Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Light Gun Man posted:

Some dude at my school wrote his own homebrew JRPG for the ti-83 where you had weapons like coke cans and glasses and I think the final boss was Bill Gates.

Ok, I used to think that I had a TI83 in high school, but I hear about people programming games, and obviously I'm mistaken. Mine was a graphic calculator, ut that's it.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Ok, I used to think that I had a TI83 in high school, but I hear about people programming games, and obviously I'm mistaken. Mine was a graphic calculator, ut that's it.

Iirc 83 was like an 82 plus, and the 82 had basic and asm programs available. I def had a galaxian clone and some other games for the 83.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

UIApplication posted:

Iirc 83 was like an 82 plus, and the 82 had basic and asm programs available. I def had a galaxian clone and some other games for the 83.

Just did a Google Image search and son of a bitch, I DID have an 83. How the gently caress were people doing this?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Just did a Google Image search and son of a bitch, I DID have an 83. How the gently caress were people doing this?

You could write programs in assembler and transfer them to the calculator with a transfer cable. Then you had to write a TI-BASIC program that would access it. The TI-83+ added flash ROM and you could save more programs that would survive battery failure. There were also programs you could access that basically listed all the games you had on your calculator. If you didn't have a cable to transfer from your PC or a friend with a transfer cable, you were poo poo out of luck unless you wanted some slow BASIC games. Everyone in my classes had the TI-83+ and I was stuck with a hand me down TI-83. So while everyone off playing kickass games and RPGs, I was stuck making roller coaster graphs.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

i remember playing a mario clone, tetris, and a racing game on my purple ti-83 IN CLASS!! (can't remember if it's a plus or not).

Kmlkmljkl
Sep 21, 2014

AT NIGHT I GET SO LONELY I JERK IT FURIOUSLY TO THE SIMS

why does that kid have a calculator

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer
e: whoops, doublepost

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Kmlkmljkl posted:

why does that kid have a calculator
Dope Wars/Drugs Wars/Other names was a game that got ported to the TI calculator line at some point and was highly passed around.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

You whippersnappers with your TI-83s. In my day we had to get through pre-calculus with only a TI-81, and we liked it! :corsair:

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
I had the 85. One guy had the 92+ even though it wasn't allowed in the AP exam so he had to buy an 85 too.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The German exchange student had the really big one, whatever that was 10 years ago.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Shockingly TI has updated the 84 a few times. The latest version has a color display, rechargeable batteries, and 4 megs of storage. Goddamn, TI, don't hurt yourselves.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

phantom_dilz posted:

I pay $35 a year for VPN access that permits 4MB/s downloads and equivalent uploads. This would have broken the minds of Internet goers a scant ten years ago.

Except people at universities who would have thought that speed was pathetic about 20 years ago (although yeah, not many other people had fast links then so you had to hope you were downloading from another university). 20 years ago the thought of your ISP throttling based on protocol might have blown minds though!

DOOM3 huh? It's from 1996 so I guess it might be based on DOOM, I wish there were screenshots.

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Look at all you TI nerds, real men use this:

Even though I haven't had a need for graphing calculator since my uni days, I still use it emulated on my phone. I always get strange looks from people who can't grasp RPN.

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?

Germstore posted:

I had the 85. One guy had the 92+ even though it wasn't allowed in the AP exam so he had to buy an 85 too.

TI-89 bitches! It was functionally identical to the 92+, but it WAS allowed in the AP exams. The qwerty keyboard is what disqualified the 92+

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

I just went back to school and I still use my TI-89.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
TI calculators are great for nostalgia about old computer. They are primitive and overly expensive.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
somebody mentioned old warez where big games and other software would be split up into like 50 rar files and if one or two were missing or corrupt you'd be hosed...

...unless you knew about and also had the par files which could repair a certain amount of the archive no matter which part(s) were missing. that is still basically loving magic to me ??? somebody who understands it should write about file parity here

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

thathonkey posted:

somebody mentioned old warez where big games and other software would be split up into like 50 rar files and if one or two were missing or corrupt you'd be hosed...

...unless you knew about and also had the par files which could repair a certain amount of the archive no matter which part(s) were missing. that is still basically loving magic to me ??? somebody who understands it should write about file parity here

I don't know the specifics of the format but let's say you split a file into 5 parts, and then create a 6th file where in every bit position you have a 1 if that bit position has a 1 in an odd number of the other files. So you can lose any single file and since you know whether it should be an even or odd number of 1s you can recreate the file.

