Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003

kaschei posted:

Come to think of it how does that unique even work? You almost never have turn meter after you attack someone.

P.S. I read that turn meter reductions (like Poe's taunt) are now resistible. I haven't tested it but if so, wow, another big stealth Poe nerf!! Glad I saved my CC for HRS all over again.

Actually, with the way the turn meter works you almost always have some leftover after attacking, on average around 5%. It is still a weird unique ability, but I guess against counters and assists it could be something. His leadership sounds insane, that is almost a big a damage increase as permanently having offense up buff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound
So, was reading a thread on ~another forum~ and saw a post to the effect that the first chrome pack you buy will always contain a character, rather than shards. This applies even if you've bought other things, for example an 8 card pack. I tried it out and sure enough got a character. Note that you're not guaranteed a good character, i got the ewok scout, which I already had, so I got 7 shards :(. However, I figured it's worth sharing.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

kaschei posted:

Come to think of it how does that unique even work? You almost never have turn meter after you attack someone.

P.S. I read that turn meter reductions (like Poe's taunt) are now resistible. I haven't tested it but if so, wow, another big stealth Poe nerf!! Glad I saved my CC for HRS all over again.

Yeah, I'm glad I didn't go all in for Poe although I got like 20 shards for him after I saw he wasn't nerfed much in the patch notes. QGJ is a much better use for cantina shipments although he might be next up for the nerf bat.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

Tagichatn posted:

QGJ is a much better use for cantina shipments although he might be next up for the nerf bat.

I seriously doubt that. I don't think any big balance changes will be coming down for a good long while, except maybe a small buff to his expose or tenacity.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Fenris13 posted:

Actually, with the way the turn meter works you almost always have some leftover after attacking, on average around 5%. It is still a weird unique ability, but I guess against counters and assists it could be something. His leadership sounds insane, that is almost a big a damage increase as permanently having offense up buff.
I don't think this is true anymore? It used to be, say, Dooku with his 160 speed, would attack on tick 7 with 1120 turn meter, and have 120 turn meter left over, that I guess could have been reduced. But now ticks are gone and he attacks as soon as he has 1000 meter (unless multiple characters get to 1000 meter at the same time, in which case order is random among those characters), is my understanding.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

Mooktastical posted:

I seriously doubt that. I don't think any big balance changes will be coming down for a good long while, except maybe a small buff to his expose or tenacity.

Barriss was given the same huge nerf two months ago unexpectedly and these huge changes to the game mechanics came as an unintended consequence of trying to nerf Poe.

I would be surprised if they nerf QGJ in the same way next month and break the game leaving Ewoks or URoRRuR'R'R as the new meta.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Have you seen Jawa Engineer? If his stats are anything good, droid+jawa is going to be coming up.

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003

kaschei posted:

I don't think this is true anymore? It used to be, say, Dooku with his 160 speed, would attack on tick 7 with 1120 turn meter, and have 120 turn meter left over, that I guess could have been reduced. But now ticks are gone and he attacks as soon as he has 1000 meter (unless multiple characters get to 1000 meter at the same time, in which case order is random among those characters), is my understanding.

I know speed was changed, but this seems to be an overly complicated way of changing it, I think they still use ticks of speed, but when a tie comes up the speed of each character is checked and the fastest goes first, rather than going right to a coin flip.
I certainly could be wrong, and it might be fairly easy to test, except that the UI does some excessive rounding when it displays the turn meter.

keldon
May 14, 2009
So, GW difficulty is based on your highest-ever Arena rank, correct? Have I permanently hosed myself then? For the first few days I was playing I must have been grouped with a bunch of other new players, and I made it to #7 the first day in the Arena. Ever since then, I've not been playing or whaling as well as others and I've steadily dropped into the 200's. But my GW's are often impossibly hard by the second half, and I've only ever finished it twice. Is this the reason?

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

keldon posted:

So, GW difficulty is based on your highest-ever Arena rank, correct? Have I permanently hosed myself then? For the first few days I was playing I must have been grouped with a bunch of other new players, and I made it to #7 the first day in the Arena. Ever since then, I've not been playing or whaling as well as others and I've steadily dropped into the 200's. But my GW's are often impossibly hard by the second half, and I've only ever finished it twice. Is this the reason?

It's based on your highest attained Arena rank and also your level I think.

The matchmaking is hosed because you're paired with people who have also reached 7th place but could have been playing since November last year.

