Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I don't feel quite so bad now about hanging them on the springs and having them fall off half a dozen times during the job even though the reel of wire is maybe within three feet of my hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Better to gently lower them till they hang on the hoses than to let them drop and jerk the poo poo out of the hose 6 times, though...

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

kastein posted:

Better to gently lower them till they hang on the hoses than to let them drop and jerk the poo poo out of the hose 6 times, though...

Fine, dad, I'll use the wire.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

This is an excellent form of payment.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Needs more AK-47 love.

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Fine, dad, I'll use the wire.

These caliper hangers are really handy - they're cheap and less fiddly than using wire. I picked up a set on impulse a while ago and I'm really glad I did.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

zundfolge posted:

These caliper hangers are really handy - they're cheap and less fiddly than using wire. I picked up a set on impulse a while ago and I'm really glad I did.
Huh that's actually not bad and easy enough to replicate. I've always used a bungee cord looped around the shock with the bare metal hooks through the caliper.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Since I'm a poor without a lift I always let them rest on a tall cardboard box next to the assembly when I have them off for brake work

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

zundfolge posted:

Hanging pot plant rods are cheaper and easier to get at your local gardening store

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

My wife always has spools of steel wire around for reasons, so I just cut a couple feet and make a big loop through a caliper bolthole and some piece of car, and twist-tie the ends together with pliars. No possibility of it falling even if I whack it with something, but still easy to kind of shove out of the way if it's hanging inconveniently.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
I just let em hang

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I've always used five gallon bucket handles, they bend but are strong enough not to un-bend from the weight of a caliper (I'm looking at you, wire hangers)

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

realtalk, with the wife's Jeep I used bungee cords and/or a cardboard box. I got lazy on this one. Forgive me, AI

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Apple's new "iBlacksmith Suite: Professional Edition" features the iForge, iAnvil, and the iHammer.

Adiabatic posted:

realtalk, with the wife's Jeep I used bungee cords and/or a cardboard box. I got lazy on this one. Forgive me, AI

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Wait, are bungee cords not okay to use? poo poo.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Doesn't matter what you use as long as the brake hose isn't put in tension. I use a bucket turned upside down. :v:

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

leica posted:

I've always used five gallon bucket handles, they bend but are strong enough not to un-bend from the weight of a caliper (I'm looking at you, wire hangers)

What kind of calipers are you messing with that are that heavy? Or do I have some crazy strong hangers?

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

brake line chat is cool and all, but...

:frogsiren: :frogsiren: SOMETHING WICKED THIS WAY COMES :frogsiren: :frogsiren:

Thursday night, courtesy sharkytm (click me, idiot)

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

EightBit posted:

What kind of calipers are you messing with that are that heavy? Or do I have some crazy strong hangers?

Right? I usually string up the length of hammer and give it a couple twists around like a twist tie.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Got way too much going on this weekend otherwise a road trip would be in order.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Grad school, familial issues, work deadlines, chasing tail...

Hi everybody! Been a while.

MR2's idle just went super high (up from relatively high) and giving it more than 1/4 throttle does weird poo poo, so it's time to check some stuff:

Yeah that's pretty fuckin dirty:

Clean, but we have some wear issues:

The TPS also didn't pass the resistance test:

Had a bit of an issue getting the IACV off, that resulted in power tools (the horror!):

Still haven't checked the mechanical function of the IACV, but it's fine resistance-wise.

Badger:

TPS, throttle cable, and rear brakes are on order! Looking around for a good used TB but I may just source one from a junkyard Celica at this point.

