Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

krushgroove posted:

Ah. Well I just sent a random PM to someone. Please ignore it, whoever I sent it to! email sent

Also, I just finished this Knight and his Skitarii buddies:

I kinda love LEDs now

lots more pics here https://imgur.com/a/qdNP7

Dang. Never seen a color like that on Skitarii before. Very cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

God drat

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
Why you got to come here and blow my airplane out of the water Krush?

Mind walking me through the steps on this? Down the road I'd like to have a knight to walk alongside my Ultras. I like To keep stuff canon, anyone know of any Knight houses that are written as fighting alongside the Ultramarines or being based on the Eastern Fringe?

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
Desert schemes are best schemes. I have said this before, my opinion is only marginally swayed by how lush the new Homeworld game is.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.

:getin:

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

DrPop posted:

Dang. Never seen a color like that on Skitarii before. Very cool.

Thanks guys - it's one of the alternative colors in the codex, I wasn't sure about it at first either but this is the second commission I did for this guy, the first were the Kataphon and Dominus Priest so they should look good together.

Uroboros posted:

Why you got to come here and blow my airplane out of the water Krush?

Mind walking me through the steps on this? Down the road I'd like to have a knight to walk alongside my Ultras. I like To keep stuff canon, anyone know of any Knight houses that are written as fighting alongside the Ultramarines or being based on the Eastern Fringe?

Sorry man! :) What do you want to know? Anything specific? I took way too long to do this so I actually typed out the painting steps on my site to help me keep on track and manage my time better. This is generally what I did for this one:
Basing: done first to speed up the process, using cork to build up different levels on larger bases, then a mixture of plaster, sand and glue to smooth out the cork layers. Then different sizes of gravel are glued onto the base, followed by a couple of grades (grain size) of sand
Magnetizing: completed at this stage for ease of painting
Drill Gun Barrels: where appropriate
Black Primer: first primer coat on all overhanging areas (under arms, wheel covers, etc.)
Grey Primer: provides shadow and main primer layer for basecoat
White Primer: provides smooth highlights on larger or rounded areas
Pre-Weathering: large areas of weathering done before basecoat
Basecoat: to match your army colour
Highlight Basecoat: usually this means edge highlighting in strategic spots, using a colour lighter than the basecoat
Second Highlight for Basecoat: a brighter colour is put onto spots such as exposed corners, high points and some rivets to bring up the base colour
Gloss Varnish: protects the paint applied so far
Secondary Basecoats: skin, weapons, armor trim and other areas get their main basecoats at this stage
Highlights on Secondary Basecoats: again, this is usually edge highlighting weapons and other larger areas (skin gets a soft blend of a lighter skin shade)
Second Highlights for Secondary Basecoats: a brighter highlight for skin, weapons and other areas, as needed
Gloss Varnish: protects the paint applied so far during the oil wash and detail painting
Oil Wash: a wash that provides a defined dark edge for armour panels and areas of the models such as where the skin of the hand meets the metal grip of a weapon – an advanced technique taken from scale modeling
Gloss Varnish and second Oil Wash: if required to give extra depth
Matte Varnish: protects the oil wash and provides extra grip for secondary basecoats
Details: lenses, some gems, eyes, screens and other details are picked out at this point, with highlighting and shading as needed
Varnish: to protect all the work done so far
Decals: any requested decals applied at this stage
Chipping: any requested paint chipped areas (such as around shins, knees, mud guards, etc.) applied at this point
Rust: pigment washes or spot treatment using texture paints
Dust: a light, very thin layer of brown or tan applied by airbrush across the lower half of vehicles and lower legs of infantry models
Heavy Mud: light-coloured mud and streaked dirt can be applied at this point if you request, for a battle-worn look
Fresh Mud: dark-coloured mud and streaked dirt can be applied at this point if you request, for a fresher ‘just from the field’
Final Details: oil and fuel stains, footprints, handprints, fresh scratches, etc.
Gloss Varnish: for tough protection layer over all the work done so far!
Base: main colour in mottled colours, washes in various colours and highlights
Base Details: any bits or model pieces painted at this point in the same fashion as the rest of model
Base Rim: to match your army base rims for overall cohesion
Final Dust: same as the previous very light dust layer, this simulates light road dust the vehicle has gathered since coming off the battlefield – done in the same colour as the base
Varnish: mostly for the base to protect the rim from knocking against other models but also for any areas of the model that were touched up
Matte Varnish: final varnish to dull the gloss of previous varnish coats

This is my 'display quality', what I'm shooting for is 'at least as good as White Dwarf' but at probably triple the time it takes them at least. I left off some of the above steps like the heavy mud but this is just a copy/paste from a customer-oriented page on my site, so they appreciate where their money is going and why it takes so long to get their models back.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
I don't know if these existed until recently, but turns out there's more merchandise.

