Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this

Poison Mushroom posted:

Nope. The several year gap between the first time you see each movie (and being the right, early 90s age range) is necessary. :colbert: Shotgunning all of them as an adult and then saying they suck is like saying Seinfeld and Cheers suck because you don't get any of the pop culture jokes and the rest aren't funny any more.

I did watch them in order in spans of years (albeit I'm a big younger, I was 1 when the first movie came out) but they do not become some incredible saga when put together. 1 is forgettable, 2 is good and 3 is masturbatory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Is it okay to just not give a drat about Toy Story?

I saw the first one when my little brother rented it when it came out on video. It was alright. The animation was great for its time.

I'm kind of tired of everyone running around acting like anyone who doesn't immediately fall to the ground and worship at the feet of John Lasseter is some kind of subhuman.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Allen Wren posted:

I'm kind of tired of everyone running around acting like anyone who doesn't immediately fall to the ground and worship at the feet of John Lasseter is some kind of subhuman.

What's the deal with Pixar films? Am I right!?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I'm just saying that art doesn't have to be timeless or have universal appeal to be good. If it did, then satire would by definition never be good.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I like Toy Story okay, but I didn't watch the first one when it came out, so I feel I missed the boat on it.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Asiina posted:

I like Toy Story okay, but I didn't watch the first one when it came out, so I feel I missed the boat on it.
You are literally worse than Hitler.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

"Toy Story was mediocre" - a fuickign idiot

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Little Mac posted:

"Toy Story was mediocre" - a fuickign idiot

exhibit a

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Pmush is absolutely on the money, re: Toy Story. Incredible films through and through and some of Pixar's best. I love the Incredibles a lot but I wouldn't necessarily put it near the top of the Pixar rankings for me.

Pixar Movies Best To Worst
Up
Brave
Toy Story 3
Toy Story 2
The Incredibles
Wall-E
Toy Story
Ratatouille
Monster's Inc
A Bug's Life
Cars

I have never seen Finding Nemo or any of the movies past Brave. This list is ranked from best to worst but Cars is still a pretty damned decent film, if not particularly interesting visually.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Like, I'm not sure how a movie that is fairly timeless with animation that still kinda holds up and really exciting vocal performances with a fantastic score that influenced an entire industry for the next twenty years and onward can be considered "mediocre." I'm not saying Toy Story must be your favorite movie of all time or you're a sack of poo poo (you are though) but I'm saying it's an excellent film and it's okay to like things.

Like Coen Brothers' films.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

As anyone brought up A Serious Man? It's super underrated but it's one of my favorite Coen brothers' movie. It does its setting so well and it's funny and sad.

I didn't care much for Inside Out, which was visually pleasing, but the characters, but the very nature of what they represent, are completely flat and can only "grow" so much. Since they miss that dynamic it's kinda hard to relate to the emotions, though the human characters only slightly bit more sense.

CCKeane posted:

I think the easiest way of doing it is probably to grow a full beard and then shave it in. If you're looking for it to become part of a permanent look, you can go to a barber, get a neat shave line from them, and then follow that to maintain.

Cool thanks. I had done it after having a full beard for New Year's Eve but I shaved it off. I have 3/4 week beard at this point when I decided to go with it. It looks fine but I always feel I've gotten it off. I may just keep going like this then until it's proper long and then touch it up at the barber's.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
Ghost Dad was the greatest cinematic masterpiece of all time

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

JakeP posted:

Ghost Dad was the greatest cinematic masterpiece of all time
That's a funny way to spell Space Jam.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Little Mac posted:

Like, I'm not sure how a movie that is fairly timeless with animation that still kinda holds up and really exciting vocal performances with a fantastic score that influenced an entire industry for the next twenty years and onward can be considered "mediocre." I'm not saying Toy Story must be your favorite movie of all time or you're a sack of poo poo (you are though) but I'm saying it's an excellent film and it's okay to like things.

Like Coen Brothers' films.

lmao

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
my favorite pixar movie was wall-e

I found brave disappointing, since I thought it would be about a girl learning how to be a great archer, not a mom-daughter reconciliation film

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

EccoRaven posted:

my favorite pixar movie was wall-e

I found brave disappointing, since I thought it would be about a girl learning how to be a great archer, not a mom-daughter reconciliation film

Yeah agreed. It was gorgeous though. One of their best looking in my opinion. That hair...

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Little Mac posted:

Pmush is absolutely on the money, re: Toy Story. Incredible films through and through and some of Pixar's best. I love the Incredibles a lot but I wouldn't necessarily put it near the top of the Pixar rankings for me.

Pixar Movies Best To Worst
Up
Brave
Toy Story 3
Toy Story 2
The Incredibles
Wall-E
Toy Story
Ratatouille
Monster's Inc
A Bug's Life
Cars

I have never seen Finding Nemo or any of the movies past Brave. This list is ranked from best to worst but Cars is still a pretty damned decent film, if not particularly interesting visually.

I definitely wouldn't rank Up that highly. If the entire movie was at the same level of quality as the opening, I'd consider it one of the best movies of all time but aside from that introduction it's merely a good movie.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
I think tiers are better.

Up, Wall-E, Toy Stories 1 and 3, and Inside Out are tier 1 pixars to me. I like Wall-E the most for its environmental message but they're all really equal to me.

Tier 2 are the rest except the garbage ones like Cars.

