Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lmaoboy1998
Oct 23, 2013

TinTower posted:

Clegg, Miliband, Wood, Sturgeon, and Bennett: We absolutely cannot let UKIP's politics of racism and immigrant bashing to rule the day.
Nigel Farage: All these so-called "refugees" are coming over with AIDS and destroying our health system from within.
Literally everyone: What the gently caress.
Julie Etchingham: No let's hear him out.

If you think that fascism can be destroyed through dry Oxford Union-style debates you're more naive than most students.

As far as I can see it's good that they went to the event, engaged with him at first and then pointed out where his opinions were abhorrent. It would have been much worse in terms of optics if they'd all refused to attend, or if they'd kicked him out beforehand.

If you think fascism can be defeated by trying to marginalise/criminalise it's figureheads you might want to study the rise of the NSDAP. Debate is a far more effective way of undermining that kind of idea than trying to force it underground, not least because the best and most articulate minds tend to already be against it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

lmaoboy1998 posted:

not least because the best and most articulate minds tend to already be against it.

*sits on ivory tower* Heh, have you met the British voting public? :smugdog:

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
"If Hindenburg had debated Hitler, the Holocaust would never have happened."

:rolleyes:

When you get to the point of disorganised mass movements like the NSDAP and like what UKIP are attempting, trying to reduce it to a debate in a stuffy room is stupid; you counter-organise instead.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It's probably worth differentiating between fascism as in the violent street level movement, which if left to run unopposed results in acts of street violence and right wing populism as in the political movement which serves to try and drag the Overton window to the right.

I don't think anything would be gained by inviting Combat 18 to debates. Unless it was a debate on undercover policing tactics :haw:

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014

lmaoboy1998 posted:

If you think fascism can be defeated by trying to marginalise/criminalise it's figureheads you might want to study the rise of the NSDAP. Debate is a far more effective way of undermining that kind of idea than trying to force it underground, not least because the best and most articulate minds tend to already be against it.

gently caress all that bourgeois liberal handwringy poo poo. The best way there ever was of loving up the nazis was the Roter Frontkämpferbund beating them to death.

lmaoboy1998
Oct 23, 2013

TinTower posted:

"If Hindenburg had debated Hitler, the Holocaust would never have happened."

:rolleyes:

When you get to the point of disorganised mass movements like the NSDAP and like what UKIP are attempting, trying to reduce it to a debate in a stuffy room is stupid; you counter-organise instead.

Counter-organising is obviously necessarily, I just think it should include actually being at events where the opposition are, whether to protest, debate, whatever. Having a hissy fit that makes everyone laugh at you isn't counter-organising.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Nick Clegg's debate versus Farage was a hilarious example of how it backfires to think talking reasonably will solve the problem. Clegg was making sensible points but it was boring and stuffy and then Farage just blurts out with "gently caress GYPSIES!" and the room bursts into applause.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

It's probably worth differentiating between fascism as in the violent street level movement, which if left to run unopposed results in acts of street violence and right wing populism as in the political movement which serves to try and drag the Overton window to the right.

I don't think anything would be gained by inviting Combat 18 to debates. Unless it was a debate on undercover policing tactics :haw:

We all know that UKIP are fundamentally the former disguising themselves as the latter. There's a reason that UKIP are the only party that has to ban former BNP members from joining, in the same way that the BNP were the only party that had to ban NF members from joining: because it would make the mask slip otherwise.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If only the Correct viewpoint could be articulated with a good amount of swearing and calling the other person an idiot.

Basically I think we need Oberleutnant to debate people on telly.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Tesseraction posted:

Nick Clegg's debate versus Farage was a hilarious example of how it backfires to think talking reasonably will solve the problem. Clegg was making sensible points but it was boring and stuffy and then Farage just blurts out with "gently caress GYPSIES!" and the room bursts into applause.
Perhaps a hardline leftist with similarly snappy soundbites should have debated him instead of a liberal?

