Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Fun fact: ghost metal is shaped into inghosts for storage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

I like to think that Forge originally possessed a suit of armor all those hundreds of years ago. After using it, and the people who would wear it, to fully regenerate, he never left it, and instead the suit just warped more and more till it became part of who he was. He was obviously powerful enough to move around in it, and so it basically became his spirit-based suit of armor. Since he was powerful enough to pick up a whole anvil/stop sign combo and drag that around, he was obviously powerful enough to leave footprints behind, which he only began doing because of the weight of the anvil itself. This also, tangentially, explains all the Bigfoot footprints you keep finding. Some big gorilla spirit keeps lugging heavy rocks all over the place, dropping them, then going away.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Blackheart posted:

Fun fact: ghost metal is shaped into inghosts for storage.

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all
https://twitter.com/paranaturalzack/status/697220570962915328

he buff

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

looks more like he's just big boned.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Chris Redforge

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
http://www.paranatural.net/comic/chapter-5-page-98

Dimitri bullshit semi-confirmed.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat
Hmm, you know this has nothing to do with where the comic is going or anything, but I'm now really curious about Ollie's home life. Good times.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Matlock Birthmark posted:

Hmm, you know this has nothing to do with where the comic is going or anything, but I'm now really curious about Ollie's home life. Good times.

Mrs. Oop probably has her husband whipped

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Seeing that reaction, and after hearing Issac feeling guilty of injuring someone on the team way back in the beginning of the chapter (yeah I know right), it now seems like Dimitri was that guy and maybe had a falling out with the crew after said events.

Either that or Spender hosed up like he always does.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Both can be true.

So are Johnny and RJ planning to try and bully Ed while he's tagging along with Isabel? Because that could end rough for them.

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
I feel like Johnny would know better. Clearly from her gym class alpha status everyone knows Isabel isn't one to be messed with.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

They're probably tailing him to get him alone.

Which they will because Isabel is still mad at him.

VictorGrunn
Feb 15, 2004
Ye Guilty

Tenebrais posted:

They're probably tailing him to get him alone.

Which they will because Isabel is still mad at him.

Man, I wonder if this will turn into 'Isabel abandons Ed when he needs her by his side, just like he abandoned her'.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

VictorGrunn posted:

Man, I wonder if this will turn into 'Isabel abandons Ed when he needs her by his side, just like he abandoned her'.

Nah. Isabel is a good person.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
nah, nobody's a good person. most people try though, and that's the important part, usually

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Isabel will come through when needed, both reassuring Ed that she still likes him and also making him feel like an even bigger jerk.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Yeah, I have the feeling that she would consider abandoning Ed, and even start to, but be unable to go through with it.

(Also Johnny will notice them doing Spectral poo poo)

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Cubone posted:

Nah. Isabel is a good person.

Unlike the Burger child

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Tollymain posted:

nah, nobody's a good person. most people try though, and that's the important part, usually

Wow look who forgot about Eightfold's dying speech

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
My favorite part about that is how Zack immediately does the same thing with Max and Scrapdragon.

Scrapdragon eyes killed me.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Shindragon posted:

My favorite part about that is how Zack immediately does the same thing with Max and Scrapdragon.

Scrapdragon eyes killed me.

Funniest bit from that entire chapter.

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics

Suaimhneas posted:

Wow look who forgot about Eightfold's dying speech

Looking back on this versus the art now, there's a lot of definite improvements (anatomy, linework, stylistic consistency), but I feel like Zack's taken a small step back in terms of color and contrast.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

PhysicsFrenzy posted:

Looking back on this versus the art now, there's a lot of definite improvements (anatomy, linework, stylistic consistency), but I feel like Zack's taken a small step back in terms of color and contrast.

This is still my favorite page of the entire comic art-wise, from a year and a half ago. The general, I dunno, "sketch-ishness" of the last few panels really works for me.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
So y'all are in agreement that when Zack busts his rear end and goes really creative with composition and action and style, he really shines?