Part 1: 111
Part 2: 101
Part 3: 001
Part 4: XXX
Part 5: 110

Parity: 011

You can recreate part 4 because the number of ones is: Even, Odd, Odd (because of the 011 parity). Looking at the four remaining pieces you have Odd, Even, Odd, so you know you need 110 in part 4 to flip the first two bits of parity, and have reconstructed the missing file.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Doctor Bombadil posted:

Even though I haven't had a need for graphing calculator since my uni days, I still use it emulated on my phone. I always get strange looks from people who can't grasp RPN.

These really are the best, I bought one on eBay for college, and a HP-50 later.

TI-86 was a pretty great calculator for TI, though. It had HP style menus at the bottom of the screen instead of the full screen TI-83 crap.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
ti-86 was great imo

my school told us which kind we had to buy though. only scrubs had an 83; try-hards had the 89.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."

The Kins posted:

You could one of those weird people who use pimped out Amigas for things other than playing old Amiga games.

As one of those people there are actually only very few of these people, most of them just buy the parts for some weird hipster nerd cred and have no idea what to even do with them. Also don't kink shame.

The most interesting thing to have a pimped up Amiga for in the 90s was to run 68k Mac emulation. (beyond that was image/video processing/realtime splicing and editing and other special niche uses which were very useful if you needed it but irrelevant for the average user) As the Mac has very OS friendly software compared to the Amiga, it was very very compatible and basically worked with almost all software. For people not being able to imagine how that looked like, just imagine it like running a VM on a modern computer. (and yes, you could switch back and forth between MacOS and AmigaOS and they'd run at the same time and AmigaOS could directly mount MacOS partitions while they were in use and stuff) The fun thing was that a beefy Amiga was actually faster at running MacOS than the average 68k Macs around at that time, especially if equipped with the 68060 (the beefiest and last 68k CPU before Motorola gave up on 68k to do the PowerPC) which never was used in Macs. The 68060 had some hardware bugs in early revisions that you needed workarounds for to make MacOS work properly, though. Also Apple actively sabotaged the 060 working properly with System 8 because they didn't want anyone to make 68060 accelerators and wanted to push the PowerPC Macs which the earliest ones of were not very impressive performance-wise. For a short while, a well equipped Amiga was the fastest Mac you could buy, and that was after Commodore folded. Or if not-so-well-equipped, the cheapest Mac you could buy. (I guess you'd call that a Hackintosh nowadays) There also were the BSDs, and I think NetBSD is still maintained for the Amiga.

Still not a great deal, especially considering how Apple itself was almost dead at that time. An Amiga equipped in this way can run games like Duke3D or Doom or stuff like Full Throttle/Day of the Tentacle no problem though. It is always kinda neat to see my A2000 bought in 1987 pulling off things like running a fully-voiced Full Throttle, but tacking a 32-bit CPU onto a 16-bit System is not the most efficient thing you can do if you can imagine. (later Amigas were 32-bit)

If anyone wonders where to clock a 50 Mhz 68060 performance-wise, In real usage scenarios I'd put it somewhere between a very fast 486 and an early Pentium with having more in common with the Pentium than with the 486 feature-wise, being already 3.3V, being superscalar and also having advanced features like (sort of) an internal temperature sensor and power management. Contrary to the Pentiums, the 68060 doesn't run hot and doesn't need any cooling at stock clocks whatsoever, not even passive. Not a bad CPU at all - just a bit too little, a bit too late and a very lame FPU. Very popular for embedded applications, which is why Freescale (the former semiconductor subdivision of Motorola) still occasionally made improved (die-shrunk and bugfixed) batches of them occasionally, I guess to honor contract obligations. Just like intel "made" the 386 until 2007.

So how many of the people reading in this thread actually had one of the non-intel x86s in the 90s? Over here I didn't know a single person, for private use. I'm always wondering how far-spread they really were.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I think it would be fun to buy an A1200 someday. I think that about a lot of old computers.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Are ti-8x's still like $100 despite the sum of their parts neing worth like three bucks at this point

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

Drug Wars on the 89 was much doper than on the 85.

e: I think there was a not bad for a calculator Mario clone on one of them, too.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

UIApplication posted:

Are ti-8x's still like $100 despite the sum of their parts neing worth like three bucks at this point

Yes. It's total bullshit. You can spend 100 dollars on a TI-84 or whatever, or you can spend another 30 dollars on an nSpire that has a color screen and rechargable batteries. I don't know how they can justify that.

Cojawfee has a new favorite as of 04:31 on Feb 15, 2016

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

My dad has a steadily growing collection of these because I keep finding them at garage sales and poo poo for a couple of bucks and buying them for him

I don't even know how to use RPN, he loving loves that poo poo

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Doctor Bombadil posted:

I still have a working 48G but my GX is long gone. I can only use RPN for complicated stuff to this day, which probably helps as a programmer.

