Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TeeMerk
Jun 9, 2013

Endbuster posted:

Arctic Cheetah is king of lights. Lots of trial mechs for you to dork around with so you learn what you don't like. Something really good may be snoring to play.

How much are the BJ and Quicky G nerfs gonna hurt ya Endy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endbuster
Jan 7, 2013

There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.

TeeMerk posted:

How much are the BJ and Quicky G nerfs gonna hurt ya Endy?

Oh not too bad. I don't own any BJs :D I only played the Quickballs when there wasn't tonnage for my Timbers. I'm a dirty dirty clanner and prefer to play clan mechs. :/

Miss yah pal.

(oh lol I missed that the G was getting buffs? neat.)

Endbuster fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Feb 14, 2016

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

The Repo Man posted:

Arctic Cheetah with ECM is usually the light of choice with all SPL. Firestarters are cheaper, but have the XL engine to worry about.

The cheetah is cheaper overall, since you don't have to buy ferro, endo, and dhs and an XL engine. All of which cost 6+ million in addition to the cost of the mech. The cheetah is a bargain by comparison.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
Has that big ban wave happened yet? I really want to know which one of those groups that guy was talking about during the town hall.

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

Love Stole the Day posted:

Has that big ban wave happened yet? I really want to know which one of those groups that guy was talking about during the town hall.
That's a big negatory, hence people getting short about the topic. The assumption seems to be, if it's going to happen it would have happened by now, that the whole cheat detection is just smoke an mirrors and the last ban wave was due to cheaters being really blatant and streaming themselves during a tourney and not to any actual detection algorithm.

JudgeJoeBrown
Mar 23, 2007

A few of us fought a 228 stack and had a lot of questionable deaths in that FW match this evening.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Tujague posted:

Also, I don't know about you guys, but I bound "throttle 100%" to the E key so I could just punch it and roll out. That's also how I found out that bringing up the map or battlegrid or opening a text box sometimes cuts your throttle to zero and sometimes doesn't, so you never know if your mech is going to keep marching while you chat or spy the route :pgi: :pgi: :pgi: :tali: :weedass: :wtc: :iiam:

I have never had that problem. I'm assuming throttle decay is off so who knows what the gently caress. I, however, bound E to override. :pcgaming:

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

For the pilot skills that have 5 tiers to them - if I buy the module, then upgrade it further by spending GXP on it, does the module automatically upgrade? Or does SRM-4 cooldown tier 1 cost 3 million, the exact same 3 million as SRM-4 cooldown tier 5, and no, you have to buy it again to get the added benefit?

I could believe either scenario I mean their real money prices for anything are gougey as poo poo. I could 100% believe they gently caress you over for no goddamn reason. You literally can't buy tier 1 once you research tier 2 and they all cost the exact same amount but I could believe they were dicks about it and once you purchase it, its set in stone.

I got SRM-4 cooldown maxed out before I bought it just in case but I have missile boats that could use a LRM-10 boost and I'm out of GXP.

Krinkle fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Feb 14, 2016

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

Krinkle posted:

For the pilot skills that have 5 tiers to them - if I buy the module, then upgrade it further by spending GXP on it, does the module automatically upgrade? Or does SRM-4 cooldown tier 1 cost 3 million, the exact same 3 million as SRM-4 cooldown tier 5, and no, you have to buy it again to get the added benefit?

I could believe either scenario I mean their real money prices for anything are gougey as poo poo. I could 100% believe they gently caress you over for no goddamn reason. You literally can't buy tier 1 once you research tier 2 and they all cost the exact same amount but I could believe they were dicks about it and once you purchase it, its set in stone.

I got SRM-4 cooldown maxed out before I bought it just in case but I have missile boats that could use a LRM-10 boost and I'm out of GXP.

You get the added benefit of upgrading the thing without having to buy it again. So a Cooldown level 1 will automatically upgrade to level 2 when you upgrade it.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

i'm really bad at heavy mechs

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010

hemale in pain posted:

i'm really bad at heavy mechs

This is pretty vague but I'm sorry you don't do well in heavies :(

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Sard posted:

another can carry an ERLL with four machine guns

If you're not putting a Large Pulse Laser in the Spider 5K you're doing it wrong. :colbert:

You can either fit a Large Pulse and the biggest possible engine into it, or run with the XL255 from the slower ECM spider (it's enough) to pack a Large Pulse and four machineguns.