^^ efb

e2:

TinTower posted:

We all know that UKIP are fundamentally the former disguising themselves as the latter. There's a reason that UKIP are the only party that has to ban former BNP members from joining, in the same way that the BNP were the only party that had to ban NF members from joining: because it would make the mask slip otherwise.
It's interesting that other than the baseline of ethnonationalism the two parties are very different though.
One group had a contingent of almost Strasserist anti-capitalism twinned with social authoritarianism, the other is laissez faire capitalist and pro-deregulation.

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Feb 14, 2016

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Pretty much. It basically comes down to the fact that you can't counteract populism with infodumps.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

Basically I think we need Oberleutnant to debate people on telly.

:agreed:

Tesseraction posted:

But no, you see, Farage did a course so he knows all about the "Gypsy culture" and why "gypsy" isn't a slur.

(This is a reference only you might get, Tesseraction)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

"Labour Shadow Minister for Culture responds to Tory cuts by telling opponent to 'get in the bin fukkboi'."

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Why is that "truly special"?

A person who disagrees with someone doesn't want to speak from the same platform as them because they don't want to appear to be supporting them. She's not called for a boycott, just said that she's not going to speak.

The reason given for not wanting to share a platform with him - that's he's actually a racist - is clear nonsense.

So yeah yeah appear with who you like or not. That's not the part I was taking issue with. Sorry for not being clear.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

Namtab posted:

If people weren't capable of changing their minds I'd be voting conservative in 2020

You actually voted for the Tories in 2015, knowing what they were and what they wanted to do?

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Pork Pie Hat posted:

You actually voted for the Tories in 2015, knowing what they were and what they wanted to do?

2010. I didn't vote in 2015.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

thespaceinvader posted:

This is absolutely true, because it has happened before. There was a 150k signature petition for exactly the same thing, it got a ten minute 'debate' in an anteroom which concluded 'something something 7 day NHS gently caress you junior doctors' and went back to selling off the NHS.

Signing petitions is all well and good, but at the end of the day they can and will ignore them.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Namtab posted:

2010. I didn't vote in 2015.

Why, out of curiosity? As a nurse it would seem.. a bit weird to me on the surface.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

HorseLord posted:

The correct way to deal with fascists is to beat the poo poo out of them and nothing else.

This is absolutely correct. No platform for fascists except the gallows.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

Why, out of curiosity? As a nurse it would seem.. a bit weird to me on the surface.

In 2010 I was an accountancy graduate working in a shop (e: as a shop assistant, I mean), I've lived my life with conservative parents in conservative areas, I bought into austerity.

I've only really gotten any kind of political interest since qualifying in 2014 and since seeing the effect of austerity on the learning disabled population I support, particularly the lack of access to health and social services. I didn't vote in 2015 cause all the parties were touting austerity.

Also as with all sections of the community there are a lot of nurses who vote Tory.

On the upside I actually decided to start paying my £3 today.

Namtab fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Feb 14, 2016

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

hit button posted:

Who's reported that the NUS is "No platforming" him? It isn't implied in the Guardian article.

It mentions no-platforming just enough (eg in the final paragraph, which (clarif/impl)ies that while the NUS isn't no platforming Tatchell she is, which she isn't because an individual can't no-platform someone) that (when looking on Twitter and elsewhere online), and I've seen it very often paraphrased as Tatchell being no-platformed by the NUS.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

MrL_JaKiri posted:

From the top of the page:

[edit] Last page :v: [/edit]

She's choosing not to appear. That's it.

After the first paragraph I thought you were going to go on to support her, not oppose her!

She has chosen not to appear at an event. This has been reported as the NUS "No platforming" Peter Tatchell. That's a massive misinterpretation to fit the narrative that student activists are just a bunch of cry babies.

