Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

When using Excel's Solver, how do you set a cell's constraint so it is strictly greater than zero? (i.e. >0 not ≥0)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
drat, talk about burying the lede. I hadn't heard about scalia when I read that, and just now made the connection.

Doing business with only eight justices isn't that unusual, even with a full panel. If one of them was involved with a case in a lower court (generally newer appointees) they'll often recuse themselves from the Supreme Court decision. Pretty sure Kagan did that shortly after she was appointed.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Vegetable posted:

When using Excel's Solver, how do you set a cell's constraint so it is strictly greater than zero? (i.e. >0 not ≥0)

Can you do [> 0 AND != 0]?

Alternately, if excel will take Calc formulas, you could do [lim x->0+]

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Mister Kingdom posted:

Why do most microwave popcorn packages say DO NOT USE THE POPCORN BUTTON? What's the point of the popcorn button on microwaves when the popcorn makers insist you don't use it?

Most likely it's a legal CYA.

Most popcorn buttons are usually just the microwave running for maybe 5 or 10 minutes depending on the power. Normal people know that once the popcorn stops popping, then it's time stop the microwave and eat some popcorn. Idiots can argue that they stuck the popcorn in a microwave, pushed the popcorn button and ended up with a bag of inedible burnt popcorn. Then they can sue because that's false advertising or some such.

Rather than deal with the threat of lawsuits, it's much easier to just have a legal disclaimer to say "Hey, we explicitly told you not to do that. You did that anyway. That's not our fault. (Dumbass)"

So is there rhyme or reason to how Facebook posts are organized?

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Feb 14, 2016

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I usually read a few strips on GoComics in the morning, but I can't access it today. IsUp.me says the site is up, and a tracert gave me these results:
pre:
  1     2 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  192.168.1.1
  2    13 ms    11 ms    11 ms  96.120.42.137
  3     9 ms    11 ms    20 ms  xe-11-0-0-sur04.holt.mi.michigan.comcast.net [69.139.243.165]
  4    16 ms    17 ms    17 ms  te-0-2-0-7-ar02.pontiac.mi.michigan.comcast.net [68.86.140.69]
  5    16 ms    14 ms    15 ms  ae2.bar1.Detroit1.Level3.net [4.68.71.33]
  6    22 ms    35 ms    34 ms  vl-4.ebr2.Chicago1.Level3.net [4.69.202.226]
  7    20 ms    26 ms    21 ms  ae-2-52.edge5.Chicago1.Level3.net [4.69.138.40]
  8    22 ms    21 ms    21 ms  ae-32-52.ebr2.Chicago1.Level3.net [4.69.138.62]
  9    20 ms    22 ms    23 ms  ae-2-52.edge6.Chicago1.Level3.net [4.69.138.41]
 10    23 ms    24 ms    23 ms  ae-32-52.ebr2.Chicago1.Level3.net [4.69.138.62]
 11    22 ms    20 ms    22 ms  ae-2-52.edge5.Chicago1.Level3.net [4.69.138.40]
 12   127 ms    37 ms    21 ms  ae-32-52.ebr2.Chicago1.Level3.net [4.69.138.62]
 13    29 ms    21 ms    22 ms  ae-2-52.edge6.Chicago1.Level3.net [4.69.138.41]
 14    21 ms    21 ms    22 ms  ae-32-52.ebr2.Chicago1.Level3.net [4.69.138.62]
 15    32 ms    20 ms    26 ms  ae-2-52.edge5.Chicago1.Level3.net [4.69.138.40]
 16    19 ms    22 ms    20 ms  ae-32-52.ebr2.Chicago1.Level3.net [4.69.138.62]
 17    22 ms    22 ms    25 ms  ae-2-52.edge6.Chicago1.Level3.net [4.69.138.41]
 18     *       23 ms    60 ms  ae-32-52.ebr2.Chicago1.Level3.net [4.69.138.62]
 19    23 ms    20 ms    22 ms  ae-2-52.edge5.Chicago1.Level3.net [4.69.138.40]
 20    22 ms    27 ms    22 ms  ae-32-52.ebr2.Chicago1.Level3.net [4.69.138.62]
 21    22 ms    22 ms    23 ms  ae-2-52.edge6.Chicago1.Level3.net [4.69.138.41]
 22    22 ms     *       22 ms  ae-32-52.ebr2.Chicago1.Level3.net [4.69.138.62]
 23    26 ms    21 ms    21 ms  ae-2-52.edge5.Chicago1.Level3.net [4.69.138.40]
 24    24 ms    34 ms    22 ms  ae-32-52.ebr2.Chicago1.Level3.net [4.69.138.62]
 25   194 ms    20 ms    28 ms  ae-2-52.edge6.Chicago1.Level3.net [4.69.138.41]
 26    38 ms    20 ms    20 ms  ae-32-52.ebr2.Chicago1.Level3.net [4.69.138.62]
 27    23 ms    20 ms    32 ms  ae-2-52.edge5.Chicago1.Level3.net [4.69.138.40]
 28    20 ms    23 ms    25 ms  ae-32-52.ebr2.Chicago1.Level3.net [4.69.138.62]
 29    32 ms    29 ms    29 ms  ae-2-52.edge6.Chicago1.Level3.net [4.69.138.41]
 30    22 ms    28 ms    24 ms  ae-32-52.ebr2.Chicago1.Level3.net [4.69.138.62]
It looks like it's just hopping around between three IPs in Chicago. I did a simple ping and all four attempts received a TTL expired in transit message from IP 4.69.138.62. Is this simply a Comcast fuckup? I haven't noticed any problems with any other pages today.

