Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Am I crazy or did NECA do a line of Castlevania toys some years back, including a Simon that looked like a normal person?

I don't remember if it was NECA, but they did do a line with Alucard/Dracula/Succubus and I think Trevor or Simon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Why cookie Rocket posted:

Should I keep an eye out? I'm in Walgreens sometimes looking for other stuff.

That would be cool.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 17 days!

Cloks posted:

gently caress no. Elf on a Shelf is creepy enough, now they're just blindly expanding it for profit. That's really gross.

It's a totally different company doing that. So maybe just riding coat tails. Although they had a nice little story on Shark Tank.

Karnith
Jul 9, 2014

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Am I crazy or did NECA do a line of Castlevania toys some years back, including a Simon that looked like a normal person?
They did, and this Simon looks like it's just the old Simon with a bad repaint.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Karnith posted:

They did, and this Simon looks like it's just the old Simon with a bad repaint.

It's supposed to be Simon as as digital character, from the game. They've got Contra figs coming out that are the same.

I love NECA's twitter. When they're not posting pics of new products, a lot of it's them ripping on other companies' quality, while simultaneously telling people to contact their customer service because yet another one of their figures broke coming out of the package.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

NECA is basically turning into FUNKO where they just make every single thing. It's not even collecting anymore. I can't explain it but its some weird feeling knowing there is like, for example, Ninja Turtles from NECA, Funko, 3" Vinyl toys, SH Figurearts, etc etc etc.

Every company is blatantly whoring themselves out and rabid nerds eat the poo poo up.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Vintersorg posted:

NECA is basically turning into FUNKO where they just make every single thing. It's not even collecting anymore. I can't explain it but its some weird feeling knowing there is like, for example, Ninja Turtles from NECA, Funko, 3" Vinyl toys, SH Figurearts, etc etc etc.

Every company is blatantly whoring themselves out and rabid nerds eat the poo poo up.

It is pretty crazy how many different companies have the same licenses these days but it's a good thing for choosy collectors. For example between Mattel, DCC, NECA, hot toys, Mafex, Mezco, and whoever else, you've got a Batman v Superman line for every scale, budget, and taste.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Vintersorg posted:

It's easy to say that about NECA until they're making YOUR dream action figure that you thought would never get made, and then it's the coolest thing ever.

I buy NECA stuff, but I sure as hell don't buy everything they make. If them making Hone Alone or Weird Al figures (who is the target audience of those, really?) means I get some sweet Kenner Predator remakes, then NECA can do whatever they want for all I care. I'll buy what I want and ignore the rest.

Randy can be a bit of a tool on Twitter though.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I am just bummed NECA can't finish the TF2 line they were doing. Scout, Medic, and Sniper are left out in the cold due. :smith:

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Did they say why they couldn't finish it?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Travis343 posted:

It is pretty crazy how many different companies have the same licenses these days but it's a good thing for choosy collectors. For example between Mattel, DCC, NECA, hot toys, Mafex, Mezco, and whoever else, you've got a Batman v Superman line for every scale, budget, and taste.

I'm mostly a Hot Toys collector myself, though I do have a few statues of characters I like, but I will buy Green Arrow and Black Canary in like any and every scale because they're my favorites.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Grem posted:

It's a totally different company doing that. So maybe just riding coat tails. Although they had a nice little story on Shark Tank.

The one on Shark Tank was called Mensch on a Bench.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Xenomrph posted:

Did they say why they couldn't finish it?

Valve shut them out because they said the quality wasn't to their standards. NECA has them all sculpted and ready too.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002
http://page.macmillan.com/mcpg/dwarfinthedrawer

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Man, I'm kinda sad. Hot Toys announced the Cap and Bucky pre orders, and Bucky comes WITH A GUN!!!!!! and nothing else besides alternate hands, all for 220$.

Cap's 5$ more, has all the hands and his shield, 2 diff head sculpts (one with interchangeable face parts) and a minor spoiler accessory, and is only 5$ more.

The literal only reason to get this new Bucky is if you don't like the eye makeup on the older figure.

gently caress, give him a handgun, when you release Tony Stark with Pimpglove you can have an extra headsculpt of him all :eek: and getting his heart broken.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

His jacket is a bit different too I think.

Bucky should have been a $199 release.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

Aphrodite posted:

His jacket is a bit different too I think.

Bucky should have been a $199 release.

New jacket, pants, head sculpt, shiny arm, gun. The first release is much better. Get that one, and then buy the new head off ebay.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He also comes with a silly amount of accessories. The mine thrower, an assault rifle, his little SMG, 2 pistols, knives, and some ammo for his grenade launcher. The cool part is that except for the mine thrower and rifle, all the other stuff attaches to holsters and stuff so he looks like a walking armory.

The only one I have that came with more is Hawkeye, and that's because he comes with like a dozen arrows and gimmick arrowheads.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Since when did Sideshow throw NRDs on stuff that's at the $200 price point? Used to be anything over $250 but both Bucky and Cap have NRDs now. Weird.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

The Rage posted:

Since when did Sideshow throw NRDs on stuff that's at the $200 price point? Used to be anything over $250 but both Bucky and Cap have NRDs now. Weird.

At least 9 months

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

therealjon_ posted:

Valve shut them out because they said the quality wasn't to their standards. NECA has them all sculpted and ready too.
I'm curious as to what Valve's standards are with action figures, because as a huge TF2 fan and a somewhat unforgiving eye for toys, I thought NECA's figures hit the price point and quality perfectly.

