Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

bloodychill posted:

Wasn't SAO's original translation basically machine-done with a little editing here and there? It seems like anything could be an improvement to that.
There are three translations. The release translation was literally google translate. However they did release a patch where they had some non-native dudes overhaul the translation to make it comprehensible. The result wasn't great (grammar/orthography), but usable and maintained the verbiage and mood of the original. Then they did a translation for the PS4 version, made by native translators who thought it would be a good idea to make the game read as if it was actually in the middle ages. (Incidentally the PS4 version also broke some of the gameplay mechanics.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Stanos posted:

working designs if you hate punched up translations

Well, there's a few different levels of WD jobs. Some stuff is just fine (Popful Mail, the SCD Lunar 1 mostly had the pop culture jokes reigned in to NPCs that weren't saying anything much anyway, Arc the Lad), but a lot of the time they just went of the deep end and that's not really good for anyone.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

bloodychill posted:

Wasn't SAO's original translation basically machine-done with a little editing here and there? It seems like anything could be an improvement to that.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.

That one has problems elsewhere

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
whenever i try to play popful mail, i always feel like the voice acting is just an inch away from being legitimately funny and charming, but the directing just isn't there so it all feels kinda awkward

it was either that or the text they were reading off of just didn't make it work

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Hivac posted:

That one has problems elsewhere

Yeah, outside of WD's difficulty fuckery. PM was bad, ExileWP was almost actually unbeatable and Silhouette Mirage got a lot of it too.

I liked their excuse of "Well we didn't have a lot of time to test the changes..". How about just don't do that then.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
didn't they make really terrible difficulty changes to lunar 2 on the sega cd, too

why the gently caress did they do that

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

Isn't the guy that ran that and also Gaijinworks a super arrogant piece of poo poo or something

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

They subscribed to the popular idea at the time that people in the west preferred their games harder than the Japanese did and so altered them in the stupidest way possible.
It wasn't just Working Designs, quite a few companies did the same thing, Capcom was especially bad at one point in the PS2 lifetime for changing difficulty settings in dumb ways.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

The Colonel posted:

didn't they make really terrible difficulty changes to lunar 2 on the sega cd, too

why the gently caress did they do that

You spent Magic EXP to save, but it wasn't as bad as it sounded really. Still stupid, don't get me wrong, but..

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

kirbysuperstar posted:

Well, there's a few different levels of WD jobs. Some stuff is just fine (Popful Mail, the SCD Lunar 1 mostly had the pop culture jokes reigned in to NPCs that weren't saying anything much anyway, Arc the Lad), but a lot of the time they just went of the deep end and that's not really good for anyone.

Vanguard Bandits and Growlanser were fairly tame, too. The only pop culture reference I even remember from Growlanser Generations was an NPC taking a shot at you and your huge sword calling you Cloud.

Hivac posted:

Isn't the guy that ran that and also Gaijinworks a super arrogant piece of poo poo or something

iirc Victor Ireland is just a difficult person to work with and makes poor major business decisions. Gaijinworks isn't a company in the past tense yet, though, as far as I'm aware.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Feb 15, 2016

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

bloodychill posted:

More cyberpunk is always welcome! This looks kinda neat.

It's really good, like a 2D, SNES-era Deus Ex. Bunch of bugs at launch in PC but those are fixed now, so hopefully the Vita version is free of them and runs well.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Summon Night 5 had reaaally clunky dialogue too.
EDIT: Oh that interview mentions Ignition's fuckups and rewrites... Yeah after playing both the original Muramasa and the Vita port I can see why they stopped getting work.
On the other hand, no more gems like this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pk024-oaFv4

EDIT2: Weird, apparently both these games were originally be handled by XSEED before they changed publishers. Wonder what happened?

HGH fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Feb 15, 2016

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

HGH posted:

EDIT: Oh that interview mentions Ignition's fuckups and rewrites... Yeah after playing both the original Muramasa and the Vita port I can see why they stopped getting work.

I loved how different the translations between Lux Pain's VA and text was, because one was rewritten to be in Chicago while the other was still in Tokyo or something. Good poo poo.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

The White Dragon posted:

Gaijinworks isn't a company in the past tense yet, though, as far as I'm aware.

They're trying their best to rectify that. (Class of Heroes 3 out soon for the PSP in the year 20-loving-16, when everyone who gives a drat about lovely Wizardry clones has moved to the Vita! Oh by the way Class of Heroes 2 is still in an unplayable-rear end state unless you download this doc file from our website!)

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

HGH posted:

On the other hand, no more gems like this
Going from "a kitsune is holding a wedding" to "the devil is beating his wife" as the exchange in a romance scene is amazing.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Mithaldu posted:

Have you played the neptunia games? People complaining about the localization there complained not because it wasn't 1:1, but because they did, figuratively, stuff like:

"Hi." => "Howdy pardna! How're ya on this fine day here?!"

And they did it all over the game, relentlessly.

He did explain now why that is (they didn't know what gets voiced and what doesn't, so they over-injected personality into every line to be on the safe side), but holy hell it is absolutely jarring when you play with english text and japanese audio and you have two entirely different things going on.