Unlike the pillows, this one is at least a positive kind of funny.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Anyone doing anything specific for Adepticon Sat/Sun? Signing up and just trying to see what is worth my time.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
I mainly lurk this but I figured I'd pop in and say I was dumb enough to give GW money, but I got the Saga Edition of War Zone Fenris in the mail today and it's really nice.

I started collecting again after like 20 years and I started on a SW army back then, I think the fuckers totally sucked me in. Though I got back into it a few months ago with a DA army so now I'm conflicted.

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

"Whenever there's injustice, wrongs to be righted, innocents to be defended, The Sisko will be there, delivering ass-whooppings."
Saw the Wulfen models in person today. They're even worse than I thought.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

The Sisko posted:

The non-Wulfen models in the release are pretty sweet though I think.

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER

Mango Polo posted:

I don't know if these existed until recently, but turns out there's more merchandise.

Unlike the pillows, this one is at least a positive kind of funny.

That's actually kind of cool.

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

"Whenever there's injustice, wrongs to be righted, innocents to be defended, The Sisko will be there, delivering ass-whooppings."

Cooked Auto posted:

The non-Wulfen models in the release are pretty sweet though I think.

Yeah the the new Ulrik and Iron Priest look awesome. The funny thing is it's not even the bodies and armor of the Wulfen that turned me off but their faces. They have this bottom of the bargain bin Halloween store look and resemble boars more than they do Wolves. On another note, I wonder if they changed anything in the main codex or introduced a decurion style detachment.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
At least they aren't stuffing Wulfen in with the big collections of poo poo, you more or less have to buy them willingly.

Who else is cheering for the DA weirdos in this one

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

The Sisko posted:

Yeah the the new Ulrik and Iron Priest look awesome. The funny thing is it's not even the bodies and armor of the Wulfen that turned me off but their faces. They have this bottom of the bargain bin Halloween store look and resemble boars more than they do Wolves. On another note, I wonder if they changed anything in the main codex or introduced a decurion style detachment.

Don't they get their own Gladius style formation?

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

Uroboros posted:

Don't they get their own Gladius style formation?

They get individual great company formations, a dread formation and a character formation.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
I might buy the iron priest for 30k. Might.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

The Sisko posted:

Boars? Huh, I thought their faces looked more like apes, straight from the Planet of.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Ulric and the Iron Priest are loving awesome sculpts and almost make up for how lovely the Wulfen are. Almost.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.

Hra Mormo posted:

Boars? Huh, I thought their faces looked more like apes, straight from the Planet of.

There's no uh... apes on fenris, I guess.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

I know I'm months behind here, but I'm getting around to downloading PDFs of all the most current material so I can educate myself on other forces, and I have to laugh at Knights, Skitarii, and Cult Mech being split into diff volumes.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Ulrik and the Iron Priest are the first GW models I've liked in... a while.

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.

The Sisko posted:

On the upside, I ran a fight of 500 pts. of Nobz against a kitted-out squad of Wulfen (all TH/SS), & we basically wiped each other out (1 Wulfen remained). To be fair, I also got the charge off, & we had no terrain. S9 isn't S10, but the double-tough ID rule did work.

The problem was that if I had sent 1000 points by doubling the squad, the result would have been exactly the same. I've concluded therefore to just try & cut my losses against Wulfen. I mean, I know that if I had put my Nobz in a 'Naut, it would have been an absolute slaughter for the poor doggies, but I have a heart.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Painted up some more Meganobz for my Blood Axes! They're up to 6 now, I've got three to go.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Proletariat Beowulf posted:

On the upside, I ran a fight of 500 pts. of Nobz against a kitted-out squad of Wulfen (all TH/SS), & we basically wiped each other out (1 Wulfen remained). To be fair, I also got the charge off, & we had no terrain. S9 isn't S10, but the double-tough ID rule did work.

The problem was that if I had sent 1000 points by doubling the squad, the result would have been exactly the same. I've concluded therefore to just try & cut my losses against Wulfen. I mean, I know that if I had put my Nobz in a 'Naut, it would have been an absolute slaughter for the poor doggies, but I have a heart.