Maybe they were expecting SH Figuarts? $20 for NECA's figures was a no brainer for me. $40+ would be a harder sell.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They were ready to go and about to be released, and that's not the Valve of today.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Cheesus posted:

I'm curious as to what Valve's standards are with action figures, because as a huge TF2 fan and a somewhat unforgiving eye for toys, I thought NECA's figures hit the price point and quality perfectly.

Maybe they were expecting SH Figuarts? $20 for NECA's figures was a no brainer for me. $40+ would be a harder sell.
I'm just glad their Gordon Freeman figure got released, I'm really happy with it.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Cheesus posted:

I agree, NECA has their problems but they really push what you get for a $20 figure. I had talked to Randy about it at Toy Fair a few years back and he said licensing with Valve is tough because they take a boardroom consensus on everything so it takes forever to get approvals.

They made an Axe figure from DOTA2 and Valve had them resculpt the thing three times because their committee couldn't figure out how exactly they wanted it to look. Finally NECA just said screw it we aren't going to do DOTA2.

I guess they thought too many final products of the second TF2 series had sloppy paint and said they weren't going to approve anything else after they released S3 in red. Maybe the disasters that were P-Body and Atlus played a part in it as well.

Basically NECA went and kind of "gently caress you" pursued the Blizzard license. Though, I think they learned quite a bit from the Valve thing and their Blizzard stuff is a pretty huge improvement.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I don't play Heroes of the Storm, but I really like NECA's Nova figure a lot; I've been waiting for a Nova figure since, like, 2008. :suicide:

I'm really hoping NECA does Raynor and Kerrigan figures for their HotS line, just because I'm a Starcraft fan.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Raynor is scheduled to be out by June with Sylvanas. Diablo will be deluxe.

http://www.preternia.com/2016/02/toy-fair-2016-neca-heroes-of-the-storm/

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
That just makes me sad that there's no Space Marine action figures

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

boom boom boom posted:

That just makes me sad that there's no Space Marine action figures
You mean like Starcraft marines? There have been several, I still have one from when the game was new.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Xenomrph posted:

You mean like Starcraft marines? There have been several, I still have one from when the game was new.

No, not the Starcraft knock-offs, actual Space Marines

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Christ I'd almost pay ridiculous GW markup prices for actual articulated Marvel Legends scale WH40k action figures.

gently caress it, I'd even settle for GI Joe 3.75" scale

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Xenomrph posted:

Christ I'd almost pay ridiculous GW markup prices for actual articulated Marvel Legends scale WH40k action figures.

Space Marines would be so easy. Just make a few alternate pieces to represent the different Marks of armor, and then reuse those molds to infinity

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

dont give NECA any ideas

Canopus250
Feb 18, 2005

You guys are taking me along this time? Right? Wait Shaundi is going? This is bullshit man!

Speaking of which is GI Joe pretty much dead in the water right now? I know they still have a some of the collector club stuff for this year but are they waiting to see if another movie/show happens? A bunch of the stuff after the 25th anniversary were pretty baller. I still have the Destro from Resolute on my desk on at work.

TouchToneDialing
Jul 21, 2006

Xenomrph posted:

If you got our hands on a good 3D model then used Shapeways to print the pieces, it wouldn't be that hard to do. Iv been getting into custom figures a lot lately and was thinking about doing a 40k Orc with the main parts being 3D printed and the base figure being a random marvel legends for the joints.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Vintersorg posted:

dont give NECA any ideas
I'm sending a tweet to them right this second.

Edit -- DONE

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Feb 16, 2016

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Xenomrph posted:

I'm sending a tweet to them right this second.

Edit -- DONE

Predicted response

"no license sorry"

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

Canopus250 posted:

Speaking of which is GI Joe pretty much dead in the water right now? I know they still have a some of the collector club stuff for this year but are they waiting to see if another movie/show happens? A bunch of the stuff after the 25th anniversary were pretty baller. I still have the Destro from Resolute on my desk on at work.

I have done very little research on this subject but AFAIK you've nailed it, except I haven't heard anything about biding their time. Just "nope."

GI Joe has basically run its course, though. Anything that they should do with it now has been done before (very different types of figures, introducing sci-fi elements, making a good profitable movie), usually to no great success.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Did they ever do a release of figures from that storyline where they had red crystals in a glass globe for some reason?

I forget what they were for, some world ending machine more than likely, but I remember thinking that crystal setup was pretty badass.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Did they ever do a release of figures from that storyline where they had red crystals in a glass globe for some reason?

I forget what they were for, some world ending machine more than likely, but I remember thinking that crystal setup was pretty badass.

Is that the one where they're building a giant gun with a crystal on the end? They need heavy water and those red crystals, and something else. And when Snake Eyes gets the crystals he gets radiation poisoning and finds his wolf and an old hermit in some snowy woods, I think.

E: Ha! http://gijoe.wikia.com/wiki/M.A.S.S.

10 Beers fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Feb 17, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Yea, I think that was it.

I'm working on memories of watching it on tv as a kid, so the plot points are completely unknown to me, either forgotten by time or just not paying attention when I was watching.

I just have this mental image of this glass bell jar on a bitchin' COBRA base with these big red crystal spires in there. They looked pretty awesome.