She also appears to have suggested that he is racist and has supported violence against transgender peiple, which seems to me a bit more than just not thinking he's worthy of sharing a stage with her.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

MrL_JaKiri posted:

It mentions no-platforming just enough (eg in the final paragraph, which (clarif/impl)ies that while the NUS isn't no platforming Tatchell she is, which she isn't because an individual can't no-platform someone) that (when looking on Twitter and elsewhere online), and I've seen it very often paraphrased as Tatchell being no-platformed by the NUS.

The guardian article does have 'no-platforming' in the subheading which isn't very helpful

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Tesseraction posted:

Pretty much. It basically comes down to the fact that you can't counteract populism with infodumps.

This is one of the reasons that the facts of the Junior Doctors Contract issue get so little traction. Because it take 3 seconds to say SEVEN DAY NHS and ten minutes to explain why it's dumb. It take 30 seconds to say 'MORE LIKELY TO DIE ON WEEKENDS' and ten minutes to explain that no, it doesn't, the studies have been excessively misrepresented and even if it does, it's not necessarily evidence of causative effects .

A lie can go round the world before the truth has got its boots on, basically.

And the current political climate doesn't give room for the reasoned viewpoint, though Corbyn's trying his best.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It only takes 5 seconds to say TORIES WANT TO SELL OFF THE NHS but less people want to listen to that one.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Guavanaut posted:

It only takes 5 seconds to say TORIES WANT TO SELL OFF THE NHS but less people want to listen to that one.

Ah don't be stupid the Tories are Economically Responsible Sensible People.

(Literally an argument I heard last week)

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
What did they want the cake to say?

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Pissflaps posted:

What did they want the cake to say?

"Support Gay Marriage - Queerspace - born 1998" with a picture of two muppets off Sesame street. Queerspace being the group that the guy who made the order for the cake was from.

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

This is the best kitchen ever.

Pesky Splinter posted:

"Support Gay Marriage - Queerspace - born 1998" with a picture of two muppets off Sesame street. Queerspace being the group that the guy who made the order for the cake was from.

Then I can understand where the bakery are coming from absolutely, I dont like it and feel they're homophobes but you shouldn't be obliged to make something with a political message you disagree with, its completely different to the B&B case.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

I feel like we should no platform Liberal Democrats.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

It's illegal to discriminate on the basis of (non-violent) political opinion in Northern Ireland.

Ashers weren't just found guilty of discrimination on the basis of sexuality, they were also found guilty of discrimination on the basis of political opinion.

You all should read the judgment in the case, it's rock solid.

quote:

I find, on the evidence before me, that the Defendants did have the knowledge or perception that the Plaintiff was gay and /or associated with others who are gay. The reasons for this finding are that the Defendants must have known that the Plaintiff supported gay marriage and/or associated with others who supported gay marriage as this was a cake for a special event the Plaintiff was attending; it was known to the 3rd Defendant that the Plaintiff was a member of a small volunteer group; he wanted his own graphics on the cake; those graphics included ‘support gay marriage’ together with a reference to ‘QueerSpace’ and the 3rd Defendant was aware of the ongoing debate on same-sex marriage. Furthermore, although from her own evidence she said that she didn’t think “perhaps we have to do it” [meaning complete the order], it is clear when she discussed the issue with her son on the Sunday, she mentioned that there may be litigation.

It is significant that the 2nd named Defendant would have been prepared to fulfil the order but, after discussing the issue with the 3rd Defendant and, ’wrestling with his heart and mind’, he changed his view. During those discussions it must also have been abundantly clear that the Plaintiff supported gay marriage and that in all the circumstances the 2nd Defendant must either consciously or unconsciously have had the knowledge or perception that the Plaintiff was gay and/or associated with others who are gay.

quote:

My finding is that the Defendants cancelled this order as they oppose same sex marriage for the reason that they regard it as sinful and contrary to their genuinely held religious beliefs. Same sex marriage is inextricably linked to sexual relations between same sex couples which is a union of persons having a particular sexual orientation. The Plaintiff did not share the particular religious and political opinion which confines marriage to heterosexual orientation.