If those Wulfen had the Ap 2 Frost claws wouldn't they have wiped out your Nobs with zero loses?

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

Uroboros posted:

If those Wulfen had the Ap 2 Frost claws wouldn't they have wiped out your Nobs with zero loses?

In an assault-only vacuum most definitely but they would've also been so vulnerable to shooting even orks would've killed them before they ever got into assault. The best case scenario would be a van of a few thunderhammers followed by the claws, then hope you hit the right balance and don't get shot from a direction with no stormshield to tank it.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

The Sisko posted:

In addition to a decurion style list, they also made codex changes. Vindicators, Land Speeders, and Predators now come in squads of 1-3, Iron Priests are HQ units and have improved statlines

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Hra Mormo posted:

In an assault-only vacuum most definitely but they would've also been so vulnerable to shooting even orks would've killed them before they ever got into assault. The best case scenario would be a van of a few thunderhammers followed by the claws, then hope you hit the right balance and don't get shot from a direction with no stormshield to tank it.

I feel even with only half or a simple majority running claws would be sufficient to butcher your Nobs and put a couple Stormshields to provide against return fire. Honestly though giving them shields still only puts them at barely above a tactical squad in terms of survivability.

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde
So earlier this week I played for the first time against my friend's AdMech forces. It was 1850pts per side. I didn't really have any idea what to expect from them, but I thought I'd try something a little different with my CSM.

I plumped for my usual Helcult formation, maxed out at 70 fearless cultists with MoK, gaining Hatred if their Helbrute dies. That takes 540pts, but that number of attacks on the charge, can be amazing.
For the remaining ~1250pts I decided to go for a Crimson Slaughter primary detachment, with allied CSM. The Crimson Slaughter warlord was a ML3 Sorcerer, with Prophet of the Voices (gives him the same benefits as Crimson Slaughter Possessed, but he can only be put with them) and Balestar of Mannon - gives him access to Divination and the ability to re-rolled failed Psychic tests. I plopped him with a squad of Possessed, all with Mark of Slaanesh. In Crimson Slaughter, Possessed are troops choices. Other troops choice was 10 Cultists. Obliterators and a Maulerfiend rounded off the primary detachment. Allied detachment was a Daemon Prince with ML3, MoS and the Black Mace. For the mission we rolled Big Guns never tire. I went first.

Here's some pictures:

This was a fun game, but a complete disaster for me. I was tabled 15-2. I made some huge screw ups before the battle, both in troop choice and pre-match setup. I'm going to walk through them now.
Oh God, why am I so dumb. How do I army list
  • I gave the Sorcerer the Balestar of Mannon so he could choose the Divination primaris, which gives a unit Hatred. This could be useful, but because the bulk of my forces get Hatred from Zealot when the Helbrute pops (and they pop so drat easily), it was really only on the Possessed and the Daemon Prince.
  • Despite thinking it through on the train in the morning, I had the Daemon Prince roll on Daemonology, instead of Telepathy. It had been a long day, and it had been a long time since I'd fielded Psykers, but it was still stupid. I plumped for the Summoning primaris. And then got it into my head I'd left the Chaos Daemons codex at home (I hadn't, but I'd never fielded anything from it before, so was stupid to try).
  • Too many cultists. With the two squads making up the troop tax, I was fielding 100 cultists. The two squads of 10 got deleted pretty quickly by Skitaari shooting. The two squads of 35 each lasted longer, but I have real trouble getting that number into close combat at once, and since they get 4 attacks due to MoK on the charge, it's overkill. I had 12 of a squad of 20+ get into CC, and only needed to roll 12 of the 48 attacks to pop the squad they charged. Total overkill in terms of points. It's fun as hell, but a complete waste, and my friends can predict I'm going to bring them (They love killing them to be fair)
  • Crimson Slaughter Possessed are terrible, even worse than regular possessed. They roll on a different table, only at the start of the player turn instead of close combat turn. They gain more mobility and survivability, so you can footslog them, but in CC they have no AP weapons. At least in the CSM Codex you have a one in three chance of getting AP3 weapons. They failed to kill a single squad of Skitaari, and the cultists had to finish them off. Love the models, great fun to paint, bloody useless in combat
  • Making the sorcerer possessed was stupid. Having him only be able to run with possessed reduces flexibility. Additionally he's not a close combat monster, so if the possessed champion buys the farm, he'd have to do challenges.
  • I didn't safeguard my Daemon Prince. 335 points deleted in one round of Admech shooting. First time I'd ever fielded a flyer. I should have brought him on later, as Swooping rather than Gliding. Instead he ran straight into a gunline. I possibly should have used his summoning to possibly screen him. 335 points is a lot of eggs in one basket.
  • The Maulerfiend got immobilised thanks to special Ad-mech shooting weapons. Immobilised Maulerfiends are useless. I've yet to get him into close combat to see how he'd fare.
  • If you get tabled, in games where you score VP for objectives only at the end, you get creamed in points differences. I'm used to slowly eeking out points from objectives over the game, doesn't work in Big Guns Never Tire.

