Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?
I doubt there's anything you could say that would make any of us less skeptical. Just be sure to bank every dime of that raise in the beginning. If it turns out to be a true permanent long term thing, then congratulations you just catapulted yourself forward in your career. If not, hey, at least you made a mint while it lasted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Ugato posted:

I doubt there's anything you could say that would make any of us less skeptical. Just be sure to bank every dime of that raise in the beginning. If it turns out to be a true permanent long term thing, then congratulations you just catapulted yourself forward in your career. If not, hey, at least you made a mint while it lasted.

:cheers:

Just submitted my signed offer letter, as well as my rejection letter to the other company.

:feelsgood:

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

psydude posted:

So, my company wants me to help form their initial NSX delivery team (we're partnering pretty heavily with VMWare for this). Before I go headlong into that, I figure getting some formalized training on VMWare beyond creating new guests in vSphere/deploying OVF templates is probably the best bet. What's the typical training track for VMWare as it relates to their virtual networking? From their website, it goes VCA6-NV, VCP6-NV, VCAP6-NV, and then the VCDX6-NV (basically the CCIE). What's the level of effort for each of these compared to, say, a CCNP or CCIE?

e: Looks like they'll waive the course requirement and let you take the VCP6-NV if you have a CCNP: R&S. That's neat.

Skip the VCA, it's pointless. The VCP6-NV is fairly easy, took me about three weeks to prep for. I can send you links to what I used to study, but it's basically read the design guide, run through the hands on labs a few times, and understand the upgrade requirements from vCNS. Not a hard exam, probably about level with the CCNA. Doesn't require a ton of knowledge about VSphere generally.

The VCAP stuff is more in depth, closer to something like an Cisco professional level cert.

YOLOsubmarine fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Feb 13, 2016

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Cool, PM sent. It looks like it's still a fairly immature exam track, which might help. I'm going to sign up for a few of their self-paced courses since my work will reimburse me anyway.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Passed the Net+ :toot:

Just barely pulled it off, 742 out of the 720 needed. Man some of the questions are shittily worded.

Ended up getting a little more subnetting than I was hoping, but fairly basic (you need x number of hosts, what should your CIDR /notation be?) I should have memorized all those, but I was too busy memorizing T1, T3 and OC speeds, which of course I did not get any questions for!

Ended up with 6 sim questions, wow were those lovely. I feel like I must have bombed most of them.
e: no warchalking/wardriving questions, which greatly disappointed me. I was ready to ace those

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK YOUR HAND IN THE TV DO IT DO IT DO IT

gooby pls posted:

Keith Barker's cbt nuggets hands on route labs were probably the most important thing that helped me pass route. If you master those labs then the sims will be easy points.

Thanks for this, I have those labs so I feel better about my chances.

I also got an extra week to study, since thanks to this ASA fiasco I'm not getting time off this week! :v:

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

Just scheduled CCNP - ROUTE for March 11th.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Sorry, I'm still decompressing a bit from the Net+, so more ranting/relieved musings on that; I'm so glad I actually memorized the stupid color codes for the TIA/EIA 568A / B wiring. When I first heard about that when studying, I was like there is no way I'm going to memorize this. But I had a nagging feeling, so I came up with a mnemonic device, and it ended up being used in one of the sim questions I actually got right, so I'm pretty sure that saved me.

George W. Gets Only White Butts But Wishes On Black Women's Butts.
(Green/White, Green, Orange/White, Blue, Blue/White, Orange, Brown/White, Brown, swap the Green and Orange for 568B).

Feel free to use that, and you're welcome

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Sorry, I'm still decompressing a bit from the Net+, so more ranting/relieved musings on that; I'm so glad I actually memorized the stupid color codes for the TIA/EIA 568A / B wiring. When I first heard about that when studying, I was like there is no way I'm going to memorize this. But I had a nagging feeling, so I came up with a mnemonic device, and it ended up being used in one of the sim questions I actually got right, so I'm pretty sure that saved me.

