Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Putty posted:

What the hell was up with Animorphs? Animorphs was weird.

Animorphs was cool until the lady and her army of ghostwriters decided she was writing serious fiction instead of kids being animals and that being cool as gently caress.

I remember googling the ending of the series and finding out it ends with all of them depressed and destroyed and killing themselves in a final sacrifice against an unstoppable alien menace

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I started reading the Walking Dead novels.

They're real bad

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

boom boom boom posted:

I started reading the Walking Dead novels.

They're real bad

drat, what a surprise.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Animorphs was cool until the lady and her army of ghostwriters decided she was writing serious fiction instead of kids being animals and that being cool as gently caress.

I remember googling the ending of the series and finding out it ends with all of them depressed and destroyed and killing themselves in a final sacrifice against an unstoppable alien menace

They don't die though (probably). The final scene is a call-back to a sequence earlier in the series where another character does something similar and snatches a major victory from the jaws of defeat. That last book is a mess. The first two thirds want to be this sombre, gritty examination of soldiers returning to civilian life (as much as a silly action/adventure book for 10 year olds can be - you still get really cheesy chapters where the kids namedrop all the famous people that they've gotten to meet because they saved the world). Then it's "gently caress that depressing poo poo, lets head to space and have cool space adventures" (which they do, mostly off screen). Then it wraps up on a note of cartoonishly grotesque body horror/ultraviolence. It's a crap ending, but a pretty accurate representation of the series as a whole.

High Warlord Zog fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Feb 13, 2016

The_Angry_Turtle
Aug 2, 2007

BLARGH
I keep reading reviews criticizing fantasy and sci fi books for being too white and European and its starting to rub me the wrong way. You could rightly accuse publishers of not promoting work by non-white and non-European authors but faulting the authors themselves is just lazy and misguided. If everyone took that criticism to heart we'd likely just wind up with some half baked characters shoved in to fill a quota and more than a few goofy caricatures. I'd much rather read books written from the perspective of another race, nationality, sex, or whatever by someone in that group rather than a bunch of people who aren't but are trying to imagine really really hard.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
It seems like the solution is to buy and read good sci-fi fantasy books written by non-whites and non-Europenas, and tell people about them and encourage people to buy and read those books.

Sometimes it can be hard to tell if a writer is white or not tho. If there's no author picture on the dust cover you just have to guess

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

boom boom boom posted:

It seems like the solution is to buy and read good sci-fi fantasy books written by non-whites and non-Europenas, and tell people about them and encourage people to buy and read those books.

Sometimes it can be hard to tell if a writer is white or not tho. If there's no author picture on the dust cover you just have to guess

Is it a fantasy novel?

It's a white guy.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
Plenty of white women in fantasy.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Peztopiary posted:

Plenty of white women in fantasy.

yeah they are the healers

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Is it a fantasy novel?

It's a white guy.

Ursula k Leguin
Anne Mccafrey
Joan Vinge

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

boom boom boom posted:

Ursula k Leguin
Anne Mccafrey
Joan Vinge
Nnedi Okorafor

Really, shouldn't poo poo like this be taken care of by the death of the author?

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

anilEhilated posted:

Nnedi Okorafor

Really, shouldn't poo poo like this be taken care of by the death of the author?

Please don't murder authors

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Kill all white authors.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

anilEhilated posted:

Nnedi Okorafor

I don't think you know what death of the author means.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
The real author of the text is the reader, so fantasy is now even white maler.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

The Death of the Author was an event that occurred in the fall of 1967 when all texts were rendered completely anonymous due to a word virus trojaned into academia by a French mentalhacker

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

boom boom boom posted:

Have you considered... light novels?

The_Angry_Turtle
Aug 2, 2007

BLARGH
open new tab

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Death_of_the_Author

ctrl-F "Foucault"

1/5 result

Close tab

Nope, I don't loving care.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Also I love Patrick Rothfuss so much I started a read-along. Kill me.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

The_Angry_Turtle posted:

open new tab

ctrl-F "Foucault"

1/5 result

Close tab

ahahahahahahahahahahahaha look at this stupid fucker right here

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Death of the Author is amazing because its a crazy simple concept but 70% of people misinterpret its meaning because they never actually read the six page article or they skimmed wikipedia

EDIT: Like Pleasure of the Text is a fundamentally difficult concept to understand. Death of the Author is simple.

Mel Mudkiper fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Feb 15, 2016

The_Angry_Turtle
Aug 2, 2007

BLARGH
simple concept wrapped in post-modernist word salad

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Also I love Patrick Rothfuss so much I started a read-along. Kill me.
Good luck when you get to the Sex Fairy Dimension.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

The_Angry_Turtle posted:

Barthes wasn't a post-modernist bro

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

How are you even meant to pronounce Foucault it's not a word.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

CestMoi posted:

How are you even meant to pronounce Foucault it's not a word.

"fucko"

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
20% off day at the HPB got some good stuff for, like, ten bucks

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

The_Angry_Turtle posted:

Barthes isn't post modernist nor is his writing very difficult to understand, perhaps you're just really stupid?

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

I wasn't paying attention
to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
in a more interesting way?
Hell Gem

boom boom boom posted:

20% off day at the HPB got some good stuff for, like, ten bucks

The Running Man is good. Not as good as The Long Walk, but still really good.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I just read the Wikipedia article in less than 10 minutes. The concept is pretty simple, especially since it's Mel Mudkiper's life motto.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

The_Angry_Turtle posted:

open new tab

ctrl-F "Foucault"

1/5 result

Close tab

I read this as "Foucault isn't mentioned enough times" and thought that was a pretty good angle

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Franchescanado posted:

Yeah, I just read the Wikipedia article in less than 10 minutes. The concept is pretty simple, especially since it's Mel Mudkiper's life motto.

I was about to disagree with this and then I realized it was actually kinda true so whelp

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I was about to disagree with this and then I realized it was actually kinda true so whelp

Wasn't meant as an insult, just an illustrative point.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Your intent is unimportant.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Squishy posted:

Your intent is unimportant.

:golfclap:

The_Angry_Turtle
Aug 2, 2007

BLARGH

A human heart posted:

Barthes isn't post modernist nor is his writing very difficult to understand, perhaps you're just really stupid?

not difficult to understand but lets be real here critical theory is pointless

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
it angers ppl on the internet so it's not pointless.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
tbf there is literally (archaic meaning) nothing on the Internet that someone somewhere won't get angry about.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Umberto Eco, writer and philosopher, is dead at the age of 84. Eco leaves behind a family, and a legacy of novels, children's books, literary criticism, and philosophical works.

e: Oh, news already broke in the serious thread

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Feb 20, 2016

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Umberto Eco, writer and philosopher, is dead at the age of 84. Eco leaves behind a family, and a legacy of novels, children's books, literary criticism, and philosophical works.

e: Oh, news already broke in the serious thread

Old news by now I guess but I'm still bummed. I've only read The Name of the Rose so far, but that book is fantastic enough on its own, let alone his huge and broad catalogue of work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
My favorite's The Island of the Day Before.