Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Also Max did kinda ditch Chloe when she left town. Then her best friend/girlfriend ALSO vanishes. That'd mess anyone up. Especially a teen.

And what's the alternative? Warren. Ha! That nerd needs a good dunkin.

Query: Whose names would we remove from the guest list if Max wasn't so friendly.

The Otter's Strategy - Victory!

Veloxyll fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Feb 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

By the way, one of Nathan's drugs was diazepam, which is the generic form of Valium and is used to treat things such as anxiety, seizures, and insomnia.

Mr. Highway
Feb 25, 2007

I'm a very lonely man, doing what I can.
All of these "gay" scenes between Chloe and Max never struck me as being "gay," but just "strong friendship," even though I'm sure Chloe is gay. Max, in her regular demeanor and for the purposes of character control, struck me as non-sexual, in that she is a blank slate upon which the player can assign certain thoughts and feelings. Also, I go with the "friendship" route because I feel the idea of a platonic, mutually beneficial relationship is dying in our current forms of entertainment and popular media, and I fully believe that our current forms of entertainment and popular media are dumbing down audiences by relying upon simple polarization or dichotomization. Nothing can occupy a middle ground or multiple layers of gradation; everything has to be all or nothing. Not much has changed from the sitcom mindset of "boy meets girl--they're totally going to hook up," to "boy/girl meets boy/girl--they're totally going to hook up."

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.
The thing about this game, and something that Panzer has alluded to, is that both of those are entirely correct interpretations, depending on the playthrough! These interactions between Max and Chloe will happen no matter what, but what they mean for Max and Chloe's relationship is up to the player! For some people, they're just super good friends, and for others (especially me) they are super gay. These are the things that your choices are affecting, mostly, and the game is honestly stronger for it, rather than pretending that your actions are going to have some grand, sweeping effect on the narrative.

This also leads to some problems later on, but I'll talk about those when we get there.

but also thread please remember:

Panzer Skank posted:

3. I ain't wanna see no arguments about character's sexual orientations. It's weird I even have to add this but it's an argument that seems to explode outta control with any discussion of LiS, please don't?? I love you thread I believe in you.

Panzer Skank
Jan 12, 2004

He's a regular-crab.
Not, like, a sex-crab.

Spatula City posted:

Was Chloe always in love with Max? If so that might help to explain the changes she went through after Max moved away (along with her father dying and then Step Douche, of course).

I think there is absolutely evidence for this, particularly in the amount of memorabilia Chloe has kept in her room of Max.

Mr. Highway posted:

All of these "gay" scenes between Chloe and Max never struck me as being "gay," but just "strong friendship,"

Jolyne Cujoh posted:

The thing about this game, and something that Panzer has alluded to, is that both of those are entirely correct interpretations, depending on the playthrough!

This is pretty much A+ exactly right. Life is Strange is a game about a girl figuring out who she is. I'm absolutely fine with discussing interpretations of Max's decisions and actions, what I'm hoping for with that rule is to keep ppl from making GBS threads on each other's takes or posting homophobic garbage. :shobon: I'll definitely be discussing my interpretation more as we go through.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Public service announcement: If you like Bright Eyes, do yourself a favor and pick up One Jug Of Wine, Two Vessels, which they did as a collaboration EP with nevadinova in 2004. I didn't even know they did a reissue in 2010, but they added 4 new songs and for all that is holy go pick it up.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Chloe finally having some moments where she acts like an actual human being is nice. Not enough yet to redeem her from "one step above Victoria", but nice nonetheless.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Panzer Skank posted:

Also Kaubocks pointed out a fun lil joke you can pull that I'd never seen, so I made a quick bonus vid of it! Max is rude!

Very rude. How could you go and deny a gay teen an opportunity to casually ask her best friend if she is also gay in a way that maintains plausible deniability.

