Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?
Just won a 1DD and 2Sub game against 1DD 1CL and 1BB at tier 8 and didn't save pictures because I was too busy going "Dude what" to realize we had won after my Somers ganked the NorCarolina with a full torp spread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I have been depth-charging people incorrectly for weeks.

The key is to fire slightly BEFORE the cursor is on them so you'll hit closer to the center and get more damage. :negative:

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

Night10194 posted:

I have been depth-charging people incorrectly for weeks.

The key is to fire slightly BEFORE the cursor is on them so you'll hit closer to the center and get more damage. :negative:

yes, there is half second delay or so as they fall off the boat, one of the Brits is a bit more instant but its still a good idea

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Why do I always get the teams where the battleship players never leave their spawn? They just want to sit at the far end of the map and range like WoT artillery. Never mind that while they can artillery, the weight of their armor, health, and secondaries is quite important. Also, it is easier to lead when the target is only half max range versus firing max range shots and having only 2 shells land from the scatter.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Moving reduces your accuracy, didn't you get the memo?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

JuffoWup posted:

Why do I always get the teams where the battleship players never leave their spawn?

This is every BB player, hth.

Though there are actual, good reasons to hold still or at least take it ahead slow in a BB (it reduces the range you'll be spotted at and if you're firing with the aid of a scout, can help you stay stealthed while attacking, which is critical) they only come up once you've already gotten into a good firing position. A good BB acts much more like an actual sniper, finding a good spot where they can hit a ton of dudes, doing it, and then repositioning when the enemy starts to zero in on where they're being shot from. If the target is half max range you'll be lit up and probably hit by most of the enemy BBs; if you're shooting at capital ships they're easy to hit at max range and the plunging fire through the decks makes the shots more likely to pen.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!
Finally upgraded Macmillan, so combined with Lutjens my Pennsylvania is doing +18% damage all the time! :toot:

Getting a couple of duplicate 3-star dudes helped things along. Now to decide who I'm going to spend qualification points on next; I'm thinking maybe Luckner since he's only 1 star and upgrading him can wring another 2% disguise out of him.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Making him 3 star also means he tops out at like 160 base Command ability, which makes him pretty good at whatever position you have him fill while he's buffing your bote.

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?
Mazz and Slim and co may have totally graped me and Night in that one match but I don't see them killing a UBoat with a Connecticuts torpedos!

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
Couple guys to look for once you get Luckner, Mass, Otto, Arashi and Macmillan all settled. Willis Lee is a good CA/BB crewmen as he has a 10% aiming time skill, and Max Horton has a disguise skill along with some other small torpedo buffs, which is nice compared to forcing Dolittle or others into that spot. Disguise is more valuable than pure spotting Im thinking because it allows DDs a wider range gap of unspotted shooting and I think disguise is a percentage thing so it scales up as you climb in tier instead of flat bonuses. Musel also isn't bad if you can get him to 4 stars.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Feb 12, 2016

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I was talking to Groggy about this last night, but I've got a buddy who doesn't post here, but he's both pretty good at the game and has no fleet. Since we don't have a bunch of competition for fleet slots right now, would it be alright to bring a non-goon into Goonfleet?

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
Every game I've played like this, friends of goons are always okay so long as they don't end up completely intolerable. That's probably even more true in this game since we barely interact in any meaningful way.

You know where I stand given I'd still be okay with the 4chan thing as its just more people for FB.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I told him so and he applied, he's kommy5. He's a pretty good DD scout driver and a competent BB, and we could always use more of both, I think.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!
I heard you don't get spotting xp if you are spotting a ship getting damaged while it's inside smoke. People are complaining it's hard to get renown in high tiers because people smoke so aggressively.

Is there any truth to this?

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Panfilo posted:

I heard you don't get spotting xp if you are spotting a ship getting damaged while it's inside smoke. People are complaining it's hard to get renown in high tiers because people smoke so aggressively.

If you spot a ship, a teammate fires at it and then it smokes and disappears you don't get the spotting damage. It counts as if the teammate was spotting their own target.

