate things here. As an individual, she is not required to talk to anyone or debate anyone or tolerate anyone she feels holds damaging opinions. She should, you could argue, but that point is she doesn't HAVE to.

However, as the NUS LGBT rep, she is absolutely obligated to do all of those things. She's not just a random woman off the street. Her job is to represent and defend a position in public. This involves discussion and debate with people she may disagree with. To shirk out of that is just intellectual cowardice.

e: Also, the NUS has no official position on him. This is purely her own decision.

e2: And it's not loving 'rape culture' to suggest that her position carries certain obligations. Her gender is completely immaterial.

ThomasPaine fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Feb 14, 2016

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

hit button posted:

Those seem like consistent positions to me, not that there would be anything wrong with changing your mind about something anyway.

Tatchell held the former opinion until at least July last year, and now he's made a complete 180 on the issue.

And despite his fervent belief in the right of Christians to be homophobic, he has a nasty habit of denigrating Muslim homophobes, to the point of hijacking anti-EDL protests. It's almost as if he's being incredibly selective here.

e: By Tatchell's logic, she also No Platformed the National Trans Youth Conference in Birmingham last November by declining an invitation.

She already had a prior commitment to go to another LGBT conference, so she sent me to represent the NUS LGBT Campaign instead.

TinTower fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Feb 14, 2016

hit button
Mar 18, 2012

I'd imagine he still holds the former opinion. It isn't incompatible with the latter.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

hit button posted:

I'd imagine he still holds the former opinion. It isn't incompatible with the latter.

Seeing as the former opinion is in support of the regulations that Ashers are being taken to court over, it kind of is.

hit button
Mar 18, 2012

He is stating why those regulations aren't relevant in this case. The second sentence makes that distinction very plain.

Peter Tatchell posted:

Discrimination against people should be unlawful, but not against ideas.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

If people weren't capable of changing their minds I'd be voting conservative in 2020

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

A business that sells food, which is inherently secular because it's a business, effectively refuses to serve gay people. They claim it's because of their opinion that homosexuality is a sin.

Am I describing Chick-Fil-A or Ashers bakery?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Renaissance Robot posted:

Which I signed, even though it completely misses the point that the problem isn't Jeremy Hunt, the problem is that any on-message Tory in his position would have done exactly the same.

i'm not sure this is true. There was a fairly senior tory who was pretty scathing about Hunt because they'd had a contract agreed with everyone before he became health secretary and he hosed it all up

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

So Hunt has that vote of no confidence thing going on, meanwhile he's still dodging doctors everywhere he goes.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

TinTower posted:

A business that sells food, which is inherently secular because it's a business, effectively refuses to serve gay people. They claim it's because of their opinion that homosexuality is a sin.

It depends on what they're doing, if they're refusing to serve gay people, that's discrimination under any sane law. If they're refusing to make a specific cake then that's not.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

TinTower posted:

Chick fil-a, because ashers did not want to print the message irrespective of who ordered it.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
Has anyone made the Jeremy Hunt Dodging Junior Doctors And/Or The Media Asking Reasonable Questions game yet, it's the story of our times

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

It depends on what they're doing, if they're refusing to serve gay people, that's discrimination under any sane law. If they're refusing to make a specific cake then that's not.

Namtab posted:

Chick fil-a, because ashers did not want to print the message irrespective of who ordered it.

A specific cake that would only be ordered by gay people.

It's like saying that, as a book store, you're going to refuse selling the Quran because of its violent character, but you'll happy sell the Bible.

It's indirect discrimination, and equally illegal under those regulations as direct discrimination.

lmaoboy1998
Oct 23, 2013

MrL_JaKiri posted:

From the top of the page:

[edit] Last page :v: [/edit]

She's choosing not to appear. That's it.

After the first paragraph I thought you were going to go on to support her, not oppose her!

She has chosen not to appear at an event. This has been reported as the NUS "No platforming" Peter Tatchell. That's a massive misinterpretation to fit the narrative that student activists are just a bunch of cry babies.

Refusing to be in a room with people who have mainstream opinions (whether wrong or not) still comes across as mental.

She surrendered the right to be governed entirely by how she feels when she took on the responsibility of representing other people and a particular cause. If you can't stop yourself from behaving in a way that looks mental to the majority of the population, that's fine. Just avoid politics.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

lmaoboy1998 posted:

Refusing to be in a room with people who have fairly mainstream opinions still comes across as mental.

But enough about Germaine "I can smell your oval office" Greer.

Also, that argument would mean that you should give fascists a platform. Just so you know.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

TinTower posted:

It's like saying that, as a book store, you're going to refuse selling the Quran because of its violent character, but you'll happy sell the Bible.

It's indirect discrimination, and equally illegal under those regulations as direct discrimination.

Again, as has been pointed out, by that logic you should be able to go to a gay baker and demand they make you a straight pride white power burn all the homos cake that you want to order because you're a member of the westboro baptist church and the KKK.

It's a pretty stupid law if it requires that.

I don't really see why a bookstore should be required to sell every book either. I don't really expect the church bookshop near me to sell the illustrated guide to BDSM.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

TinTower posted:

Straight people can also order cakes with messages supporting gay people though.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

TinTower posted:

Who says straight people can't support gay marriage? (you do apparently)

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

This is the worst derail yet.

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

TinTower posted:

So a Halal grocers isn't a business? What about a Christian bookshop or an Orthodox icon painter?
Or maybe your definition of a business is just bonkers (and prejudiced).