50% cooldown + 5% cooldown + 12% cooldown = fun times with a large pulse Spider 5K.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Feb 14, 2016

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

ZombyDog posted:

That's a big negatory, hence people getting short about the topic. The assumption seems to be, if it's going to happen it would have happened by now, that the whole cheat detection is just smoke an mirrors and the last ban wave was due to cheaters being really blatant and streaming themselves during a tourney and not to any actual detection algorithm.

It's almost like I'm clairvoyant about :pgi:

I wish I didn't have this super power

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
Now that I've found out how to efficiently chainfire my ac/5 on my WHM-BW I've found a renewed love for ballistics. Before I relied on in-game chainfire which sucked rear end. But now my AC/5 fire off so much quicker it's like a drat machine gun. A chain gun if you will.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Stringbean posted:

This is pretty vague but I'm sorry you don't do well in heavies :(

I'm just bitching rather than asking for advice :)

i'm doing better now i'm playing more cautious, i just gotta remember i'm a huge walking target and gotta be way more cautious than i'am in my medium

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

Love Stole the Day posted:

No. I know it's hard to be patient about a topic such as this but there is a method behind all this.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

Number19 posted:

No. I know it's hard to be patient about a topic such as this but there is a method behind all this.

Russ has declared that they have to be absolutely sure before banning anyone with a golden Timber Wolf, so the two plus weeks since declaring they have a list of names for the banwave have been devoted to giving the whales time to generate plausible deniability by losing a bunch of games.

Mysteriously, once the banwave happens, it will be discovered that nobody who owns a golden mech was banned and the banwave is significantly smaller than expected. The next banwave will be scheduled for 2019.

Multiboxing will continue unabated in CW.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Number19 posted:

Is the method to wait until the entire server population starts using helios? I get killed by someone using it at least 2-3 times a night and it completely ruins the game for me and all the rest of us who are still holding on to this sinking ship. The usage is crazy blatant, so much so that even PGI apologists realize whats going on. The new clan I'm trying to join, AWOL are a bunch of good dudes and I was surprised that they knew whats up, because they don't take losses to 228, lord or EMP seriously because of it.

I'm also using it as a bellwether though, because if there are bans then they should be pretty lateral and cross clan and guild boundaries (and whales). If it's obvious that PGI is spewing favoritism then I can finally uninstall the game for good.

What will more likely actually happen is that I'll get banned too because I adjust DPI on the fly while in game to better track center torsos or when sniping so that will be flagged as cheating.

Washout fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Feb 14, 2016

A Curvy Goonette
Jul 3, 2007

"Anyone who enjoys MWO is a shitty player. You have to hate it in order to be pro like me."

I'm actually just very good at curb stomping randoms on a team. :ssh:

Washout posted:

Is the method to wait until the entire server population starts using helios? I get killed by someone using it at least 2-3 times a night and it completely ruins the game for me and all the rest of us who are still holding on to this sinking ship. The usage is crazy blatant, so much so that even PGI apologists realize whats going on. The new clan I'm trying to join, AWOL are a bunch of good dudes and I was surprised that they knew whats up, because they don't take losses to 228, lord or EMP seriously because of it.

I'm also using it as a bellwether though, because if there are bans then they should be pretty lateral and cross clan and guild boundaries (and whales). If it's obvious that PGI is spewing favoritism then I can finally uninstall the game for good.

What will more likely actually happen is that I'll get banned too because I adjust DPI on the fly while in game to better track center torsos or when sniping so that will be flagged as cheating.

Please don't join AWOL.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

A Curvy Goonette posted:

Please don't join AWOL.

Name a clan that does clan side clan wars nightly for me then. Because I've been looking and there are not hardly any. I used to be in girl and go on the different clan teamspeaks but those are all vacant and dead now.

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

Making the impossible possumable
Better AWOL than Team Helios, at least.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Something I wanted to share:

A couple days ago I had a match on lava planet map and we kind of just walked around in single file, until we hit some sort of pass in the lava mountains.