It's pretty annoying, the other day I had a game where I lost something like 13k spotting damage because the ships I was spotting kept premium smoking and sitting still. I don't really care about renown and you're still winning the game for your team, but it would be nice to get credit for it instead of placing last.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Today I managed to shame our BBs forward with the 'click on botes to gain EXP and levels' spiel. We managed to come from behind and win once they actually started fighting. :unsmith:

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Panfilo posted:

You don't get spotting xp when boats get hit while "invisible". This includes the ship in smokes.

Renown is a weird thing but I think I can break it down.

Getting renown depends on how you place on the results tab, which is always organised by descending xp. 1st always gets you renown, last will lose you renown. In between are a bunch of places with varying effects.

As you increase in military rank, you start getting stricter requirements for renown earning places, as well as increasing losses for low placements.

At tier 8, most games are 3v3. The renown system breaks down, because there aren't enough pubbies. Last place will always lose renown, even if you only have 50xp less than 2nd place. 2nd place is in the middle of first and third, so you get middlepoint rewards/penalties. When you're a 2-star admiral, the increased stringency of renown rewards means that getting "middle-place" (3-5th in a bigger match) warrants you 0 renown or even negative renown.

As a high tier DD, you have to focus more on spotting instead of damage. People smoke at high tiers as soon as they get hit (or randomly), and you lose vision, but often they will still get hit by shells. That damage goes to the shooter, not the spotter, and so you'll get less xp overall.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!
Isn't that contradictory though? You need to spot in high tier DD play... But because people are spamming smoke you're getting little to no spotting xp for it, and even if your team wins you could end up losing 20 renown in spite of being an essential contribution. It sounds like a lot of work for other players' benefit :(

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
There's nothing you can really do to fix that though unless you make it so the last person who spotted it gets spotting credit but that probably makes things complicated when both people can actually see it.

The simple answer is to make sure you shoot at a lot of things whenever you can. You get screwed a bit at 8+, but at 6-7 I can generally get 12+ renown but just making sure I keep harassing everything by shooting from that 3.3-3.5km gap.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Panfilo posted:

Isn't that contradictory though? You need to spot in high tier DD play... But because people are spamming smoke you're getting little to no spotting xp for it, and even if your team wins you could end up losing 20 renown in spite of being an essential contribution. It sounds like a lot of work for other players' benefit :(

You can turn renown off. I do it whenever I play 8s.

Also I don't even play 8s out of platoon because I don't like dealing with bad pubs. So I'm actually playing for the team each time!

Slim Jim Pickens fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Feb 13, 2016

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?
I did it again, another UBoat sunk by my Connecticuts' Torpedos.

I even got kill credit for it!

El_Molestadore
Apr 2, 2005

Time to die hero
Get on for fleet battles goons :)

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Totally forgot they have an afternoon fleet battle. Will aim to make it this evening.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Just about time for fleet battle, let's go shoot botes!

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Night10194 posted:

Just about time for fleet battle, let's go shoot botes!

Late due to babies, plan to join in a bit.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

How is nation balance in this game? Are some tech trees strictly better than others for certain ship classes or is it mostly a play-style and aesthetic thing? The OP doesn't do much to distinguish between them.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
Nation balance is pretty good but largely irrelevant. Play the boats you like. There are some good boats and bad boats in every line but if you play with goons and figure out the mechanics you can beat like 90% of the people playing this game regardless of boat.

That being said:

US subs are mediocre, all of the DDs with the dual gun mounts are good, the CAs are good to great and the BBs are good to great all the way up. CAs are harder to play than BBs because if you get seen you get hit hard.

German subs are small and dangerous but still subs. German cruisers are mediocre but can have their moments, German BBs have great range and good damage but faults of their own. Scharnhorst is the only standout GR BB we've seen.

Brit DDs are like the US, great with the dual mounts and mediocre without.

Japanese subs are huge but can ram other subs well, which is surprisingly useful. Jap DDs are probably the best available since its basically the same boat from the Fubuki up. Jap CAs start slow but get good around the Myoko and stay that way. Jap BBs are slow to reload but hit pretty hard. Ise and Tosa+ are the better ones, the rest are okay.

The differences in the CVs are mostly irrelevant so play what looks cool, there are small things you might notice but until you are good at CVs in general those differences will not matter at all.

