Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Hmmmm.

Blockhouse posted:

yes the GX dub wanted to be yu-gi-oh TAS so hard it hurt

Man I used to love YGO TAS. I remember laughing really hard in one of the episodes where one of Rex's dinosaurs turned to stone and Rex makes a pun about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Yugioh GX loving owns for two and a half seasons.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Blockhouse posted:

I think it was actually that they had a lot of success with their dub of Ultimate Muscle/ Kinnikuman Nisei. Apparently the show was so hated in Japan that they were allowed to pretty much do anything they wanted. It's honestly one of the best dubs they ever put out. They carried a lot of that with them when they started GX since that show took the piss out of DM a lot even in the original Japanese.

That Kaiba quote is pretty much the same in the Japanese version, too.

Kay Kessler fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Feb 12, 2016

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Hmmmm.

Man I used to love YGO TAS. I remember laughing really hard in one of the episodes where one of Rex's dinosaurs turned to stone and Rex makes a pun about it.

The old episodes probably don't hold up anymore but drat do I remember laughing hard at them.

I tried watching a couple of recent ones and my god they're awful.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I really like the cast of 5Ds because 5Ds is the only game with a plot that I sorta know about, having played the 2 DS games and Tag Force 5.

It's a good series I think.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The first half is good, the second is a tire fire.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

5D's will always have my hatred due to the shelving of Akiza and the mere existence of MOTHERFUCKING CROW. :argh:

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
My inability to accept XYZ and Pendulums into my life means that I will never be able to move past 5Ds.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Blockhouse posted:

It was funnier than ygotas of the time.

BlitzBlast posted:

Alexis is the perfect choice because she's probably going to be an evil general or something, and I wouldn't want to watch anyone else in the GX cast be turned into a villain.

EDIT: Like if you made Chazz behind the destruction of an entire dimension it would blow, but Alexis? Who gives a poo poo about Alexis, sure, why not.

I actually had a theory way back in the thread when they first showed Academia used Ancient Gears. I thought Crowley would come up for sure, and as like one of the few people in the school who cares for the brainwashed, broken kids.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Dexie posted:

5D's will always have my hatred due to the shelving of Akiza

It's more like a rack than a shelf, really

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Heh

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

TheKingofSprings posted:

Motherfucker.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

TheKingofSprings posted:

The old episodes probably don't hold up anymore but drat do I remember laughing hard at them.

While the editing and audio quality isn't really good anymore, and there are a bunch of dated referenced/internet jokes, but there are definitely some genuine funny moments, especially if you go into it as a teenager who hasn't seen anything like it before. I don't really recommend watching it nowadays though. I haven't watched anymore Yugioh Abridged since the beginning of the Orichalcos arc because it was so boring.

Also if you haven't seen it,: The Vagina Monologue

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
We hold these truths to be self evident: Kaiba is the best.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.

TheKingofSprings posted:

:drat:

Koguma
Sep 1, 2007

One of the Big Seven !!

TheKingofSprings posted:

:golfclap:

Iserlohn
Nov 3, 2011

Watch out!

Here comes the third tactic.
Lipstick Apathy
Was confused as to why Yugo and Yuri just gently caress off to nowhere. Was kind of bummed that Barrett just gets chumped. Again. Was a little upset that the blast of the attack just so happened to knock Barrett right next to Selena and he kinda throws his honor BS out the window by taking her on the sly. Would have probably been a little mad if Sergei just up and took Yuzu, but the fact that he did so in the most glorious way possible redeemed the episode and some of the other low points this season. I have not laughed that hard at YGO since that one episode in season 4 of GX (you know the one).

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Iserlohn posted:

I have not laughed that hard at YGO since that one episode in season 4 of GX (you know the one).

I'm sorry?

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.

Iserlohn posted:

Was confused as to why Yugo and Yuri just gently caress off to nowhere.

Because the writers will find any way to try and pad out that plot point for as long as they want to, no matter how bad it makes the pacing in the long run. Yuzu's bracelet provides them the perfect excuse for that purpose.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

I'm looking forward to the movie coming out (In April I think?) because it could mean a reasonable budget again! Also, the movie looks p. cool I guess...

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Xoidanor posted:

I'm sorry?

He's (hopefully) speaking of episode 172, the one where Kenzan finds out he was a dinosaur in a past life and gets eaten by all the dinosaurs he ate in that life, Jaden gets drunk, drives to the docks, has a drunken fight with Johan and then steals a boat with him and finally (or rather first) Jaden must escape an exploding Kaiba Corp building and uses more explosions to save his life.

Barret losing kinda sucked, but Yuya proceeding to lose just as hard against Sergey and show that he did not have any answers whatsoever to Barret's strategy was kinda great, situation was loving dire and ultimately Yuya was defeated twice thanks to two grown-ups having better skills than him.