Things that went right

• Feel no pain from the Icon on the Possessed was a great choice. I wish cultists could take Icons.
  • Obliterators a solid choice as always.
  • The Onager Dunecrawler's S10 blast scattering back onto my friend's Magus warlord. Haha.

Thoughts on Admech

• The Onager Dunecrawler's S10 blast weapon is brutal. Quite scary
  • Kataphron are horrible. A pain to kill and deal out a lot of pain.
  • Some of their squads debuff Initiative and other things upon being charged.
  • They have all sorts of special and wonderful shooting rules, I'm going to have to try to get a few more games in to remember them all.

Thoughts for next time

• Fewer cultists. Maybe just 20, with Mark of Nurgle and some cheap way of being fearless (or high LD), so they can sit on an objective.
  • Crimson Slaughter is terrible, don't bother. Losing access to the Black Mace is terrible.
  • I need to field multiple Psykers, but different marks. Nurgle for the Gets Hots spell, Slaanesh has the best psyker school, and a Tzeentch as it doesn't look as terrible as it first seems (one of the powers seems great against vehicles).
  • Possibly put the Tzeentch on a bike for the extra mobility?
  • Consider a Slaanesh lord, with a squad of chaos spawn (amazing units), put him on a steed of slaanesh to get Outflank and Acute senses (re-roll Outflank). Need to get better at negating gunlines.
  • Don't bother with Possessed. They've had their chance. Without reliable AP, they're pointless.
  • Not so many points in one model.
  • Can I get bikes as troop choices somehow? There's that Warzone Pandorax apoc formation, can't see any other way.
  • Field my raptors, they're awesome and fun.
  • Consider a Forgefiend instead of a Maulerfiend. An immobilised Forgefiend has way more utility than an immobilised Maulerfiend.
  • Need to consider more heavy support.
  • Where can I find some nice models for Plague Marines and Noise Marines? The GW ones are awful, especially the Plague Marines. Lumpy bits of finecast rubbish.

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Milotic posted:

Too many cultists

:toughguy::toughguy::toughguy:No such thing as too many cultists:toughguy::toughguy::toughguy:

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Milotic posted:

Thoughts for next time

• Fewer cultists. Maybe just 20, with Mark of Nurgle and some cheap way of being fearless (or high LD), so they can sit on an objective.
  • Crimson Slaughter is terrible, don't bother. Losing access to the Black Mace is terrible.
  • I need to field multiple Psykers, but different marks. Nurgle for the Gets Hots spell, Slaanesh has the best psyker school, and a Tzeentch as it doesn't look as terrible as it first seems (one of the powers seems great against vehicles).
  • Possibly put the Tzeentch on a bike for the extra mobility?
  • Consider a Slaanesh lord, with a squad of chaos spawn (amazing units), put him on a steed of slaanesh to get Outflank and Acute senses (re-roll Outflank). Need to get better at negating gunlines.
  • Don't bother with Possessed. They've had their chance. Without reliable AP, they're pointless.
  • Not so many points in one model.
  • Can I get bikes as troop choices somehow? There's that Warzone Pandorax apoc formation, can't see any other way.
  • Field my raptors, they're awesome and fun.
  • Consider a Forgefiend instead of a Maulerfiend. An immobilised Forgefiend has way more utility than an immobilised Maulerfiend.
  • Need to consider more heavy support.
  • Where can I find some nice models for Plague Marines and Noise Marines? The GW ones are awful, especially the Plague Marines. Lumpy bits of finecast rubbish.

Some thoughts:

- I agree on cultists. Trying to use them as more than fodder or cheap objective holders is asking too much against most armies.

- The best thing the Crimson Slaughter have going on is Prophet of the Voices which, when thrown on a Sorcerer, lets that Sorcerer cast Malefic Daemonology (and thus summon daemons) without penalty. The Kranon's Helguard formation is also solid, but you don't need to run CS to use it. Re: the Sorcerer, if you want to give him a minimal possessed squad just to hide him that's probably ideal. In that case, think of them as extra wounds moreso than a close combat unit. Run them in a Rhino and summon poo poo from there. The only reason to make him a Daemon is for Malefic.

