Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Mzbundifund posted:

The graverobber excels at alpha striking squishy enemies on the first round. The graverobber has a ridiculously high 8 speed without any upgrades, and an equally impressive damage and crit rate on her Thrown Dagger attack. If she doesn't crit, whatever she attacked can probably be mopped up easily by one other character, possibly even by an AoE attack. The Graverobber is best added to parties that need a row 3 member and who are low on the ability to strike the back row. Once the stress dealers are down she can chuck blight darts at any enemy on the map to wear down foes with high Protection.

She is most similar to the Arbalest, with the Graverobber generally being faster and squishier with more offensive options and better ability to strike the front row, while the Arbalest is slower but much more durable, with the ability to heal others. The Arbalest benefits immensely from marked targets, while the Graverobber gets a very small benefit. In general the Graverobber is best on the first round of combat, while the Arbalest is better later in the fight when targets are marked and party members are wounded.

I actually really like combining the grave robber with an arbalest with +speed quirks and trinkets: they complement each other's strengths, and between the two of them I can usually pick off annoying row 3 or 4 enemies before they can act.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Only two bosses left to tackle before the Darkest Dungeon.

Time for the rematch with the Brigand 16 Pounder.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Bad Seafood posted:

Only two bosses left to tackle before the Darkest Dungeon.

Time for the rematch with the Brigand 16 Pounder.

Take Miron

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

AnonSpore posted:

Take Miron
He's the best matchup in that fight, pound for pound.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
It is fortuitous that his name is Miron, because it lets me make this joke:

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

My Man-At-Arms got drunk and misplaced Barristan's Head. I feel like there's something poetic about that.

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.
2 robbers (start in slots 3&4) + healer + MAA is my allstar team in champ dungeons. Lunge is the bomb. Just stack speed trinkets (and/or the MAA speed buff) on the slot 4 so she goes before the other robber every round.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

My Grave Robbers are always the highest level in their bracket because I can't resist using them. Whenever I'm making a team and can't decide who to put in slot 3, I always take a Grave Robber.

Unrelated, but trying to get the rest of my people out of Apprentice levels is making for some really fun groups. I took PlagueDoc/Occultist/Occultist/Abomination to the Coves and they tore the place apart.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzVFugFcUto&t=3s

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.
Congrats. The Brigand 16 Pounder was the fight where I learned that as long as you kill the boss itself, it still counts as a victory and you still get the trophy even if your party dies before the fight is over.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
Good god, turn 55.

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

RoboCicero posted:

Good god, turn 55.

i prefer my vet runs that go down on turn 4 thank you very much

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Overconfidence etc. etc., or Just How Bad Could The Veteran Shambler Be?

Bad

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Thuryl posted:

Congrats. The Brigand 16 Pounder was the fight where I learned that as long as you kill the boss itself, it still counts as a victory and you still get the trophy even if your party dies before the fight is over.
Which just makes me wonder where those quest rewards are coming from, considering you're the one in charge of the missions and all.

"My lord, all those men you sent to kill the brigands guarding their cannon perished in the attempt."
"Were they successful?"
"Well, they did technically dismantle the cannon before they all-"
"Splendid! A job well done. I'm going to embezzle another 15,000 gold from the family vault. Carry on, Caretaker!"
"And he wonders why I spend all my time in the stress facilities."

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

docbeard posted:

Overconfidence etc. etc., or Just How Bad Could The Veteran Shambler Be?

Bad
Be remind; wary yourself that triumphant overconfidence is precipitates a dizzying slow and a insidious fall killer!

gently caress. Just lost my Kickstarter custom Hellion. On the FIRST ROOM BATTLE in a Level 6 dungeon. How quickly the tide turns dizzying fall overconfidencearfhja;

Fuckin RIP

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
NO VETERAN SHAMBLER I DON'T WANT TO FIGHT YOU A SECOND TIME THIS RUN

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Taking on the Sunken Crew with special goon co-host. Also introducing a new low audio introduction for every video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBw7ABp8JE8 Centaurs are weird, man.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Deckit posted:

Taking on the Sunken Crew with special goon co-host. Also introducing a new low audio introduction for every video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBw7ABp8JE8 Centaurs are weird, man.

Needs more grumblebus.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Captain Invictus posted:

Well, at least you have two shots at a stun, and hopefully your back ranks have throwing knives.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

A.o.D. posted:

Well, at least you have two shots at a stun, and hopefully your back ranks have throwing knives.
He's still able to be lunged even with the clapperclaws up front, don't need to throw poo poo at him

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Captain Invictus posted:

it's me austin

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Captain Invictus posted:

He's still able to be lunged even with the clapperclaws up front, don't need to throw poo poo at him

never mind.

Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

The friend of all children!

In learning the game I've leveled almost a full 20 slot roster to veteran status. Most of these characters are ok but not really optimized. I'm tempted to restart so I can really min max, or would it make more sense to run vets/champs until the roster thins out naturally?

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Either run them into the ground or edit the configs so that you have a larger roster. Kind of stupid to have this small a roster anyways.

Wizard Styles posted:

DarkestDungeon\campaign\town\buildings\stage_coach\stage_coach.building.json

You can edit that with a text editor, should be self-explanatory since you can only change number of arrivals, roster size and what the first two classes offered at the start at the game are.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
just do the config thing to have a roster of 60ish instead of 25

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
So this is the big bad champion shambler everyone's been talking about right

looks like I'm Gonna Have A Bad Time

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot

Gameko posted:

In learning the game I've leveled almost a full 20 slot roster to veteran status. Most of these characters are ok but not really optimized. I'm tempted to restart so I can really min max, or would it make more sense to run vets/champs until the roster thins out naturally?