I don't have consistent opinions on the coen brothers movies. I really like O Brother. I don't care either way for the Big Lebowski but I only watched it once as a youth. I haven't seen Fargo. I haven't seen most of them actually now that I've googled it. I don't really care either way about watching them. Movies are okay. Some are bad but some are good too. I feel like there's too many movies though. It makes it hard to figure out what to watch.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

A little late, but happy VT day mafia thread.
I cooked veal and mushroom stroganoff with brandy in the sauce and amoked paprika seasoning. And i baked a chocolate pudding and had that with chocolate sauce strawberries and ice cream for dessert.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

EccoRaven posted:

Up, Wall-E, Toy Stories 1 and 3, and Inside Out are tier 1 pixars to me. I like Wall-E the most for its environmental message but they're all really equal to me.

Tier 2 are the rest except the garbage ones like Cars.

I don't have consistent opinions on the coen brothers movies. I really like O Brother. I don't care either way for the Big Lebowski but I only watched it once as a youth. I haven't seen Fargo. I haven't seen most of them actually now that I've googled it. I don't really care either way about watching them. Movies are okay. Some are bad but some are good too. I feel like there's too many movies though. It makes it hard to figure out what to watch.

I find people always try to justify liking Wall-E, was it poorly received movie or something? I really liked Wall-E. I saw it with my best friend in the States after my first year abroad and it was the first and last time I ever snuck into a movie after. We caught Hancock for free and only missed the first five minutes.

I haven't seen Miller's Crossing, The Hudsucker Proxy, and The Man Who Wasn't There, if we're talking about the ones they've written and directed. I don't consider movies an interest of mine nor do I consider myself a movie person, though I have friends that do think that about me. I do end up watching a lot of movies, but I think it's because I watch close to zero television and that screen time has to be filled up by something somehow. Still there's loads of things I'd rather do than see a movie.

I can't find good bread in Paris. Rather, they're all about baguettes here and all I want is a good kaiser roll and I'm not going to the Jewish district to probably not find and if I do buy it super marked up. It's a tad frustrating because frankly baguettes aren't really the best sandwich bread out there.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I think the :airquote: issue :airquote: is that Wall-E got a lot of hype from the environmentalist crowd, and that kind of :airquote: politicized :airquote: liking the movie because apparently "hey let's not treat our planet like poo poo" is a controversial message?

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

I hope you all had a good Vanilla Town day.

MG2
Jan 30, 2016

by LadyAmbien
Wall-E was good when I saw it in theaters. But I don't own it and probably won't watch it again.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I'm re-watching Breaking Bad.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Deadpool was a good movie

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Was it, actually?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Max posted:

Was it, actually?
Rotten Tomatoes says so. Gave it an 84, apparently.

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

EccoRaven posted:

I really love most Pixar movies and mostly agree with your tier 1, except I agree with Allen Wren that the Toy Story films are just okay and I feel like I am missing something because almost everyone else loves them. The film historian in me thinks the first film is cool for being a computer animated feature length film and actually looking really good, but that is about it. I am sure it has a lot to do with me being 13 or so when the first film was released more than anything.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I think Toy Story 1 (and by extension, Toy story 3) need to be viewed at a certain age in order to really hit you the way they intended.

imgay
May 12, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
2 lanes closed off on the way to class today,. Ended up being a big crime scene and there was a dead body in the middle of the road.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Max posted:

Was it, actually?
ya

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Mafia thread i don't work today but my wife does, so I had to wake up and drive her to work. :smith:

MG2
Jan 30, 2016

by LadyAmbien
It's so drat cold today haha

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

I liked Deadpool a lot.

Pros: Actually funny! A love story that both drives the plot and feels genuine and earned. Very visual film with lots to look at. Likable characters with really great performances from Reynolds and Baccarin.

Cons: They spent a bit too much time on the origin flashbacks. Pre-Deadpool Wade Wilson had the same personality as Post-Deadpool Wilson - I like the idea that the torture drove him insane, but he kinda seems pretty crazy already.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

MG2 posted:

It's so drat cold today haha

When my gf was on the train home yesterday morning it took an extra hour due to frozen train tracks and it being -35 with the windchill. It's a nice warm 0 today.

Little Mac posted:

I liked Deadpool a lot.

Pros: Actually funny! A love story that both drives the plot and feels genuine and earned. Very visual film with lots to look at. Likable characters with really great performances from Reynolds and Baccarin.

Cons: They spent a bit too much time on the origin flashbacks. Pre-Deadpool Wade Wilson had the same personality as Post-Deadpool Wilson - I like the idea that the torture drove him insane, but he kinda seems pretty crazy already.

The torture scene was a bit gratuitous but the comedy was spot on. The romance was strong, and overall well written. Basically, it was a funny Marvel movie and if you went in expecting that you got it.

MG2
Jan 30, 2016

by LadyAmbien

Kashuno posted:

When my gf was on the train home yesterday morning it took an extra hour due to frozen train tracks and it being -35 with the windchill. It's a nice warm 0 today.

The torture scene was a bit gratuitous but the comedy was spot on. The romance was strong, and overall well written. Basically, it was a funny Marvel movie and if you went in expecting that you got it.

Wow 0 is colder than it is here. It's 25 feels like 15. It's sleeting/snowing. I'm wearing two pairs of socks and my feet are still cold.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

It's in the 20's in Philly right now.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I'm watching the sky to see when the ice starts coming down in central Jersey, yeah. Brr.

Khris Kruel
Nov 5, 2003

Ask me about being a SJW in EE and working to make anyone who disagrees with me a villain and gets no opportunity to defend themselves at all because my army or sycophants I buy off with pixels follows me blindly.

Podima posted:

I'm watching the sky to see when the ice starts coming down in central Jersey, yeah. Brr.

:rolleye: ice doesn't come from the sky stupid. It comes from my fridge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Typical Jersey buffoonery.