Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Charlie will consider trades

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Z3n posted:

If it didn't start, I hope you got it for 1k.

Old gas/water in the gas. Dude put in new plugs and fresh gas and it runs nice. I won't get a chance to work on it for at least two weeks, just get the title transferred over.

Parts seem to be tough to find on ebay, though. Haven't found a rightside fairing yet that isn't trashed, and good luck finding anything in red.

Slim Pickens fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Feb 5, 2016

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
'12 tuono v4 arpc for $7k worth a fly and ride?

http://www.cycletrader.com/dealers/Ridenow-Powersports-Tricities-2940038/listing/2012-Aprilia-Tuono-V4-R-APRC-115883258

Outside Dawg
Feb 24, 2013

I don't see any yellow on that bike, I'd be asking them if they posted the right pics.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

If you have a dealer nearby and enjoy waiting on parts, go for it. It amazes me how quickly the resale value on those dropped.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

clutchpuck posted:

If you have a dealer nearby and enjoy waiting on parts, go for it. It amazes me how quickly the resale value on those dropped.

Part of it might also be that there was a pretty big update in 2014 to address some issues people had with the bike.

I think it was 2014. But the newer ones have a more comfy seat, a bigger gas tank, and some other updates, as well as I think updates to the APRC software and hardware. If I were shopping for a V4 Tuono, I'd try to stick to the 14s and above, but they're obv going to be pricier.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Do your research on the V4s and subyears before you do but that's a good price.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
I read a ton of articles about it today - seems it runs hot, has electrical issues, and is not great at low (or even high) speeds.

Maybe this '07 1000 would be a better buy and a lot cheaper?

http://www.cycletrader.com/dealers/Xtreme-Powersports-2904054/listing/2007-Aprilia-Tuono-1000-R-116432251

also completely different but this husky TE610 looks dope as gently caress, good deal?
http://newyork.craigslist.org/stn/mcy/5428276313.html

I'm going absolutely crazy not having a bike, I really need to just pull the trigger on something asap.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Voltage posted:

I read a ton of articles about it today - seems it runs hot, has electrical issues, and is not great at low (or even high) speeds.

http://www.cycletrader.com/dealers/Xtreme-Powersports-2904054/listing/2007-Aprilia-Tuono-1000-R-116432251

also completely different but this husky TE610 looks dope as gently caress, good deal?

I'm going absolutely crazy not having a bike, I really need to just pull the trigger on something asap.

Isn't the te610 very much an enduro bike?

That is very different than the other bikes you're considering so you should figure out what you're looking for before deciding what to buy. Suuuuuuuuper Duuuuuke

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Voltage posted:

I was more talking about the top end issues that the v4s seem to be having.

That 07 looks nice - I don't know if it matters to you (it didn't to me) but the 07.5+ has a few more HP due to a change in valve size. You can tell the difference by checking to see if the front calipers have two or four pads. Two pads are the 07.5+. Italians tend to go by VIN ranges for revisions, rather than model years.

Things to pay attention to on the Tuono v2:
1. They run like poo poo with straight through exhausts and the default 'map 1'
2. The radiator clamps suck poo poo and should ALL be replaced
3. The brown connector from the reg to the stator likes to melt
4. The early stators were too powerful and like to kill rectifiers
5. The heat degrades the clutch/rear brake fluid super fast
6. Small vacuum hoses like to get brittle and break, bike runs rich and is boggy
7. Stock Sachs rear shock sucks, RSV shock is cheap and an upgrade. Used Ohlins shocks can be gotten <$500.

Overall they are drat reliable bikes, comfortable, turn in very quickly because they are the same setup as the RSV with just a different top triple + dirtbike bars, and absolute wheelie machines. Smooth or forgiving isn't something I'd call them if you have them set up the way they were meant to be (-1/+2 sprockets, exhaust, airbox restrictor removed, map 2 loaded).

Used parts are cheap, especially once you realize all of the RSV stuff (along with some other models) bolts right on. I picked up a set of nice Leo Vince cans for $250 on eBay. There is like no market so prices are super low.