George W. Gets Only White Butts But Wishes On Black Women's Butts.
(Green/White, Green, Orange/White, Blue, Blue/White, Orange, Brown/White, Brown, swap the Green and Orange for 568B).

Feel free to use that, and you're welcome

I failed that sim because I had A and B backwards, but otherwise correct :negative:

To this day I've crimped one cable, it was a crossover, and not one bit of anything cared which side was A and which was B.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
Auto MDIX makes it largely useless to know but if you make cables like I do that color setup will never leave your mind.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Judge Schnoopy posted:

I failed that sim because I had A and B backwards, but otherwise correct :negative:

To this day I've crimped one cable, it was a crossover, and not one bit of anything cared which side was A and which was B.

Who the hell uses A?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

My vcp5 dcv is tomorrow, and I'm running out of room in my brain. What are the most important things to cram?

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Moey posted:

Who the hell uses A?

The US government, according to the textbook.

If you think Network+ was bad, don't even think about getting an MCSA.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

HPL posted:

The US government, according to the textbook.

If you think Network+ was bad, don't even think about getting an MCSA.

At first I took this as a rude comment, but then I realized you're probably talking about how terrible Microsoft is about poorly worded / ambiguous questions and answers.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Oh man, brutal. I know I missed a couple little things like that, because I just did not memorize the right thing/exactingly enough.

This test was much harder than the A+ for me, partly due to the sheer amount of memorization, combined with the way they like to word the tests and how they threw in a couple odd terms I had not even seen with all my months of studying (dry pipe and softphone, although I'm pretty sure I got those through process of elimination). Although I did get two softball questions in a row about evil twin APs, so that helped.

Ren and Stimpire
Oct 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

wargames posted:

Does someone have a link or access to some ccna labs? I have access to a crap ton of cisco switches and routers but no idea what to try on them.

https://www.ine.com <--- they have Workbooks and videos, a bit cheaper than cbtnuggets if a year of service is justified. Videos are a bit more detailed than cbtnuggets but the entire site is networking focused, 90% Cisco. They also offer rack rentals but you've already got access to non-production gear :)

https://www.cbtnuggets.com <--- Jeremy Cioara for theory, Keith Barker for labs/hands on.

Cisco Press books are usually pretty steep, but videos alone will probably not get you ready for tests. For CCNA R&S look at this:

http://www.ciscopress.com/store/routing-and-switching-essentials-lab-manual-9781587133206

For CCNA get the Lammle book as a reference if you're too cheap to pay for videos and want to hate your life but don't get the Cisco Press Official Cert Guide books. (Note: the Cisco cert guides for other exams are fine, Odom for CCNA R&S is terrible).

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Oh man, brutal. I know I missed a couple little things like that, because I just did not memorize the right thing/exactingly enough.

This test was much harder than the A+ for me, partly due to the sheer amount of memorization, combined with the way they like to word the tests and how they threw in a couple odd terms I had not even seen with all my months of studying (dry pipe and softphone, although I'm pretty sure I got those through process of elimination). Although I did get two softball questions in a row about evil twin APs, so that helped.

Right before taking the test I decided to make flash cards of acronyms, figuring it would help with the process of elimination on a few questions. I attribute 50% of my correct answers to those flashcards.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Marshall Louis posted:

https://www.ine.com <--- they have Workbooks and videos, a bit cheaper than cbtnuggets if a year of service is justified. Videos are a bit more detailed than cbtnuggets but the entire site is networking focused, 90% Cisco. They also offer rack rentals but you've already got access to non-production gear :)

https://www.cbtnuggets.com <--- Jeremy Cioara for theory, Keith Barker for labs/hands on.

Cisco Press books are usually pretty steep, but videos alone will probably not get you ready for tests. For CCNA R&S look at this:

http://www.ciscopress.com/store/routing-and-switching-essentials-lab-manual-9781587133206

For CCNA get the Lammle book as a reference if you're too cheap to pay for videos and want to hate your life but don't get the Cisco Press Official Cert Guide books. (Note: the Cisco cert guides for other exams are fine, Odom for CCNA R&S is terrible).

