Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan

ozmunkeh posted:

I'm glad he's dead.

Real talk: Death is pretty heavy and I generally don't wish it on people as a rule, but gently caress that guy. I'm throwing a party.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

It would be nice if there was any way to replace bad justices short of hoping they were dead, because while I didn't wish the guy any personal ill will I did want him off the court pretty badly but in reality there's no way to separate the two.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

evilweasel posted:

It would be nice if there was any way to replace bad justices short of hoping they were dead, because while I didn't wish the guy any personal ill will I did want him off the court pretty badly but in reality there's no way to separate the two.

Well, congress could just impeach any justice that makes rulings they dislike. That would be a substantial norm violation that would seriously undermine the legitimacy of the court, so it might not happen for another 5 years or so :v:

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
How many innocents have been executed because Scalia believed it's what the founding fathers would have wanted? When we're done mourning them we can mourn him.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

Well, congress could just impeach any justice that makes rulings they dislike. That would be a substantial norm violation that would seriously undermine the legitimacy of the court, so it might not happen for another 5 years or so :v:

The bigger block is really that it requires a 2/3rds majority which nobody has had in like forever.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

evilweasel posted:

His friends and family are free to mourn his life, the rest of us did not know him and can only judge him based on his judicial legacy of being evil festering turd and shouldn't feel bad about being glad his is dead because realistically that was the only way he was leaving the court.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

I do love that "colorful" has become the euphemism I've noticed most when Democrats want to quietly throw shade on Scalia.

Pillow Hat
Sep 11, 2001

What has been seen cannot be unseen.
Just want to point out that this guy was morbidly obese and he lived to 79. He died on vacation with friends. It's the best ending he could have hoped for.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Pillow Hat posted:

Just want to point out that this guy was morbidly obese and he lived to 79. He died on vacation with friends. It's the best ending he could have hoped for.

He died doing what he loved: slaughtering the defenseless.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Pillow Hat posted:

Hitler dies in Argentina surrounded by friends and family at age 97, in a feathery down bed by the light of a fire

Don't be happy! A man is dead!

(Atonin Scalia's storied career will prepare him for his new job as Hitler's fluffer in hell.)

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Seems like a good time to remind everyone of the best example of appropriate glee upon the death of a public figure in recent history: Hunter S Thompson on Nixon

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
I hope the lasting memory history has of him is his "pure applesauce" and "jiggery-pokery" lines from the Obamacare dissent.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

vyelkin posted:

Ginsburg has consistently said she's not going to retire any time soon because there's no way in hell Obama would ever be able to appoint someone remotely like her to replace her.

This is the exact setup of that West Wing episode where they ended up nominating two new justices.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

evilweasel posted:

The guy was a vile racist. I'm sure chances are he didn't wish you well. The world is a better place with him dead.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Being happy that someone is dead doesn't mean you condone murder. He was actively making the world a worse place by his sheer existence, he was personally an awful human being and is responsible of shitload of suffering, of course it is a good and positive thing that he is not alive anymore. Why does someone suddenly deserve toleration and sympathy by shuffling his mortal coil? It's not like people are sending emails to his family or picketing his front yard. His death wasn't even violent nor had collateral damage :shrug:

Mattavist posted:

This is the exact setup of that West Wing episode where they ended up nominating two new justices.

If you showed footage to an alien about West Wing and this campaign season and asked which was real life I bet they would pick West Wing.

So anything could happen.

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Feb 14, 2016

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

mcmagic posted:

The guy was a vile racist. I'm sure chances are he didn't wish you well. The world is a better place with him dead.

I'm white and male and not poor, he'd have loved me.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

evilweasel posted:

I'm white and male and not poor, he'd have loved me.

depends, what is your opinion on walking?

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Obama should have practiced archery like the English kings the founding fathers separated themselves from would have wanted! :what: What the gently caress is any of that paragraph trying to talk about and why was he saying riding in a golf cart is protected or legally golf?

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Feb 14, 2016

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Crabtree posted:

Obama should have practiced archery like the English kings the founding fathers separated themselves from would have wanted! :what: What the gently caress is any of that paragraph trying to talk about and why was he saying riding in a golf cart is protected or legally golf?

The case was on whether or not the PGA could forbid the use of a golf cart in golf tournaments without violating the ADA.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CYkZcPYXQI&t=75s

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Crabtree posted:

it was a disability lawsuit. under the ADA it's ok to restrict access or remove people if their disability or whatever literally prevents them from doing the job, and the guy in question had trouble walking but could still stand up and swing the club, so he argued that he could play golf at the same level as everyone else. the pga at the time required that you had to walk between shots and so he sued them to make them let him ride a golf cart instead. so SCOTUS basically had to rule on whether or not walking your shots is fundamentally part of golf.

the supreme court basically decided that you don't have to walk around in order to play golf, that the important part is being able to hit the ball and so the pga would have to provide him with handicap access. now you know.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
basically, the NBA can keep people who play wheelchair basketball out because it makes the game fundamentally a different sport, but the PGA has to let dudes get around however they want because it doesn't have anything to do with how good at golf you are.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

evilweasel posted:

This has been my take on it. Not that he cared, but he had two ways of removing his awful opinions from the national stage: retirement and death. I would have been happy with either and he chose death, so I am happy.