Basically, I love these things.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Feb 11, 2016

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Voltage posted:

There is a husky strada in the forum sale thread that's might be a decent fly/drive n ride for you. It's on the latest page, I think, and in your price range. That would be more rideable than the 610, and way doper as gently caress. Check and see if he still has it!

EDIT: Here you go. He even has the enduro type fender for it. YEEEEEAAAAH GET IT

Koruthaiolos posted:

Who wants to buy a Swedish-Italian BMW for Christmas? I've had my 2013 Husqvarna TR650 Strada for over a year now which means it's about time to get a new bike. If you don't know anything about this bike here's a nice video review comparing it favorably to the Duke 690: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yz-yW7RvNn0

The bike has about 6000 miles and just had the full 10k km service done at the end of October. It's a solid bike, I've taken it to the mountains, highway, and commute year round on it. This is the Strada version of the TR650 so it comes with ABS and mag wheels. If you like the high fender look of the Terra you're in luck because I have an extra fender that will come with it.

I'm looking to get around $5000 for it, but if a goon buys it I'll likely give a bit of a discount. PM if you're interested.

E: I'm located in the DC area.

Here's a couple pictures from the summer since it's dark by the time I get home now, but nothing's changed since they were taken:

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

Yeah, do that! :)

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

$2500.

Man if I could get rid of my drat integra I would have the money.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Shadowlz posted:

$2500.

Man if I could get rid of my drat integra I would have the money.

Sup NOVA buddy?

That's an awesome bike. Buy it.

Also, I'm really conflicted about this ad...
https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/mcy/5448186319.html

IMO it's totally overpriced. Yeah, it's got no miles on it, but honestly that's not a good thing. That means it's not really been ridden much over the last 13 years, and that's not a good thing for motorcycles.

Pretty awesome opportunity to own a basically brand new bike if it's real though.

Edit: for about a grand less, you could have a 15k mi 600RR
https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/mcy/5443955323.html

Or a grand more, and you get a 2012
https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/mcy/5442777529.html

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Feb 15, 2016

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
Um... guys...

https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/mcy/5438164449.html

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Coydog posted:

WHOA I expected them to maybe not have launch control or whatever, but they are really so barebones? So just absolute performance monsters with no safety net.

Bear in mind that the Rotax-engined twins and the in-house-engined V4s are completely and totally different bikes in almost every detail, and their launches are separated by over a decade, despite the similarity of the names (and the 2-3 year overlap between their sales runs.

The twins topped out at about 130ish hp, although the Factory models were up towards 150 in the last few years - the 4s *started* at that point and are now in the 200 hp bracket.

The twins are basically the ultimate evolution of the 90s bike - all hairy-chested machismo and fat tail units, while the V4s are very much New Tens with their pointiness and clever electronics.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Hello.

1994 Cagiva Elefant 750 Lucky Explorer Desmodue

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Okay, someone talk me out of this:

£7.5k, chatting to the dealer has suggested they're getting pretty desperate to get it off the forecourt so I can probably drop that quite a bit. Does sound like it's sat for quite a while before they bought it.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

£7.5k, chatting to the dealer has suggested they're getting pretty desperate to get it off the forecourt so I can probably drop that quite a bit. Does sound like it's sat for quite a while before they bought it.

It's not a superduke.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

builds character posted:

It's not a superduke.

I said talk me *out* of it :colbert:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
They're super fun, but sorta uncomfortable. If you're ok with that, knock yourself out :). Obviously, Ducati cost of ownership and is that the ABS/TC model?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Well it has a beautiful dual exhaust, but it blocks the view of the beautiful single sided swingarm. I guess that sucks?
:goonsay:

It's like complaining that Lucy Liu is less attractive because her freckles aren't symmetrical.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

goddamnedtwisto posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmyJ1RVfnPE

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Hmph. Well someone's managed to talk me out of it:

For reference that's more than I was quoted for a loving brand new Tuono V4, and triple what a brand-new Monster 821 would cost to insure. In fact it's more than the difference in price between the new Monster and this second-hand bike.

e: Just noticed the £2000 excess (deductible for you filthy foreigners) on the MCE quote. gently caress you MCE.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Hmph. Well someone's managed to talk me out of it:

For reference that's more than I was quoted for a loving brand new Tuono V4, and triple what a brand-new Monster 821 would cost to insure. In fact it's more than the difference in price between the new Monster and this second-hand bike.

e: Just noticed the £2000 excess (deductible for you filthy foreigners) on the MCE quote. gently caress you MCE.