3 years ago I did the cisco academy classes at my college, but just never had the money/time to really go after the ccna, but unemployed I have time and just enough in savings to justify me going after it, problem is its been 3 years. So I am more looking for a refresher and some hands on because man I don't remember the cli.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

The Cisco exam has changed in the past 3 years. You may need more than just a refresher.

Ren and Stimpire
Oct 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

wargames posted:

3 years ago I did the cisco academy classes at my college, but just never had the money/time to really go after the ccna, but unemployed I have time and just enough in savings to justify me going after it, problem is its been 3 years. So I am more looking for a refresher and some hands on because man I don't remember the cli.

If you still have access to packet tracer from your academy classes I'd say that's still good enough for ccna r&s. I took 200-120 a year ago...be ready for lots more wan tech than the older exam versions. That subject really tripped up a friend of mine who was trying to renew this fall.

If you still have a .edu email address (and no legit pqcket trqcer access) check out Cisco VIRL. They offer a steep discount for students. In my opinion VIRL is in a weird spot where its great for the higher level Cisco certs but for CCENT or CCNA R&S you are better off with simulators or real gear. It's support for layer 2 features has improved drastically over the last year though.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

KillHour posted:

My vcp5 dcv is tomorrow, and I'm running out of room in my brain. What are the most important things to cram?
When I did 5DCV I found I had an inordinately high number of vSwitch and Uplink config questions. Go with that.

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006
Going to retake 210-260 in about an hour, hoping another week of study on weak areas will be enough to pass. I don't even care about doing great on it I just want to be done with this miscarriage of an exam

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

crunk dork posted:

Going to retake 210-260 in about an hour, hoping another week of study on weak areas will be enough to pass. I don't even care about doing great on it I just want to be done with this miscarriage of an exam

good luck

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005

crunk dork posted:

We believe in you!

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

My exam is in just over an hour, and I'm hosed.

Example questions are all over the place and ask such random poo poo. No, I don't know what specific status options are in some random sub menu or what configuration flags break FC. Jesus Christ.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Good luck on the tests. I'm scheduling my first (of four :P ) ccnp collaboration tests for next month. Time to buckle down.

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006
Failed again by 1 question probably haha

Has anyone used IINS 3.0 e-learning? Its expensive but I'd really like to be sure I'm going to pass next time instead of having to pay for two more attempts or something.

crunk dork fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Feb 15, 2016

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
You'll get em next time.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Slammed through in less than an hour and crushed it with a :420:.

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006

Bigass Moth posted:

You'll get em next time.

Let's hope so man I just shelled out the money for the eLearning after seeing people on other forums talk about how it helped a lot. Retake on the 24th

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

KillHour posted:

Slammed through in less than an hour and crushed it with a :420:.
Congrats! The 2 years shelf life of the cert is a pain in the rear end and now you get the luxury of knowing you have to start studying for your VCP6 delta exam in about 20 months.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Assuming I choose to keep it. My career went in another direction, so I'm not sure how useful it will end up being. :suicide:

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014
I'm about to dive in to study for the ICND2 again, wondering what good lab options are out there.

I've heard good things about Boson and Packet Tracer. I'd rather get something guided than try to throw together something myself in GNS3, although I've seen labs that you can buy that work in GNS3.

Anybody have any recommendations?

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

beepsandboops posted:

I'm about to dive in to study for the ICND2 again, wondering what good lab options are out there.

I've heard good things about Boson and Packet Tracer. I'd rather get something guided than try to throw together something myself in GNS3, although I've seen labs that you can buy that work in GNS3.

Anybody have any recommendations?

I bought the ICND2 flavor of Boson NetSim last weekend for ~$150 (http://www.retailmenot.com/view/boson.com). I haven't spent a lot of time with it, but I've been very happy with it so far. It's nice having fully-simulated switches instead of the switching-module-on-a-router a la GNS3 (so you can actually do port-security and such), and the labs seem nice.