I was just mindlessly trudging along with my Marauder and only noticed something was wrong when someone was telling us to "push", whatever that means. I guessed it meant we had to move fast through the pass, which had suddenly lit up with weapon fire. It was a trap.

Of course no-one did this push-thing and I got stuck behind an Atlas cowering at the mouth of the pass. After doing some team damage into the backs of those idiots, everything suddenly went quiet. I noticed I was the only heavy mech still standing, with 2-3 lights cowering left of me, in some kind of gap between the rocks.

At this point I just turned around and walked out, planning to walk around lava mountain until I found the way up into the large open area the enemy was waiting for us. Of course this turned out to be the worst plan ever, since the moment I walked out of the pass, the enemy poured through it and executed the three lights behind me. Now as the last mech, I stubbornly executed my dumb plan and my slow Marauder very slowly trudged through the mountains until I found the way back into the area behind death pass.

Of course meanwhile, the 10 surviving mechs on the other side had dispersed all over the map, searching for me. For a couple moments I just kind of walked around, a bit at a loss of what to do. I then walked over to the mountain of dead mechs and stood in silence for a couple seconds. And lo and behold! Weapon fire hit me from behind. Some players had doubled back and found me again.

So I turned around and shot my PPCs all over the place until I was brought down by a trio of enemy mechs. It took them an agonizing amount of time to bring me down, even though I'm sure at least two of them had open fire lanes to my back the entire time. Even outgunned, outsmarted and playing with a joystick instead of a mouse, I very nearly took one of them with me.

This was the stupidest match ever. :shepface:

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
The worst part of that story was that you were using PPC

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

The worst part of that story was the story part.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Stringbean posted:

The worst part of that story was that you were using PPC a joystick

:wtc:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
A couple matches ago I tried using a mouse again, but it didn't work out. I was as bad at shooting with a mouse as I was with a joystick. So instead I ramped up the sensitivity for my joystick and now I can move the target cursor as fast and smoothly as with a mouse.

To be fair, if I hadn't tried mouse control again, I wouldn't have noticed how lovely my joystick was calibrated. Now I can actually hit things (sometimes)!

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Stop using a joystick.

That Gobbo
Mar 27, 2010
I need a big flashing warning every time I start a game that says "JUST GO WITH THE PUBBIE PACK OR YOU'RE GONNA DIE"

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Libluini posted:

A couple days ago I had a match on lava planet map and we kind of just walked around in single file, until we hit some sort of pass in the lava mountains.

I was just mindlessly trudging along with my Marauder and only noticed something was wrong when someone was telling us to "push", whatever that means. I guessed it meant we had to move fast through the pass, which had suddenly lit up with weapon fire. It was a trap.

Of course no-one did this push-thing and I got stuck behind an Atlas cowering at the mouth of the pass. After doing some team damage into the backs of those idiots, everything suddenly went quiet. I noticed I was the only heavy mech still standing, with 2-3 lights cowering left of me, in some kind of gap between the rocks.

At this point I just turned around and walked out, planning to walk around lava mountain until I found the way up into the large open area the enemy was waiting for us. Of course this turned out to be the worst plan ever, since the moment I walked out of the pass, the enemy poured through it and executed the three lights behind me. Now as the last mech, I stubbornly executed my dumb plan and my slow Marauder very slowly trudged through the mountains until I found the way back into the area behind death pass.

Of course meanwhile, the 10 surviving mechs on the other side had dispersed all over the map, searching for me. For a couple moments I just kind of walked around, a bit at a loss of what to do. I then walked over to the mountain of dead mechs and stood in silence for a couple seconds. And lo and behold! Weapon fire hit me from behind. Some players had doubled back and found me again.

So I turned around and shot my PPCs all over the place until I was brought down by a trio of enemy mechs. It took them an agonizing amount of time to bring me down, even though I'm sure at least two of them had open fire lanes to my back the entire time. Even outgunned, outsmarted and playing with a joystick instead of a mouse, I very nearly took one of them with me.

i also play video games

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?
gently caress that go flanking, die, and escape whatever turtlefest pubbies are doing.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

I do not have any clan mechs. I want to use pulse lasers or something. Not LRM boat, not SRM brawler, probably. I have those. What mech am I thinking of but don't know yet?