The Defendants are not a religious organization; they are conducting a business for profit and, notwithstanding their genuine religious beliefs, there are no exceptions available under the 2006 Regulations which apply to this case and the Legislature, after appropriate consultation and consideration, has determined what the law should be.

quote:

Have the Defendants directly discriminated against the Plaintiff on the ground of religious belief and/or political opinion contrary to Article 3(2) of the 1998 Order? I find that they have. Applying the reasoning in Gill v NICEM, the 2nd and 3rd Defendants disagreed with the religious belief and political opinion held by the Plaintiff with regard to a change in the law to permit gay marriage and, accordingly, by their refusal to provide the services sought, treated the Plaintiff less favourably contrary to the law. If the Plaintiff had chosen graphics which said “support heterosexual marriage” or “support marriage” or if a heterosexual had ordered a cake with graphics “support heterosexual marriage” I am satisfied that the Defendants would have completed the order and would have had every right to do so. It is for the reason that the Defendants objected to the word ‘gay’ as they are totally opposed to same-sex marriage which they regard as sinful that they refused the order.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Well if it's illegal then it must be wrong

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

One of the key issues in the Ashers case is that there was insufficient evidence to prove that they had a blanket ban on providing goods promoting political opinions - a blanket restriction that most likely would have been lawful - and in fact they did not argue that they had such a restriction in place. So it clearly falls afoul of the Northern Irish laws regarding the provision of services based on political opinion, legislation which those outside of NI may gawp at but which makes perfect sense in an NI context.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

TinTower posted:

It's illegal to discriminate on the basis of (non-violent) political opinion in Northern Ireland.

Ashers weren't just found guilty of discrimination on the basis of sexuality, they were also found guilty of discrimination on the basis of political opinion.

for such an ardent supporter of anti-discrimination its a shame you made a racist post in one of these threads

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

While it's an understandable law in NI's case it's a dumb one otherwise and it shouldn't be implemented over here.

Paxman
Feb 7, 2010

TinTower posted:

Surely the Northern Ireland law is a response to the specific situation. It's there to stop people discriminating against people who come from a certain part of the community (eg Catholics or people who identify as Irish). It's to make sure nobody has an excuse for putting a sign on the door saying "No Papists Nationalists purely on political grounds not because I am filthy sectarian racist bigot or anything."

If you're not allowed to refuse to make a cake which calls on people to support the Marriage (Same Sex Couples) Act then I'd guess you also can't refuse to make a cake which calls on people to support repealing the Marriage (Same Sex Couples) Act which I know I would find a bit annoying if I was a cake maker.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yes I would like a cake that says happy birthday hitler with a swastika on the background.

I just want to celebrate the birthday of a very important historical figure is all.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I think what makes it a bit of an awkward case is that the bakery seems to be a small family business.

distortion park fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Feb 14, 2016

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Paxman posted:

Surely the Northern Ireland law is a response to the specific situation. It's there to stop people discriminating against people who come from a certain part of the community (eg Catholics or people who identify as Irish). It's to make sure nobody has an excuse for putting a sign on the door saying "No Papists Nationalists purely on political grounds not because I am filthy sectarian racist bigot or anything."

If you're not allowed to refuse to make a cake which calls on people to support the Marriage (Same Sex Couples) Act then I'd guess you also can't refuse to make a cake which calls on people to support repealing the Marriage (Same Sex Couples) Act which I know I would find a bit annoying if I was a cake maker.

You can refuse to make any political cakes if you want.

Just not only political cakes you disagree with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Who's ordering all these political cakes anyway?

I can understand if printers had to be politically neutral in the paper products they print, although at the same time I can fully understand if a Muslim printer told me to gently caress off if I wanted 2000 'Halal is barbaric' flyers, but are people really using baked goods as a means of communicating a political message?

• Locked thread