Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Some people have problems with one, some with the other, some with both, some with neither. I moved away from the core app a while ago, but haven't had any problems with Messenger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

CLAM DOWN posted:

Is it just the Facebook app that causes the performance/battery issues? Or is it Messenger too

For me it was the fb app itself (and the pages manager), but that doesn't appear to be the case for everyone

The messenger app used to bring my 5x to a crawl, but recent updates seemed to have sorted it. Its not even in my battery usage list today and I've used it a fair bit

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Cable posted:

iOS is available in Catalan though. Google should keep their game up regarding language support.

I have a Catalá option in languages on my N5, and a Catalan keyboard too

Also guess how much ram I'm using right now :smugdog: who cares

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

A while ago I came in this thread and I bitched about my Nexus 5, since the battery was rapidly draining (even after replacing it), I couldn't connect to wifi (doing the trick with toggling airplane mode just made it bootloop), and taking pictures with my camera had an 80% chance of just turning the phone off and putting it in a state where it won't remember it actually has power until I plug it in briefly.

The answer to the wifi problem was to flash the radio driver, the answer to the rest was 'get a new phone or do a deep factory reset'. I did the latter but didn't flash it, so my wifi still doesn't work and I'm just going to assume that's why, so I'm not going to bitch about something I didn't bother fixing.

My camera is still hosed up and the battery still dies in 6 hours with minimal usage (checking awful app, occasionally looking at skype). I haven't installed any apps yet, either. Is there anything else I can do or should I be in the market for a new phone?

e: I charged my phone to max at 1:20 PM today, unplugged it and let it sit idle. At 7 PM it was at 23%.

Tsurupettan fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Feb 13, 2016

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

You should be in the market for a new phone

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014
Shouldn't even be a question at this point.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice
It wasn't till I removed both FB and Messenger that my phone started dozing over night. Never again.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
My wife's S6 is no longer charging when plugged into any sort of power source. Outlet, external battery, nothing. Tried restarting it, tried powering it off and plugging it in, nothing. The plug on the bottom doesn't appear to be damaged in any way, and all cables I tried work with my S4. Any ideas?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

C-Euro posted:

My wife's S6 is no longer charging when plugged into any sort of power source. Outlet, external battery, nothing. Tried restarting it, tried powering it off and plugging it in, nothing. The plug on the bottom doesn't appear to be damaged in any way, and all cables I tried work with my S4. Any ideas?

I'll take a stab at abuse/corrosion.

Both my wife and I got our S6's at similar times. She has been (from what I have seen) more rough with the micro USB port. Her's doesn't look damaged at all, but doesn't like certain cords that fit "loose". Those cords still work in my phone but seem touchy.

I'll take a second stab and say micro usb port on the s6 isn't the best, and is falling apart with use.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

C-Euro posted:

Cables you say? Can't say I have much experience with those. What about with The One True Way to charge, Qi?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Is it lunchtime for you yet?

C-Euro posted:

Oh yeah, you can't pull the battery on that one, can you.

You may have to run the battery down to nothing first, and in a mode without auto-power-off (like recovery). If you buy into the whole 'draining the battery completely can kill the phone' thing, well, either this helps or phone's dead anyway once it runs out of power.

EDIT: If you do have to replace the phone, I'm actually not going to say Never Don't Nexus like usual, since you appear capable of dealing with Samsung being Samsung and they're surprisingly on the ball with security updates lately.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Feb 13, 2016

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Is it lunchtime for you yet?

Not quite, I usually wait until 0530. Anyway I was being snarky but that's the reason I bought Qi chargers: the Nexus 4's USB daughterboard was a piece of poo poo. Given how the excuse for why the transition from mini USB to micro USB was necessary was "now it's the cable that will wear out and not the port", it's remarkable how I've never seen a broken mini USB port but micro USB ports break all the time. Thankfully that's all behind us as we can now just rely on USB C cables that have the ability to literally destroy any equipment we plug into it which is way better than just setting something on a tray and not worrying about any of that poo poo at all.

lags
Jan 3, 2004

Tsurupettan posted:

A while ago I came in this thread and I bitched about my Nexus 5, since the battery was rapidly draining (even after replacing it), I couldn't connect to wifi (doing the trick with toggling airplane mode just made it bootloop), and taking pictures with my camera had an 80% chance of just turning the phone off and putting it in a state where it won't remember it actually has power until I plug it in briefly.

The answer to the wifi problem was to flash the radio driver, the answer to the rest was 'get a new phone or do a deep factory reset'. I did the latter but didn't flash it, so my wifi still doesn't work and I'm just going to assume that's why, so I'm not going to bitch about something I didn't bother fixing.

My camera is still hosed up and the battery still dies in 6 hours with minimal usage (checking awful app, occasionally looking at skype). I haven't installed any apps yet, either. Is there anything else I can do or should I be in the market for a new phone?

e: I charged my phone to max at 1:20 PM today, unplugged it and let it sit idle. At 7 PM it was at 23%.