It'll get better once you have a team of 70s but you'll need to wait a month+

Metos
Nov 25, 2005

Sup Ladies

kaschei posted:

I think it's a badly worded way of saying he's like the opposite of Stormtrooper Han, where instead of being hit causing his whole team to gain turn meter, when he's hit he causes the whole enemy team to lose turn meter. 'from enemy attacking him' meaning when he's hit by an enemy, rather than from the one particular one hitting him.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Reddit nerdy math breakdown on characters Arena tier/worthiness using some sort of weighted formula for each stat/ability:
https://www.reddit.com/r/SWGalaxyOfHeroes/comments/45okl7/postfebruray_update_squad_arena_tier_list_now/

Very good read but doesn't entirely account for synergy or very specialized squads, I've seen some sort of uber AOE team involving Snowtrooper for example.

Pimpmust fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Feb 14, 2016

commish
Sep 17, 2009

Good write up. Agree with most. Good to see that some realize Poe is still boss. Also confirms I need my QGJ. Not sure about Yoda though. I heard his AI is terrible.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Yes, he notes Yoda's terrible AI. When doing these sort of rankings one should probably separate "Offensive PVP" and "Defensive PVP", there's plenty of characters that can wreck poo poo under the command of a player but how well do they do under the AI to prevent you from dropping 100 spots when you are out of tries for the day?

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

*throws a grenade at a 1kHP enemy instead of killing them. Enemy resists*

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Is there a better way to be farming these gear pieces that require like 5 of another gear to complete? I am so unlucky that I can go through two refills just to get 4/5 pieces. My Lightside team has the heroes, it just does poo poo for damage because their gear level is so low. At this point it's easier for me to get legendary gear than normal gear.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Ularg posted:

Is there a better way to be farming these gear pieces that require like 5 of another gear to complete? I am so unlucky that I can go through two refills just to get 4/5 pieces. My Lightside team has the heroes, it just does poo poo for damage because their gear level is so low. At this point it's easier for me to get legendary gear than normal gear.

The challenges fill in some gear IIRC. But they're a pain in the rear end, at least for me, so I don't know how much that helps.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

Ularg posted:

Wait till you have to grind MK4 droid caller, aka purple dildo. Wish it dropped from challenges...

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Neutron posted:

Wait till you have to grind MK4 droid caller, aka purple dildo. Wish it dropped from challenges...

:suicide:

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010

Mr. Neutron posted:

I'll take those over laptops. I can never farm enough. I will farm them for 2 days, while doing the challenge both days in a row (Sunday/Monday), and by the time I'm done, I will need more than when I started.

e: I'm not even joking. Two weeks ago (I think) was about when I was hitting level 70. I farmed purple laptops for a couple characters all day Sunday and Monday, filled a couple gear items, did all the purple laptop quests, leveled a couple more characters, got a couple more gear levels, and then added up how many laptops I needed: 180.

Malgrin fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Feb 14, 2016

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Introducing quest character L'No Vo, a scoundrel whose appetite for laptops can never be satiated!

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Grey Fox posted:

Introducing quest character L'No Vo, a scoundrel whose appetite for laptops can never be satiated!

:golfclap:

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

I'm so tired of RNG in this game. Oh enemy Daka self rezzed, and your didn't? Lol sux 4 u.

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010

Zotix posted:

I'm so tired of RNG in this game. Oh enemy Daka self rezzed, and your didn't? Lol sux 4 u.

Yeah, Daka adds the worst kind of RNG to this game. Kinda makes you wish you were running Luke lead.

Also, now that you can resist turn meter, I've started doing that against Poe. Makes up for your own Poe's lost tenacity.

e: obv that does nothing to self-rez, but it does make a difference with the stuns

Malgrin fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Feb 15, 2016

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
HAHAHAHAHA sniped into top 20 today for the first time.

YUSSSSSSS!

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!
Who should you focus on after 7*'ing Sidious in Arena points? I was planning to do IG-88 or HK-47

commish
Sep 17, 2009

Munkaboo posted:

Who should you focus on after 7*'ing Sidious in Arena points? I was planning to do IG-88 or HK-47

Both good choices. Know what kind of team you want to make? Eg, a droid team? Aoe?

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
Eeth Koth, if you ever want to get Yoda.

Assaj is good now

Ig88 if you want a droid team.

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010

Chilichimp posted:

Assaj is good now

I feel like with where arena is right now, an IG-88 led arena team is really good. IG-86, Poggle, and someone like GS or QGJ to round out the team, could consider running Dooku or Daka for stuns, or Poe.

xyigx
Nov 6, 2012
This game is 100x more fun when you just say idgaf and play it like Pokemon. Basicly all I do these days is one arena fight a day to stay in my award rank and just collect whoever sounds like fun next.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I've managed to stay in the very low 200s (sometimes cracking 190s) by just banging out all of the daily awards and challeneges, grinding, and putting together a team before reading about any of the comparisons online. Some characters are obvious, some I lucked into (IE86 definitely falls under this category). I think I'm just caring about hitting level 70 and maxing out that group of 10, but I don't want to dump any money into this game so I think a long grind is ahead.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

My server has been strangely uncompetitive in the last few weeks. I think most are outside my timezone but there were always at least a few messing around in the top five. Now I've taken number 1 the last week uncontested. Hey, free 500 crystals! Well, free aside from the refresh. I usually need 2 or 3 tries to beat the top whales.