ETA: It seems to time out on a Verizon data signal, but no browser error message.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

thrakkorzog posted:

So is there rhyme or reason to how Facebook posts are organized?

They have a complicated proprietary algorithm for it, which doesn't really work at what they intended it to do (it's supposed to be "what you find interesting" or some sort of trash along that lines).

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I recommend cooking straight up popcorn kernels in a pot on the stove with some oil. It takes a little longer but you get much fewer unpopped kernels and it tastes much better, add your butter and poo poo afterward. I can't stand the weird margarine taste of microwaved popcorn now.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
What SNL episode is this gif from?

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
Is it normal for 20,000 photos to take 50GB of space? Or do you suspect there may be some RAW files taking up all that data?

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Busy Bee posted:

Is it normal for 20,000 photos to take 50GB of space? Or do you suspect there may be some RAW files taking up all that data?

That would be normal if they're 4k resolution (assuming JPGs).

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Busy Bee posted:

That averages to 2.5 megabytes per photo. That's pretty typical if they're high resolution JPEGs in good quality - a 12 megapixel JPEG from a modern digital camera can be anywhere between 2 and 5 megabytes depending on the precise picture and compression ratio.

Of course if these pictures are much lower resolution, like 2 or 3 megapixel, then you might have some RAW in there taking up space, because lower resolution pictures will be much smaller.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Jewel Repetition posted:

What SNL episode is this gif from?

That's Kristen Wiig. Here's the clip the gif is from

Gobbeldygook fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Feb 14, 2016

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

How do you pronounce the r in Heimdallr? Or in any other norse words that end with an r immediately following a consonant, like Nidhoggr or Volundr.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I don't claim to know, but I do know that you can write the words without it so my guess would be that it's silent.

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Why does my cheap knock off ipod charging cable take so long to charge the device?

With my original cord I could play and the % would still rise, with my first third party cord the % would hold steady if I played, however this new one slowly drops over time if I play while its charging.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

504 posted:

Why does my cheap knock off ipod charging cable take so long to charge the device?

With my original cord I could play and the % would still rise, with my first third party cord the % would hold steady if I played, however this new one slowly drops over time if I play while its charging.

Because it's made out of the cheapest stuff available.

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich
I guessed that.

But why is it so much less conductive(?) and why is knock off cable #2 so much worse than #1?

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Cheaper cables use cheaper copper with more impurities, and thus lower conductivity. Solder joints are dry or just poorly done. Overall cable is less conductive and sometimes changes with the cable moving around. Your iPod doesn't like the variable power due to the variable resistance, so it charges slower.

There's a big range of what cables will pass QC and also last long enough to charge your iPod more than 2 times at that quality.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

504 posted:

I guessed that.

But why is it so much less conductive(?) and why is knock off cable #2 so much worse than #1?

Looks like gauges, manufacturing tolerances, and durability have some impact on performance. http://lifehacker.com/cables-can-significantly-impact-the-charging-speed-of-y-1532784722

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

Is there a good app for android that allows me to watch Youtube videos with a friend? The only one I've found is DabKick, but it's lacking a lot of functions like being able to queue up videos. I would rather not use mobile browser because it's too tedious to type on the small screen.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Bioshuffle posted:

Is there a good app for android that allows me to watch Youtube videos with a friend? The only one I've found is DabKick, but it's lacking a lot of functions like being able to queue up videos. I would rather not use mobile browser because it's too tedious to type on the small screen.

I know the web version of Hangouts allows this, so I'm guessing the Android version probably does too?