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Feb 14, 2016

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

TheKingofSprings posted:

Actually the older episodes of the Abridged Series are the best ones; there's a reason all the references people make are from there. But once Battle City really got going the show pretty much dropped off a cliff, and turned into Bad Original Jokes And Forced Musicals: The Web Series.

I've heard it picked up again after the nadir that was the Virtual World arc, but I just don't care enough anymore to go check it out.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
But he has to make people smile! :mad:

Iserlohn
Nov 3, 2011

Watch out!

Here comes the third tactic.
Lipstick Apathy

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

He's (hopefully) speaking of episode 172

That's the one! If only season 4 of GX had more of that and Chazz's Pro League Internship Adventure.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Barret losing kinda sucked, but Yuya proceeding to lose just as hard against Sergey and show that he did not have any answers whatsoever to Barret's strategy was kinda great, situation was loving dire and ultimately Yuya was defeated twice thanks to two grown-ups having better skills than him.

I always found it funny that we're supposed to assume winners win their duels because of more [skill/intelligence/friendship/heart of the cards belief/etc.] than the loser. I'm not knocking the shows for it, but it is hilarious if you take a step back and analyze that train of thought.

Yuya had less than a quarter of his starting life and one card in hand. And he's an unskilled loser because Sergey jumps in and just out resources him. :v:

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

AlternateNu posted:

I always found it funny that we're supposed to assume winners win their duels because of more [skill/intelligence/friendship/heart of the cards belief/etc.] than the loser. I'm not knocking the shows for it, but it is hilarious if you take a step back and analyze that train of thought.

Yuya had less than a quarter of his starting life and one card in hand. And he's an unskilled loser because Sergey jumps in and just out resources him. :v:

Yugi won under the same conditions. Yuya just didn't try hard enough. :colbert:

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

BlitzBlast posted:

Actually the older episodes of the Abridged Series are the best ones; there's a reason all the references people make are from there. But once Battle City really got going the show pretty much dropped off a cliff, and turned into Bad Original Jokes And Forced Musicals: The Web Series.

I've heard it picked up again after the nadir that was the Virtual World arc, but I just don't care enough anymore to go check it out.

I'm really not fond of the Orichalcus arc but I don't think I cared for it much originally anyways. Besides the Berserker Soul thing.

Then again I only read YGO episode summaries and only watched up to the end of the Duel Tournament arc, and only bits and pieces at that.

Why am I so fond of YGO again?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

I'm really not fond of the Orichalcus arc but I don't think I cared for it much originally anyways. Besides the Berserker Soul thing.

Then again I only read YGO episode summaries and only watched up to the end of the Duel Tournament arc, and only bits and pieces at that.

Why am I so fond of YGO again?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfDZjxFjvD0

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I have never watched an episode of YGO GX, 5Ds, or Zexal.

Only a few episodes of YGO, the movie with the Pyramid, and a fuckton of YGO Abridged.

I guess the characters and plots are just so compelling that they get to you through stellar games such as YGO GX Duel Academy.

That game literally let me win most my battles with a deck containing only Chorus of the Sanctuary, Mirror Force, and a bunch of 4*s and 5*s with no attack stats and high defenses.

Literally the best game.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Kay Kessler posted:

Yugi won under the same conditions. Yuya just didn't try hard enough. :colbert:

Yugi also played during the era of Coins from Heaven into Pot of Greed into Graceful Charity into Cross Sacrifice into you DIE.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Seriously. In the second half of the original series, 90% of Yugi's and Kaiba's bullshit reversals were off the backs of these two cards:

I refill my hand for basically no cost! And now you lose, you talentless piece of poo poo! :smug:

free basket of chips
Sep 7, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
it was a much better time for card games

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Yugi had the power to will whatever card he needed, card of sanctity has nothing on that.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
The manga was way better about that.

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

Yeah, Card of Sanctity was usually shoehorned into anime episodes as a cheap way of artificially extending every duel 3-4 extra turns. Say what you will about Yugi's magical topdeck wizardry, the guy did not know how to manage his resources so he wouldn't blow through his entire hand as fast as humanly possible. Even during the brief period of time he used Slifer, he had to stack his deck with every drawing-themed card in the game to have any chance of getting it above 2k atk.

I'm watching GX now and Jaden is doing the exact same thing but with Mirage of Nightmare + Emergency Provisions. Thank god practically every modern card floats like crazy so we don't have to put up with this anymore.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
I play Pot of Greed, this allows me to draw-

"I know what pot of greed does, you cheating bastard!"

draw two cards!

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Take 2 shots when someone activates pot of greed.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

NEO BLUE EYES ULTIMATE DRAGON

Also, a bunch of Dark Magician support but who cares, NEO BLUE EYES ULTIMATE DRAGON :aaaaa:

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Neo New Blue-Eyes-san

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

free basket of chips
Sep 7, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Link to the dark magician support please