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound

Chilichimp posted:

Assaj is good now

Even if you don't particularly care about yoda, getting a 5th jedi lets you do the challenge and the rewards for even the low levels are a nice amount of credits and crystals. I did the first 3 today and I think the payoff was about 600k and 150 crystals.

planedriver
Jun 2, 2013
I wanted to quickly finish the 3 arena battles so I used a lvl 1 character to lose instantly.

Then I forgot to update my arena team before I went to bed. RIP #49 to #929.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

planedriver posted:

I wanted to quickly finish the 3 arena battles so I used a lvl 1 character to lose instantly.

Then I forgot to update my arena team before I went to bed. RIP #49 to #929.

You can just hit the gear in the top left and retreat. Still counts as completing a match.

I keep my "I'm ranking up" team in there so I basically stay at 551 because no one can beat my team apparently. Or no one wants to fight Phasma, Sid, Geo, FOStormtrooper, Daka.

oops wrong forum
May 21, 2002

heh, you think you can withstand the power of my solarbeam?

Malgrin posted:

Also, now that you can resist turn meter, I've started doing that against Poe. Makes up for your own Poe's lost tenacity.

I think this is a myth, I've fought/used Poe more than a dozen times over the last day and I don't recall ever seeing the TM not proc.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

I'm thinking of building an arena team with some of the following:

Poe, Geo Soldier, First Order Tie Pilot, Resistance Pilot, Sidious, Poggle

I'm not really sure which combo. The only reason I listed Sidious was because of his leader skill. None of the others have any synergy and their leader skills if they have them, aren't worth noting. I'm not really sure I would even need a Poggle with that kind of damage. Poe is almost a must with them. If Poe goes, and Poggle goes. Geo calls in an assist, then a target is dead. If FOTP attacks twice with offense up, a target is dead. Even more so if it's a crit.

Metos
Nov 25, 2005

Sup Ladies
Been running QGJ as leader with only him and lumi as jedi in my team but it's had a very interesting impact, with the speed buff from QGJ now Lumi gets her second turn faster than a speed-down'd Sidious from Phasma and now instead of gunning for him after Max priority targets (Rey, fotp etc) are gone, everyone's always healed to full before the heal debuffs come out and they're in the danger zone. More reliable wins, though of course I miss the Phasma Daka fuckery when it goes off.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

oops wrong forum posted:

I think this is a myth, I've fought/used Poe more than a dozen times over the last day and I don't recall ever seeing the TM not proc.

It's something that came directly from a dev although I haven't seen any changes to Poe when I use him.

Zotix posted:

I'm thinking of building an arena team with some of the following:

Poe, Geo Soldier, First Order Tie Pilot, Resistance Pilot, Sidious, Poggle

I'm not really sure which combo. The only reason I listed Sidious was because of his leader skill. None of the others have any synergy and their leader skills if they have them, aren't worth noting. I'm not really sure I would even need a Poggle with that kind of damage. Poe is almost a must with them. If Poe goes, and Poggle goes. Geo calls in an assist, then a target is dead. If FOTP attacks twice with offense up, a target is dead. Even more so if it's a crit.

You'd need to whale for FOTP though. I was thinking of something similar except switching Sid with QGJ as a leader. It's just a matter of calling for an assist and burning Poe and the other softer targets down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roid666
Jul 18, 2010

Tagichatn posted:

My server has been strangely uncompetitive in the last few weeks. I think most are outside my timezone but there were always at least a few messing around in the top five. Now I've taken number 1 the last week uncontested. Hey, free 500 crystals! Well, free aside from the refresh. I usually need 2 or 3 tries to beat the top whales.

If you are TAG, then I think I'm on the same server as you. Seen you a few times in the PVP list (although if you've just got #1 maybe you're a different guy) when I've been refreshing. I'm the king of getting hosed by RNG, so I'm constantly battling to get into the top 150.

Team so far is Sid(7*) lead, Lumi(6*), rylo(6*),Dooku(6*), and Daka(6*). Everybody pretty much has the max gear they can wear at 70.

I'm getting a bit sick of Daka and Dooku under performing the enemy doppelgängers, so I'm thinking about replacing them. QGJ is on cantina credits farm now (farming Bariss for GW), so he'll slot it for Dooku when he's finished. Any suggestions for replacing Daka with less RNG reliant hero? GS? Luke?

• Locked thread