I'm actually kinda curious how disappointed Chloe's response is if you say boys.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

she just calls you a pervert

FeralWraith
Dec 17, 2007
Lurking Bastard
I enjoyed this part. Max and Chloe are able to set aside all the mystery and danger and just be teenagers.

Teenagers breaking and entering, and stealing repurposing mystery cash, yes. But still, just getting to be teenagers.

The whole kissing thing never bothered me, but because people are people, someone's gotta have a stick up their arse about something. The way I see it, you like who you like, you love who you love, and gently caress the haters.

Lastly pancakes, never not pancakes.

Bobatron
May 12, 2007

let me tell you of a
place called Cylesborgia,
where robosexuals and
lesbians live together
in harmony :roboluv:

ZiegeDame posted:

Very rude. How could you go and deny a gay teen an opportunity to casually ask her best friend if she is also gay in a way that maintains plausible deniability.

I'm actually kinda curious how disappointed Chloe's response is if you say boys.

Wow I didn't even catch that she was subtly asking if Max was gay. But given the following events that makes sense.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

So since we kissed the girl, did Chloe change her cellphone pic?

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?
I just want Max to save Chloe from a life in prison and I want Chloe to save Max from being a lonely shut in who has wedding ceremonies for her cats.

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

One thing I really like about this game is how it weaves in stuff from the PNW that some folks might not know about like the picture of Max with her friends by the Fremont Troll, and how if you choose to take the money Max's main interest in Portland is Powell's bookstore. It's nice that the writers at least attempt to make the setting feel actual with landmarks that folks not from here might not know about.

Dire Lemming
Jan 19, 2016
If you don't coddle Nazis flat Earthers then you're literally as bad as them.

Gaiza posted:

He might as well go out with Brooke at this point since she clearly wants him.

By that logic Max might as well go out with Warren.

I think that the game handles Chloe and Max's relationship really well, it's important to the plot but you can choose whether to see it as romantic or not. Often romance will be important but required or optional but tacked on.

Also regardless of if Max is gay or not, I can't see her liking Warren, he's still in that awkward teen phase where you idolize your crush and it makes him come off as a little weird.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
That photoshop was fuckin' creeeepy. Like he couldn't just ask for a picture with Max?

Crawfish posted:

So since we kissed the girl, did Chloe change her cellphone pic?

I'm just imagining Max discovering the change, completely confused by when Chloe found the time.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

That photoshop was fuckin' creeeepy. Like he couldn't just ask for a picture with Max?
18 year old nerd with a massive crush? Hell no.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

ParliamentOfDogs posted:

from being a lonely shut in who has wedding ceremonies for her cats.

Is this a possible ending? I think we should make it happen

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
Damnit people is Max is ever truly going to dunk that nerd she needs gains! Eggs and Bacon.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

HiHo ChiRho posted:

She'll clearly be wedding plants, not cats. :colbert:

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.

Panzer Skank posted:

Hello friend this update is the update for you :)

Yes! Leave no girl unkissed!

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?

HiHo ChiRho posted:

If you pursue the tablet full of cat pics angle you learn those posters were put up by future cat lady Max traveling her entire timeline in despair.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Eggs are the devils food! The only way to eat them without loosing your soul is to prepare them with the purifying white of milk flour. On the other hand, American pancakes aren't actually good. Better than bacon at least.

Pancakes!

KasaiAisu
May 3, 2010

Ask me about zoning laws in videogames
I'm disappointed, Panzer. You didn't want to see the Kiss/Don't Kiss be the biggest landslide this thread has ever seen?

I like how new Max acts. Chloe was definitely right; the person who's changed most so far is Max, and we've been playing it safe!

I'm also glad that we took the money now, even though I voted against it, I think we made the right choice. I'm not sure what's going to happen since this is happening while the Prescotts are cutting funding, but it looks like Chloe really needed this and the night would've been so much more depressing if we'd left the money.

Also, uhh, Pancakes I guess? They're closer to the Belgian waffle, which is still the best.