CLs in general past tier 6 suffer because the game sizes are too small and you just get hammered by the first BB to see you. The tier 2 and 3 CLs are universally garbage and you should free XP past them.

Also, I won't be around for FB, leaving in like 5 minutes for the night.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Feb 14, 2016

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

We need at least one more goon for fleet battles!

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

German sub is krupp steel, invincible to gun. This I have proved this night.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
I'm going camping until Wednesday so good luck in fbs!

Also I platooned with a random pubbie today and had these games. And I mean random pubbie, the guy had like 18 games.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
If you need room in the fleet, feel free to kick me out. Game just isn't fun anymore.

vrath
Jul 6, 2015

Buy 1 get 1 bottle of Lysol FREE!
applied.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Are fleet battles still low tier garbage?

Little Abigail
Jul 21, 2011

College Slice

Stanley Pain posted:

Are fleet battles still low tier garbage?

We were up against a lot of bads last time, yes. Though there are a few groups who still kick the absolute poo poo out of us.

Had a really good and fun game today that got me to 100k damage for the event today. Didn't look to be that way at first as it was a 10v10 night battle that had me in a corner in my Pennsylvania frantically dodging torps from two subs for half the match. Once a DD and a CL managed to distract them I was able to run away from them. After that I ended up running into a massive fray. At the time it was 7v5 for the other team. I nailed a Repulse with a salvo, but then it smoked up, so next one I somehow absolutely vaporized a DD from full health with what looked like 6-8 direct hits from a salvo. After that the Repulse popped back up so quickload nazi and a secondary volley sunk that. Then, a CA rushed up towards me. Right before I could fire it managed to dissapear, so I just said gently caress it and blind fired with my secondaries hitting it, then I just decided to blind fire my main guns at it as well, because why not, and sunk it with them. After that we capped for the win. All of that was within a minute.

Quite possibly the most fun match I've had in this game.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Those moments of quick action when everything is going batshit insane around you and you're trying to juggle six things at once are the best parts in this game.

Little Abigail
Jul 21, 2011

College Slice
Pretty much, yeah. This was the first night battle I've ever had that was more then just a 5v5, or the far more common 3v3. If I can get larger night battles more often that would be great because unlike a 3v3 one I had earlier in the day that ended with only one ship on the enemy team doing damage and no one else, no one sunk, and ended via capping after 10 minutes of sailing halfway around the maps edge, this one was super fun and full of fights popping up out of nowhere.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
I don't remember seeing it anywhere in the first few pages, but can anyone tell me what the two torp speeds mean? Is that a range they can fly at, or is one a at launch speed while the other is the cruising speed?

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

Any tips for an aspiring cruiser player? So far I've found I've had the best success by sticking with my capital ships and trying to frag destroyers while running like hell or smoke bombing if a battleship gets a bead on me. I have the Konigsberg 1915 right now and I've found it too slow to do primary anti sub duty, I find myself a sitting duck too often chasing after them.

I'm just playing normal mm with buddies, nothing competitive.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

JuffoWup posted:

I don't remember seeing it anywhere in the first few pages, but can anyone tell me what the two torp speeds mean? Is that a range they can fly at, or is one a at launch speed while the other is the cruising speed?

The first speed is the real speed, the second speed is for premium torpedoes.
There's no reason to use premium torpedoes.

ATP_Power posted:

Any tips for an aspiring cruiser player? So far I've found I've had the best success by sticking with my capital ships and trying to frag destroyers while running like hell or smoke bombing if a battleship gets a bead on me. I have the Konigsberg 1915 right now and I've found it too slow to do primary anti sub duty, I find myself a sitting duck too often chasing after them.

I'm just playing normal mm with buddies, nothing competitive.

Cruisers up to tier 3 (tier 4 for the Germans) are pretty bad. You hardly out gun destroyers and you're much easier to see and hit.
Play it like a bad destroyer that can't scout I guess, shoot at destroyers and enemies that are fighting someone else. You can shoot HE at destroyers to do a bit more damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

I would hesitate to call the Furutaka decent though. :v:

Also the Atlanta uses the same gun as US destroyers so don't load HE in the Atlanta since it's hard to penetrate most ships with 5-inch HE in your MM range. Just load AP and blaze away at everything.

• Locked thread