Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

suicidesteve posted:

Well yeah, we're assuming a lot: there are good discard outlets, Madness is playable with them, and Ulamog's Nullifier is playable. There's also all the other processors that process as an activated ability.

Good spell based discard outlets and as far as our activated abilities go for processing, there's: a 2/3 for 3, a 3/5 for 5, and 3/3 for 4, all otherwise vanilla with no immediate value gain. I'll admit to being wrong about only having sorcery speed processing, but I doubt standard is going to be Madness centric enough for those limited fodder creatures to see some play, especially with some of the more crazy efficient Eldrazi running around. Madness is probably going to see use but not to that extent.

Also, pre-spoiler season spoiler arguments.

Ramos fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Feb 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think 'discard as a cost' is a very obvious way to enable madness and we'll probably see a fair amount of it in SoI.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Ramos posted:

Good spell based discard outlets and as far as our activated abilities go for processing, there's: a 2/3 for 3, a 3/5 for 5, and 3/3 for 4, all otherwise vanilla with no immediate value gain. I'll admit to being wrong about only having sorcery speed processing, but I doubt standard is going to be Madness centric enough for those limited fodder creatures to see some play, especially with some of the more crazy efficient Eldrazi running around. Madness is probably going to see use but not to that extent.

We haven't seen much of...

quote:

Also, pre-spoiler season spoiler arguments.

Ok good you recognize this

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
The block format is now only 2 "set" blocks, right? So the next set will be Shadows over Innistrad?

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

I mean the Ulamog's Nullifier bit is fun and good, but the bigger issue with be people trying to flip jace with a madness card.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Gyshall posted:

The block format is now only 2 "set" blocks, right? So the next set will be Shadows over Innistrad?

Yes.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Bread Set Jettison posted:

We haven't seen much of...

Ok good you recognize this

I've been in this thread for too long to not spot a futile argument.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Ramos posted:

I've been in this thread for too long to not spot a futile argument.

yeah same

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Owen is a goober but his article today on CFB is pretty good:
http://www.channelfireball.com/articles/saving-my-pro-tour-draft/
Although I don't know how much value you can get out of an article where the crux is "open the best Mythic in the set"

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

cheetah7071 posted:

It looks like the details on how madness works is changing with SoI, based on the new reminder text. Right now, if you discard a card with madness into a graveyard of five cards, you can choose whether jace's flip trigger or the madness spell resolves first. With the new rules coming up, the flip will resolve first, assuming I remember the new reminder text right.

e: also, yeah, your graveyard has to have five cards not counting the newly-discarded basking rootwalla.

Jace does not have any triggers, though. His flip will always resolve before anything that triggers off of the discard.

Chairman Pow!
Apr 23, 2010
Really interesting article over at MTG Goldfish about the current state of Modern http://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles/the-modern-dilemma

The recent Eldrazi menace combined with trends in banning and the increase of card prices has basically thrown the format into an existential crises.

Chairman Pow! fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Feb 15, 2016

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Chairman Pow! posted:

Really interesting article over at MTG Goldfish about the current state of Modern http://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles/the-modern-dilemma

The recent Eldrazi menace combined with trends in banning and the increase of card prices has basically thrown the format into an existential crises.

Really all wizards needs to do to fix modern is unban all the poo poo they've unbanned in recent years and then print more inherently broken poo poo for the decks that don't have it.

What I'm saying is bring back pod and give bogles something silly like a 2/1 hexproof nad flash for GW with "etb destroy target artifact or enchantment"

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Holy poo poo!

How long has Google been putting card text on search result pages? This is the first time I've noticed it.

(Maybe it just rolled out to .ca?)

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Eternal Masters is real

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Reserve list still a thing, I hope it bombs.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

lol Force of Will is mythic, of course it is.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

Force and Wasteland confirmed. No reserved list cards... which means??

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

HOOOOOOLY poo poo.

Of COURSE FOW IS MYTHIC gently caress YOU WOTC.

Oh hey, 10 bucks a pack. gently caress right off.

On the flip side, I really dig that Wasteland art.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

FoW at mythic. Lmfao.

At least it has TN art.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Cool. I just lost several bets.

LightReaper
May 3, 2007

Seek out other card games to play friends, Magic has disappeared up it's own #MTGFinance rear end

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

So I should scoop up all duals I can, I guess.

I'm going to enjoy making lovely draft decks out of the constructed staples I first pick.

odiv fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Feb 15, 2016

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Is that new art on FoW? Cool that the commissioned new art but got Therese Nielsen to do it.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Wasteland at rare!

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

:swoon: :swoon: :swoon: that FoW :swoon:

I'll need a whole bunch of them. loving Mythics.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I think the best part is that FoW has fantastic art.

This has me legitimately excited. Doesn't this mean they've said "gently caress the reserved list and gently caress you"?

I mean, isn't Wasteland on the reserved list?

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Force of Will being mythic is okay. It's still going to drop the prices of Forces by at least $30. Wasteland is going to tank though. Also, hold on to your butts for any card that doesn't see a reprint in this set, because it's going to double in price the second the full spoiler is out.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Count Bleck posted:

This has me legitimately excited. Doesn't this mean they've said "gently caress the reserved list and gently caress you"?

Nope and nope.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

BJPaskoff posted:

Force of Will being mythic is okay. It's still going to drop the prices of Forces by at least $30. Wasteland is going to tank though. Also, hold on to your butts for any card that doesn't see a reprint in this set, because it's going to double in price the second the full spoiler is out.

Drop the prices of Force just like Tarmogoyf, you mean?

I'll be happy to be wrong, but I'll believe it when I see it.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Every Chinese counterfeiter that hears about this announcement will laugh and continue to make money.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

JerryLee posted:

Drop the prices of Force just like Tarmogoyf, you mean?

I'll be happy to be wrong, but I'll believe it when I see it.

Maybe Goyf will be at rare.

LightReaper
May 3, 2007

Count Bleck posted:

Maybe Goyf will be at rare.
Look in your heart, you know this to be untrue

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Count Bleck posted:

the announcement posted:

It will not contain cards from the Reserved List, but it will feature many exciting Eternal staples

Count Bleck posted:

Nope. Neither is Force of Will.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
This is awesome. It means Legacy isn't dead.

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Bad Moons, Bad Moons, wot ya gonna do?

Count Bleck posted:

The announcement says none of the cards are on the reserved list. Seeing as I'm never going to play legacy or vintage I'd have much rather they printed another modern masters set instead.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
My Wastelands are going to tank but I don't care, this is a really good chance for me to get a grip of Force of Will.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Ahahaha that guy who kept vehemently saying vintage masters wasn't real because ~reasons~. Sigma-X or so? lolol

but gently caress FOW being mythic. it's a drat uncommon.

LightReaper posted:

Seek out other card games to play friends, Magic has disappeared up it's own #MTGFinance rear end
You could play the real force of will :getin:

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Feb 15, 2016

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Sickening posted:

Every Chinese counterfeiter that hears about this announcement will laugh and continue to make money.

Personally I can't wait for the flood of Chinese Simplified FoWs onto the market for cheap, cheap prices.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I didn't see that sentence because I was hyped by the announcement and the pretty arts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Chill la Chill posted:

Ahahaha that guy who kept vehemently saying vintage masters wasn't real because ~reasons~. Sigma-X or so? lolol

but gently caress FOW being mythic. it's a drat uncommon.

And Goyf was rare, almost like rarity depends partly on the environment

• Locked thread