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

504 posted:

When you charge something off of USB or w/e the standard only allows for low current draw initially, the device has to negotiate with the host, or detect the current that a charger can supply. For chargers the standard says put a resistor on the data lines, and the device can detect this and work out how much current it's allowed to draw, apple devices iirc don't stick to the standard for chargers and that's why third party ones often don't allow apple device to charge fast.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Jewel Repetition posted:

How do you pronounce the r in Heimdallr? Or in any other norse words that end with an r immediately following a consonant, like Nidhoggr or Volundr.

There's nothing weird to it, liquid consonants like /r/ or /l/ have similar properties to vowels, so they can be syllabic and thus take positions that look weird to English speakers (see here for a famous example). The Old Norse r was probably the trilled Spanish /r/, but any rhotic is pronounceable in those positions. You can try saying it with a schwa between the consonant and the /r/ and then gradually reducing the schwa. Or, if it helps, you can compare it to English words like "little" or "even" that can similarly end in a syllabic consonant (/ˈlɪtl̩/, /ˈivn̩/).

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
How common is the first base/second base/etc. metaphor for sex in England where they don't really play baseball? Are there similar expressions referring to soccer or croquet or whatever?

Disappointing egg
Jun 21, 2007

stubblyhead posted:

How common is the first base/second base/etc. metaphor for sex in England where they don't really play baseball? Are there similar expressions referring to soccer or croquet or whatever?

We use cricket positions instead. The ultimate goal is to reach silly mid on.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

By and large if you're willing to talk about what you did, here in the UK you don't feel the need to dress it up in euphemisms.

But yes sometimes you want to try to get a maiden over without going leg side.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

stubblyhead posted:

In Canada we use curling expressions.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

tuyop posted:

In Canada we use curling expressions.

Is that because most of your propositions get left on ice?

DavidAlltheTime
Feb 14, 2008

All David...all the TIME!
'Hurry hard! Hurry Hard! Hard!'

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ras Het posted:

There's nothing weird to it, liquid consonants like /r/ or /l/ have similar properties to vowels, so they can be syllabic and thus take positions that look weird to English speakers (see here for a famous example). The Old Norse r was probably the trilled Spanish /r/, but any rhotic is pronounceable in those positions. You can try saying it with a schwa between the consonant and the /r/ and then gradually reducing the schwa. Or, if it helps, you can compare it to English words like "little" or "even" that can similarly end in a syllabic consonant (/ˈlɪtl̩/, /ˈivn̩/).

So Nidhoggr is pronounced about the same as Nidhogger?

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Jewel Repetition posted:

So Nidhoggr is pronounced about the same as Nidhogger?

Nith-hogger, but yeah, close enough afaict.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

stubblyhead posted:

It's not a thing at all outside of the US. I can't quickly think of any sport metaphor related to sex. Maybe 'scoring' but that's a bit of a stretch.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

Ciaphas posted:

Last one on the subject, then, before I (probably) take it to GWS. I got a $15 bottle of 2013 Riesling since Thanatosian described it as "drinkable by just about anyone". It's not undrinkable, but after having a glass over the course of an hour I can't say I really enjoy it much either. I know it's not exactly a top shelf wine, but still, would it be fair to say I shouldn't expect much out of other white wines, and maybe try a red instead (or perhaps forget wine altogether)? Or is this sort of thing highly variable even for an uncouth barbarian like me :v:

Use the rest of this for deglazing some chicken this weekend, maybe. Yummeh

(edit) Oh, I guess it's Something Offal now, not Goons with Spoons. Shows how much attention I pay.

There are many bars/restaurants that offer tasting flights. You can typically get a small pour of 4 different beers or wines for like $10-15. Just search yelp or google for "gastropub" for your area and see what's around. That's the keyword for snooty bars that serve all craft beer. Bartenders are hit or miss with their knowledge but they'll typically be happy to explain every detail about the beers if it isn't busy, and you usually get to choose which 4 you'd like in your tasting flight. It's only like 4oz per pour so if you don't like something then no harm done.

Drinks are incredibly subjective and massively varied so white wine vs red wine isn't enough to categorize them, though it's a decent start. Pinot Grigio is pretty mild but a bit more dry nowhere near as sugary sweet as a Riesling. Chardonnay can be really buttery or oaky depending on how it's made. Sauvignon Blanc are sometimes grassy, though certain ones (like New Zealand wines) taste like tropical fruit without being overly sweet. Even within rieslings you'll see a bit of difference. Point being, don't write off whites altogether because of one brand. Reds are the same way, with a huge amount of variance between sweet dessert wines and the bolder styles.