Do you have any idea why? I mean, obviously the streetfighter is in a different category but what category is there that includes it but excludes the 821 and is more expensive than a liter bike.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

builds character posted:

Do you have any idea why? I mean, obviously the streetfighter is in a different category but what category is there that includes it but excludes the 821 and is more expensive than a liter bike.

If I had an explanation for it I'd be getting a Nobel Prize. In the UK insurance is banded in groups from 1-20 - motorbikes generally only go up to group 17. The Tuono and Streetfighter are both in group 16 so it sort of makes sense the price would be around the same, but why the 848 would be in that group with a bike that costs about 25% more and makes about 50% more power is less understandable. Group 17 bikes (RSV4, S1000RR, etc) cost around the same too.

The most inexplicable one though is the GSX-S1000. In the summer before I got the Monster it was ridiculously cheap to insure - half what the Monster was, despite being the same group (15). Now it's literally 10x the price it was, making it the most expensive bike I was able to get a quote on. Now I know the Suzuki is replacing the Bandit in the affections of the nutter crowd but surely they can't have wheelied enough of them into bus stops to distort the rates that badly in six months.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
The gsx-1000 probably only needed a couple people to yard them to gently caress the numbers up.

Outside Dawg
Feb 24, 2013
drat, that MCE quote works out to nearly $3600. How in the hell does anyone manage to afford to ride in the UK? You guys (and gals) must all be making high 5 figure to low 6 figures annually.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Still can't believe I got full coverage on my R1 for $225/year

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?
$225 for a full year is insane! In BC, insurance for ~600cc is about $160 a month.

Outside Dawg
Feb 24, 2013
My full coverage is $219 annually for the Softtail.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Well bear in mind a big chunk of my premium is the theft coverage, because I live in the middle of London and don't have a garage. Dropping down to third-party only drops the quote for that Streetfighter down to £700 with no excess. Still high but not quite as eye-watering, but of course there's no way I'm riding around on something that can be nicked for the price of a pair of boltcutters and a couple of big blokes without theft coverage.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Outside Dawg posted:

My full coverage is $219 annually for the Softtail.

You guys are doing it all wrong, my annual premium was only 75$ 76$

(Adding roadside assist bumped me up a dollar this year :bahgawd:)

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Ok, so I posted that one a while back, and the seller kept that one going for a while.

Now he's returned with this:

Same kind of pictures, not one of the whole bike, in the same trailer, same posting style.
It's weird.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Probably some old retired dude who buys bikes to flip and has way too much time on his hands to write baffling ads.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Did he really advertise that as a perfect "Bar Hopper"? I'm hoping that comma actually means a seperation of things, but I've heard way too many bikes described as great for bar hopping lately, and groups of riders having bar hop rides. And I can't think of a reason to go bar hopping and not drink, and I can't imagine riding anything buzzed on anything.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I don't ride if I've had anything to drink in the last 12 hours either. Riding drunk is kind of on the same level as "hmm, I think I'll loosen up my front axle before I head out" in my opinion.

However, the accident rate for motorcyclists wearing helmets who haven't been drinking is way below the national average for all motorcyclists. So someone needs to bring that number back in line...

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I'm trying to imagine what interacting with this guy would be like. It's like a weird motorcycle-themed version of a Dr. Bronner's bottle.

I see an old guy who yelltalks at you, much like his typing. He's got lots of opinions that you're going to listen to, half of which are summed up by "THEY DON'T MAKE 'EM LIKE THEY 'USED TO'." He'll tell you about ethanol in gas as a segue into the govmint in general, rag on Obamacare, and tell you about how he's on disability.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I loving wish those bikes were rare and hard to find. I hate those things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

I loving wish those bikes were rare and hard to find. I hate those things.

I will never be able to get that goddamn exhaust chirp out of my head.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWZq5PTdKFo