- The only way to take more than 2 psykers in a CAD is to field squads of Thousand Sons, which are never worth it.

- There's no way for CSM to get bikes as troop choices in standard 40k.

- The Mark of Tzeentch is only "OK," as the Tzeentch powers are pretty bad.

- Raptors own. I try to run them with a pair of Meltaguns. I do the same with Bikes.

- Forgefiends are alright. I've heard Maulerfiends are better, but haven't used one.

- You may also want to consider a Heldrake--the army's best unit, or some Obliterators, which are also great. Both can add much-needed power very quickly.

- Forgeworld makes some pretty decent plague marines, if you don't mind the cost. You can also scour ebay for the old metal plague marines, which aren't bad.

TheChirurgeon fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Feb 15, 2016

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
So I have never played 40k but I have seen a converted T-72 to IG and now I am wondering how viable a list of about 2 tanks, 2 apcs, and three squads would be? Too many points? Maybe add something else outside of the theme of combloc armor spear?

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The proper use for cultists is as a vehicle to get Kharn wherever he needs to go. I won't hear otherwise. :colbert:

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
Played in a 1500pt "classic" tournament yesterday. Classic in this case was a standard Combined Arms FOC with no allies, no Unique models, Flyers and Flying Monstrous Creatures were treated as Skimmers and Jump Pack Monstrous Creatures that could Jink, and at least 500pts of your list must be from Troops selections.

My first match was against a fairly traditional (and not especially powerful) Space Marines Iron Hands list. Chaplain on a Bike, full-sized bike unit w/ attack bike, two units of Tacticals in Rhinos, two Dreadnoughts, a unit of Scout snipers, a unit of Scouts in a Land Speeder Storm, five stock Terminators on foot, and a full Assault unit. The mission was to secure objectives, one in each of our deployment zones and one in the center of the table. My opponent rolled to go first, placed his objective dead-center, so I did the same, setting up for a skirmish in the middle of the board. After he deployed his army and his infiltrators I didn't have many options for my infiltrating Genestealers, so I decided to keep them tucked into the main army for the sweet, sweet Shrouded bubble.

His initial turn of shooting was mostly ineffective but his Scout snipers managed to put a couple wounds on my Toxicrene, failing its 3+ cover. Deciding to avoid the core of my army, which I had deployed centrally for obvious reasons, he swung his bike squad to the right to try and focus-down the single Tervigon that was on the opposite end of an impassable piece of terrain. His Assault squad bounded forward try and assist. What he failed to take into account was that his mighty bike-squad was wielding only a Crozius and a standard Power Sword. My turn saw a bit of shooting, dealing middling damage due to a lot of my range still being too far out. Looking to break his force into more easily digestible pieces, the Broodlord behind the Tervigon cast The Horror on the Assault Squad and forced them to go to Ground. Sadly, the Tervigon failed his charge attempt to stop the bikes from getting their HoW hits and Furious Charge bonus (the Warlord Trait for the Chaplain). Fortunately for me, when the charge happened the next turn, even at S5 most attacks bounced without a worry. The Tervigon held them up in combat, killing a biker and taking a wound in return. Sadly, the Toxicrene was laid to rest, as he focus-fired his army's shooting to get it down before it devoured his snipers, which has been the most effective unit for him up until that time.

On my turn, the Genestealers counter-charged and began their glorious journey toward the top of the table. Due to horrific missing by the Broodlord, the bikers managed to hang on to the Chaplain, an Attack Bike, and a single biker at the end of combat, which was fine for me since it allowed me to avoid being a shooting target. Meanwhile, the full Assault Squad was charged by a full Termagant unit, ensuring that they would be useless for the foreseeable future when I would deal with them on my terms. At this point I had total control of my and the central objectives and to shake me from it would take more than his army could muster. His turn saw him put some rounds into a Exocrine, but the larger part of his army was isolated from his HQ and the main fight. At the combat phase of his turn, the Genestealers tore the Chaplain apart along with all but a single bike, who wisely broke from combat and I failed to catch. The 'stealers consolidated close enough to his deployment zone to be within threat range of his Tactical unit sitting on his objective in their Rhino. I tore the Rhino apart with Exocrine fire, Paroxysm'd and The Horror'd the unit, and charged them. Against a full ten-man unit of MEq, it took two combat rounds to clear them out, once again giving me the ability to assault his last Tactical unit that had moved in to scramble to keep the objective.