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007
The good, The bad, Im the one with the gun.

corn in the bible posted:

it was a disability lawsuit. under the ADA it's ok to restrict access or remove people if their disability or whatever literally prevents them from doing the job, and the guy in question had trouble walking but could still stand up and swing the club, so he argued that he could play golf at the same level as everyone else. the pga at the time required that you had to walk between shots and so he sued them to make them let him ride a golf cart instead. so SCOTUS basically had to rule on whether or not walking your shots is fundamentally part of golf.

the supreme court basically decided that you don't have to walk around in order to play golf, that the important part is being able to hit the ball and so the pga would have to provide him with handicap access. now you know.

if the PGA was playing speed Golf where each golfer would have to run from one shot to the next, they could put there ban back in place. I for one would enjoy this as we would get both shots under par and time taken for 18 holes. Of course it destroys the sport.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
Lol at the new thread title. I thought Scalia had frozen to death on Everest while on a GBS organised climbing tour.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
Coheed and Cambria singing Scalia opinions:

http://youtu.be/7qrYegn5mtg

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Mattavist posted:

Actually, they were planning to nominate a super WASP and ended up nominating Commander Adama a Sotomayor.

sexy fucking muskrat
Aug 22, 2010

by exmarx
In case anyone was wondering, Scalia died of a heart attack.

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

Pomp posted:

I am so saddened that our nation has lost this man and sad for his family. I admired both his devotion to conservatism and the constitution and his unwavering faith in the Almighty.He was also an intellectual giant. As a side note, if McConnell intends to stay in the Senate, he better make this stick.Conservatives need to blanket senators with ph calls making sure they know...if any republican senator crosses over and votes to confirm an Obama nomination, their senate career is over.We have the majority and we will not forget.

This but minus the irony.

Lowtechs
Jan 12, 2001
Grimey Drawer
What is Clearance Thomas going to do now that he can't just concur with Scalia?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Lowtechs posted:

What is Clearance Thomas going to do now that he can't just concur with Scalia?

Scalia will appear before Thomas like a Jedi ghost.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Mr Jaunts posted:

A valiant effort made by a mere mortal heart to pump the purest vitriol. Black as onyx.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Mr Jaunts posted:

I guess he traded in his Chevy for a Cadillac-ac-ac-ac-ac :ohdear:

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

corn in the bible posted:

basically, the NBA can keep people who play wheelchair basketball out because it makes the game fundamentally a different sport, but the PGA has to let dudes get around however they want because it doesn't have anything to do with how good at golf you are.

I'd play wheelchair golf. Motorized tho

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Mr Jaunts posted:

This reads fishy as hell.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Honestly, what do you think Obama's initial reaction was when he was informed of the news?

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?

Mr Jaunts posted:

quote:

MARFA, Texas — The death certificate for U.S. Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia will list myocardial infarction — a heart attack — as the official cause of death, Presidio County Judge Cinderela Guevara told WFAA on Sunday.

Hmm...

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
still relevant:

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Three Olives posted:

With full knowledge of how hopelessly naive this sounds I find it really hard to believe that Republicans will think it is politically advantageous to stall out an entire branch of government just because they don't like they president for 11 months when they haven't even nominated someone to replace him yet.

Just politically how do you make the argument that you should be trusted with governance when you won't even hold a hearing to fill a Supreme Court justice opening just because you don't like the president?

Remember the government shutdowns? They'll absolutely try - though rather than admitting it's because they don't like the president, they'll spin some bullshit about how it's unprecedented for a president in to appoint a justice in an election year and there's no way an outgoing president's nomination could be considered legitimate. In fact, the candidates already pushed that argument during last night's debate, even though it's not true. For example, Kennedy was confirmed in Feb 1988.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Sen. Mitch McConnell in 2005 defending the President's right to nominate Supreme Court justices:

quote:

The Constitution of the United States is at stake. Article II, Section 2 clearly provides that the President, and the President alone, nominates judges. The Senate is empowered to give advice and consent. But my Democratic colleagues want to change the rules. They want to reinterpret the Constitution to require a supermajority for confirmation. In effect, they would take away the power to nominate from the President and grant it to a minority of 41 Senators.

• Locked thread