Had this exact problem. Replaced the battery - problem no longer. It cost me 50bucks. Phone will idle for days now.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

lags posted:

Had this exact problem. Replaced the battery - problem no longer. It cost me 50bucks. Phone will idle for days now.

Where did you find a real battery? Everywhere I look is filled with reviews saying the battery is counterfeit.

lags
Jan 3, 2004

LastInLine posted:

Where did you find a real battery? Everywhere I look is filled with reviews saying the battery is counterfeit.

I just went to my local cellphone repair shop - the battery he put in looked identical to the old one (but wasn't bulged) - if it's counterfeit I surely don't care :)
E: LG Wanted 150 just to look at it and I would have had to send it away.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

LastInLine posted:

Cables you say? Can't say I have much experience with those. What about with The One True Way to charge, Qi?

Actually, Google has deprecated Qi, and says wires are the way to go again. Sorry.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice
Let me charge up my battery in a way that produces a bunch of excess heat which is known to be super good for battery life.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

LastInLine posted:

Not quite, I usually wait until 0530. Anyway I was being snarky but that's the reason I bought Qi chargers: the Nexus 4's USB daughterboard was a piece of poo poo. Given how the excuse for why the transition from mini USB to micro USB was necessary was "now it's the cable that will wear out and not the port", it's remarkable how I've never seen a broken mini USB port but micro USB ports break all the time.

Presumably microUSB is more robust vs reasonable wear and tear (I've had one USB socket of any kind go bad on me in my life and it was a manufacturing defect). Not a lot will help with people whose mentality allows them to use thousand-dollar electronic devices as chewtoys.

LastInLine posted:

Thankfully that's all behind us as we can now just rely on USB C cables that have the ability to literally destroy any equipment we plug into it which is way better than just setting something on a tray and not worrying about any of that poo poo at all.

Hey you won't catch me arguing with shuttering OnePlus. With extreme prejudice.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Feb 13, 2016

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

Actually, Google has deprecated Qi, and says wires are the way to go again. Sorry.

Ugh, wireless charging is the greatest part of a mobile device and I refuse to buy a phone without it

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
Has anyone gotten their hands on a Pixel C? It seemed to get grilled by review sites because Android for tablets can't really compete with iOS 9 but as someone who wants an Android version of an iPad Air 2 it seems like the specs of the Pixel C are far better for the hundred bucks more I'd pay than the Galaxy Tab S2 9.7. Just was curious if anecdotally it had some fatal flaw.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

withoutclass posted:

Let me charge up my battery in a way that produces a bunch of excess heat which is known to be super good for battery life.

Your sarcasm could be equally applied to wireless charging or turbo charging. :shrug:

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

BottleKnight posted:

Has anyone gotten their hands on a Pixel C? It seemed to get grilled by review sites because Android for tablets can't really compete with iOS 9 but as someone who wants an Android version of an iPad Air 2 it seems like the specs of the Pixel C are far better for the hundred bucks more I'd pay than the Galaxy Tab S2 9.7. Just was curious if anecdotally it had some fatal flaw.

butt dickus has one in the Android tablet thread.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Rastor posted:

butt dickus has one in the Android tablet thread.

I didn't even know there was such a thing! Thanks!

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

BottleKnight posted:

It seemed to get grilled by review sites because Android for tablets can't really compete with iOS 9 but as someone who wants an Android version of an iPad Air 2 it seems like the specs of the Pixel C are far better for the hundred bucks more I'd pay than the Galaxy Tab S2 9.7. Just was curious if anecdotally it had some fatal flaw.
The Pixel C hardware is, by all accounts, great. The problem with the Pixel C is that Android, presently, doesn't work well with the form factor.

It's pretty clear that the Pixel C was intended, originally, to be a Chrome OS device, possibly to debut with a new Chrome OS tablet interface that never happened. In a change of priorities, the hardware was repurposed to run Android, but since Android doesn't have a split-screen mode, there's a mismatch between the OS and hardware that everyone gripes about.

If you're OK with the lack of split screen, it's one of those devices that works fine today, but will get better as future version of Android accommodate the potential of the hardware.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

it's one of those devices that works fine today, but will get better as future version of Android accommodate the potential of the hardware.

Assuming the Pixel C becomes a benchmark to design newer iterations of Android against.

It's such a bastard device. They literally made the snap decision to toss android on it and ship in time for holidays just so the hardware design didn't go to waste. Since the hardware was originally designed to be a Chrome OS device, it's likely that not all of the decisions were optimal for a refocusing of android on tablets. If that does become a priority of Google in N, the Pixel C may not be the hardware target in which they focus those efforts since it is completely different than any other Android tablet on the market.

Also, it uses a Nividia SoC.

And, in case I didn't mention, it's using a Nvidia SoC.