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

Again, as has been pointed out, by that logic you should be able to go to a gay baker and demand they make you a straight pride white power burn all the homos cake that you want to order because you're a member of the westboro baptist church and the KKK.

It's a pretty stupid law if it requires that.

I don't really see why a bookstore should be required to sell every book either. I don't really expect the church bookshop near me to sell the illustrated guide to BDSM.

Well, you couldn't, as opinions that approve the use of violence aren't protected, even though political opinions in general are due to the sectarian history of Northern Ireland.

But congratulations for bringing up the stupid arguments that come up from the Tories when every equality bill is debated in Parliament.

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Tbh the biggest threat to free speech in this country isn't clumsy undergraduate student politicians because they have zero effect in that region. There's more of a culture of whining about left-wing students than there is of perfidious censorhawks. So if you're on that side of decrying the failures of the young left, congrats, you're going to win that battle. How sensible.

Meanwhile there are actual, powerful threats to freedom of speech and the freedom of ideas that do in fact come from this very government. But the energy everyone who moans about this one student is not expended on Prevent or such like.

lmaoboy1998
Oct 23, 2013

TinTower posted:

But enough about Germaine "I can smell your oval office" Greer.

Also, that argument would mean that you should give fascists a platform. Just so you know.

Fascism isn't a mainstream position.

Unless you believe our right wing is fascist, in which case yes. You need to be able to tolerate being in a room with UKIP supporters without having a mental breakdown to be an effective politican in the UK.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

TinTower posted:

Well, you couldn't, as opinions that approve the use of violence aren't protected, even though political opinions in general are due to the sectarian history of Northern Ireland.

But congratulations for bringing up the stupid arguments that come up from the Tories when every equality bill is debated in Parliament.

It's not a stupid argument, you're suggesting that something should be illegal which is completely unenforceable unless you make the law ridiculously easy to prosecute under.

You can't require everyone to espouse every idea in exchange for money. That's absurd.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

lmaoboy1998 posted:

Fascism isn't a mainstream position.

You need to be able to tolerate being in a room with National Front supporters without having a mental breakdown to be an effective politican in the UK.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

TinTower posted:

Well that seems like a bit of an assumption.

TinTower posted:

Are you sure this is illegal? Because from a secular perspective a book is a book. If you're being super vocal about the fact that the reason you're not stocking a particular book is because you're a massive racist then I'd think that would be your actual legal problem (the explicit endorsement of racism), rather than the business of not having a book in your inventory.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Namtab posted:

If people weren't capable of changing their minds I'd be voting conservative in 2020

N..

No!!!

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Renaissance Robot posted:

Well that seems like a bit of an assumption.

Are you sure this is illegal? Because from a secular perspective a book is a book. If you're being super vocal about the fact that the reason you're not stocking a particular book is because you're a massive racist then I'd think that would be your actual legal problem (the explicit endorsement of racism), rather than the business of not having a book in your inventory.

From the Equality Commission of Northern Ireland's guidelines on religious discrimination:

quote:

Indirect discrimination in employment occurs where a provision, criterion or practice is applied, or would apply equally to everyone, but which has the effect of putting people of a particular religious belief or political opinion at a disadvantage when compared with others and which cannot be shown to be a proportionate means of achieving a legitimate aim.

The "proportionate means of achieving a legitimate aim" line occurs several times in equality legislation, to allow things like Church bookshops to sell books relating only to their denomination.

It's the difference between a Catholic mission not including reproductive health in their health insurance plan, and an arts and crafts chain doing the same.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

J_RBG posted:

Meanwhile there are actual, powerful threats to freedom of speech and the freedom of ideas that do in fact come from this very government. But the energy everyone who moans about this one student is not expended on Prevent or such like.

There's a weird double standard when it comes to anti-NUS talking points. People complain about No Platform, then those same people complain about the NUS working with CAGE against Prevent.

Or does freedom of speech only apply to white people? makeuthink

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

UN to Britain: stop tasering children jesus christ http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/united-nations-warns-uk-government-to-stop-tasering-children-a6872591.html

lmaoboy1998
Oct 23, 2013

TinTower posted:

You need to be able to tolerate being in a room with National Front supporters without having a mental breakdown to be an effective politican in the UK.

I mean, yes. Obviously, yes. If a large and growing share of your population believes something, refusing to debate/interact with them is unthinkably naive. You need to treat them with basic respect while also taking every possible opportunity to explain why they're wrong. Otherwise you lose the debate by default. This is why you're a student politician and won't be a proper one.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

lmaoboy1998 posted:

I mean, yes. Obviously, yes. If a large and growing share of your population believes something, refusing to debate/interact with them is unthinkably naive. You need to treat them with basic respect while also taking every possible opportunity to explain why they're wrong. Otherwise you lose the debate by default. This is why you're a student politician and won't be a proper one.

Clegg, Miliband, Wood, Sturgeon, and Bennett: We absolutely cannot let UKIP's politics of racism and immigrant bashing to rule the day.
Nigel Farage: All these so-called "refugees" are coming over with AIDS and destroying our health system from within.
Literally everyone: What the gently caress.
Julie Etchingham: No let's hear him out.

If you think that fascism can be destroyed through dry Oxford Union-style debates you're more naive than most students.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Puntification posted:

It's nice but nothing will come of it.

This is absolutely true, because it has happened before. There was a 150k signature petition for exactly the same thing, it got a ten minute 'debate' in an anteroom which concluded 'something something 7 day NHS gently caress you junior doctors' and went back to selling off the NHS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014
The correct way to deal with fascists is to beat the poo poo out of them and nothing else.

• Locked thread