Also I just bought this:

Adiabatic posted:

THE FOZZ:

This is my favorite car ever:

SELF CONTROL:

Because he blows up a lot of transmissions:

Engine bay:

But wait, we have something to add:

HUEHUEHUEHUEHUE:

Idling:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyk0a9zrMD8

Pissing off people at 2am:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUVguNb1yAU

It looks like poo poo, sure, but he murders "Stage 3" STIs in it

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Adiabatic posted:

Also I just bought this:

excellent

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
You've finally found a Subaru worthy of your talents.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

YES :dong:

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Holy poo poo dude

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Terrible Robot posted:

Holy poo poo dude

this.

gently caress. YES. I'd buy this thing just for the its history of wrecking trannies.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Yesssssss more vehicles need hater pipes.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Well, this explains the Michigan trip... Godspeed, sweet prince.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

You've become what you've always hated. A Subaru bro that's always going to be using the lift. :v:

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx
That's loving mental. :perfect:

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Oh also if anyone's got any ideas on how to remove a tiny phillips screw that broke off flush with the TB housing, I'm all ears! I'll take a pic when I get back home tonight, but it's one of the two TPS mounting screws.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Adiabatic posted:

Oh also if anyone's got any ideas on how to remove a tiny phillips screw that broke off flush with the TB housing, I'm all ears! I'll take a pic when I get back home tonight, but it's one of the two TPS mounting screws.

Can you get to the screw from the backside? (I'm not familiar with that TB)

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

Adiabatic posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqZYgReuywM

Keep your dick in a vice.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Can you get to the screw from the backside? (I'm not familiar with that TB)

Nope. It's broken off pretty well perfectly flush with the TB housing with no access to the back.

Reading up on left-handed drill bits currently. Might go grab some later!

alternate.eago
Jul 19, 2006
Insert randomness here.
I happen to have a 5sfe chilling in my dead 94 (or 95 can't remember the exact year, its been 2 years since I've driven it) Celica, if you need parts...

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

:aaaaa: :aaaaa: :aaaaa: :aaaaa: :aaaaa: I'M TOTALLY TRYING THIS

alternate.eago posted:

I happen to have a 5sfe chilling in my dead 94 (or 95 can't remember the exact year, its been 2 years since I've driven it) Celica, if you need parts...

Pretty sure the TB is different for a 94-95 than it is for a 91-93, but would you mind checking the clearance between the butterfly and the housing when you have time? The only big difference I've seen between the two is the vacuum bungs up top, but I haven't measured anything. IACV and TPS look like they line up.

alternate.eago
Jul 19, 2006
Insert randomness here.

Adiabatic posted:

Pretty sure the TB is different for a 94-95 than it is for a 91-93, but would you mind checking the clearance between the butterfly and the housing when you have time? The only big difference I've seen between the two is the vacuum bungs up top, but I haven't measured anything. IACV and TPS look like they line up.

I'll give it a look as soon as it thaws enough for me to get to it. That car has a poo poo ton of snow and ice all over it from the last storm (and yesterdays too), it's where we aimed the snow blower when "shoveling". If there are any other easy to snag pieces you want, let me know, that Celica is destined for the junk yard very soon.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Engine count?

The MR2 is a bit smoky, and I'd like to rebuild one while this one's still going strong-ish. What's the matter with the old girl?

Edit: wait I was misremembering you being in RVA. Maryland is a bit far away for that to work right :) Thanks for the offer bud!

Adiabatic fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Feb 16, 2016

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Adiabatic posted:

:aaaaa: :aaaaa: :aaaaa: :aaaaa: :aaaaa: I'M TOTALLY TRYING THIS

Better make drat sure that the TB is made of aluminum, before you do.
Otherwise it's new TB time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alternate.eago
Jul 19, 2006
Insert randomness here.

Adiabatic posted:

Engine count?

The MR2 is a bit smoky, and I'd like to rebuild one while this one's still going strong-ish. What's the matter with the old girl?

Edit: wait I was misremembering you being in RVA. Maryland is a bit far away for that to work right :) Thanks for the offer bud!

Let a friend borrow it, and the transmission decided it was done. It's got like 230k on it, started and ran fine, but I think the syncros are hosed in the trans (it is a 5 speed though, but and I just looked at my insurance which I haven't cancelled for that car-- it's a 95, the trans sensors changed for 95 only and thats why I couldn't find a junk yard trans for it, then bought a new beater and parked this one about 3 years ago). AC doesn't work any more (I broke the hard lines doing something stupid). But other than that its complete and did run (when parked-lol).

EDIT: UHAUL trailer for all the 5sfe spares you could ever want!