A six-model unit of Genestealers ran the table and won me the game effortlessly. Miracles happen, people.

My second game was against an Imperial Fists player using an all infantry list of 61 Space Marines, a Chaplain, six units of ten Tacticals (all with Heavy Bolter and Plasmagun), two Devestator units (all Heavy Bolter), and two Centurion units with TL-Lascannon and Missile Launcher. The mission, "Asteroids," had six objectives scatter 4d6 each player turn and if they exited the board they reentered on the opposite end and completed whatever distance was remaining on the scatter. Players got points toward victory for each objective they captured at the end of their turn.

Fortunately for me, the mission really favored mobility and without transports and with so many heavy weapons my opponent wasn't able to score many of the objectives as they bounced around the board. What also held him up was that fact that my Toxicrene tanked about 90% of all shooting from his army for three full turns and was still not dead at the end of it. With no way to break cover and a table filled with Ruins, my T6 W5 model with a 2+ cover was nigh-invulnerable. He wasted all his energy on my tentacled horror while my shooting aspects advanced to start dropping AP2 pieplates into his lines. Overall it was a fun friendly match, but it was won before we even started. In the end I had cleared 2/3rds of his units and had lost my Toxicrene hero, my Venomthropes, and a handful of Termagants. Genestealers once again proved useful simply by virtue of capturing objectives that flew by each turn.

Unfortunately, because in my rush to get into the event in time I didn't properly close Google Maps on my phone, the GPS ate my battery like crazy and my phone died right after I took this photo. :(

My third game was against Orks, who actually fair pretty well in the classic format. He had a Warboss in Megaarmor, with a large unit of MANz, 2x 15x Lootas, 2x 10x Tankbustas in Trukks, and a few Troops units he held in reserve that I never got to see. Unfortunately for me, this one fell apart on my pretty quickly. I rolled to go first and deployed offensively in an attempt to Ground his Lootas and kill the majority of his shooting capacity. My opponent managed to seize, and it all went downhill from there. Great shooting with the Lootaz blew out my sneaky 'stealers while the Tankbustas did insanely well and took big chunks off my MCs. The Warboss and his retinue made it to my front line on turn two and it was effectively over when my only melee units completely whiffed all their attacks and all my psychic shenanigans failed horribly. It was not to be--tabled on turn four. :/

Overall it was a great time. I'll have the opportunity to play it again next month, as it's the first event at the four-day GT. I keep considering tweaking it to add a Tyrannocyte for the Toxicrene, but that's a lot of points to have go missing or get delayed. Denying a melee unit the option to charge until turn three just seems lame.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
I count 7, maybe 8 wolf skulls on Ulrik. :skeltal:

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

Four Score posted:

I count 7, maybe 8 wolf skulls on Ulrik. :skeltal:

Now we know why there's no wolves on Fenris.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy
Been working on some units to add to my wifes Eldar army we had commissioned a couple years ago. Really happy with the way these new units are fitting in with the rest of the force. But wanted to share this Crimson Hunter I painted up.

And Vyper we had laying around...

Ghost Hand fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Feb 15, 2016

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
Question:

I bought a box of Tactical Marines and there are only 4 Aquila type chest fronts. The rest are a mix of skulls and crossed belts and whatnot. Is this something new? I thought I remembered all basic Marines had the Aquila crest.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.

This table needs WAY more terrain. Shooty armies are at a huge advantage with lines of sight like these. The whole center of the table is just a gigantic no-man's land. Any unit failing to cross in one turn is probably gonna get vaporized. I have a lot more fun when the map allows for more close quarters fighting. Also permits things like maulerfiends to get the chance to run up on somebody before being shot to pieces. I'm a big fan of chaos spawn, if you haven't tried running a squad or two of those for some speedy melee I definitely suggest them, and as someone else said, definitely get a heldrake, the bale flamer is awesome for burning up entrenched shooty mans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Is it just me or does the Taurus instruction seem to be faulty or something? Because I have a bunch of parts I simply can't figure out where they go as I don't seem find the relevant numbers anywhere in the instructions. In this case its 43, 38 on the first sprue and 70, 71 on the second sprue. I'm just kind of confused as to where they're being used.

Edit: After looking at some bitz sites 70 and 71 are the coil panels mounted underneath the vehicle. And 38 and 43 are runners. Yet neither are not shown anywhere in the blueprints. :raise:

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Feb 15, 2016

• Locked thread