It's like lumping everything together by saying "juice." Apple, pineapple, orange, cranberry, carrot, etc. Every juice tastes much different and you can't say "I don't like juice" just because you're not a fan of prune juice. Go to beer or wine tastings because it's the best way to try a huge variety of styles for cheap, and each sample is only a few oz so you don't have to suffer through what you don't like. If you have one near you then retailers like BevMo or Total Wine do a weekly tasting that's like $2 or free with purchase in store.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Tesseraction posted:

By and large if you're willing to talk about what you did, here in the UK you don't feel the need to dress it up in euphemisms.

But yes sometimes you want to try to get a maiden over without going leg side.

You (Brits) also tend to use the word "oval office" in casual conversation, so perhaps decorum and subtlety are not your strong suits.

And do you mean to say there are no euphemisms for a progression of sex acts like the baseball analogy? Or just no sports themed ones?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

CzarChasm posted:

You (Brits) also tend to use the word "oval office" in casual conversation, so perhaps decorum and subtlety are not your strong suits.

And do you mean to say there are no euphemisms for a progression of sex acts like the baseball analogy? Or just no sports themed ones?

Oh yeah, you're right, lack of decorum and subtlety is the problem of the countries that don't feel the need to brag about their sexual conquests to everyone who will listen.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Sorry if this is worded poorly and I sound like an idiot, but this is confusing the poo poo out of me. In the past I have been paid every other Friday at my job. The pay period ended one week before payday. Now they just switched it to the first and fifteenth of the month, and the pay period now ends two weeks prior to payday. They gave me an early partial check for one weeks work to "offset it" at the end of last month. Now here we are today and I receive another check for one weeks work. My boss is telling me this all works out, but as far I can tell I'm essentially losing a weeks worth of pay. Not in the sense that I will never get paid for it, but I essentially have to eat it for as long as I work there and it would be square on my hypothetical last paycheck.

here's a breakdown if it helps

Jan 22- My last full 2 week paycheck. Pay period was for Jan 4-15 (i'm only counting weekdays)
Jan29- Early pay check. Paid for one week+a couple of days due to pay period change
Feb 5- This would have been my next full paycheck if the pay period hadn't changed
Feb 15-another check for 1 week (this one says pay period is 1/16-1/31 on the check but they wrote that it's for 1/23-1/31 so something weird is going on here)

When I talked to her earlier today her explanation was "we paid you a week early for one week, and a week late for the next" so in the end it works out the same as if you had got paid in full on your normal payday. This seems wrong though. Is my math off here or am I basically eating a weeks pay because of this change?

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Feb 16, 2016

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

NESguerilla posted:

In the past I have been paid every other Friday at my job. The pay period ended one week before payday. Now they just switched it to the first and fifteenth of the month, and the pay period now ends two weeks prior to payday.
The pay period used to end one week before payday, and now it ends two weeks before payday, so yes, you have to float that extra week for everything to even out.

Jan 22 - Jan 04-15 days worked.
Jan 29 - Jan 15-22 days worked.
Feb 15 - Jan 23-31 days worked.
Mar 01 - Feb 01-15 days worked.
Mar 15 - Feb 16-29 days worked.
...etc.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
Someday, when you quit, you will get an additional paycheck two weeks after you're gone.

It's common practice in many workplaces. I don't have enough knowledge to say "most", but I've had it most of my career.

I've since moved on from employee to employer, and it is way, way easier to do payroll with a week (or two) between the end of the pay period and payday.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
My toilet has hard water stains in the bottom of the bowl. I suctioned all the water out of the bowl and dumped in straight vinegar about 8 hours ago. I swish it around with the toilet brush every time I walk past. Most of the hard water stuff has come off of the sides (with some scrubbing), but the way bottom still had hard water stuff in it. I'm about to go to bed, and I'll let it soak another 8 hours.

The vinegar that's in the bowl... is it all used up? Is it potent still? Should I flush it down and start with new vinegar?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

photomikey posted:

My toilet has hard water stains in the bottom of the bowl. I suctioned all the water out of the bowl and dumped in straight vinegar about 8 hours ago. I swish it around with the toilet brush every time I walk past. Most of the hard water stuff has come off of the sides (with some scrubbing), but the way bottom still had hard water stuff in it. I'm about to go to bed, and I'll let it soak another 8 hours.

The vinegar that's in the bowl... is it all used up? Is it potent still? Should I flush it down and start with new vinegar?

Why not? Vinegar is like 25 cents a gallon. Go hog wild, though it sucks you have to siphon it all out I guess.