It's dumb to restart but at the very least do so by deleting your roster instead of starting a new game. The missions should reset and you will benefit from an upgraded hamlet.

(You don't need really need to min/max)

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Waaaaaait a second, where's my ancestral trinket

I don't have them all, can't the Shambler of any type drop any ancestral?

this is...not a very good reward for killing the champion shambler!!

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
If I recall correctly, the Shambler only drops the Map, Tentacle Idol, Candle, Bottle, and Scroll. The others have to be obtained elsewhere, most likely by finishing long champion dungeons.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Just completed the second Darkest Dungeon mission and I've gotta say I'm feeling like the difficulty of that particular expedition was a little oversold by you guys here in the thread (though I suppose forewarned is forearmed). A bog standard marking party (Arbalest, Occultist, Hound Master, Bounty Hunter) was enough to make short work of pretty much everything, including the Templars, so long as I dedicated my camping skills to stress relief between minibosses. I had a far more hectic time with the first mission.

Anyway, looks like my time with this game's finally drawing to a close. I've beaten all the bosses (excepting the final boss), fully upgraded the town, and collected all the ancestral trinkets. Just gotta get a few stragglers up to level 6 and I'll have done pretty much everything you can do on one save file.

Hilariously enough, I've been playing for over 100+ hours and still only found one single backer journal - not that I really care about those.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

FreeKillB posted:

If I recall correctly, the Shambler only drops the Map, Tentacle Idol, Candle, Bottle, and Scroll. The others have to be obtained elsewhere, most likely by finishing long champion dungeons.

I've already gotten those from running apprentice shamblers. So there's no reason at all to murder harder shamblers other than for the challenge, right?

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
The higher-tier shamblers don't really have rewards that could be considered worth it other than the five ancestral trinkets, so it's definitely suboptimal to activate shrines after that. It might still be worthwhile to go to pitch black, but probably not.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
What are the best strategies for red Cove runs? Those drat fishmen crit me like mad from all positions, resist bleeds and have several high-prot monsters. Not to mention when their tanks guard the exploding thralls...ugh.

And yup, I've kitted out a pair of Grave Robbers and they proved to be very versatile and fun. Now the Crusader is the odd duck sitting out. Low damage output even in Ruins, where his anti-unholy attack should shine, no backline reach or ability to harm hig PROT enemies.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Crusader has a strong default attack even without Unholy, a good AoE, a stun, two heals, and high base HP. Also he's Religious so he gets more out of Vestal camp skills. He's more well-rounded than a lot of classes are, though the nerf to Holy Lance kind of screwed with his positioning ability.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

well if they resist bleed maybe there's something else you could use against them... b.. bl... it's on the tip of my tongue...

plague doctors and occultists tear up the cove. guard them with men at arms or dogs. take a hellion in rank 1 as well for hot hot Iron Swan action.

dunno where you're getting low damage output on your crusaders - are they fully skilled/equipped?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Sephyr posted:

What are the best strategies for red Cove runs? Those drat fishmen crit me like mad from all positions, resist bleeds and have several high-prot monsters. Not to mention when their tanks guard the exploding thralls...ugh.

And yup, I've kitted out a pair of Grave Robbers and they proved to be very versatile and fun. Now the Crusader is the odd duck sitting out. Low damage output even in Ruins, where his anti-unholy attack should shine, no backline reach or ability to harm hig PROT enemies.

One of the loading tooltips notes that the tough scales of the pelagic creatures afford them protection from inordinate exsanguination

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

well if they resist bleed maybe there's something else you could use against them... b.. bl... it's on the tip of my tongue...

plague doctors and occultists tear up the cove. guard them with men at arms or dogs. take a hellion in rank 1 as well for hot hot Iron Swan action.

dunno where you're getting low damage output on your crusaders - are they fully skilled/equipped?

Yup, loaded up on stuff that boosts prot and damage when the light is above 76. Both of my Crusaders also got pretty good quirks, too: +3% melee crit, ruins tactician, Fated. Really not sure why their hits never go above 12-13 damage. Could be just the RNG hating me.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

Blood? It's blood, isn't it?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
With the right trinkets yes, it is blood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
The Crusader's weapon is tied with the Hellion's, and I think the two of them are only beaten by the Abomination and Leper. Smite against Unholy is as strong as a transformed Abomination's Rage, and even without that bonus it's only really beaten by conditional abilities (Marks or bonuses similar to Smite's) and PBS/Lunge/Finale/Bleed Out. It can be bad RNG, and the fact the Crusader's Crit isn't the greatest (Grave Robber tends to "feel" stronger than her stats suggest due to her high Crit rate), but he is very dependable in every respect. I think he's potentially better than a Jester at almost everything a Jester does, even if defensively he's worse than the Man-at-Arms at everything the Man-at-Arms does.

And while Smite may have arguably the worst racial bonus (compared to Collect Bounty, Sacrificial Stab/Abyssal Artillery, and Hound's Rush), Ghouls appear in every dungeon and Thralls are Unholy in the Cove and must die fast, and there are three Unholy bosses: The Necromancer, Prophet, and Crew.