The characters in Neptunia are made way more interesting by their localization, and the dubs for the characters are high-quality. Play the game in English, or import it English-free.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

that's a subjective opinion tho and idk i really dislike the 'you cant criticize translation ever' school of thought

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

It seems like the simplest solution is to just not play Neptunia

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

neptunia v onwards, are better games than persona 4

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Endorph posted:

that's a subjective opinion tho and idk i really dislike the 'you cant criticize translation ever' school of thought

Translation can very much be criticized when it actively detracts from the material in a misleading way; Neptunia is a very special case in all of this.

Neptune says memes. She has done so in every language. Re;Birth 2's retranslation removed them to make it "more accurate to the original" and, as a result, made it less accurate to the original. But people wanted this, because they don't like memes. Or hate personality. Or something.

So what do you do? Who do you appeal to? You can't appease everyone, but if you don't appease the dumb SUB > DUB otaku, you risk alienating a core part of the fanbase. What do you do?

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

I think it's less the memes and more

Mithaldu posted:

"Hi." => "Howdy pardna! How're ya on this fine day here?!"

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Endorph posted:

neptunia v onwards, are better games than persona 4

I think if you want anyone to take the bait, you're going to have to pick a newer game

maybe see if Cold Steel does the trick

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ask snoop dogg

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Really Pants posted:

I think if you want anyone to take the bait, you're going to have to pick a newer game

im not actually baiting.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Hivac posted:

I think it's less the memes and more

It's not. Go read discussion boards about Neptunia. It is most often *specifically* meme usage.

It's actually a point of contention with the RB2 retranslation.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Takoluka posted:

IGo read discussion boards about Neptunia.
i dont think i want to

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

Okay yeah that's stupid to get upset about

I only get weird japanese 2ch memes because i'm a total shut-in that almost never goes outside. That should tell you about the people that are getting upset about it

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Endorph posted:

i dont think i want to

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Endorph posted:

The English release of The Grandmaster has a completely different script than what actually happens in that movie and it's really hosed up.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

In Training posted:

The English release of The Grandmaster has a completely different script than what actually happens in that movie and it's really hosed up.
nep kai-man

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

do people in universe respect nep nep?

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

voltcatfish posted:

do people in universe respect nep nep?

Her people respect her, because in the grand scheme, she gets stuff done. She also knows how to have fun, and people like that.

The other CPUs sometimes envy her aloofness, but in the end, everyone likes everybody.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Really Pants posted:

at that point it's not even baiting, it's just true

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!

u cant post that and not this follow up on the next page:

quote:

If I can be blunt, thank you for being honest. Of all the built problems in the miscommunication between companies, developers, localizers, and fans, I hold and stand by the biggest problem of all is this push to not be honest. I understand very, very well that lawsuit language and advantage temperament is something that gets in the way (the HQ Titles, as you coined, being used as leverage against even the slightest amount of dissent). But even then, there is a pressing demand to obfuscate the truth in the simplest of problems or questions. Particularly on a field like social media—I can easily state the one time a PR manager was honest with the customer base, the remaining PR and even media branches threw a damned fit.

And that PR was at Koei Tecmo, regarding the cancellation of DOAX3 as a western release possibility. I recall not hating that person, whoever it was, because they were being plainly honest. No frills, no sugarcoating. I didn't like the decision, but I never faulted that person or KT, and even now have plans to nab the Asia release as advertised. But I'm sure you are quite aware of what happened as a result of that honesty, regardless of whether the unrelated merchants at Play-Asia was being coy or just telling it like it is in wake of that facebook announcement.

And on that note, I'll also apologize sincerely and deeply, for so mischaracterizing you. Whatever my feelings regarding the work on the Neptune titles, hauling about and unleashing undue animosity on you is, as I now see, uncalled for. I'll be excusing myself from that in the future.

Thank you for responding to our questions. This was very educational and I hope to be using this info justly in the future.

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy

bloodychill posted:

More cyberpunk is always welcome! This looks kinda neat.

Yeah I'm interested to see how it ends up working on the Nep console.

More DOA X3 things showcasing Momoji and her fighting abilities. :rolleyes:

Hitman GO launches on February 23rd.

Digimon World Next Order gets a new mon next mon-th. Are we supposed to get this one too?

Attack on Titans gets a new video showcasing new titans that get attacked or do the attacking I'm not sure anymore.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Schrodingers cat posted:

More DOA X3 things showcasing Momoji and her fighting abilities. :rolleyes:

I can't wait to see all the complaints about that "game" when the first time importers start getting it. It's just watching the girls with an occasional minigame to build their friendship. Some people actually think it's a fighting game.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I feel like anyone importing DoAX3 knows exactly what they're getting

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy

Help Im Alive posted:

I feel like anyone importing DoAX3 knows exactly what they're getting

:agreed:

Haha! I'm pretty sure if you're going to PlayAsia and pay like 100$ Canadian for a game, you know what you're getting...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Dehry posted:

Some people actually think it's a fighting game.
i really doubt this