I'm like you in that I do a lot better with more-structured lesson plans and such.

Packet Tracer - there's no way to legitimately obtain it without enrolling in a Cisco Networking Academy course, to my knowledge, and I personally didn't want to go that route. Your mileage may vary. It appears to be a great program.

There's also VIRL, but I don't think there's any labs for that? Not sure.

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

I bought the ICND2 flavor of Boson NetSim last weekend for ~$150. I haven't spent a lot of time with it, but I've been very happy with it so far. It's nice having fully-simulated switches instead of the switching-module-on-a-router a la GNS3 (so you can actually do port-security and such), and the labs seem nice.

I'm like you in that I do a lot better with more-structured lesson plans and such.

Packet Tracer - there's no way to legitimately obtain it without enrolling in a Cisco Networking Academy course, to my knowledge, and I personally didn't want to go that route. Your mileage may vary. It appears to be a great program.

Another option you guys might look into if you want something to supplement the Boson NetSim is the Pearson Vue network simulator. That is the one that WGU provided me with to study for both ICND1 and 2 and it was very structured with step-by-step guides to teach you. It also provides a kind of recap lab over each section to make sure you comprehend the topic and remember what you learned. Haven't used Boson NetSim personally so I'm not sure how similar that is to this.

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

I bought the ICND2 flavor of Boson NetSim last weekend for ~$150 (http://www.retailmenot.com/view/boson.com). I haven't spent a lot of time with it, but I've been very happy with it so far. It's nice having fully-simulated switches instead of the switching-module-on-a-router a la GNS3 (so you can actually do port-security and such), and the labs seem nice.

ICND2 buddy!

I'm going to pick up the Boson NetSim tonight, thanks for the link!

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Tab8715 posted:

Seriously, just skip the CompTIA certs and go straight for the real vendor certifications.

Sounds good but don't the vendor specific certs ...cost more money? It's one of the reasons I wanted to look at WGU since they have them included in their program.

Also, is it possible to get the certs of out of order or specifically required for jobs?

Ren and Stimpire
Oct 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Alder posted:

Sounds good but don't the vendor specific certs ...cost more money? It's one of the reasons I wanted to look at WGU since they have them included in their program.

Also, is it possible to get the certs of out of order or specifically required for jobs?

A+ Network+ and Security+ can be taken in any order. But unless you are government sector and need Sec+ for 8570 compliance, or you are truly new to computers and your situation warrants doing A+ or Net+ first, I'd recommend going straight to vendor certs. Generally completing a vendor cert is more expensive but the potential return on investment is significantly higher. (Most) vendor certs will also give you actual skills and not just theory you'll forget after 4 months.

tldr: IMO CompTIA is a !@#$in gravy train, and guess where they get the gravy?

Edit: friendlier language

Ren and Stimpire fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Feb 16, 2016

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Marshall Louis posted:

A+ Network+ and Security+ can be taken in any order. But unless you are government sector and need Sec+ for 8570 compliance, or you are truly new to computers and your situation warrants doing A+ or Net+ first, I'd recommend going straight to vendor certs. Generally completing a vendor cert is more expensive but the potential return on investment is significantly higher. (Most) vendor certs will also give you actual skills and not just theory you'll forget after 4 months.

tldr: IMO CompTIA is a !@#$in gravy train, and guess where they get the gravy?

Edit: friendlier language

Alright, thanks. I figured since I'm fairly new I'd be better off completing A+ then N+ then moving on but I don't see a help desk jobs offers really getting any better even if I had A+. Regardless I will keep trying to send apps I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ren and Stimpire
Oct 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Alder posted:

Alright, thanks. I figured since I'm fairly new I'd be better off completing A+ then N+ then moving on but I don't see a help desk jobs offers really getting any better even if I had A+. Regardless I will keep trying to send apps I guess.

Do you have an idea of what you'd want to work on within IT?