I agree.

A good artist.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

And we have an update!

Alt text: That's right, folks, every spectral with a spirit is sort of like The Flash

Poor Ed, he's just trying to do the right thing.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

the danging of Ed Burger by the spectral Isabel Guerra

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Haven't seen faces that good since Johnny and crew saw Max and crew floating.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
That was a pretty drat good chapter.

Gotta love Isabel is careful about using her powers. Although she was using it wily nily in the gym, I guess with everyone focusing on attacking, nobody noticed her swinging wildy in mid air for no reason. :v:

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Haven't seen faces that good since Johnny and crew saw Max and crew floating.

But do you think it's cool that he levitates?

...Still one of the best Johnny pages. Advanced interrogation techniques :allears:

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Isabel somehow has most of the best faces in the comic after Johnny.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

Shindragon posted:

That was a pretty drat good chapter.

Gotta love Isabel is careful about using her powers. Although she was using it wily nily in the gym, I guess with everyone focusing on attacking, nobody noticed her swinging wildy in mid air for no reason. :v:

If this was real life her actions in the gym would be suspicious, but she specifically used the spectral energy powers that aren't visible or have effect on normals. Ed on the other hand is just flat out being the Flash. Mind you she still used it to vault six feet into the air though, so ya.

I wonder if going into spirit mode causes a spectral enhanced physical fatigue as well. Because if I could be the Flash, I think I'd always be looking to find opportunities to be the Flash. Or hell, just pop into spirit time to clean the house.

Matlock Birthmark fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Feb 16, 2016

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Interesting that Ed identifies as a Guerra over a Burger

e: the title is up for grabs, go get it max

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

Matlock Birthmark posted:

I wonder if going into spirit mode causes a spectral enhanced physical fatigue as well. Because if I could be the Flash, I think I'd always be looking to find opportunities to be the Flash. Or hell, just pop into spirit time to clean the house.

Yeah, I'd figure there has to be some kind of restriction on it, because right now it seems like there is literally no reason to not just always be in spirit mode during a fight. It might be that you can't use your spectral or tool's power while communicating with your spirit, since that would actually kind of make sense.

VerdantSquire fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Feb 18, 2016

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

VerdantSquire posted:

Yeah, I'd figure there has to be some kind of restriction on it, because right now it seems like there is literally no reason to just always be in spirit mode during a fight. It might be that you can't use your spectral or tool's power while communicating with your spirit, since that would actually kind of make sense.

I don't think it's really all that tiring since Spender used it to take a breather during his fight with Forge. But not being able to use the spirit's powers during that time makes sense.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Who What Now posted:

I don't think it's really all that tiring since Spender used it to take a breather during his fight with Forge. But not being able to use the spirit's powers during that time makes sense.

It was specifically stated that it puts strain on the spirit in question. I can definitely see it being difficult, if not impossible, to use a spirit's powers while communicating with it. Conversely, being able to instantly and seamlessly transition from real to spirit world while fighting would give a pretty big advantage in a fight where speed is needed.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
also, hosting a spirit within a tool or yourself would be a combat advantage for that purpose alone if nothing else. even if the themed ability it grants is utterly pointless, you can still grab moments of super-speed

it strikes me as kind of funny that this comic is such a cartoon when the inspiration for spirit communication hacks was purestrain horror movie stuff (glowing eyes, sudden bursts of jerky speed, passing through walls, etc)

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I wonder what it'd look like if two spectrals entered their spirit worlds at the same time. Moving at normal speed to each other, but navigating different worlds.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

MikeJF posted:

I wonder what it'd look like if two spectrals entered their spirit worlds at the same time. Moving at normal speed to each other, but navigating different worlds.

A cool gimmick for an indie coop puzzle game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Cat Mattress posted:

A cool gimmick for an indie coop puzzle game.

I could also see that kind of thing working as a point and click adventure, with there being a normal world and a spirit world, possibly one for each character you control and you use the differences between their spirit worlds to solve puzzles and get around.