Finally, and I don't think I stressed this point yet, it's using a Nvidia SoC.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice

isndl posted:

Your sarcasm could be equally applied to wireless charging or turbo charging. :shrug:

Yep, unless there has been some advent of batteries that don't get rocked by excessive heat that I am not aware of.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

bull3964 posted:

Also, it uses a Nividia SoC.

And, in case I didn't mention, it's using a Nvidia SoC.

Finally, and I don't think I stressed this point yet, it's using a Nvidia SoC.

Idk if this is an overtreaded topic but is that a bad thing? I don't really know why, but I was under the observation that Nvidia SoC's were pretty good?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I've noticed for a little while now that often when I swipe up to Google Now and tap in the search bar and start typing right away, the first several characters I type don't get into the bar. I usually use SwiftKey and noticed that when this happens, I'd see some streaks like I was flowing, but I have flow turned off. I tried using the Google keyboard for a bit to see if maybe SwiftKey was the problem, but I saw the same input lag. Does anyone have any idea if this can be fixed? I've got a 2014 Moto X.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

BottleKnight posted:

Idk if this is an overtreaded topic but is that a bad thing? I don't really know why, but I was under the observation that Nvidia SoC's were pretty good?

Let's take a look at devices that Google used as flagship OS products that used Nvidia SoCs.

Xoom (tegra 2)
Nexus 7 2012 (Tegra 3)
Nexus 9 (bastard Denver)

Then there's non-google phones that used Tegras.

Atrix
Droid X2
(trigger warning) LG G2

The only decent products that have used a Nvidia SoC so far have been the Shield Tablet and Shield Android TV. If you notice, the only decent Nvidia SoC products are ones made by Nvidia.

Just say no to Nvidia SoCs. I've owned 3 of the above listed devices. never again.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
Is it better for my Nexus 6P battery if I keep it plugged in while I'm at work or just charge it when it gets low?

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
You don't want to fully discharge the battery if you can help it, if it gets to about 30% pop it on the charger. You've got a 6P, unless you use your phone constantly at work you should be good for just charging at night.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Busy Bee posted:

Is it better for my Nexus 6P battery if I keep it plugged in while I'm at work or just charge it when it gets low?
Just do whatever and don't worry about it.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

While I'm mostly on board with the making GBS threads on Nvidia SoC's, and their past performance/reliability is a good guide to what you should buy...if you have to buy in an information vacuum.

If, on the other hand, you can look at a device (or reviews of a device), over time, and see how it performs, don't just write it off because of Nvidia. If it's a poo poo device, it's a poo poo device. If it's not, it's not.

AFAIK, (and please don't take my word for it, do some research. I haven't really been following it), the complaints about the Pixel C don't have much to do with Nvidia, and more to do with Android on the form factor.

If I'm right about that, and you're aware of Android's limitations on the form factor, I don't see anything wrong with getting it. If my tentative thoughts about the problems with the Pixel C being down to Android, not Nvidia, and I was in the market for a large tablet, the Pixel C would be on my short list.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

For some reason I completely trust Google to put all the multitasking and productivity tablet stuff in N, based on that AMA the Pixel team did months ago.

But even if they didn't, and Android for tablets stayed exactly the same, I still think it's the device I'd get. If you're used to Android on a phone I don't think Android on tablets is really an issue. I never use the multitasking on my Note 5 and don't think I really would on a tablet either. If I need to check my twitter feed or email (which is pretty much the only use case these reviews ever come up with) I'll just... check my phone.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

hooah posted:

I've noticed for a little while now that often when I swipe up to Google Now and tap in the search bar and start typing right away, the first several characters I type don't get into the bar. I usually use SwiftKey and noticed that when this happens, I'd see some streaks like I was flowing, but I have flow turned off. I tried using the Google keyboard for a bit to see if maybe SwiftKey was the problem, but I saw the same input lag. Does anyone have any idea if this can be fixed? I've got a 2014 Moto X.
I have that since quite a while. It didn't do that when I got it, must be one of the Play Services or launcher updates.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

bull3964 posted:

(trigger warning) LG G2

You forgot an X. LG G2 is good, LG G2x is awful garbage.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

bull3964 posted:

Let's take a look at devices that Google used as flagship OS products that used Nvidia SoCs.
Which includes every Android tablet worth purchasing since the 2013 Nexus 7.

I mean, I'm not giving up my 2013 Nexus 7, but the Pixel C is hardly an anomaly for its SoC choice.

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

Penetration is the key to success
College Slice

RVProfootballer posted:

You forgot an X. LG G2 is good, LG G2x is awful garbage.

Except for the software the G2 was a pretty good phone. Until my proximity sensor got loose and I couldn't turn it on with out squeezing the top left corner of it. Moved onto a 6p but I really miss tap to wake.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

142% is impressive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Massasoit posted:

142% is impressive.

"Since last full charge" is doing all that work and you can't even give it the least bit of credit.