When mechs go on "sale" is that sale in real money credits or earnable credits also?

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012

Libluini posted:

A couple matches ago I tried using a mouse again, but it didn't work out. I was as bad at shooting with a mouse as I was with a joystick. So instead I ramped up the sensitivity for my joystick and now I can move the target cursor as fast and smoothly as with a mouse.

To be fair, if I hadn't tried mouse control again, I wouldn't have noticed how lovely my joystick was calibrated. Now I can actually hit things (sometimes)!

Try turning down the sensitivity on your mouse instead and giving that another try. It makes fine aiming a lot easier.

grissenko
Jan 18, 2006

Oh he's so pringles. Where yo curleh mustache at?!
Fun Shoe

Libluini posted:

This is basically 70% of pub games, and when you are on the winning side it is utterly fantastic. I had something like this happen to me on Tourmaline with my Arctic Cheetah. My team pushed into the middle on assault, got boxed in and murdered while I was running back to our base to root out the one light they sent in to capture. I killed him, then they slowly converged on me. I took out a medium and two lights before their heavy and assault mechs rolled in and buggered me. It was an excitingly stupid match. And don't listen to the negativity about your PPCs on your Marauder in pubs, it's no big deal. Rolling with the ones I had on mine stock I ended up getting a dozen kills Friday. Build how you want, play how you want, just have fun.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Krinkle posted:

I do not have any clan mechs. I want to use pulse lasers or something. Not LRM boat, not SRM brawler, probably. I have those. What mech am I thinking of but don't know yet?

When mechs go on "sale" is that sale in real money credits or earnable credits also?

do you want a pulse laser clan 'mech? Arctic Cheetah is the way to go

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

Krinkle posted:

Wolverene-6K for 3 LPL, Thunderbolts of various stripes, Crabs and Blackjacks do pulse lasers well too, Crabs are probably one of the best with the upcoming Blackjack nerf.

Any clan mech can do lasers well, start with stormcrows and move to timberwolves if you want those instead. Stormcrow can mount 14 lasers, timberwolf only 8ish but can do quad large pulse if you want. After the nova gets rescaled it will probably be great too, but in the meantime only if you really know how to manage heat and use coolshots.

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

So many loving games today on terra therma and caustic where first thing some shitlord goes "everybody rush the middle" and then everybody just charges right out into the hottest, most exposed, easiest to flank area of the map and we all die inside of three minutes gently caress this stupid game and the assholes who play it

I somehow only have 4 matches today with over 150 match score for the weekend challenges gently caress everything

Reztes fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Feb 15, 2016

Lonjon
Jun 26, 2007

Books are the real treasures of the world!
Fun Shoe
Tonight I'm trying to get easy CBills by doing the Valentine's Day event in the solo queue. Also, I'm Tier 5. I decided to take my Hero loving Locust into the solo queue..

Tier5.jpg

I'm posting this screenshot not because I'm a good player, because I'm not. I'm extremely average at best. Tier 5 just makes me a a moderate fish in a tiny puddle. In this match I happened to find a kindred spirit in my friend Dhalsim. We each put a quarter into this game, we stuck together, I did my thing, he did his, we watched each other's backs, and this score card happened.

Tier 5.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.

PoptartsNinja posted:

50% cooldown + 5% cooldown + 12% cooldown = fun times with a large pulse Spider 5K.

I tried this and oh my god. After I kill someone and stop firing, there's just a stacked series of LPL sound effects ending one after another while the game catches up.

Lonjon
Jun 26, 2007

Books are the real treasures of the world!
Fun Shoe
The worst thing about Tier 5 solo queue is Polar Highlands. If Polar Highlands is available for a vote, those jerks will always choose it. Always.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

Lonjon posted:

Pirate's Bane stuff

The Pirate's Bane is a legit terror. If you aren't already, run 4 ML with cool down and range mods. Learn how to harass the gently caress out of assaults and enjoy your c-bills.

• Locked thread