What was that game that was nothing but flying through a cave? I played that poo poo so much.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

drunk asian neighbor posted:

My dad has a steadily growing collection of these because I keep finding them at garage sales and poo poo for a couple of bucks and buying them for him

Someone dropped one of these off at a computer store I worked at. I kept it, it's pretty awesome.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Doctor Bombadil posted:

This is the correct calculator.

I still use mine regularly, but less than I used to. Matlab/Scilab usually wins.
The matrix operations and instant polar/rectangular coordinate conversion make the HP-48 series awesome for electrical engineering. I've had mine for 20 years now. It is worth more used on eBay now than it was new.

quote:

So how many of the people reading in this thread actually had one of the non-intel x86s in the 90s? Over here I didn't know a single person, for private use. I'm always wondering how far-spread they really were.

I am pretty sure I had some Cyrix processor for a short time in the late 90's. Probably just long enough to realize how terrible it was. I also ran with AMD for quite a few years, but that was in the 2000's.

TotalLossBrain has a new favorite as of 04:56 on Feb 15, 2016

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

Police Automaton posted:

TotalLossBrain posted:

I am pretty sure I had some Cyrix processor for a short time in the late 90's. Probably just long enough to realize how terrible it was. I also ran with AMD for quite a few years, but that was in the 2000's.

I had a few, and they were not terrible. What was wrong with yours, if you remember?

I was almost exclusively an AMD guy after the Cyrixes. The Intel processor I have in this machine is, like, the second or third Intel processor I've built around in the last twenty-plus years. For a while, there, AMD processors lost their price-point advantage, and there was no real reason to continue using them, other than supporting a competitor to Intel. I finally broke down and switched to Intel, but it looks like AMDs are at the point of being worthwhile, again.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

TotalLossBrain posted:

Everyone did AMD in the 2000s. I did two generations of AMD and switched back to Intel.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Centripetal Horse posted:

I had a few, and they were not terrible. What was wrong with yours, if you remember?

It was the 5x86, their Pentium Overdrive clone. I went to a P5-100 after that and then to a Pentium Pro 200. What a terrible decision that was.
Re:AMD chat. I used a couple generations of Athlon 64's in this Millennium's first decade.

the poi
Oct 24, 2004

turbo volvo, wooooo!
Grimey Drawer

drunk asian neighbor posted:

My dad still uses the one he got in ~1988 to this day. He's not even emotionally attached to it or anything, it just still does what he needs it to do.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."

Centripetal Horse posted:

Nothing, never had one except AMD in the early, crazy Pentium 4 years. I was just wondering how widespread they were. Now, many years after the fact I got an Cyrix 5x86 I put on an Industrial 486 Board and it's a neat little CPU, except maybe the weak FPU where intel always seems to have known their poo poo better. I also have an K6 III+ around and that's a nice computer also, even though pretty underpowered compared to what else was around at that particular time. In my circle of aquaintances all these non-intels had the reputation of being very bad and I can't quite follow where that even came from. Underpowered compared to often much more expensive CPUs, yes, but bad as in unreliable etc., no, on the contrary. Often they had neat little features intel CPUs didn't have, like various power saving stuff&setting the multiplier via software etc. My theory is they were often paired with cheap and lovely mainboard chipsets/lovely-made boards which was the major cause for many computer problems.

I sometimes play Daggerfall on this.

Casimir Radon posted:

I think it would be fun to buy an A1200 someday. I think that about a lot of old computers.

It's a neat hobby, just don't become a hoarder. Also some general electronics knowledge and soldering skills are very helpful, else you'll have a hard time keeping the old machines running without relying on random kindness of strangers. (which are sometimes indeed very strange)

Lufiron
Nov 24, 2005

when the K7 slot a Athlon processors first came out, I built a comp with one paired to a Abit (remember them?) motherboard that featured a via chipset. That thing was rock solid for its time, and I was the envy of all of my friends. I think it even had either an on board or card highpoint ide controller.

Toys For Ass Bum
Feb 1, 2015

Cojawfee posted:

Everyone did AMD in the 2000s. I did two generations of AMD and switched back to Intel.

Maybe it's time to switch back to AMD now that they're releasing a 32 core CPU :pcgaming:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug
Game Console Infomercials are amazing 20 years or more later

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RB5ALVUs8bU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EysucdmNbWo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqJa6q6gc8g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dV9nAx0TOo