KasaiAisu fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Feb 16, 2016

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

"Take it from me, Chloe. Never get time powers. I'm 18 years old and I've already wasted my entire life."

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

KasaiAisu posted:

I'm disappointed, Panzer. You didn't want to see the Kiss/Don't Kiss be the biggest landslide this thread has ever seen?

I like how new Max acts. Chloe was definitely right; the person who's changed most so far is Max, and we've been playing it safe!

I'm also glad that we took the money now, even though I voted against it, I think we made the right choice. I'm not sure what's going to happen since this is happening while the Prescotts are cutting funding, but it looks like Chloe really needed this and the night would've been so much more depressing if we'd left the money.

Also, uhh, Pancakes I guess? They're closer to the Belgian waffle, which is still the best.

Insttead she gets a vote that's almost as close as shoot/don't shoot. Which is way more exciting.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I still don't think we should have taken the money, why would you write a false label on an envelope in your desk that can only be accessed if someone blows up your office door, then reverses time to teleport in?

If we robbed the disabled to give to a drug dealer who threatened to murder two high schoolers and probably murdered Rachel Amber, I'm going to be so smug about it later :colbert:

Misandu
Feb 28, 2008

STOP.
Hammer Time.

Danaru posted:

I still don't think we should have taken the money, why would you write a false label on an envelope in your desk that can only be accessed if someone blows up your office door, then reverses time to teleport in?

If we robbed the disabled to give to a drug dealer who threatened to murder two high schoolers and probably murdered Rachel Amber, I'm going to be so smug about it later :colbert:

Counter-point: if the alcoholic principal of the school keeps suspicious envelopes stuffed with cash laying around in his office, it's pretty unlikely it was going to end up going towards anything important. I think it's most likely this is the donation that the Prescott family made the last time Nathan threw a desk across the room.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

besides, we gotta keep up this thread's trend of making the worst decision possible at every opportunity

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009

Kaubocks posted:

besides, we gotta keep up the LP sub-forum's trend of making the worst decision possible at every opportunity

FTFY

Warren Waters
Feb 27, 2011

Kaubocks posted:

besides, we gotta keep up this thread's trend of making the worst decision possible at every opportunity

Bacon and eggs

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Danaru posted:

Hey now! I only voted to take the money. That does not mean we give it to Frank. We should invest it in a nifty pyramid scheme instead.

Melchiresa
Jun 21, 2006

Nice guy.
Tries hard.
Loves hot dogs The Game.

Waffleman_ posted:

By the way, one of Nathan's drugs was diazepam, which is the generic form of Valium and is used to treat things such as anxiety, seizures, and insomnia.

The other one is risperidone - an antipsychotic used to treat bipolar disorder and schizophrenia. Plus, Nathan is right in the window when males tend to develop symptoms of schizophrenia. It'd sure help explain a few things.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Melchiresa posted:

The other one is risperidone - an antipsychotic used to treat bipolar disorder and schizophrenia. Plus, Nathan is right in the window when males tend to develop symptoms of schizophrenia. It'd sure help explain a few things.

Oh, I didn't catch that one! Its third common use is mood regulation for people on the autistic spectrum, but that usually only requires a very small dosage,

Alpha3KV
Mar 30, 2011

Quex Chest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30CExwoUyVQ

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Why do Max's clothes smell like chlorine? She didn't wear them in the pool.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Tenebrais posted:

Why do Max's clothes smell like chlorine? She didn't wear them in the pool.

She wore them after she got out of the pool, presumably not having a lot of time to dry off.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
She forgot to bring a towel. Putting on clothes while you are wet does that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Surprise Pizza
Mar 21, 2010
If you pick the Don't Kiss option, Chloe says "Just admit you already macked on me and used your rewind!" which is pretty funny if you did indeed do that.

Personally, I'm in the "Never Not Kiss Chloe" camp.

On the more pressing issue, both options are good, but I have to side with Pancakes for that one.

• Locked thread